[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi rimmi2002

1 FakeSMC.kext can now be run from your /Extra/Extensions folder if you want. Slice is posting all the latest builds of FakeSMC and it's plugins in the Downloads topic from the following sub-dir at ProjectOSX.

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showforum=165

2 That link you have to iFabio's unnofficial RC5 installer is good and if you scroll to the bottom of the opening post, you'll see that there's a trunk changelog showing what's changed. Or if you prefer to keep your eye directly on the latest Chameleon updates then you can always look at the current repo which is here. Keep your eye on the trunk Rev number as that shows exactly where the trunk is at.

3 Duvel300 showed us all how to fix restart by modifying the FADT.aml ACPI table in December 2009. Here's a link to read up. There should be some earlier posts too where more is talked about it if you want to read it. As to what number in the chameleon builds the restart fix was introduced I can't be certain without doing more research but it was not long after RC4 was released and Asere included it in his modified builds. Your current version RC5 rev593 should have it enabled by default.

For mm67's shutdown fix in your DSDT, the only way to be sure, other than by trying it to see if it works, is to decompile your DSDT.aml and look and the dsdt.dsl file to find it. I can't remember the exact code to look for you can find it somewhere in the Gigabyte DSDT fix thread, start by looking around this post.

Hi rimmi2002

1 FakeSMC.kext can now be run from your /Extra/Extensions folder if you want. Slice is posting all the latest builds of FakeSMC and it's plugins in the Downloads topic from the following sub-dir at ProjectOSX.

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showforum=165

2 That link you have to iFabio's unnofficial RC5 installer is good and if you scroll to the bottom of the opening post, you'll see that there's a trunk changelog showing what's changed. Or if you prefer to keep your eye directly on the latest Chameleon updates then you can always look at the current repo which is here. Keep your eye on the trunk Rev number as that shows exactly where the trunk is at.

3 Duvel300 showed us all how to fix restart by modifying the FADT.aml ACPI table in December 2009. Here's a link to read up. There should be some earlier posts too where more is talked about it if you want to read it. As to what number in the chameleon builds the restart fix was introduced I can't be certain without doing more research but it was not long after RC4 was released and Asere included it in his modified builds. Your current version RC5 rev593 should have it enabled by default.

For mm67's shutdown fix in your DSDT, the only way to be sure, other than by trying it to see if it works, is to decompile your DSDT.aml and look and the dsdt.dsl file to find it. I can't remember the exact code to look for you can find it somewhere in the Gigabyte DSDT fix thread, start by looking around this post.

Awesome! Thanks for your help BlackOSX.

hi blackosx,

need some advice from you again.

1. I used enable dropssdt, generatecstates and generatepstates for my hack. No error message appears in kernel log, so i assume it's working fine now. But can I be sure? Any decent way to check if speedstep is really working from time to time? my mem detection is okay cus i can see that from "about my mac".

p.s. Coolbook is not working for me.

2. i have download the truck of chameleon, how could i build it for usage in xcode?

Hi muitommy

1. One option is to use VoodooMonitor app to view temps, p-states and monitor stepping. It works alongside VoodooMonitor.kext which you can throw in to your /Extra/Extensions folder. See here for an attachment. Also, I don't think coolbook is recommended as I think I've read it uses it's own alog's for doing it's work.

2. I compile Chameleon using the make command in Terminal. I haven't tried doing it through Xcode.

HI blackosx!

Some weeks ago, I asked you for instructions in order to update my soft from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5. But you were bussy probably. Now I like to ask you for some help to go from 10.6.4 to 10.6.6

Can you help me? I´ll like to know witch files change, and how to do it. At the end I´ll write a guide for someone else.

My hardware

mobo GA-EP45-UD3L

Video 8800GT

HDD 750 Gb samsung

2 monitors Samsung 2253NW

Thanks again my friend!

