[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

The specs of his motherboard are in his sig, EP45-DS3l, so can we not presume the DSDT file that Rovah is using, is the same as we all use?

10.6.0 loads fine and all goes well until the restart and KP.

Does that mean you never reach the desktop after installing OS10.6.0?

Or, you reach the desktop once, and when you restart - the KP mayhem begins?

And your DSDT.ami & boot.plist is in /Extra?

FakeSMC & Disabler is in /Extra/Ext ?

Thanks for the replies guys-I really appreciate it.

In a fit of despair, I've given up on the hope of a Hackintosh and reverted to my Powermac G5 dual for the studio. So damn slow, but 100% functional.

For reference, I never got the desktop after installing 10.6. It would KP every time on the HPET thing.

From past reading, I'd assumed it had something to do with my DSDT.

I had gotten some of the other pre-10.6 systems working like iAtkos etc, but didn't have wireless and my MOTU audio card weren't recognized.

When I first installed 10.5.6 following Lensboards thread, everything worked fine after a bit of kext modding. In a fit of ignorance, I tried to update the OS with software update and frigged it all up. I haven't been able to get back to it since then.

The appeal of a Hackinstosh is huge, but it seems I just can't make it happen. :-)

So, I think my son will get the Hackintosh and use it as a gaming PC. Maybe I'll come back to it someday.

Thanks again for all the suggestions/support over the past year. Great community! :-)

John

Hi Rovah, sorry to hear you've given up, but from reading your previous post:

One weird thing is that after a KP, my BIOS settings will get all frigged up.
It looked like your DSDT wasn't being loaded?

If you do try again then you can type -v Wait=Y in Chameleon's GUI to read the output and see if the DSDT has been detected and loaded - See page 4 of part 5 PDF for more info.

Thanks BlackosX. If I give it another go, I'll check it all out. Clearly it's a bit beyond me at this point. Life's too busy right now to get back to it. I'll pop back around when you least expect it(or want it!). :-)

Cheers! John

The specs of his motherboard are in his sig, EP45-DS3l, so can we not presume the DSDT file that Rovah is using, is the same as we all use?

The day was not included in the signature

and if I did not see...

be more polite mald0n.png

Having held off from posting for too long, I want to say a big thanks to blackosx for this guide and all the hard work you have put in developing your PDF series and Support materials all with such eye for detail and with an extremely professional presentation. They are a pleasure to use.

The comments and discussions on this thread have helped so much and been very informative. It guided me through all the setting up and tweaking of my OSX86 machine that now runs so beautifully. Please forgive my ebullience :D

The final icing on the cake was the recent Cartri's BIOS flash and the addition of the new FakeSMC+plugins, thanks to the Guys developing these! referenced in your (Part 7 - What's New v1.4.1.pdf) many thanks for that information.

Boot partition contains FYI:

boot (obviously)

Extra =

com.apple.Boot.plist (attached)

SMBIOS.plist (attached)

Extra/Extensions =

JMicronATA.kext (attached) for LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S.

Original install from OSX Retail disk was from an external USB DVD (now sadly dead ;) )

OrangeIconFix.kext (attached)

& Themes folder

:wub:

The day was not included in the signature

and if I did not see...

be more polite mald0n.png

Absolutely no impoliteness was intended and afaics no reason to infer such a meaning.

What is a "day"?

The final icing on the cake was the recent Cartri's BIOS flash and the addition of the new FakeSMC+plugins, thanks to the Guys developing these! referenced in your (Part 7 - What's New v1.4.1.pdf) many thanks for that information.

Boot partition contains FYI:

boot (obviously)

Extra =

com.apple.Boot.plist (attached)

SMBIOS.plist (attached)

Extra/Extensions =

JMicronATA.kext (attached) for LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S.

Original install from OSX Retail disk was from an external USB DVD (now sadly dead :unsure: )

OrangeIconFix.kext (attached)

& Themes folder

:wub:

Sounds like you did very well.

