AnV XNU Kernel V1.4

Andy Vandijck

AnV Kernel reliable  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Does the kernel work fine for you?

• Yes
    • Reasonable
    • No
  2. 2. Did the installer work fine for you?

• Yes
    • No, fixed it manually
    • No
  3. 3. Which cpu do you use?

• Intel with HPET and SSE3
    • Intel with SSE3
    • Older Intel
    • AMD with SSE3
    • Older AMD

383 posts in this topic

Holy {censored}, it works... Thanks a lot cVaD :)

Or use macmodel=MacPro2,1

Works even for AMD (Tried on my friends PC with an AMD Athlon64 first gen)...

Install my Mac Pro SMBIOS.

under /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Set under boot arguments:

macmodel=MacPro2,1

That should do the trick... (Working on a friends AMD so...).

I already tested your SMBIOS kext but only used MacPro3,1 and didn't worked, for Geekbench. Since it's a replacement, and i want to keep vanilla files as untouched as possible, i prefer to use Chameleonsm. When using your kernel i have to use macmodel flag because your kernel overrides the bootloader one. I was using AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext before.

But i will try it again, just for curiosity :) ... it's more "cosmetics" to me! but, i hate to look at System Profiler without it.

Will post the results later on your SMBIOS thread.. i have so much to post that i don't know were to start :)

About the Voodoobuild.. i have the latest Xcode. 3.0.0 version works fine!

Edit: You're right mate.. with MacPro2,1 kernel flag it works :D didn't even changed "biosversion". Downgrading my Mac... LoL

Edit:

post-291566-1235159998_thumb.png

I already tested your SMBIOS kext but only used MacPro3,1 and didn't worked, for Geekbench. Since it's a replacement, and i want to keep vanilla files as untouched as possible, i prefer to use Chameleonsm. When using your kernel i have to use macmodel flag because your kernel overrides the bootloader one. I was using AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext before.

But i will try it again, just for curiosity :) ... it's more "cosmetics" to me! but, i hate to look at System Profiler without it.

Will post the results later on your SMBIOS thread.. i have so much to post that i don't know were to start :)

About the Voodoobuild.. i have the latest Xcode. 3.0.0 version works fine!

NOTE: you have an older style Intel system.

In order for the HPET driver to work you have to install the older one + System.kext supplied in package.

Does cpus=2 work with this kernel? I know it does with Voodoo Kernel.

Sure it has that option.

Does cpus=2 work with this kernel? I know it does with Voodoo Kernel.

Perhaps the user means the kernel can work with cpus=2 , other kernel he must use cpus=1 to avoid kernel panic.

I dont think the kernel can fix bad coded ACPI Powermanagement parts of the bios.

Sure, he can set cpus=2 but the result will only be good if the bios has not an bad powermanagement part for the cpu.

Thats the reason why need for cpus=1 - avoid KP of using all cores in an bad bios environment.

NOTE: you have an older style Intel system.

In order for the HPET driver to work you have to install the older one + System.kext supplied in package.

Andy.. AppleHPET.kext doesn't load with System.kext from your package:

kld(): Undefined symbols:

_hpet_register_callback

kextload: kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHPET.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHPET

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHPET.kext

link/load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHPET.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

..with vanilla System.kext, loads fine.

I have many doubts about this HPET thing! Been messing with it lately, catching up with DSDT.. i found that i can load the kext with DSDT, if i patch DSDT with "-newHPET" but, i lose Ethernet. The strange part is, the HPET patch is exactly the same patching normaly or with "-newHPET".. i can't find any differences comparing files with FileMerge.

I also can load the kext with "kextload" and everything seems to work fine, though i don't know if it's doing anything?? I don't know if HPET is enabled on my mobo, there's no setting for it in BIOS.. i think it's not, because my PC came with XP MCE pre-installed and XP does not support HPET.

So, i really don't know if it's of any benefit for my machine?!

Andy.. AppleHPET.kext doesn't load with System.kext from your package:

..with vanilla System.kext, loads fine.

