NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6 w/ an i7 860 and 8Gb of DDR3 (1600MHz). I'm able to install iATKOS, but stability isn't the key word here. My other hardware is:

• BFG 280 GTX
  • Apple wired keyboard - USB (older clear-case version)
  • Apple wired mouse - USB
  • Apple 20" display
  • LG DVD/BD-ROM

I have AHCI as the disk type, S.M.A.R.T. enabled, and a single disk in SATA 0 of the Intel connectors.

Here's what I had to do to get it to run. This is from memory, but I've done it a bunch of times, so I think I have it all down.

• Get iATKOS v7. Power up your system and put this into the DVD.
  • At the boot screen, hit <F12> to choose the DVD to boot from
  • Hit <F8> when the boot loader prompt appears. Type in "busratio=20 -v" (without the quotes)
  • When the welcome screen finally pops up a couple of minutes later, enter Disk Utility
  • Format and name a partition for installation (I used GUID), selecting the Mac Journaled file system (not case sensitive)
  • Exit Disk Utility upon completion
  • Select the disk and hit "Customize"
  • Choose the following:

• iATKOS v7

• Chameleon V2

• /Extra

• DSDT

• DSMOS

• 9.7.0 Kernel voodoo

• APIC driver

• Disabler

• OHR

• Remove TyMCE

• AHCI

• Intel SATA/IDE

• JMicron SATA/IDE

• Post Install Actions

• Install (and wait 15 minutes)

That's it. After it completes the install and restarts, you should now be able to log in and fill out the initial information Darwin requires.

If you add the Realtek R1000 driver, you'll also get networking. The above configuration reflects my last stable install attempt. The one tonight will use the Realtek R1000. I've just spent the last day trying to get the 280 to install correctly (see below).

It recognizes all 4 CPUs and the correct amount of memory. Memory type and speed are wrong, so I'm going to try editing the plist and add the appropriate flags. I'll also add "busratio=20" to the kernel flags so that I don't have to type it in all of the time.

I found that attempting to add support for the 280 or sound would cause major problems. I don't know if sleep works. I have seen issues where a reboot after an install gone bad would result in USB device probing errors. To fix those, I had to pull power from *everything*, wait 5 seconds, plug everything back in, and start over. Also, if I have a bad install, the next attempt will take longer since it wants to try to repair the hard drive first (I guess it's doing a fsck).

Hopefully this can seed the next step -- a stable Snow Leopard install. I've been unable to get past a quick white screen flash when it starts to boot Darwin before it reboots. Sometimes I loose my CMOS settings, sometimes it just hangs. In any event, I gave up on Snow Leopard thinking that I might have to take 2 steps to get there (clean -> Leopard -> Snow Leopard) instead of trying to install it onto a clean system in 1 step.

Good luck!

I did a reinstall this morning without the 275GTX driver, and it seems to work. I basically got the same thing as him. The one I just installed today has the Realtek driver installed, and it seemed to work fine. Also, with Snow Leopard, I planned on doing the same thing, installing 10.5.7, then installing SL ontop of it.

There is definitely alot of work to be done here.

Also, while I was installing, the Firewire contantly threw me errors with "Firewire GUID 00000000000000000000 is invalid", so I had to turn it off in bios.

I did a reinstall this morning without the 275GTX driver, and it seems to work. I basically got the same thing as him. The one I just installed today has the Realtek driver installed, and it seemed to work fine. Also, with Snow Leopard, I planned on doing the same thing, installing 10.5.7, then installing SL ontop of it.

There is definitely alot of work to be done here.

Also, while I was installing, the Firewire contantly threw me errors with "Firewire GUID 00000000000000000000 is invalid", so I had to turn it off in bios.

What did u use to install? iATKOS V7?

I have just build my system, Intel i5 and a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4, have been trying with Chameleon(with SL on it to) on a usb stick but the comp is restarting after Chameleon is done and I choose a drive to start from.

What did u use to install? iATKOS V7?

I have just build my system, Intel i5 and a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4, have been trying with Chameleon(with SL on it to) on a usb stick but the comp is restarting after Chameleon is done and I choose a drive to start from.

I first tried to install from a USB stick, too, and had the very same experience. I tried 5 different guides, all to no avail. I even got my camera out to take pictures (9 pictures per second) to capture the screen before it rebooted. Basically, as soon as it finished loading a few things and issued "Starting Darwin..." (or something like that), the screen flashed white and it rebooted.