Is your FakeSMC in /Extra?

ATM, I don't see any obvious advantage to flash the motherboard with Cartri's Bios Flash. Except for one issue in regards to using DVI - HDMI. What happens when you connect a dvi/hdmi adapter and plug in the hdmi cable to the adapter? Does the screen freeze?

Is your FakeSMC in /Extra?

ATM, I don't see any obvious advantage to flash the motherboard with Cartri's Bios Flash. Except for one issue in regards to using DVI - HDMI. What happens when you connect a dvi/hdmi adapter and plug in the hdmi cable to the adapter? Does the screen freeze?

/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

(includes)

FakeSMCIntelMonitor.kext

FakeSMCIntelThermal.kext

FakeSMCnVclockPort.kext

FakeSMCSuperIO.kext

I don't own a TV so cannot comment on HDMI, my monitors are VGA.

Flashing with Cartri's BIOS fixed a wake from sleep issue so I'm happy for that anyway.

Regards :rolleyes:

How can I help me with your work done to install SL on my EP45-DS4?

@MILAN0 - You should find lots of information for your board here:

http://tinyurl.com/36bkcqb

Having held off from posting for too long, I want to say a big thanks to blackosx for this guide and all the hard work you have put in developing your PDF series and Support materials all with such eye for detail and with an extremely professional presentation. They are a pleasure to use.

The comments and discussions on this thread have helped so much and been very informative. It guided me through all the setting up and tweaking of my OSX86 machine that now runs so beautifully. Please forgive my ebullience :D

Hi silverfir

Well done with your installation, thanks for your kind words and for reporting back your success. I fully understand your ebullience. :o

You might be interested in this new topic by mozodojo where he has managed to re-work the FakeSMC.kext and plugin's to load from /Extra/Extensions allowing us to leave the /S/L/E untouched again (apart from those of us, me included, using the ALC888 onboard audio). I have it installed and can say everything is working well except for an issue with the GPU FAN sensor but as it's still in development I won't add it to the guide/support files just yet.

Hi blackosx

Thanks for the heads up on mozodojo's FakeSMC thread. Have removed FakeSMC+plugins from S/L/E and put contents of

HWSensors_latest/Release 10.6/ into my Boot E/E minus Winbond [W836x.kext].

Using iStat Pro widget & atMonitor atMonitor

I too have lost GPU Temp and Fan output.

Hard Drives - CPU - Northbridge - temperatures are showing and 3 x Fans speeds showing up.

atMonitor is showing % GPU throughput but no temp. Noticed as screen saver fired up and atMonitor was still showing.

So pretty good, will see how things sit for a while.

So I only have [AppleHDA.kext] & [JMicronATA.kext] added to S/L/E not including S/L/E additions from APP installations.

Cheers! :D

Edit: Above files used were mozodojo's (HWSensors_latest/Release 10.6 modified date 16-Oct-2010)

Get ready to do it all over again.

Yes - it's always exciting when a new release is announced. We'll know more in time....

FaceTime works fine!!!

Hi Z4g0r :(

Thanks for letting us know.. I haven't got round to that yet, but then again I don't have a webcam so not much use to me ;)

hey blackosx its been long... hope you are doing good...

just updated my bios to cartri 0.8 my network is gone on the on board lan. plugged the cable to my pci 8139 and gave me this error

22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	   50 643a6169} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  6dc 3b0057f9} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  6dc 3b0057f9} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  12c 652e6964} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - error detected
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  12c 652e6964} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  15c 6e657265} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - error detected
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  15c 6e647265} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  150 d0455040} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - error detected
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  150 d0445040} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:33 PM	kernel	{	  6dc 3b0057f9} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:33 PM	kernel	{	  6dc 3b0057f9} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:33 PM	kernel	{	   50 312e3220} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - error detected
22/10/10 11:26:33 PM	kernel	{	   50 312e3220} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart

tried this

To solve this I've replaced /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext with PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext,

repaired permissions with Kext Utility and after reboot got 100% working card.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=57215

didnt work

will try to update it to 10.6.4

Update 1: okay whatever i do i still get the same errors. and i did update to 10.6.4