I have many doubts about this HPET thing! Been messing with it lately, catching up with DSDT.. i found that i can load the kext with DSDT, if i patch DSDT with "-newHPET" but, i lose Ethernet. The strange part is, the HPET patch is exactly the same patching normaly or with "-newHPET".. i can't find any differences comparing files with FileMerge.

I also can load the kext with "kextload" and everything seems to work fine, though i don't know if it's doing anything?? I don't know if HPET is enabled on my mobo, there's no setting for it in BIOS.. i think it's not, because my PC came with XP MCE pre-installed and XP does not support HPET.

So, i really don't know if it's of any benefit for my machine?!

Should work fine for you as long as you also use old AppleHPET driver anyhow + boot argument useoldhpet=1.

Works for me with this System.kext...

NOTE: it these days by default patches with -newHPET, check the source for the DSDT patcher...

Andy, please use something more common that sitx. And please upload it to a host where you don't have to split the files. This would make life easier. Thanks. :(

Sorry dude, got no place to upload...

Any StuffIt will do though and any Mac should have that anyhow too.

Sorry dude, got no place to upload...

Any StuffIt will do though and any Mac should have that anyhow too.

Thanks for your reply!

If I download an archive, I do not want to ...

- search for StuffIt on Google

- find the free product on the website

- enter my e-mail address

- open the e-mail and find the link

- realize that downloading the software will automatically sign me up to periodic follow up emails

- click the download link and some more clicking on the website

- wait three minutes for the download to finish

- install the software, agree to the license and enter my user password

- and finally extract the archive

When I could just ...

- download the ZIP archive, which Safari automatically extracts

I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't have StuffIt. Or at least use something not proprietary like RAR or 7Zip. Why make it more complex when it could be so easy?

As for the file hosting: There are tons of free hosters out there, like

http://www.rapidshare.com

http://www.megaupload.com/

etc.

And if everything else fails, just tell me and I will give you an FTP account to my website. Thanks! :)

You may download stuffit here.

@Andy: I can't use your latest kernel (v1.3), it won't load the interface, it just loops my login window. Any idea?

I'm not using HPET fix now but I've tried without success, it seems to be just the kernel the problem cause it boots fine with the older one.

Could it be the on-the-fly patcher for AMD systems? cause I remember that I had the same issue some time ago when I tried to boot an older xnu kernel with my unpatched system.

Should work fine for you as long as you also use old AppleHPET driver anyhow + boot argument useoldhpet=1.

Works for me with this System.kext...

hum... i completely forgot "useoldhpet=1".. :unsure: sorry. Will try again soon...

NOTE: it these days by default patches with -newHPET, check the source for the DSDT patcher...
.. can't get what do mean with this??

Gatered some more info on HPET in my machine.. i do have it listed as a device under Windows.

Maybe it's the other way and it's enabled by default?? ..cause, my machine is Vista ready (whatever that means :wacko: ) and Vista does use HPET. Just a thought..



Any word on the Voodoobuild thing? Am i missing something i should install?



camouflagX.. understand your point! But..

You can download Stuffit Expander (freeware) in Softpedia (and other software sites, i think) without registering. That works for a lot of other software too. :angel:

hum... i completely forgot "useoldhpet=1".. :unsure: sorry. Will try again soon...

.. can't get what do mean with this??

Gatered some more info on HPET in my machine.. i do have it listed as a device under Windows.

Maybe it's the other way and it's enabled by default?? ..cause, my machine is Vista ready (whatever that means :wacko: ) and Vista does use HPET. Just a thought..



Any word on the Voodoobuild thing? Am i missing something i should install?



camouflagX.. understand your point! But..

You can download Stuffit Expander (freeware) in Softpedia (and other software sites, i think) without registering. That works for a lot of other software too. :angel:

If you have got a cpu with HPET you don't need the old AppleHPET, use the new one... (You have Core Duo, has this...).

I use XCode 3.1.2 for building the sources, this builds everything fine for me...

