[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Tripple boot question.

I have a dual booting Studio 14z with 10.6.3 and Windows 7. But my partition setup is

1) cham

2) Leopard

3) Windows

4) Backup (intended for backup booting Leopard).

But chameleon only shows hackintosh and windows 7 if I boot from Internal Harddrive. If I boot from my Installer USB drive, I see all partitions on both drives.

IIRC. the latest versions of Chameleon only show bootable drives, not ALL drives connected to the system. You might be running 2 different versions of Chameleon!?!!

I think I found the solution to my Safari 5 crashing, it seems to be the latest version of Flash Player by Adobe. THAT's why Apple chose not in to include the latest version, a software conflict. See this thread for more info.

Hi,

first off - thanks for the superb guide and support :rolleyes:

I updated to 10.6.4 yesterday an seemed to have screwed up a little.

I did not reboot between removing SleepEnabler.kext and performing the update.

Now my system is coming down with a kernel panic..

Any suggestions how to fix this without reinstalling?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Hi,

first off - thanks for the superb guide and support :rolleyes:

I updated to 10.6.4 yesterday an seemed to have screwed up a little.

I did not reboot between removing SleepEnabler.kext and performing the update.

Now my system is coming down with a kernel panic..

Any suggestions how to fix this without reinstalling?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

boot with the boot CD and then remove SleepEnable.kext

boot with the boot CD and then remove SleepEnable.kext

Thats what i tried:

I booted the flash drive containing the install DVD and remove the .kext from there.

I still get a kernel panic:

"Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM"

I figure just removing the .kext won't cut it.

It seems more as if, because the .kext was still loaded when i performed the update, things went bad.

Thats what i tried:

I booted the flash drive containing the install DVD and remove the .kext from there.

I still get a kernel panic:

"Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM"

I figure just removing the .kext won't cut it.

It seems more as if, because the .kext was still loaded when i performed the update, things went bad.

:rolleyes: try to repair kext caches with Kext Utility and then restart

:) try to repair kext caches with Kext Utility and then restart

I couldn't manage to boot my system fully, thus was not able to execute KextUtil - thanks for the link though.

I ended up doing a fresh install on a spare drive I had lying around.

So now I got 2 SL installs to temper with - safer ;)

Really weird is that even the fresh install, in which SleepEnabler.kext was not used, shows exactly the same symptoms after updating to 10.6.4 ?!?

I am running on a GA-EP45-UD3LR with the latest BIOS (rev. F11 i think) and a somewhat older Core2Duo.

Anyone hase experience with this setup and an upgrade to 10.6.4?

Is it possible Apple dropped support for my CPU?

Any help and/or advice is dearly appreciated!

Daniel

Really weird is that even the fresh install, in which SleepEnabler.kext was not used, shows exactly the same symptoms after updating to 10.6.4 ?!?

You mentioned SleepEnabler.kext is not installed. Is NullCPUPowerManagement.kext still installed? If so uninstall it and see if that fixes your problem.

You mentioned SleepEnabler.kext is not installed. Is NullCPUPowerManagement.kext still installed? If so uninstall it and see if that fixes your problem.

Used neither - that's what reaaaaaally confuses me.

original.png

This is what my Extensions folder looks like on my 'Cham' partition.

Something seems to be incompatible with my setup and 10.6.4 :)

I can't find ADR 0x00190000 Device (IGBE) doing lspci. What is that for ? And can i safely remove this entry since i don't have it ?

Hi !Xabbu

Device (IGBE) / ADR, 0x00190000) is the Gigabit Ethernet Controller. If your board doesn't have it then you can remove it from the DSDT but are you sure it doesn't have it? lspci for my board shows:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 02)

It works!

Automaticly with soft upd , after the AppleHDA change.

Good news. Well done Z4g0r :D

Used neither - that's what reaaaaaally confuses me.

@dsan

Maybe you could have tried trashing your /System/Library/Caches folder, and running the command posted here?

Did you post earlier that your symptoms is a KP? Can you post a picture of your KP?

I am a noob in this hobby, still reading and learning. I have the EP45-DS3L MB with quad 6600 cpu. Do I have to have SATA dvd rom (only have ide)? when you say retail snow leopard DVD, do you mean upgrade version ($29.00 dvd?). I have an dmg. image named snowleopard_10A432_userdvd, is it the same as retail upgrade SL dvd? or do i need to get it to work properly? Thirdly I do not have access to a mac, how to burn the dmg image to SL dvd ( i am searching now)?

