AnV XNU Kernel V1.4

Andy Vandijck

AnV Kernel reliable  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Does the kernel work fine for you?

• Yes
    • Reasonable
    • No
  2. 2. Did the installer work fine for you?

• Yes
    • No, fixed it manually
    • No
  3. 3. Which cpu do you use?

• Intel with HPET and SSE3
    • Intel with SSE3
    • Older Intel
    • AMD with SSE3
    • Older AMD

383 posts in this topic

Thanks. I have the .pkg file now. Will try it later.

List of package files:

post-82549-1234960202_thumb.gif

P.S.For repair kexts permisssions and making mkext files - (incl. /Extra folder), you can use

Kext Utility.

I am testing this kernel but my profile changed and now read as "MacBook Pro" I don't have a laptop, it is a desktop, how do I change to says something like "MacPro"? :D

Update: never-mind, I found the way to do it, but I have another question, when I run GeekBench 64bit, it is still saying that my model is a hackintosh, but my profile says MacPro3,1? any ideas?

NOTE: For old HPET driver to work, install also System.kext.

Install modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext Info.plist for AppleIntelClock driver support.

Enjoy... :)

NOTE: For old HPET driver to work, install also System.kext.

Install modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext Info.plist for AppleIntelClock driver support.

Enjoy... :)

HINT: Dl both parts, rename ....zip to .sitx ( remove latest .zip)

Q:

I have an running vanilla system and C2D CPU.

orig. AppleHPET working/loaded.

I am very confused if i really should install all things of your .pkg.

Very risk / deep system changes made.

Its possible to use only the kernel, or can you explaib whats the minimum install

for an good working C2D/vanialla system is ?

I looked in the ACPIPlatform.kext

Your info.plist removes key Load Driver true in ACPI Interupt Link / IOPropertyMatch

Your info.plist adds an key IOName intel-clock in the Platform Expert.

Is it really a must to use your system.kext and other non kernel things of your .pkg ?

Do i need the -oldHPET boot flag if i use orig. AppleHEPT ?

Thanks.

Would be great to make an HOW TO Core CPU / non Core CPU usage for that .pkg.

Maybe there are differences whats needed to be installed and whats boot flag.

i really don't like having a 10.5.6 system working with 10.5.5 kernel/kexts being these files so important to performance

Actually you can use all 10.5.6 kexts with the 10.5.5 kernel, except System.kext and seatbelt.kext — both of which are of no consequence to performance. System.kext sounds like it's a very important kext for the system but it has no code in it, just the symbol names and addresses. Seatbelt.kext is used for security purposes (sandboxing) and is again of no consequence when it comes to performance.

The 9.6 kernel itself, however, may result in better performance.

Actually you can use all 10.5.6 kexts with the 10.5.5 kernel, except System.kext and seatbelt.kext — both of which are of no consequence to performance. System.kext sounds like it's a very important kext for the system but it has no code in it, just the symbol names and addresses. Seatbelt.kext is used for security purposes (sandboxing) and is again of no consequence when it comes to performance.

Hi, nice to have such an expert also here !

Why does this ANV kernel have so much installs beside the kernel ?

Ok, i know non Core Intel CPUs and AMDs need seetbeltkext + system.kext , but why so deep changes in other risk system parts?

(I posted details in my post above).

Again : Any chance to make an minimalistic ANV.pgk for Core Intel cpus /systems running already an working vanilla system ?

Bild_352.jpg

HINT: Dl both parts, rename ....zip to .sitx ( remove latest .zip)

Q:

I have an running vanilla system and C2D CPU.

orig. AppleHPET working/loaded.

I am very confused if i really should install all things of your .pkg.

Very risk / deep system changes made.

Its possible to use only the kernel, or can you explaib whats the minimum install

for an good working C2D/vanialla system is ?

I looked in the ACPIPlatform.kext

Your info.plist removes key Load Driver true in ACPI Interupt Link / IOPropertyMatch

Your info.plist adds an key IOName intel-clock in the Platform Expert.