Hi relenti

I don't know exactly what changed between 10.6.4 and 10.6.6 as I upgraded to 10.6.5 then 10.6.6 over the course of a couple of months. Looking at my posts here for the 10.6.5 and 10.6.6 updates, which to be honest you could have done, shows what I did for my EP45-DS3L and the only real thing I needed to do was to make sure I had a patched AppleHDA binary for my ALC888.

I don't use NullCPUPM....kext so I don't need and therefore don't have to worry about sleepenabler. I think there were changes to some ATI video drivers, but as I use an NVidia card then I don't know about supporting ATI cards.

But if in doubt, always have your data backed up and always apply a system update to a secondary OS X installation on your machine first to test everything before applying to your main system install. It's also worth having a USB flash drive tucked away with a bootloader installed, like Chameleon, with only the bare essentials needed to boot your system. i.e. fakesmc.kext. Then if you have something in your /Extra folder which clashes with an update then you can always resort back to booting with the USB.

Don't be scared to experiment yourself with these updates. The PDF's I put together for this topic were aimed at outlining the basic information needed to get an OS X Snow Leopard system up an running on the GA-EP45-DS3L and to help arm the reader with some knowledge. Different boards might/will require different steps but more probably different files and patches. But the key here is learning what makes your system tick and understanding what the files do. Then when the next update comes out, you will have the necessary info/skills/tools to attempt it confidently without having to wait for me to write the steps that worked for me.

Hope that helps.

Regards :)

Hi BlackOSx. I'm have a general problem with snow leopard. Wondering if you or anyone else knows anything about it. Lately my spotlight keeps indexing for hours and hours on. It keeps saying "Estimating indexing time" No actual time ever comes up. Any idea what could be going on? Any help will be great. Thanks.

hi,

i've got 2 problem that i think they may be the same one.

it's all started when i tried to start angry birds which worked awesome last night. it didn't worked and crashed, tried start another game didn't work.

i went to Time Machine hopefully the last night file will do a magic and nothing happens. Time Machine Star Wars interface is not showing up. all i have is finder-like-time-machine-interface with nothing around. no scale date, no star wars interface nothing !!!

I didn't do anything to my computer suddenly it's was happened.

any ideas? it may be some how related to graphic card?

Hi itorra - I haven't used Time Machine on my hack but has it been working perfectly for you before? You mention reverting back to last night's backup so I presume it was.

I doubt a crashed Angry Birds could cause Time Machine to fail. Why do you think your time machine problem is related to your video card?

I would suggest reading some of the Apple support pages for Time Machine to help you clear it's caches and see if you can get it working again. Also check your system log for any indicator to what happened.

@rimmi2002 - well done with sorting your own problem.

Hi itorra - I haven't used Time Machine on my hack but has it been working perfectly for you before? You mention reverting back to last night's backup so I presume it was.

I doubt a crashed Angry Birds could cause Time Machine to fail. Why do you think your time machine problem is related to your video card?

I would suggest reading some of the Apple support pages for Time Machine to help you clear it's caches and see if you can get it working again. Also check your system log for any indicator to what happened.

well it's was all the same problem. TM, AB and my osx86.

as is said it's all started when AB didn't start properly so i decided to try and get the .app of last night problem from TM.

TM also didn't start properly so i assumed it's the same problem beacuse the graphic they have in common. looked inside my graphic card in system profiler and ta-dam no video card's there.

so digging apple website didn't help, restart the machine didn't help. only few hours later i turned down the machine gave it few minutes and everything is ok.

Okay, I did something extremely ignorant this afternoon. :)

My comp: EP45-DS3L, OS 10.6.6, everything was working fine.

My partition tree:

SSD (boot):

1.) Boot

2.) OSX

HDD (storage):

1.) Data

The first partition on my SSD ("Boot") held my Chameleon bootloader files and extra kexts for my configuration. I deleted this with the intention of upgrading to the latest Cham RC5 by going to disk utility and "erasing" the Boot partition. After restarting my computer, no bootloader could be found (I obviously didn't install Chameleon properly).