Hi tetris101

The easiest way for you to follow this thread is to get a SATA DVD drive and the Apple upgrade Snow Leopard DVD. But having said that, if you want to persist with the items you have right now then I am sure you can get a full install up and running, but you will have to do some reading across the InsanelyMac forum to find all the answers you are looking for.

Hi !Xabbu

Device (IGBE) / ADR, 0x00190000) is the Gigabit Ethernet Controller. If your board doesn't have it then you can remove it from the DSDT but are you sure it doesn't have it? lspci for my board shows:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 02)

Looks i'm still messing up binaries, hex, dez and so on... :unsure:

A hell lot of things to learn about DSDT tweaking itself and how it interacts with hardware & the OS. Interested and willing to learn.

I have that Controller too, except for a slightly different location

04:00.0 blah blah blah....

My n00b guess is i can't erase IGBE without loosing ethernet although i implemented a string for it

on com.apple.boot.plist to fix en0="builtin" ?!!

I'll try it anyway....

thank you

<< snap

@dsan

Maybe you could have tried trashing your /System/Library/Caches folder, and running the command posted here?

Did you post earlier that your symptoms is a KP? Can you post a picture of your KP?

>> snap

I'll give it a try - still got that messed install on my older drive.

Heres a shot from the KP I get - hope its readable:

440x440.jpg

Thanks for the help :)

Daniel

440x440.jpg

Daniel

hmmm, nasty screen :) i've seen it on my old PC last year :(, was caused by a bad memory module on my mobo.

your /Extra seems OK.

i'll suggest you to list here your exact hardware (mobo, CPU, video) and mobo BIOS version. maybe we could find a solution :)

it's not a bad idea to tell us how many HDDs are holding the Snow, i mean do you have more than one HDD with Snow and Chameleon installed?

it's a good idea also to leave only one HDD (with the freshest install), switch off the others (if any) and try booting

from this one.

very often the problem is obvious but we have to see it via eliminating unrelated and unneeded elements in the system.

also if you have 2 HDDs with two Snows on them and 2 Chameleons installed who knows that you're booting from the right one HDD.

Daniel, those are just quick suggestions in order to help each other. :P

EDIT: aaa, i see you got EP45-UD3LR with BIOS F11 - rock solid mobo! don't think it's your CPU cause if was it you wont be able to use 10.6.3 as you said earlier.

i see that somehow the system is loading the SleepEnabler (there's a line in the KP's screenshot reading sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler) --> it seems Chameleon doesn't boot the proper HDD! So now i'll suggest you to switch off one of the HDDs and try booting from the other, if it's not successful switch back on the first HDD, switch off the second one and repeat the exercise, it should boot properly without KP.

440x440.jpg

Daniel

Quite clearly you still have uncompatible Sleepenabler.kext somewhere:

post-375259-1277143576_thumb.jpg

Quite clearly you still have uncompatible Sleepenabler.kext somewhere:

post-375259-1277143576_thumb.jpg

Somewhere marks the spot..

Now I reformatted the cham partition, reinstalled cham, cleaned out the System/Library/Caches Folder, ran the command blackosx recommended earlier and for good measure let KextUtil do a 'full service'.

I am currently updating the spare SL to 10.6.4 and see what happens - I am not willing to give up :)

For completeness my setup:

MoBo: GA-EP45-UD3LR rev. 1.0 with F11 BIOS

CPU: Core2 6320 @ 1,86GHz (I need something newer here... :()

Video: Gigabyte GTX260 OC

1x WD Raptor which holds 1 Cham, 2 SL and one *nix partition

2x 500GB Samsungs which hold home directories and other data

I dont think I'm booting of the wrong HDD - theres only one cham installation.

I'll be back after the update is done

Cheers,

Daniel

Finally - after thoroughly cleaning the cham and SL partitions I got a running 10.6.4!

Sadly I couldn't figure out where exactly that SleepEnabler.kext was hiding.. I would like to kick its behind :(

Thank you for bearing with me and hinting me around!

