Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

no vanilla kernel? :(:(:(:( no sleep/shutdown :shock::shock::shock:

what method did you use to try the vanilla kernel?

EDIT: wait, isnt modbin for AMD CPUs????? that is possibly the reason for no shutdown/sleep.

Profiler shows 0 cpus (?) but 4 cores.

Cinebench results with a 7800GTX card were slightly better than those reported above.

Vanilla kernel was part of the boot-132 disk I built and it reset the PC almost immediately. There's a message about finding the clock multiplier to be 0 (it's 20x for this cpu) and that this would cause a reset.

Any alternatives to modbin? the voodoo kernel (beta2) also reboots PC.

I wonder what changes to the kernel Modbin makes that allows it to boot. :2cents:

So, audio is working, I presume?

All things considered (no one else has tailored a working install for i7 up to this point that I know of), I think that's pretty good news. Shutdown and sleep are minor holdups for a month or so. :P When Apple releases the Core i7 Mac Pros (I hope) and ATI 4870 (I hope), we should have some system updates that will bring the new mobos up to par.

I'm already purchasing new parts for a i7 system. So far, it's just a Lian Li Case and Thermaltake 850W Toughpower modular PS. w00t!

regards,

MAJ

Yes, audio is working.

Remember the vanilla kernel tests for specific cpu types, and the i7 is one step above Core 2 Duo series. The other kernels disable this check allowing more generic, i.e AMD cpu's to be used.

The voodoo kernel based on vanilla 9.5 supposedly at RC today should be interesting...

Cruisin; What version are you running? (10.5.2?)

Tried asking on Apple Discussion about i7..... didn't end too well :rolleyes:

lol, that i can imagine!!

perhaps the AMD kernel works because isnt the i7 now very similar to the AMD? as in, that the memory controller is integrated into the die.

considering its been like a week (or 2)? since the i7s came out, i dont think this is too bad!

Tried asking on Apple Discussion about i7..... didn't end too well :(

I think I found your thread...

Since rumors are against the TOU and no one here knows Apple intent because we are all users like yourself, I can't answer your question about the i7 or when the next model if the Mac Pro will be released.

The standard answer given here is if you need a new system buy it. If not, then don't. It is that simple. Worry about any future releases is totally counterproductive.

Translation: we all humble ourselves beneath the all-knowing majesty of the perfect master. it would indeed be blasphemy to question his purposes. he has kindly instructed us never to write or even to think, much less question, his intentions. please line up with the other sheep, pay your money, and eat what you're fed, with a vacant smile, and a prayer of thanks. thinking, much less reasoning, about why much of apple's product line is using chips from 1 or 2 years ago and apple only upgrades them when intel stops manufacturing them, is both counterproductive, and forbidden.

Translation: we all humble ourselves beneath the all-knowing majesty of the perfect master. it would indeed be blasphemy to question his purposes. he has kindly instructed us never to write or even to think, much less question, his intentions. please line up with the other sheep, pay your money, and eat what you're fed, with a vacant smile, and a prayer of thanks. thinking, much less reasoning, about why much of apple's product line is using chips from 1 or 2 years ago and apple only upgrades them when intel stops manufacturing them, is both counterproductive, and forbidden.

Actually Apple has often gotten chips before most of the other computer companies. The 3.2 ghz quad core in the Mac Pros wasn't available initially for anyone else, likewise the 2.8 ghz in the iMacs (and I think at least one other earlier high end chip) and the MacBook Air's chip.

I don't know exactly why they are running late to the party for the i7 chips, but it doesn't take a great deal of imagination to figure they are most likely holding out for the January Mac World Expo. I can't see any other big hardware announcements they are likely to make.

Fair enough, but that very quad in the mac pro is looking mighty old right now, and the mac mini is running a 33Mhz Pentium Pro. OK well its got a CPU that is 18 or 24 months old. I read that Apple's xmas product lineup is fixed. I guess we'll see something in January. But there I go again, questioning the wisdom of perfect master Jobs...

Apple will most likely be using the Xeon version of the Core i7 in the next Mac Pros.

What I hope is, they start using the GTX260 or 280 vid cards - the 8800s they're using are REALLY old.

I think I found your thread...

:(

Apple will most likely be using the Xeon version of the Core i7 in the next Mac Pros.

What I hope is, they start using the GTX260 or 280 vid cards - the 8800s they're using are REALLY old.

Since Apple is going to be baking in support for using the video cards for other system tasks in 10.6, I suspect you will not only be seeing support for newer video cards, but probably also SLI/Crossfire perhaps in as much as a quad or triple configuration.

I'd say the 8800 GTS 512 MB VRAM

QUOTE(luh3417 @ Nov 25 2008, 10:57 PM) post_snapback.gifI think I found your thread...

;)

:unsure:

No but seriously, what version works? 10.5.5 or 10.5.2?

I'm planning on snagging a 920 on ebay for $270 (shipping included) using coupons!

Gigabyte Mobo on newegg for $245

3 GB 1333 DDR3 RAM for $124, $104 after rebate

Powermac G5 Old, but functional with all parts; $125

The min. price I could sell all of these parts for on ebay; $200

Have hard disks

Video 8800 GTS 512 MB $170, $140 after rebate

Existing 650 Watt power supply

Total cost: $684, Not too bad :)

Ebay is your friend

:)

No luck on update... tried different kernels, but only kalyways 10.5.2 stable.

Geekbench score is 9150, handbrake video conversion pretty fast, system is snappy...

On stock cooler pretty quiet...

Geekbench_score.tiff

Lol thats a pretty awesome score. Wow

How much RAM did you go with? I'm pretty certain if you went with a retail method you could get it up and running with updates.

Lol thats a pretty awesome score. Wow

How much RAM did you go with? I'm pretty certain if you went with a retail method you could get it up and running with updates.

my macpro gets 4000 something i think. its 2x2.66 9gb ram radionx1900!!!

so yeh, not a bad score. just waiting on my p6t from scan uk!! oh yeh, and when i finish my g5 case!!

my macpro gets 4000 something i think. its 2x2.66 9gb ram radionx1900!!!

so yeh, not a bad score. just waiting on my p6t from scan uk!! oh yeh, and when i finish my g5 case!!

Mine gets in the 6000's, and yea i'm definitely gonna go with the i7 920 combo with the Gigabyte board here soon. Sell my old pieces.

Just reinstalled XP on another harddisk. Didn´t use windows for a long time....and I tell you, the I7 rocks, it is even snappier under XP-prof.

I have 4 Gig of OCZ Value 1330 ram, for 100 Euro. Just waiting fro the frckn retention module from Noctua, otherwise I cant build the mainboard in my case. With stock cooler, which is really quiet, the processor heats up to 80 °C. So the Noctua should do much better...Hardwaremonitor isn´t working. So temps can only checked under windows...

This weekend I will try a retail install....

Just reinstalled XP on another harddisk. Didn´t use windows for a long time....and I tell you, the I7 rocks, it is even snappier under XP-prof.

I have 4 Gig of OCZ Value 1330 ram, for 100 Euro. Just waiting fro the frckn retention module from Noctua, otherwise I cant build the mainboard in my case. With stock cooler, which is really quiet, the processor heats up to 80 °C. So the Noctua should do much better...Hardwaremonitor isn´t working. So temps can only checked under windows...

This weekend I will try a retail install....

Very nice very nice, keep us posted. :D