If OSX came out legally for the PC, would you buy it?

MAC OSX for PC  

551 members have voted

1. 1. If Apple released OSX for the PC, would you buy it?

• YES!!!!!!
    • No....
    • Probably
    • Probably not...
    • Just Maybe

82 posts in this topic

what, you mean official updates, apple support for hardware compatibility, and the joys of using OSX on my machine legally? YES.

In fact, the only reason I'm using OSX on my x86 box now is because I'm saving for a macbook pro (not quite there yet...)

Honestly, I think OSX for PC would help apple, apple fanboys would still buy macintosh products on design alone, and apple would make sure those ones would work the best, so im just wondering what the harm would be? I know I love the OS but im not crazy about paying 1200 dollars for 600 dollars worth of hardware, just a thought, to all those people who are sick of windows but dont like the issues related to linux, OSX is the perfect compromise, and I only wish apple would capitalize on this potential market of consumers

will it come out? prolly not.

would i buy it? in a heartbeat. think anyone really enjoys fighting with their installations?

would we still have this community? yes. not everything would be supported.

will it come out? prolly not.

would i buy it? in a heartbeat. think anyone really enjoys fighting with their installations?

would we still have this community? yes. not everything would be supported.

I agree, I would buy it- although I have been a long time Windows user- thru all the goodtimes, I have moved on and want what OsX has to offer, and it does look good to me so far.....my next machine will definitely be a Mac.

This community was a big help in getting my Dell Inspiron 2200 working beautifully........would've gone back to Xp...augh.... :D ( don't get me wrong Windows still rocks on games)

oh and by the way, is it just me or does Xanthrax look like he got the Nagafuki surprise !!........lol...sory just had to throw that in, saw that commercial while writing this post.....

Yeah I too would rather have Apple support generic hardware even though that's not what they are really about as a company, I believe Apple doesn't see much of an incentive for supporting generic hardware just yet since for most of their existence they've only supported their own equipment which they would know best. Of course their switch to Intel does change the dynamics a bit I still don't think I would buy Mac hardware just because I don't believe the hardware they put in it justifies the costs when you could likely buy similar stuff for less elsewhere.

Yeah I too would rather have Apple support generic hardware even though that's not what they are really about as a company, I believe Apple doesn't see much of an incentive for supporting generic hardware just yet since for most of their existence they've only supported their own equipment which they would know best. Of course their switch to Intel does change the dynamics a bit I still don't think I would buy Mac hardware just because I don't believe the hardware they put in it justifies the costs when you could likely buy similar stuff for less elsewhere.

Apple Computer aren´t much expensive as a high end pc. If you buy a high end pc from alienware, dell or other high end distributors, you´ll pay 3000 to 5000$. IF you buy a PowerMac (hope they release the new Mac Pro soon) you´ll pay the same price, but you get a cool design, a great cooling solution AND it just works! Thats the spirit of Apple Computers.

They surlely could release a INTEL OS X version for generic pc platform, but then you have the same problems as with windows. You put some hardware together that might do not work together and then it isn´t the PCs fault, it is ever the operating systems fault - most ppl see this in that direction, but this is just wrong.

Apple supports hardware that works perfectly for the os. They easy can support more, but then they have to make more intensive bug fixing - and this does mean the loss of the mac experience.

We should be thankfull to Apple that they do not hunt down the OS X Project, or PearPC and so on. They know, that many ppl will try installing OS X x86 but they know that this isn´t the real Mac spirit.

Back to topic: YES! This OS is worth to buy it, but this will not happen.

I would most definately buy it. The one and only thing that is preventing me from buying a proper Mac is the price. Seriously... They're way too pricey! Yes, it is good quality, but I bet in a couple of months we will be able to get challenging performance from an x86 machine, which costs £500, compared to the Intel PowerMac's (something like £2000?)...

:poster_oops:

It's all price right now for me. I tend to buy everything ebay at the best deal and build a system over time. The Intel based system I am working on right now I've only invested about $200 in and have everything now working great. That's pretty much how all of my computers have been built and the price about that as well.

My B&W was secondhand... 70 bucks.

If Apple would let me buy the parts to a Mac over time... I'd be game for that as well. Otherwise I wait for the current Intel Macs to start hitting Ebay at used prices and work with my PPC and Vanillas until then... hoping to see a generic install from Apple I can buy.

• 2 weeks later...

I would certainly want to try OS X, probably on my older PCs at first to see how it performs. I have a 700Mhz PC (Windows Me) which would crumble under Windows XP. Would it be better under OS X for 86?

But if it based on UNIX, it should be pretty fast right?.

So long as OS X they can support older hardware. I think Linux supports most PC hardware, so it should not be a hard task to have support in OS X also?

The other thing is the price has to be right.

Oh and support for a TWO BUTTON Mouse and the Mouse Wheel is a must!

Can believe Mac users are still on ONE Button!

Probably it might be an optimistic thought

whether it will actully comes out or not

and whether anybody will buy it or not???

MS Windows is available,

but how many actually buy it??

They all originate from one source

And no one would be wishing to close that source in future.

Source --> From where u get patched Mac OS X, Windows XP, and all kind of stuff

This source will be a definite source for that Mac OS X available for PC's :poster_oops:

Apple depends upon revenue from selling computers. If a generic OSX for Intel were sold, they would lose lots of computer sales. They wouldn't be able to tolerate this. That was why they killed the clone business, they did all the R&D and the cloners sold the same motherboards in packages for less.

So, unless Apple intends to close their computer hardware business, you probably won't see OSX for PC's.

When, and I mean WHEN, Apple sells OS X to Dell to ship with their PCs, I'm gonna buy a Dell, take the restoration disk, and load it onto my regular PC. If it can work on a Dell, it can work on a homebrew box.

1. PCI slots need to work.

2. Needs to work on an AMD

3. usb has to work

4. AC97..or just any damn audio card needs to work

right now this osx86 is a toy to me. If these issues could get sorted out...I MAY bay osx...but they prolly wont..

i would buy it in a heartbeat... and another few copies for my friends to show them how much OSX rocks.