About Vista using HPET: sure it does use this but it isn't required to run Vista...

You may download stuffit here.

@Andy: I can't use your latest kernel (v1.3), it won't load the interface, it just loops my login window. Any idea?

I'm not using HPET fix now but I've tried without success, it seems to be just the kernel the problem cause it boots fine with the older one.

Could it be the on-the-fly patcher for AMD systems? cause I remember that I had the same issue some time ago when I tried to boot an older xnu kernel with my unpatched system.

The only thing that changed from V1.2 to V1.3 is the new dynamic linker (dyld).

I use this kernel also on my friends AMD Athlon64 1st gen machine, works fine.

He has a fully patched system also though...

Just use Marvin's AMD Utility if all else fails, that should do the trick for pre-patching your system...

Q:

Is it possible to use both parts of the new dynamic linker (by pacifist) with vanilla kernel+system.kext ?

Intel dyld: Yes, it's in /usr/lib/dyld under the package.

AMD dyld: No, it's built-in into the kernel, unless you build it and then install it (but hell vanilla kernel + AMD no luck...).

Thanks for your reply!

If I download an archive, I do not want to ...

- search for StuffIt on Google

- find the free product on the website

- enter my e-mail address

- open the e-mail and find the link

- realize that downloading the software will automatically sign me up to periodic follow up emails

- click the download link and some more clicking on the website

- wait three minutes for the download to finish

- install the software, agree to the license and enter my user password

- and finally extract the archive

When I could just ...

- download the ZIP archive, which Safari automatically extracts

I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't have StuffIt. Or at least use something not proprietary like RAR or 7Zip. Why make it more complex when it could be so easy?

etc.

And if everything else fails, just tell me and I will give you an FTP account to my website. Thanks! <_<

torrent...

StuffIt Deluxe...

Thanks AnV !

Great informations !

I would put them shortened as FAQ also in the first posting.

I (DSDL patched GA-EP35-DS3) will use pacifist to install:

- kernel

- system.kext

- dyn linkers

Stay: AppleHPET, and orig. ApplePlatfrom .plist - i have no probs with AppleHPET (DSDL patched GA-EP35-DS3)

and report my results back soon.

For my knowledge HPET has many advantages insted RTC usage - HEPT takes less CPU cycles around and has more precision. I guess if no HPEt is loaded RTC (does same, but old+slower method) is used insted.

To ANV + Voodoo Team (not much urgent <_< )

Do you think it can does some advantage to compile different way (GCC 4.2, different settings like SSE3 + SSE3 sublemental enabled, .... ) ?

How does Voodoo Team compile its kernels ?

Would it be also an difference complie kernel with Intels high optimized compiler (i forgot the name) ?

Indeed, it uses RTC to HPET info mapping if no HPET is detected.

That is where the old AppleHPET driver comes in since it maps directly into the kernel, the new one runs stand-alone and AFAIK it doesn't work with RTC since it does a probe of the HPET device and fails...

I'm using XxX 10.5.6 Final.

I choose kernel & AppleACPIPlatform on install options.

kernel panic, I have to boot with -f

restore backuped AppleACPIPlatform.kext and everything went fine :D

AnV_XNU_960_kernel_V13_03.png

Thank you very much Andy :)

etc.

hope this will help :)

~4.64 MB

http://rapidshare.com/files/201196391/AnV_XNU_9.6.0_kernel_V1.3.dmg
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IATSW3LZ

AnV_XNU_960_kernel_V13_01.pngAnV_XNU_960_kernel_V13_02.png

I'm using XxX 10.5.6 Final.

I choose kernel & AppleACPIPlatform on install options.

kernel panic, I have to boot with -f

restore backuped AppleACPIPlatform.kext and everything went fine :)

AnV_XNU_960_kernel_V13_03.png

Thank you very much Andy :thumbsup_anim:

hope this will help :)

~4.64 MB

AnV_XNU_960_kernel_V13_01.pngAnV_XNU_960_kernel_V13_02.png

Well, if you can boot with -f you should have just rebuilt the extensions cache.