Update 2: followed ur guide . awesome fixed the ethernet issue. altho using onboard lan if i plug the cable in to my pci lan card gives me same errors

Update 3: followed ur guide . Sound card not working. dled ur "10.6.4 Amended AppleHDA for ALC888 v2" guess its LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E or AppleHDA.kext /S/L/E can u post urs here

Update 4: Fixed audio 10.6.4 used this for /E/E and this for /S/L/E everything working perfectly. did not try this

Hello guys!

I installed SL on my GA-P35-DS3 following blackosx's guide, and it's been running smoothly for quite a while now (several months). I only have one issue: it doesn't power off (OSX shuts down, I get a black screen but the machine keeps running). I know it's related to the DSDT (sleep and restart work) but I didn't want to mess with mine (without knowing what I was doing) because of such a small detail. I even heard that there's a kext that could fix that, but I haven't found it yet (any tips?)

Anyway, I was catching up on this topic and read about Chameleon RC5 and its ability to automatically set P/C states for speedstep. I tried to manually set these in the DSDT a while later with no luck, so after some tries I gave up. Question is: what are the benefits of doing that? Should I risk my stable system because of this, or is it only some kind of cosmetic feature? Will my computer consume less power, maybe?

Oh, and where can I find the binaries for the latest Chameleon? I found the source and a packaged installer, but not the binaries in case I want to install it manually (like the guide).

Thanks!

Hi again!

Thanks to MaLd0n, I'm now running Chameleon RC5 r619 with SpeedStep enabled. I temporarily installed VoodooMonitor.kext and ran VoodooMonitor, it detected 3 P-States and was switching between them. So I guess now SpeedStep is working correctly here!

Hi again!

Thanks to MaLd0n, I'm now running Chameleon RC5 r619 with SpeedStep enabled. I temporarily installed VoodooMonitor.kext and ran VoodooMonitor, it detected 3 P-States and was switching between them. So I guess now SpeedStep is working correctly here!

WoW

Great News

Lpc+Hpet+Chameleon RC5(GeneratePStates/GenerateCStates)

Bingo

Native Power Management

:)

Hi blackosx,

I have been using your method on my EP45DS3L for over a year running vanilla 10.6 perfectly. I used your method of a separate partition for Chameleon and the Extra folder with appropriate kexts etc. I also used efi strings for my XFX 8500GT video card successfully in com.apple.boot.plist in my Extra folder. All was working fine until I accidentally hit my reset button while the system was trying to boot up into 10.6 which caused it to reboot in the middle of loading up the system. I am now unable to completely boot into 10.6 since I get a blue screen loop after the gray screen with the Apple logo. I do get a few seconds of mouse cursor action until it flickers and shows the spinning wheel on the blue screen. This just loops and loops forever. I ran Applejack in single user mode on 10.6 and repaired permissions on both Snow Leo partitions via my backup 10.5 installation but that did not help. I am hoping someone else has done this and found a fix. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Hi Solow

If you've damaged your install and fsck in single user mode can't fix it then you can always boot from the retail DVD and install OSX over your damaged version. This will perform an 'archive install' where it will lay down a fresh system but still retain all your apps, data and files. You will then just need to run all the updates again. I did this not so long ago and it worked just fine.. though I had to re-install the MYSQL package and re-enable PHP for my MAMP server.

blackosx,

Thanks for the advice and your quick reply. That should work of course. I was hoping for an easy fix but this will get the job done.

Happy Halloween!

EDIT:

I just did the archive install and it worked perfectly! All I have to do is update back to 10.6.4 from 10.6.0 and I'll be good to go. Thanks blackosx for your help!