At first I thought it was my DSDT file. I had loaded Linux onto this computer to get my own DSDT file and used that on the USB stick. After getting the DSDT files, I wiped the disk and tried to install SL on it. Nothing seemed to work. That's why I'm back to iATKOS v7.

I'm hoping that a DSDT file generated for a working Leopard, PLUS using a different guide to install Snow Leopard to a different partition while in Leopard, will be different. We'll see.

Ultimately I have an older Mac Pro that has a virgin Snow Leopard 10.6.1 install on it, ready to go. If I can figure out what I need to put on it after all is said and done (kext, Chameleon, etc), I'll use that installation and modify as appropriate.

Hello all you iPioneers.

Though it is common to meet difficulties on the bleeding edge, i am also anxious to put together a P55/i7 860 based system.

Unfortunately its looking more and more like a Vanilla setup (with vanilla kernel) will not be possible for the time being.

It seems like all i7/i5 setups are using a Voodoo kernel. This is a bit surprising since the current Mac Pros are basically using the same chips in Xeon variation, so I would expect the vanilla kernel to handle i7 properly. None-the-less it thus far has not, and its looking like we will need to wait until apple starts putting i7 and i5 chips into real macs. This seems inevitable but Apple can be slow to update their iMacs and laptops which will probably use the i7 based varients. Its even conceivable that they wont start using i7 parts until the next 32nm revision is out, and that current i7 parts will be forever vanilla incompatible.

Furthermore, the Voodoo kernel will probably take quite a while to port to the 10.0 architecture as is needed for Snow Leopard. Until then i7 owners may be stuck on 10.5

I hope there is some brilliant solution that resolves these issues sooner rather than later, but i am now taking a deep breath and expecting a rather long road to i7 hacint0sh paradise.

g\

Hello all you iPioneers.

Though it is common to meet difficulties on the bleeding edge, i am also anxious to put together a P55/i7 860 based system.

Unfortunately its looking more and more like a Vanilla setup (with vanilla kernel) will not be possible for the time being.

It seems like all i7/i5 setups are using a Voodoo kernel. This is a bit surprising since the current Mac Pros are basically using the same chips in Xeon variation, so I would expect the vanilla kernel to handle i7 properly. None-the-less it thus far has not, and its looking like we will need to wait until apple starts putting i7 and i5 chips into real macs. This seems inevitable but Apple can be slow to update their iMacs and laptops which will probably use the i7 based varients. Its even conceivable that they wont start using i7 parts until the next 32nm revision is out, and that current i7 parts will be forever vanilla incompatible.

Furthermore, the Voodoo kernel will probably take quite a while to port to the 10.0 architecture as is needed for Snow Leopard. Until then i7 owners may be stuck on 10.5

I hope there is some brilliant solution that resolves these issues sooner rather than later, but i am now taking a deep breath and expecting a rather long road to i7 hacint0sh paradise.

g\

This is rather bad news indeed.

I won't be buying my P55 motherboard and i7-860 CPU before Snow Leopard is working with Vanilla kernel.

I hope some of the clever people here at insanelymac will find a solution!

Until then, I will put my purchase on hold :(

Good luck to everyone, I'm glad you have 10.5 working at least :)

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6 w/ an i7 860 and 8Gb of DDR3 (1600MHz). I'm able to install iATKOS, but stability isn't the key word here. My other hardware is:

• BFG 280 GTX
  • Apple 20" display
  • LG DVD/BD-ROM

I have AHCI as the disk type, S.M.A.R.T. enabled, and a single disk in SATA 0 of the Intel connectors.

Here's what I had to do to get it to run. This is from memory, but I've done it a bunch of times, so I think I have it all down.

• Hit <F8> when the boot loader prompt appears. Type in "busratio=20 -v" (without the quotes)
  • When the welcome screen finally pops up a couple of minutes later, enter Disk Utility
  • Format and name a partition for installation (I used GUID), selecting the Mac Journaled file system (not case sensitive)
  • Choose the following:

• iATKOS v7

• Chameleon V2

• /Extra

• DSDT

• DSMOS

• 9.7.0 Kernel voodoo

• APIC driver

• Disabler

• OHR

• Remove TyMCE

• AHCI

• Intel SATA/IDE

• JMicron SATA/IDE

• Post Install Actions

That's it. After it completes the install and restarts, you should now be able to log in and fill out the initial information Darwin requires.