So I made a USB with Chameleon per the instructions found on the opening post. Chameleon boots and finds my OSX partition, but when I click it, I'm prompted with "can't find mach_kernel." I'm automatically returned Chameleon's main menu, so I tried it again (this time, with the "-x" flag for a safe boot), and the system kernel panics.

Does anyone have *any* recommendations whatsoever, so I don't have to reformat my entire system?

Hi RKmd

Don't worry, you won't need to reformat your system.

Your quickest option might be to try the BootCD, but a bootable USB should work just fine. I have three different ones here and they have saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

I know you've already made one but if you have access to an OS X system then try making a bootable USB again using the latest Chameleon RC5 files from the trunk. Here you go.

Chameleon_RC5_699.zip

You've got the instructions in the PDF and for speed just add fakesmc.kext to /Extra/Extensions.

looked inside my graphic card in system profiler and ta-dam no video card's there.

That makes sense now as to why both Angry Birds' and Time Machine's video failed to initialise, sorry I didn't spot that sooner for you. I'm glad to hear you have your video injection working again now, but it's strange that it stopped working for you in the first place..

blackosx, I just wanted to thank you for your clear and concise guide you have created here.

Thanks to it I have managed to create a manually installed bang up to date hack and installation USB that so far run like a dream!

I have also recently purchased an Iomega MiniMax 2TB external HD for use with my Airport Extreme Base Station and Time Machine from which last night I successfully restored the full system (As a test only of course!).

With some futher tweaks and guide from Lnx2Mac, MaLd0n (& others!) my DSDT.aml is working great, Bonjour is up and running, I can do any form of sleep, I now have a fully working Bluetooth system and my Logitech Harmony 885 remote behaves exactly as the Apple remote!

The only thing I can think of that needs work is fan speed monitoring using the latest FakeSMC.kext.

Hi relenti

I don't know exactly what changed between 10.6.4 and 10.6.6 as I upgraded to 10.6.5 then 10.6.6 over the course of a couple of months. Looking at my posts here for the 10.6.5 and 10.6.6 updates, which to be honest you could have done, shows what I did for my EP45-DS3L and the only real thing I needed to do was to make sure I had a patched AppleHDA binary for my ALC888.

I don't use NullCPUPM....kext so I don't need and therefore don't have to worry about sleepenabler. I think there were changes to some ATI video drivers, but as I use an NVidia card then I don't know about supporting ATI cards.

But if in doubt, always have your data backed up and always apply a system update to a secondary OS X installation on your machine first to test everything before applying to your main system install. It's also worth having a USB flash drive tucked away with a bootloader installed, like Chameleon, with only the bare essentials needed to boot your system. i.e. fakesmc.kext. Then if you have something in your /Extra folder which clashes with an update then you can always resort back to booting with the USB.

Don't be scared to experiment yourself with these updates. The PDF's I put together for this topic were aimed at outlining the basic information needed to get an OS X Snow Leopard system up an running on the GA-EP45-DS3L and to help arm the reader with some knowledge. Different boards might/will require different steps but more probably different files and patches. But the key here is learning what makes your system tick and understanding what the files do. Then when the next update comes out, you will have the necessary info/skills/tools to attempt it confidently without having to wait for me to write the steps that worked for me.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Thank you blackosx !

I´m always scared about the updates, thanks for your help

I´ll do this for update from 10.6.4 to 10.6.6

- First as you said I´ll make a backup of the Cham disk

1- I´m runing SleepEnabler so I´ll save it in another place and keep it in order to put it again after the update (by the way after the update I just save the sleepenabler.kext in the E/E folder as a normal file?)