NOTE: To my knowledge the AppleIntelClock addition (intel-clock added under AppleACPIPlatform.kext's Info.plist) works only on Intel.

leopard

or

tiger

This one is Leopard V10.5.6 only.

For Tiger check my other xnu for V10.4.11 (It's based on older ToH patches).

I am testing this kernel but my profile changed and now read as "MacBook Pro" I don't have a laptop, it is a desktop, how do I change to says something like "MacPro"? :D

Update: never-mind, I found the way to do it, but I have another question, when I run GeekBench 64bit, it is still saying that my model is a hackintosh, but my profile says MacPro3,1? any ideas?

Use my AppleSMBIOS.kext Mac Pro version in combo with my kernel.

That will get all OK... (Including the BIOS version)

same here but i have different results :lol:

Do we have to add all the MacPro configuration into the Apple Boot Plist?

Read other reply...

That will get you on your way...

maybe we should use his applesmbios to be able to use the "macmodel" flag.

See other reply to id soft...

thanks, andy

with your kernel I can enable 64 bit mode with -force64 flag in amd phenom 9500, running chess and gekkbench 64 without problems, and with a better performance in geekbench

works like a charm in amd phenom, nforce4 (with applenforceata.kext modified by jalavoui booting in few seconds) with all of this work, getting closer "amd mac" friendly

thanks a lot

perisman

Sure, to my knowledge any 64bit SSE3 supported AMD can use -force64 to enable 64bit apps perfectly.

64bit SSE2 only AMDs don't work yet though... (bummer)

10.5.6 9g66 retail dvd , clean install so no kext mess, munky Efi partition method with just decrypt / ich plist / legacyhdaenabler and dsdt.aml with video/lan/audio/pci cards fix.

both 1.2 & 1.3 are working good here..... no problems of any kind and 1.3 give a +5/10% in all benchmark i tried ( Geekbench32/64, PI, Ogl benchmarks)

no mouse lag of any sorts and damn good 2 ms latency on my m-audio with logic 8.

Great work Anv !

peace

DS

PS : are "Febo" still there in Nl ? my gf loved to eat theyr foods.... every time we came over A'dam she used to stop @ every damn one ........ LOL

The performance increase is thx to the new dyld.

I'm wondering though... are there any who use AMD with retail stuff (not cpuids patched/decrypted)?

NOTE: decrypter is built-in so no extra decrypter kext is needed, it won't get used anyway...

It screwed my system, so I'll wait for another release.

(Got a run loop thingie, couldn't read the message entirely)

I would like to help you but then I need info on this error/bug.

Also I would then like to know what kind of system you have (CPU, etc...) plus the type of system in case of an AMD (retail/patched).

And when exactly did it forever loop something/what did it exactly run in an endless loop?

~4.64 MB

Thanks for this. I also had a problem with stuffit deluxe. It seems the old stuffit deluxe doesn't work. The new one, on the other hand, gives an error on my 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext/10.5.5 voodoo. The extracted version just made my day.

Thnx

Got it.. fassl's patcher applies HPET patch by default, but not with -newHPET option. At least that's what i got from his instructions.

Lately i've been patching DSDT mainly with ACPI Patcher (great tool, by the way) and manualy. Usualy i don't patch HPET and RTC. I'm using DSDT for Graphics, injecting Audio and some readings in Sys Profiler.

If you have got a cpu with HPET you don't need the old AppleHPET, use the new one... (You have Core Duo, has this...).

I use XCode 3.1.2 for building the sources, this builds everything fine for me...

About Vista using HPET: sure it does use this but it isn't required to run Vista...

Ok.. installed System.kext and AppleHPET.kext.. used useoldhpet=1 and the kext doesn't load by it self. But, now i don't get the error i was getting when loading it manually.

I did reinstalled my system.. was a bit messed up of all the testing.

Will give it a rest for now. AFAIK, HPET it's not required by any SO.