If you add the Realtek R1000 driver, you'll also get networking. The above configuration reflects my last stable install attempt. The one tonight will use the Realtek R1000. I've just spent the last day trying to get the 280 to install correctly (see below).

It recognizes all 4 CPUs and the correct amount of memory. Memory type and speed are wrong, so I'm going to try editing the plist and add the appropriate flags. I'll also add "busratio=20" to the kernel flags so that I don't have to type it in all of the time.

I found that attempting to add support for the 280 or sound would cause major problems. I don't know if sleep works. I have seen issues where a reboot after an install gone bad would result in USB device probing errors. To fix those, I had to pull power from *everything*, wait 5 seconds, plug everything back in, and start over. Also, if I have a bad install, the next attempt will take longer since it wants to try to repair the hard drive first (I guess it's doing a fsck).

Hopefully this can seed the next step -- a stable Snow Leopard install. I've been unable to get past a quick white screen flash when it starts to boot Darwin before it reboots. Sometimes I loose my CMOS settings, sometimes it just hangs. In any event, I gave up on Snow Leopard thinking that I might have to take 2 steps to get there (clean -> Leopard -> Snow Leopard) instead of trying to install it onto a clean system in 1 step.

Good luck!

GREAT!!!!! Thank you!!!!

P.S. I don't worry about the Vanilla Kernel. I heard that Apple will release a New MacPro and iMac using this Lynnfield Core i7/i5 CPU soon. (even they probably will use Xeon CPU for MacPro, this new Xeon CPU is a re-branded Lynnfield Core i7 CPU. Intel announced to release the New Xeon CPU that is based on Lynnfield a couple of days ago.)

Hello all you iPioneers.

g\

Are you talking about i7 LGA1156? digital_dreamer have a threat to install a "full vanilla install with a handful of modified kexts that are added to a special folder" http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

Are you talking about i7 LGA1156? digital_dreamer have a threat to install a "full vanilla install with a handful of modified kexts that are added to a special folder" http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

I don't think digital_dreamer's guide is for the new socket 1156 i7's (and P55 chipset).

PS. It's a bit of a risk just hoping that Apple will release iMac's or Mac Pro's with the new Lynnfield CPU's... You never know with Apple :)

• BFG 280 GTX
  • Apple 20" display
  • LG DVD/BD-ROM

• Choose the following:

• iATKOS v7

• Chameleon V2

• /Extra

• DSDT

• DSMOS

• 9.7.0 Kernel voodoo

• APIC driver

• Disabler

• OHR

• Remove TyMCE

• AHCI

• Intel SATA/IDE

• JMicron SATA/IDE

• Post Install Actions

Good luck!

OK. Following Journey63's lead with iATKOS v7.

Hardware:

MB: GA-P55M-UD4

CPU: i7-860

RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333

VIDEO: EVGA GTX 260

I followed Journey63's check list, added the Realtek R1000 and Voodoo HDA sound driver, then restarted. Have to use the busratio=20 switch, but everything seems to work (sound, firewire, LAN, etc) except QE and CI for video.

Next I tried to fix the video. I installed Netkas gtxxx enabler and the recommended patched EVGA driver. No go... I'm stuck at the following...

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

If anyone knows a way around this, let me know.

So close!

OK. Following Journey63's lead with iATKOS v7.

Hardware:

MB: GA-P55M-UD4

CPU: i7-860

RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333

VIDEO: EVGA GTX 260

I followed Journey63's check list, added the Realtek R1000 and Voodoo HDA sound driver, then restarted. Have to use the busratio=20 switch, but everything seems to work (sound, firewire, LAN, etc) except QE and CI for video.

Next I tried to fix the video. I installed Netkas gtxxx enabler and the recommended patched EVGA driver. No go... I'm stuck at the following...

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

If anyone knows a way around this, let me know.

So close!

One thing that I saw last night (in this very forum) is that the people that had a working i5 install in August (from Korea) used the Voodoo 9.8.0 kernel instead of the 9.7.0 in the iATKOS distribution. I'm going to try replacing the 9.7.0 kernel tonight to see if it makes a difference. I've had stability issues, and I've been wondering if this might fix it.

Are you seeing video issues (Safari doesn't scroll properly, for example) when you're using the default VESA implementation for the graphics card?