2- The I update with the apple update to 10.6.6 and reboot it

3- In 10.6.6, I´ll need to change the AppleHDA.kext from SL/S/L/E for the file that you put it in the post with this instructions:

To add the replacement AppleHDA.kext to /System/Library/Extensions:

Using the Finder, copy the original 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions by dragging it somewhere safe. Then delete that 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions by dragging it to the bin (you'll need to authenticate with your password).

Then put the new patched AppleHDA.kext on your desktop, load up Terminal and do something like this:

cd ~/Desktop

sudo -s

cp -R AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

EDIT: This next step has been added to help the process (Note: It's all one line).

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

exit

If you want, you can then load Disk Utility and repair permissions just to make sure everything is set right.

Then reboot, and the system will update the caches.

4- put back the sleepenabler.kext (do I need to use terminal or something????

5 - Reboot n finish.

I understand there`s no change in the 10.6.6 update, so that´s all

Please correct me if I´m wrong.

Thank you very much! :thumbsup_anim:

...I have managed to create a manually installed bang up to date hack and installation USB that so far run like a dream!

.../snip/...

The only thing I can think of that needs work is fan speed monitoring using the latest FakeSMC.kext.

Nice one D-an-W :)

I've answered your PM with regards to the FakeSMC plugins.

Thank you blackosx !

I´m always scared about the updates, thanks for your help

I´ll do this for update from 10.6.4 to 10.6.6

- First as you said I´ll make a backup of the Cham disk

1- I´m runing SleepEnabler so I´ll save it in another place and keep it in order to put it again after the update (by the way after the update I just save the sleepenabler.kext in the E/E folder as a normal file?)

2- The I update with the apple update to 10.6.6 and reboot it

3- In 10.6.6, I´ll need to change the AppleHDA.kext from SL/S/L/E for the file that you put it in the post with this instructions:

4- put back the sleepenabler.kext (do I need to use terminal or something????

5 - Reboot n finish.

I understand there`s no change in the 10.6.6 update, so that´s all

Please correct me if I´m wrong.

Thank you very much! ;)

Hi relenti

If you learn to understand what's going on with your system then you don't have to be scared about updates, just cautious. And why don't you try using your system without disabling NullCPUPowerManagement.kext? then you won't have to use SleepEnabler.kext. As long as you're using a DSDT with a patched HPET then you can do this. I talked about this as far back as using 10.5.8.

Part 4 PDF no-longer includes using them as the standard installation and there have been many discussions in this topic about what you need to do. I soon won't answer questions like this as it's an old way of working and way behind the current methods with these very compatible motherboards.

So for the last time talking about updating with using SleepEnabler.kext, here goes.

1 - Remove SleepEnabler from your /Extra/Extensions folder then reboot your system.

2 - Update your backup OSX installation to 10.6.6 to test before applying to your main system.

3 - Update your /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext with the patched one.

4 - Delete your /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*

5 - Reboot to check everything is working

6 - Add back to /Extra/Extensions a version of SleeEnbaler.kext for 10.6.6

Nice one D-an-W :)

I've answered your PM with regards to the FakeSMC plugins.

Hi relenti

If you learn to understand what's going on with your system then you don't have to be scared about updates, just cautious. And why don't you try using your system without disabling NullCPUPowerManagement.kext? then you won't have to use SleepEnabler.kext. As long as you're using a DSDT with a patched HPET then you can do this. I talked about this as far back as using 10.5.8.

Part 4 PDF no-longer includes using them as the standard installation and there have been many discussions in this topic about what you need to do. I soon won't answer questions like this as it's an old way of working and way behind the current methods with these very compatible motherboards.

So for the last time talking about updating with using SleepEnabler.kext, here goes.

1 - Remove SleepEnabler from your /Extra/Extensions folder then reboot your system.

2 - Update your backup OSX installation to 10.6.6 to test before applying to your main system.

3 - Update your /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext with the patched one.