Starting to get the feeling this is one of those things that "has to be there", like EFI partition.. it's there but Apple doesn't use it. Don't know if Mac's use HPET?

As i read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Precision_Event_Timer) XP also contains a driver for HPET but it's not functional. I do have it listed as a device under Windows XP and i can disable/enable it.. it's enabled by default. Also shows on Everest report as sys device, PnP device, Windows device and in ACPI. In fact, Everest shows a HPET table under ACPI, apart from DSDT table...

I have Pentium D 925 and i can't find any reference of HPET on it Googlin' (or any other CPU) and i read that HPET is part of the chipset (http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/watercooler-catchall/topic/52108/), not CPU!?

As for OS X all i know is, i can load the kext.. if it's doing something or used by something, i don't know :) ..just trying to know my machine better.. it's hard to be noob :)

Thanks for all.

The performance increase is thx to the new dyld.

I'm wondering though... are there any who use AMD with retail stuff (not cpuids patched/decrypted)?

NOTE: decrypter is built-in so no extra decrypter kext is needed, it won't get used anyway...

I would like to help you but then I need info on this error/bug.

Also I would then like to know what kind of system you have (CPU, etc...) plus the type of system in case of an AMD (retail/patched).

And when exactly did it forever loop something/what did it exactly run in an endless loop?

In my case I have 2 10.5.6 installations, one for testing purposes and the other is my daily os. In both partitions I'm using your kernel without any patched app (cpuids) so I think that's the closest an AMD system can get to a vanilla install.

I'm also having that issue with your latest kernel, login window loop for ever, and I think this crash log might help:

NOTE: I was using vanilla dyld that time but yours gave me the same results.

Process:		 SecurityAgent [135]
Path:			/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/SecurityAgent
Identifier:	  SecurityAgent
Version:		 ??? (???)
Code Type:	   X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  securityd [34]

Date/Time:	   2009-02-22 02:01:16.223 -0200
OS Version:	  Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55)
Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   dyld							  0x8fe0a227 dlsym + 551
1   ???							   0x007012ab 0 + 7344811
2   ???							   0x05abf4f4 0 + 95155444
3   dyld							  0x8fe14e5b ImageLoaderMachO::doInitialization(ImageLoader::LinkContext const&) + 587
4   dyld							  0x8fe0e4e8 ImageLoader::recursiveInitialization(ImageLoader::LinkContext const&, unsigned int) + 248
5   dyld							  0x8fe0e47e ImageLoader::recursiveInitialization(ImageLoader::LinkContext const&, unsigned int) + 142
6   dyld							  0x8fe0e5d4 ImageLoader::runInitializers(ImageLoader::LinkContext const&) + 52
7   dyld							  0x8fe01c41 dyld::runInitializers(ImageLoader*) + 33
8   dyld							  0x8fe09e74 dlopen + 548
9   ???							   0x006de202 0 + 7201282
10  ???							   0x00a3c863 0 + 10733667
11  ???							   0x00a3d187 0 + 10736007
12  ???							   0x019bcb73 0 + 26987379
13  ???							   0x019bc2db 0 + 26985179
14  ???							   0x019bc18a 0 + 26984842
15  ???							   0x019bc14d 0 + 26984781
16  ???							   0x011297fd 0 + 17995773
17  ???							   0x01128f9a 0 + 17993626
18  ???							   0x00c81525 0 + 13112613
19  ???							   0x008d08b8 0 + 9242808
20  ???							   0x008cf239 0 + 9237049
21  ???							   0x008df6d6 0 + 9303766
22  ???							   0x000022b4 0 + 8884
23  ???							   0x00c803a3 0 + 13108131
24  ???							   0x00010fc7 0 + 69575
25  ???							   0x0000202a 0 + 8234

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
 eax: 0x00000000  ebx: 0xbffff0b0  ecx: 0x05b266d0  edx: 0x1741b9c0
 edi: 0x05ad746d  esi: 0x8fe0a00e  ebp: 0xbffff0e8  esp: 0xbffff0b0
  ss: 0x0000001f  efl: 0x00010282  eip: 0x8fe0a227   cs: 0x00000017
  ds: 0x0000001f   es: 0x0000001f   fs: 0x00000000   gs: 0x00000037
 cr2: 0x00000000

Binary Images:
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe2d323  dyld 97.1 (???) <8c7158891e6964e96e00122f91e7d879> /usr/lib/dyld

So Andy, my test partition is at your service, any idea you may have can be tested there, just let me know and I'll do it.