Also, you might want to scan this forum. I thought I saw a post (possibly the same one that had the i5 guide in it) that talked about this issue. There are also some posts about getting sound to work.

One thing that I saw last night (in this very forum) is that the people that had a working i5 install in August (from Korea) used the Voodoo 9.8.0 kernel instead of the 9.7.0 in the iATKOS distribution. I'm going to try replacing the 9.7.0 kernel tonight to see if it makes a difference. I've had stability issues, and I've been wondering if this might fix it.

Are you seeing video issues (Safari doesn't scroll properly, for example) when you're using the default VESA implementation for the graphics card?

Also, you might want to scan this forum. I thought I saw a post (possibly the same one that had the i5 guide in it) that talked about this issue. There are also some posts about getting sound to work.

Yes, I'm having the same video issues with scrolling of safari and moving panels from one part of the screen to the other.

Sound works fine.

Please keep us posted on your results with the 9.8 kernel. I'll dig through the forums more for my glitch.

Yes, I'm having the same video issues with scrolling of safari and moving panels from one part of the screen to the other.

Sound works fine.

Please keep us posted on your results with the 9.8 kernel. I'll dig through the forums more for my glitch.

See the post by jplee4907 dated 8/15 where he says that you have to use IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext. That might help.

Finally..... !

I successfully installed Leopard on my computer !

This time I tried with iDeneb 1.6 Leopard 10.5.8 Lite version.

I booted with "cpus=1 busratio=20 -v" mode and got to the installation screen.

img0036tk.th.jpg

Then a few minutes after I got the successful installation screen it reboots to the Chameleon 2.0 bootloader and then I tried to boot with "busratio=20", "cpus=1 busratio=20" either in verbose mode also but unfortunately it boots to a kernel panic screen...

I used the Voodoo 9.8.0 kernel.

img0037ah.th.jpg

img0038l.th.jpg

I have to focus on this issue... it seems that the iDeneb got the Kernel Panic fix bug. I keep you posted as usual.

Update :

I have fixed the kernel panic by deleting the file "com.superhai.driver.VoodooPower(1.2.3)" but now when it boot after the loading screen leopard goes into sleep mode.... :thumbsup_anim:

See the post by jplee4907 dated 8/15 where he says that you have to use IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext. That might help.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I tried adding the IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext, but it still died. I reinstalled. Ultimately, I'm finding that the Netkas enabler is what borks it. This last time, I installed per your instructions and only installed the enabler kext. Not sure why it died.

Did you try installing the nvida vga drivers on the iATKOS v7 DVD in any of your attempts?

Also, I'm not using cpus=1. Not sure why I would need it if it boots before the enabler is added.

I've decided to start over using a 920-based system instead of the 860 system I purchased. I installed the 9.8.0 kernel, and the system was more stable than with the 9.7.0 kernel. However, I still had video scrolling problems, and it still locked on me a couple of times. I'm looking for a system to replace an older Mac Pro (2 Xeon dual-core CPUs), and I need something solid. It looks like a lot of people have Snow Leopard running today on 920-based systems, so that's what I'm going to try.

Good luck with the 860!

Firstly, I am pleased to come out of the shadows of this forum and add some info after such a long time. Almost everything I have achieved is thanks to the OSx86 community. Hopefully I can contribute something new. So, building on others successes....

I have finally managed to boot 10.5.6, voodoo 9.8, busratio=21 -x -v, using boot 132 bootload from P45-UD3P(my other rig) on a P55 UD4P, i7 860. Basically all other settings I tried with the voodoo kernel resulted in a panic that seemed to relate to something called "com.superhai.driver.voodoopower....."

I think booting with -x (safe mode) disallows it from loading. I have no idea where that file lives. If anyone knows I am willing to have a go at removing it.

I turned almost everything off in BIOS as a start. I will post my BIOS settings once I have figured out which ones actually need to be off. I disabled basically every advanced CPU feature including 3 out of 4 cores. I will test if cpus=1 is need once I enable the other cores in BIOS again.

Very exciting to know that $2k of computer is not going to be collecting dust! :P

I've decided to start over using a 920-based system instead of the 860 system I purchased. I installed the 9.8.0 kernel, and the system was more stable than with the 9.7.0 kernel. However, I still had video scrolling problems, and it still locked on me a couple of times.

I had the video scrolling issue on my current AMD based Hackintosh as well, but it disappeared as soon the video card was properly recognized.