5 - Reboot to check everything is working

6 - Add back to /Extra/Extensions a version of SleeEnbaler.kext for 10.6.6

Hi blackosx! and thank you again

OK, about to try to understand the procedures, well you are wright but, when I get them something else change and I need to use the mac everyday and with out it I´m toast!

well thank you again for the instructions.!

I didn´t do it but audio is working with the instructions in point 3. Should I do it?

About the sleepenabler.kext I didn´t use it in the begining, but it doesn´t work, so I need to use it. But if you say that it´ll work with out it, ok I´ll remove it and try again. I use your instruction for the instalation of the OS and I brought the MOBO because you was using it, so thanks.

What should I do to remove the sleep enabler and the other things? I think I use because I´m using 2 monitors, but I´m not sure ... was about a year ago..

Thank you very much!

:P

I need to use the mac everyday and with out it I´m toast!

well thank you again for the instructions.!

In that case make sure you apply the update to a secondary OS X installation first, then if it goes wrong you haven't lost your important main system. Have you also got yourself a bootable Chameleon USB flash drive or BootCD that you have tested works? That way, if your Cham partition becomes damaged /messed up, you can always boot in to your system and fix it.

I didn´t do it but audio is working with the instructions in point 3. Should I do it?

If you have replaced the AppleHDA.kext and now your audio is working then that's good enough.

About the sleepenabler.kext I didn´t use it in the begining, but it doesn´t work, so I need to use it.

I don't understand what you mean.

But if you say that it´ll work with out it, ok I´ll remove it and try again. I use your instruction for the instalation of the OS and I brought the MOBO because you was using it, so thanks.

Your system will boot fine without SleepEnabler.

It will also work fine without disabling AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement as long as you use a DSDT with a patch HPET device. If you are using the EP45-DS3L then the DSDT in the support files here has that fix applied so you will be okay.

Please create a signature so myself and others know what hardware you're running and it will be easier for us to help you.

What should I do to remove the sleep enabler and the other things? I think I use because I´m using 2 monitors, but I´m not sure ... was about a year ago..

You remove sleepenabler by moving the file out of /Extra/Extensions. Drag it out and store it where ever you want, or delete it if you don't need it again. Same applies to any other file you don't want. The Chameleon bootloader will only attempt to load kexts from /Extra/Extenisons, so if they aren't in there then they won't be seen.

SleepEnabler has nothing to do with you using 2 monitors.

• 2 weeks later...

I used this guide with great success to move over from an EFI-X based machine. Thank you so much.

I have followed with great detail all of the instructions about how to get sound to work, and it still doesn't even show up in system profiler. This wouldn't be a huge issue, but my USB powered sound card does NOT work anymore. It seems that the USB voltage is low.

any ideas on how to fix these 2 issues?

Hi Actualsizeaudio

As you're using the same mobo as me, then your audio should work just fine as long as you're using the DSDT from the support files and you are using the right patched Apple HDA for the version of 10.6 your running, provided of course you're running 10.6.3 or newer.

I see you're running BIOS F8 compared to me with F11. I'm not sure if that'll make a difference or not, with regard to the DSDT?

As for the USB audio. Check in System Profiler/USB for the current available and the current required for it. See if they tally up.. For example, see the screenshot below where I have highlighted one of my USB flash drives which draws 200 (mA) from the available 500 (mA).

post-331032-1298928793_thumb.png

I've patched my DSDT a bunch of times, and at this point I'm not completely sure it is the same one as yours. so, I tried your DSDT and in fact I had a kernel panic justa after chameleon.

I'm not getting audio in the system preferences, but I am seeing the audio in my system profilier, which seems strange.

As for the USB audio device, the available current listed is 500, and the required current is 480, so it should work. However, the control panel for the device does not see it, and the led on the unit does not light up. It does work when connected to my 10.6.6 powerbook.

I'll install bios F11 and try your DSDT when I get a chance. I'm in the middle of a few jobs right now, so I dare not try it until they get out the door.

Thanks!