In my case I have 2 10.5.6 installations, one for testing purposes and the other is my daily os. In both partitions I'm using your kernel without any patched app (cpuids) so I think that's the closest an AMD system can get to a vanilla install.

I'm also having that issue with your latest kernel, login window loop for ever, and I think this crash log might help:

NOTE: I was using vanilla dyld that time but yours gave me the same results.

Process:		 SecurityAgent [135]
Path:			/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/SecurityAgent
Identifier:	  SecurityAgent
Version:		 ??? (???)
Code Type:	   X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  securityd [34]

Date/Time:	   2009-02-22 02:01:16.223 -0200
OS Version:	  Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55)
Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   dyld							  0x8fe0a227 dlsym + 551
1   ???							   0x007012ab 0 + 7344811
2   ???							   0x05abf4f4 0 + 95155444
3   dyld							  0x8fe14e5b ImageLoaderMachO::doInitialization(ImageLoader::LinkContext const&) + 587
4   dyld							  0x8fe0e4e8 ImageLoader::recursiveInitialization(ImageLoader::LinkContext const&, unsigned int) + 248
5   dyld							  0x8fe0e47e ImageLoader::recursiveInitialization(ImageLoader::LinkContext const&, unsigned int) + 142
6   dyld							  0x8fe0e5d4 ImageLoader::runInitializers(ImageLoader::LinkContext const&) + 52
7   dyld							  0x8fe01c41 dyld::runInitializers(ImageLoader*) + 33
8   dyld							  0x8fe09e74 dlopen + 548
9   ???							   0x006de202 0 + 7201282
10  ???							   0x00a3c863 0 + 10733667
11  ???							   0x00a3d187 0 + 10736007
12  ???							   0x019bcb73 0 + 26987379
13  ???							   0x019bc2db 0 + 26985179
14  ???							   0x019bc18a 0 + 26984842
15  ???							   0x019bc14d 0 + 26984781
16  ???							   0x011297fd 0 + 17995773
17  ???							   0x01128f9a 0 + 17993626
18  ???							   0x00c81525 0 + 13112613
19  ???							   0x008d08b8 0 + 9242808
20  ???							   0x008cf239 0 + 9237049
21  ???							   0x008df6d6 0 + 9303766
22  ???							   0x000022b4 0 + 8884
23  ???							   0x00c803a3 0 + 13108131
24  ???							   0x00010fc7 0 + 69575
25  ???							   0x0000202a 0 + 8234

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
  eax: 0x00000000  ebx: 0xbffff0b0  ecx: 0x05b266d0  edx: 0x1741b9c0
  edi: 0x05ad746d  esi: 0x8fe0a00e  ebp: 0xbffff0e8  esp: 0xbffff0b0
ss: 0x0000001f  efl: 0x00010282  eip: 0x8fe0a227   cs: 0x00000017
ds: 0x0000001f   es: 0x0000001f   fs: 0x00000000   gs: 0x00000037
  cr2: 0x00000000

Binary Images:
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe2d323  dyld 97.1 (???) <8c7158891e6964e96e00122f91e7d879> /usr/lib/dyld

So Andy, my test partition is at your service, any idea you may have can be tested there, just let me know and I'll do it.

Hmmmm...

It's the new dynamic linker which is built into the kernel which is giving the problems in this case...

Did V1.2 work fine for you without these crashes?

If so I'll rebuild the dylinker + stuff needed for dylinker with regular gcc 4.0 to see if it then is solved.

Perhaps I should thus make 2 versions...

Let me know and I'll see what I can do.