Love this board :)

Cheers,

Daniel

Thanx blackosx for the response. Which dvd SATA burner you recommend that is compatible with AHCI? can I burn the SL_userdvd.dmg image (i changed it to iso formate) under windows environment or needed max osx system? still reading.

Tetris

Thanx blackosx for the response. Which dvd SATA burner you recommend that is compatible with AHCI? can I burn the SL_userdvd.dmg image (i changed it to iso formate) under windows environment or needed max osx system? still reading.

Tetris

I use an LG (see sig ) without any problems.

I only have OSX, but i think there's no difference in burning process, AFAIK Nero is best to use under any Windows OS.

Anyone please correct me if i'm wrong

Finally - after thoroughly cleaning the cham and SL partitions I got a running 10.6.4!

Sadly I couldn't figure out where exactly that SleepEnabler.kext was hiding.. I would like to kick its behind :)

Well done for persevering with it and sorting your problem ;)

Thanx blackosx for the response. Which dvd SATA burner you recommend that is compatible with AHCI?

I have a SATA PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D and it's been great for me.

Can I burn the SL_userdvd.dmg image (i changed it to iso formate) under windows environment or needed max osx system? still reading.

I am sure you can somehow, but as I said before you are going to have to carry on reading elsewhere to find the answers. This guide is written with the idea of installing with the help of an existing OS X installation, or using a retail DVD.

Thanks for putting this guide together blackosx! Worked great (mostly) on my rig (ep45-ds3l, 2.4GHz Q6600, 8Gb Corsair 800MHz, Zotac 1Gb 9500GT with DVI,HDMI,VGA (<--this wasn't so easy to get working).

Thanks for putting this guide together blackosx! Worked great (mostly) on my rig (ep45-ds3l, 2.4GHz Q6600, 8Gb Corsair 800MHz, Zotac 1Gb 9500GT with DVI,HDMI,VGA (<--this wasn't so easy to get working).

Hi JBDM

Thanks for reporting back. Can you post more about your issues with the 9500GT and what version of 10.6 you have upgraded to? I ask as I have read a somewhere of issues with certain Nvidia cards after 10.6.3 when connecting with DVI2HDMI dongles.. and maybe this info could be useful for others.

Hi JBDM

Thanks for reporting back. Can you post more about your issues with the 9500GT and what version of 10.6 you have upgraded to? I ask as I have read a somewhere of issues with certain Nvidia cards after 10.6.3 when connecting with DVI2HDMI dongles.. and maybe this info could be useful for others.

I started with a fresh install of 10.6.3 (32-bit kernel) off the retail DVD, then immediately updated to 10.6.4 before starting your guide. If I hooked directly to the DVI port, the screen would go black during the boot process. If I hooked directly to the HDMI port (using a 6ft HDMI-to-DVI cable), everything worked fine. Also, if I hooked a monitor up to the HDMI port and waited until the system booted up successfully, I could then plug my other monitor into the DVI port and it would work (but the monitor on the HDMI port would go dark). That at least told me the driver was correct, but that the NVCAP probably wasn't. After unsuccessfully trying several NVCAPs off the web, I eventually installed Windows XP and the Zotac drivers, used GPU-Z to extract the ROM, NVCAP Maker to extract the NVCAP, and Asere's bootloader and the NVCAP_0640 property in my com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra. Now I can plug my 30 inch Cinema display into the DVI and it no longer goes black during the boot process. Here's the NVCAP in case anyone else has the same card (Zotac GeForce 9500 GT 1Gb DVI/HDMI/VGA (ordered from the motherboard up):

<key>NVCAP_0640</key>
<string>0400000000000100060000000000000700000000</string>

...If I hooked directly to the HDMI port (using a 6ft HDMI-to-DVI cable), everything worked fine. Also, if I hooked a monitor up to the HDMI port....

Thanks for the detailed info JBDM! Quick question... In 25 words or less...What are the pros and cons of a HDMI port?

Thanks for the detailed info JBDM! Quick question... In 25 words or less...What are the pros and cons of a HDMI port?

Hey Johnny V, I have no idea, actually. I think on the card I have it's equivalent to an SVGA (TV out) port and can't be used simultaneously with the DVI (at least in OSX), and that's a big con for me. Not sure it can support resolutions higher than 1920x1080, which is another con since my monitor's native resolution is 2560x1600.