Is it really a must to use your system.kext and other non kernel things of your .pkg ?

Do i need the -oldHPET boot flag if i use orig. AppleHEPT ?

Thanks.

Would be great to make an HOW TO Core CPU / non Core CPU usage for that .pkg.

Maybe there are differences whats needed to be installed and whats boot flag.

System.kext should be installed along side the kernel at minimum.

The dynamic linker (/usr/lib/dyld) is a much faster one than the original (recommended, Intel).

The Info.plist is handy for enabling the AppleIntelClock RTC driver (optional).

The AppleHPET.kext is needed only if you tend to be one of the unlucky ones with no HPET in the CPU core, which will mean that probeHPET fails (useoldhpet=1 is only needed in case of the need of this...).

Hi, nice to have such an expert also here !

Why does this ANV kernel have so much installs beside the kernel ?

Ok, i know non Core Intel CPUs and AMDs need seetbeltkext + system.kext , but why so deep changes in other risk system parts?

(I posted details in my post above).

Again : Any chance to make an minimalistic ANV.pgk for Core Intel cpus /systems running already an working vanilla system ?

Well, see my earlier post.

NOTE: If you used 10.5.5 kernel before you really need to also install seatbelt.kext (since it will be from 10.5.5).

If you do not whenever you e.g. mount a dmg file you will get a KP.

What's wrong with that mitch? I only told him to rebuild kext cache and use the stock 10.5.6 system kext, can't figure the wrong step.

Thanks in advanced.

The HPET mods require the System.kext to be replaced since it will have extra symbols inside.

If you have an older Intel/AMD cpu you need this for the old AppleHPET driver to work.

Otherwise it's no really big deal...

Thanks AnV !

Great informations !

I would put them shortened as FAQ also in the first posting.

I (DSDL patched GA-EP35-DS3) will use pacifist to install:

- kernel

- system.kext

- dyn linkers

Stay: AppleHPET, and orig. ApplePlatfrom .plist - i have no probs with AppleHPET (DSDL patched GA-EP35-DS3)

and report my results back soon.

For my knowledge HPET has many advantages insted RTC usage - HEPT takes less CPU cycles around and has more precision. I guess if no HPEt is loaded RTC (does same, but old+slower method) is used insted.

To ANV + Voodoo Team (not much urgent ;) )

Do you think it can does some advantage to compile different way (GCC 4.2, different settings like SSE3 + SSE3 sublemental enabled, .... ) ?

How does Voodoo Team compile its kernels ?

Would it be also an difference complie kernel with Intels high optimized compiler (i forgot the name) ?

Andy

Why my computer (see signature) is still showing as a hackintosh in geekbench 64bit test? I installed your kernel and your AppleSMBIOS with the MacPro settings and still does not work. Don't get me wrong, in my profile show as MacPro3,1 but Geekbench does not read the same, please help! :)

post-33744-1235074356_thumb.png

thanks, andy

with your kernel I can enable 64 bit mode with -force64 flag in amd phenom 9500, running chess and gekkbench 64 without problems, and with a better performance in geekbench

works like a charm in amd phenom, nforce4 (with applenforceata.kext modified by jalavoui booting in few seconds) with all of this work, getting closer "amd mac" friendly

thanks a lot

perisman

Back !

1. wakeup didnt work anymore - goes sleeping=OK, but wakeing up (press keyboard) does restart, not wakeup with vanilla install.

( i have OpenHaltRestart.kext installed)

All other works. ;)

C2D, GA-EP35

EDIT: I use PC-EFI V9 , with vanilla it sleeps+wake up, no special boot flags set (i now V9 has an -nowake faeture )

I have S3 Mode (suspend to RAM).

Can it be that your enhanced new kernel has some advanced sleep (deep) features (looks for an sleepimage file for wake up) , i must configure (to an not deep sleep, supend to RAM, insted suspend to disk)

Thanks AnV !!!

