If You Were to Buy a iMAC today>would you go PPC or Intel

19 posts in this topic

Check out this link.

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2685

Although he says he would buy a intel mac towards his final comments, I remember reading somewhere someone tested a few older G4s vs newer G5 minis and the older seemed to run faster. Does this mean universal binary will speed up the programs?

On one bench mark on the above link he turned off the dual core and the older G5 iMAC beat the newer iMAC, even with it turned on, the older beat it in some applications.

peace to you while looking for advice.

I would probably go with the Intel Mac's - seeming as that's the newest hardware, so it's gotta be better.

I would like to see the article you say you read about the G4 and (intel) G5 comparisons, if you have link...

:(

IF I were to buy an iMac (I wouldn't) I'd go Intel.

Personally I'll keep waiting for the PowerMac replacements to come. The Dell laptop is doing a fine job as of now for my mobile needs (and will continue to do so even if I can't get 10.5 on it). So iBook/MacBook isn't something I'm looking at... but Intel based PowerMac? mmmmmm

I'd go for an Intel machine probably just because its not as power hungry as a G5. The Core Duo is a laptop processor and consumes much less power and overall is just a more efficient chip. In addition, with an Intel Mac, I could run Windows XP which would offset not being able to run OS 9/8/7 (the classics).

Yes indeed you can use Virtual PC to run Windows app but at the cost of speed (around 20% sacrifice if I'm not mistaken). Plus, I don't need any classic app since I've been a Mac user only since MacOS X so I missed nothing :lol:.

I'll wait for the Intel iBook (MacBook?)

Intel for sure...simply because I can't quite tear myself away from the Windows world. I use Mac alot more now, but Windows is still a necessity for me. At this point, it's alot easier using Photoshop and audio-recording in Windows, than on my Hackintosh. :)

Yes indeed you can use Virtual PC to run Windows app but at the cost of speed (around 20% sacrifice if I'm not mistaken).

No way, it must me much more than that. I have an iBook (1.33 G4) and it definitely doesn't run at 80% speed when compared to a 1.3 GHz native install. I'm thinking 50-60% loss, at the very least.

As for me? I'm definitely going to wait for the MacBook as an upgrade to my iBook. Here's hoping for May!

No way, it must me much more than that. I have an iBook (1.33 G4) and it definitely doesn't run at 80% speed when compared to a 1.3 GHz native install. I'm thinking 50-60% loss, at the very least.

Very true. Even for me on my former iMac G5 it was almost unbearably slow. I would definitely get an Intel.

Well I myself have never used VirtualPC so I cant offer comment on the performance decrease but like most software which either emulates a different architecture and virtualizes another OS, it`s ram intensive. You probably will see a noticable performance decrease if you use an iMac, PB or iBook. Not to mention, getting an Intel Mac would be better from the future proofing standpoint.