Has anyone else system lockups on their i5/i7 860 systems? I am also planning to get an i5 system but now I am worried that the system is unstable :P

Just a quick msg ... installed successfully on a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 + i5 750 + 4GB Corsair XMS3.

Installed with iDeneb 1.6 light version.

Setup bios all on AHCI (I had no success with onboard gigabyte IDE so bought a SATA DVD-RW and turned it off)

must boot with busratio=20 or else wont work(add in your boot.plist after install.

All CPU features in BIOS are left untouched except "turbo" -> disabled (didnt even try to turn it on as I want to overclock anyway)

Kernel: WORKS ONLY WITH Qooz 9.8.0 (or smthing) kernel as stated in post above.

Network: select only Realtek R1000 driver works perfect.

Video: I have a 8800GT which is patched 4 apple and works perfect in my mac pro ... but needs nvinject for this otherwise not recognized

BLUETOOTH: dongle working perfectly and apple mighty mouse and keyboard work out of the box

SOUND: problematic!!! cant get it to work analogue ... tried voodoo from the dvd, tried applehda also tried keksts from x58 nope ... needed only digital out ... BUT almost gave up ... and then downloaded voodoo 2.2 pref plane .. installed kext from that package and the pref plane ... after that just for curiosity installed PLEX .... went to settings and selected digital out and FORCE DIGITAL ... and voilaaaaaa! I had sound .. ind DD/DTS passthrough .... have no idea why .. but now it is running 100% WTF? dont understand ... did plex swich something or ? oh well hope someone figures this one out ... still this is no 100% working ... if someone has audio kexts for this mobo or understands what happened with plex please post here ...

all the cores (4) are working and also all the memory ...

Ill test it against my upgraded mac pro 8x2.33Ghz :P and put the results here

Snowkitty wont boot at all :censored2: (was 2 days busy with it)

EDIT: quickly compared my upgraded Mac Pro (2x E5320@2.33 =8 cores 4GB FB_RAM) with this new machine. Results are quite as expected:

-------------------mac pro-----------------------newbie

cpu integer --------7237------------------------- 4596

cpu float ---------14268--------------------------9282

memory perf. -----1939--------------------------3382

memory band. ----1659--------------------------3670

total-----------------8080-----------vs------------5900----

as expected 8cores@2.33GHz are indeed faster than 4cores@2.66GHz even if it's a old architecture i think that i5 needs to be overclocked to maybe 3.3-3.5GHz to have the same cpu performance (and these babies run up to 4-4.2GHz :) ) Macs pathetic FB-ram performance is as expected too ... shame

EDIT2: Sleep doesnt work... will try with BIOS settings ... I'll post here if haz success :)

Shadowfly...did you successfully get OSX retail working on your i5/i7 system? i too am wanting to build this machine as soon as someone can confirm that it's stable. if not, i'll just "play safe" with an EX58 and a 920 i7. :)

I am along way off a "Retail Install"!

I am using voodoo 9.8 kernel as stated above. Since the last post I have managed to boot with Chameleon 1.0.12 and mkext UD3P from UD3P boot132 CD.

I have all CPU features turned on now. I see 8 cores in Activity monitor history window.

Here's a question for you guys with a P45 UD4P or similar, how do you "enable" the second two DIMM slots in bios? It knows there are 4 DIMMs in but it says 2 are not enabled. Strangely under OSX I get 8GB reported but the numbers in Activity monitor don't add up to 8gb. I'll post a few screen shots from the machine. I am on my MBP Penryn atm. I really is handy to have a real mac that just works while doing this hackintosh stuff ;)

I'll repost in a sec from the beast with screen shots.

Here are the screen shots of the RAM displaying 8GB but the numbers in Activity monitor don't add up. However System Profiler shows 4x2GB DIMMS. In BIOS it says there are 2GB sticks in the second two slots however it also says they are not enable and I can't see for the life of my how to enable them. RTFM I hear you yelling.... I did, perhaps I am blind -_-

post-411169-1253235651_thumb.png

post-411169-1253235732_thumb.png

And here is how activity monitor sees the CPU. My question to all you guys with i7s of any kind is, is it usual to only have a single graph of CPU usage representing all the cores in the main activity monitor window as seen here while having 8 in the history window?

post-411169-1253236062_thumb.png

I'll post results of changing voodoo power kext. Currently crashes on boot with -x (safe mode).