10.5.6 9g66 retail dvd , clean install so no kext mess, munky Efi partition method with just decrypt / ich plist / legacyhdaenabler and dsdt.aml with video/lan/audio/pci cards fix.

both 1.2 & 1.3 are working good here..... no problems of any kind and 1.3 give a +5/10% in all benchmark i tried ( Geekbench32/64, PI, Ogl benchmarks)

no mouse lag of any sorts and damn good 2 ms latency on my m-audio with logic 8.

Great work Anv !

peace

DS

PS : are "Febo" still there in Nl ? my gf loved to eat theyr foods.... every time we came over A'dam she used to stop @ every damn one ........ LOL

How can I see if HPET is already working?

Simple, install XCode

go to /Developer/Application/Utilities

open IORegisitryExplorer.app

search for HPET.

Should contain an entry underneat named AppleHPET.

Then you'll know...

Actually you can use all 10.5.6 kexts with the 10.5.5 kernel, except System.kext and seatbelt.kext � both of which are of no consequence to performance. System.kext sounds like it's a very important kext for the system but it has no code in it, just the symbol names and addresses. Seatbelt.kext is used for security purposes (sandboxing) and is again of no consequence when it comes to performance.

Thanks for you words, mate.. always learning! I was more about kernel/system.kext... it's evident that seatbelt.kext has nothing to do with performance. System.kext i did though it was more important :D never did took a good look inside all those kexts in plugins folder.

Only trying to learn with these tests.. in fact i'm more interested in the sources than in the kernel it self (so to speak), as the performance improvements are so small to me. Everyone should take a ride at Voodoobuild, so they can REALLY appreciate the work you guys have done.. that is great work!!



Hey Andy.. about Voodoobuild..

Voodoo Build 0.3.1 (10/10/2008) by Dense <slipstreamosx@gmail.com>

Project development site: http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

Kernel sources: xnu-1228.9.59

[1] Processing boostrap_cmds (bootstrap_cmds-60.1)

Extracting (bootstrap_cmds-60.1.tar.gz)...

Patching (bootstrap_cmds-60.1-AnV.diff)...

Building...

Makefile:11: //Developer/Makefiles/CoreOS/ReleaseControl/BSDCommon.make: No such file or directory

make: *** No rule to make target `//Developer/Makefiles/CoreOS/ReleaseControl/BSDCommon.make'. Stop.

ERROR

.. checked ReleaseControl folder, i have BSD.make and Common.make but no BSDCommon.make??

Anyway, thanks for this.. it's the missing bit :D



Version 1.3 working fine. I used the installer this time.. it's safe, as it fixes permissions so, if you use it be ready to wait. Still no performance improvement in XBench.

I guess i'll never be able to get Geekbench to see my machine as a Mac, because "Pentium D" was never on a Mac. Though i find it odd a AMD Athlon being recognized as a MacPro with only the macmodel flag?!? :D

Thanks for you words, mate.. always learning! I was more about kernel/system.kext... it's evident that seatbelt.kext has nothing to do with performance. System.kext i did though it was more important :P never did took a good look inside all those kexts in plugins folder.

Only trying to learn with these tests.. in fact i'm more interested in the sources than in the kernel it self (so to speak), as the performance improvements are so small to me. Everyone should take a ride at Voodoobuild, so they can REALLY appreciate the work you guys have done.. that is great work!!



Hey Andy.. about Voodoobuild..

.. checked ReleaseControl folder, i have BSD.make and Common.make but no BSDCommon.make??

Anyway, thanks for this.. it's the missing bit :P



Version 1.3 working fine. I used the installer this time.. it's safe, as it fixes permissions so, if you use it be ready to wait. Still no performance improvement in XBench.

I guess i'll never be able to get Geekbench to see my machine as a Mac, because "Pentium D" was never on a Mac. Though i find it odd a AMD Athlon being recognized as a MacPro with only the macmodel flag?!? :D

Install my Mac Pro SMBIOS.

under /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Set under boot arguments:

macmodel=MacPro2,1

That should do the trick... (Working on a friends AMD so...).