omni driver for ATI with QE/CI/GL

omni

163 posts in this topic

I have not tried any full screen applications, I need to have basic functionality working first before.

I did implement hardware cursor last night and it's not working properly. A function from IOFramebuffer that's supposed to do the actual conversion fail and there's no debug output suggesting why.

Also, my DDC does not work and I dont get any correct monitor details yet.

I have not tried any full screen applications, I need to have basic functionality working first before.

I did implement hardware cursor last night and it's not working properly. A function from IOFramebuffer that's supposed to do the actual conversion fail and there's no debug output suggesting why.

Also, my DDC does not work and I dont get any correct monitor details yet.

is because IOFramebuffer hw cursort "convert" function is "generic" but not special for ati

if you want to make it work you shold implement ati hw convert cursor function

simple:)

is because IOFramebuffer hw cursort "convert" function is "generic" but not special for ati

if you want to make it work you shold implement ati hw convert cursor function

simple:)

...now you tell me :D

Great work omni, Jas, and anybody else who contributed to creating this driver.

If in its current state it'd damage CRT monitors, I say let them have all the time they need to fix whatever needs to be worked out. Some unfortunate person might not know it only works properly with LCDs and well... I doubt any of us would want to be in his or her shoes.

I got a Dell 2005fpw just do I could enjoy OS X in it's native widescreen 1680x1050. I'm getting a little tired of seeing 1280x1024 get stretched across the screen, so I'm estatic about all this. :poster_oops:

omni, np_

great deal, great work.

I'm also a little bit anoyed about the mousetearing, but I'm also a developer (but "only" java, maybe I dig into C *ggg*) and I know what it means to develop a product with high demand. :)

dripple

I did a light pruning of this thread to remove just a few of the less useful posts, and make it a little more readable. I hope no-one feels unfairly deleted, if you feel your post had something to contribute to this effort and it has been removed, feel free to PM me about it.

And just to re-iterate:

This is a development thread for an as-yet unreleased driver, please do not clutter it with requests for the driver or its release date.

For those of you posting congratulations, I heartily agree with you, but posting your sentiments here does 2 things: it makes people believe it has been released, and clutters the thread yet again. Im sure we will all have plenty of scope to pat the developers on the back once it is out. :(

Edit: Hmm. reading through, I am tempted to cut closer to the bone, maybe the OP would care to guide me on that..

Edited by Hagar

Hey Hagar,

technically, this thread was more of a statement than solicitation for responses. Some people were complaining (there's always someone) that I had a driver working, but no CI/QE/GL, so I thought to put my foot in their mouth, that's all :D

Otherwise, do as you see fit, I appreciate mods attention to reduce clutter.

thanks

Someone asked about some games, so I tried Tribal Trouble and it seems to be working ok, thought there are some glitches in windowed mode, but not sure if that's my system or the game or the driver. Either way the game resolution scales nicely up to 1600x1200 (my LCD max).

This screenshot was taken on a Viewsonic VP201b LCD, running in analog (CRT) mode, since I am still re-working the DFP support (due to lack of I2C/DDC)

P.S. I've updated the screenshot, was way too big, no reason for a whole desktop to show.

post-3389-1145126272_thumb.jpg

Great work omni!

Just a question : Does your driver support dual display too (not mirror mode) connecting both vga & dvi connectors of your ati video card to 2 monitors?

Thanks!

Mal

It does not support dual monitors at the moment.

Omni, i have two questions for you.

- are you working alone in the ATI frame buffer proyect ?

- have you plans for release the source code for getting help from another programmers from this or other forums (aka GNU style) ?

I think you and every Mac x86 programmer/Hacker can improve his work sharing the source code and requesting help, this is my humble opinion .

Note: Im only a hobbist programmer, not too advanced for helping here :D, but someone in this forum can help.

Omni, i have two questions for you.

- are you working alone in the ATI frame buffer proyect ?

- have you plans for release the source code for getting help from another programmers from this or other forums (aka GNU style) ?

I think you and every Mac x86 programmer/Hacker can improve his work sharing the source code and requesting help, this is my humble opinion .

Note: Im only a hobbist programmer, not too advanced for helping here :blink:, but someone in this forum can help.

- Yes

- No

I just want to comment on something, which is trully aggrevating me. It seems with some (if not most) people it never ends.

At first people were complaining about lack of resolution change and refresh change. So someone (me in this case) sat down, learnt what needs to be done because nobody else truly cares (else we'd have 100s of developers and not just a handful) and made a driver that does it.

Around the same time another group started complaining about lack of QE/CI/GL with this driver and how that's terribly important as well. And yet that part was rectified as as well, so there is QE/CI/GL co-existing with my driver.

Now I am hearing complaints how dual monitors are not supported (this is nothing to do with the poster on the previous page, there were others who were asking about dual monitors before).

So I am asking, does it ever end with you people? Are you ever going to be happy (past the fact getting your hands on my driver)?

Because if I am going to start getting nagging after I release an alpha version of the driver, how this doesnt work or that doesnt work (like dual monitors, TV out, video capture and other things), I am contemplating not releasing anything at all.

I am not a resident ATI developer, I never liked ATI and actually prefer NVidia over it. I took upon myself to write a driver because I was desperate at one point of time to have a different resolution on my screen due to lack of NVidia drivers with appropriate acceleration. But things have changed since...Thus, if you want all features of your ATI working you should consider buying a real Mac computer which has it all working 100%.

There, I said what was on my mind, take it anyway you like it.

Omni, I think I can speak for everyone that we truely appreciate your contributions. That being said, software support really never ends with any piece of software. There's always room for improvement and bug fixes. Even if you had a fully working ATI driver, people would be asking for the ability to tweek the clock speeds, allow TV output, etc.. If this is really too much to handle, I'd suggest just releasing the software and source code so others can build on what you've already done. Granted, it's really your own perogative if you want to keep the software and not release it to anyone, but eventially, I'd think that someone else is going to create a driver and have to go through the same hurdles you did, so you'd really be doing that person a favor.

I just want to comment on something, which is trully aggrevating me. It seems with some (if not most) people it never ends.

At first people were complaining about lack of resolution change and refresh change. So someone (me in this case) sat down, learnt what needs to be done because nobody else truly cares (else we'd have 100s of developers and not just a handful) and made a driver that does it.

Around the same time another group started complaining about lack of QE/CI/GL with this driver and how that's terribly important as well. And yet that part was rectified as as well, so there is QE/CI/GL co-existing with my driver.

Now I am hearing complaints how dual monitors are not supported (this is nothing to do with the poster on the previous page, there were others who were asking about dual monitors before).

So I am asking, does it ever end with you people? Are you ever going to be happy (past the fact getting your hands on my driver)?

Because if I am going to start getting nagging after I release an alpha version of the driver, how this doesnt work or that doesnt work (like dual monitors, TV out, video capture and other things), I am contemplating not releasing anything at all.

I am not a resident ATI developer, I never liked ATI and actually prefer NVidia over it. I took upon myself to write a driver because I was desperate at one point of time to have a different resolution on my screen due to lack of NVidia drivers with appropriate acceleration. But things have changed since...Thus, if you want all features of your ATI working you should consider buying a real Mac computer which has it all working 100%.

There, I said what was on my mind, take it anyway you like it.

Well personally id be more than happy with omnis driver right now as it stands and if it blew me monitor so what id just need to buy another what im saying is omnis trying in his own personal time to do us all here a favour so why not just leave him alone and stop moaning and asking for other features be happy with what you get it anything

just my 2 bobs worth :blink: