Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Hi PoloBear,

I am struggling with i7 965 on EX-58UD5 too. I built temporary system and tested several kernels and kexts.

- Vanilla Kernel does notwork

- Modbin Kernel 9.4.0 works with 10.5.5 environment but somehow I can't create soft RAID drive (creation error). You can get it from #10.5 channel of the irc.osx86.hu.

- Recently released Voodoo XNU Kernel 9.5.0 Release Candidate works too. You need "busratio=xx" (in my case, xx=24 or 25) option for boot loader. I still have some strange behavior on diskutil but it looks I can create multiple soft RAID drives. You can get it from:

xnu-dev Google Code

Now, I am trying to install the system on the soft RAID drive.

Hi PoloBear,

I am struggling with i7 965 on EX-58UD5 too. I built temporary system and tested several kernels and kexts.

- Vanilla Kernel does notwork

- Modbin Kernel 9.4.0 works with 10.5.5 environment but somehow I can't create soft RAID drive (creation error). You can get it from #10.5 channel of the irc.osx86.hu.

- Recently released Voodoo XNU Kernel 9.5.0 Release Candidate works too. You need "busratio=xx" (in my case, xx=24 or 25) option for boot loader. I still have some strange behavior on diskutil but it looks I can create multiple soft RAID drives. You can get it from:

xnu-dev Google Code

Now, I am trying to install the system on the soft RAID drive.

Followed this guide to install on raid

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=613

Not sure if you needed it or not, just being helpful.

I7 920 on Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 8600gts, WD 500 AAKS

Xbench 220

Kallyway 10.5.2 installs fine, audio needs TLC, 8 cores with hyperthreading, xbench and visualhub pretty fast......

trying the updates now....

happy hacking...

Need a little help...

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 X58

INTEL CORE I7 920 2.66GHz

SAPPHIRE HD3650 512MB

PATRIOT 3x2GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I've tried many installs (Kalyway, iAtkos 4i, Retail... stock kernel, non-stock kernel) using the guides on the forum but none will fully boot without getting stuck after install (either endless restarts or panics). Can you breakdown what you installed with Kalyway 10.5.2?

First I tried to boot from my regular bootdisk 10.5.5 but KP because of hardwaremonitor. The programm is ok but extended Intel drivers for penryn chips causes the PANIC.

I dont exactly recall all the settings, but it was the intel chipset fix for sure....No Natit/Nvinject, running on EFI-strings...no Sound cause its not working from the disks, fixed it with newer kexts...

what is your bios version?

which settings for ahci?

IDE-AHCI-Jmicron settings or turned off?

First I tried to boot from my regular bootdisk 10.5.5 but KP because of hardwaremonitor. The programm is ok but extended Intel drivers for penryn chips causes the PANIC.

I dont exactly recall all the settings, but it was the intel chipset fix for sure....No Natit/Nvinject, running on EFI-strings...no Sound cause its not working from the disks, fixed it with newer kexts...

what is your bios version?

which settings for ahci?

IDE-AHCI-Jmicron settings or turned off?

I've tried ACHI off and on, but no luck.

Latest try was with a 10.5.5 retail install with new Voodoo kernel, but getting KPs

post-211959-1228060030_thumb.jpg

post-211959-1228060139_thumb.jpg

it might be worth posting this in the voodoo thread or pming modsquad!

make sure you show him those images though.

as more and more people get the i7, its in everybodies interest to use the voodoo kernel!

I've tried ACHI off and on, but no luck.

Latest try was with a 10.5.5 retail install with new Voodoo kernel, but getting KPs

Edited by ѕӎөөҭңӌ

it might be worth posting this in the voodoo thread or pming modsquad!

make sure you show him those images though.

as more and more people get the i7, its in everybodies interest to use the voodoo kernel!

Can you post a link to "the voodoo thread"?

Can you post a link to "the voodoo thread"?

Sorry for not mentioning it, but I actually sent this issue over to the development team for the Voodoo kernel first. Still trying every option for the x58 mobo and Core i7 cpu setup. I will start noting as much as I can and also start taking more shots of my screens after each failed attempt (and will scream in joy after a success).

Okay.... I have finally got this working after 5 days!

So far, two successful attempt have been made using iAtkos 5 DVD. One selecting the 9.5 Voodoo kernel (beta) and the other selecting the 9.5 kernel by Fassl. With Voodoo had to use "busratio=" at prompt (if not KP received).

Other selections/patches were: Chameleon Bootloader, Apple Decrypt, SMBIOS Resolver, Stock ACPI modified, Disabler.kext, SATA/IDE, Intel Speedstep a

Will run test later today. Also haven't installed any addotional apps yet.

Hey Weavie,

Make sure AHCI is on in bios and any IDE is disabled

Try installing with leo4all v3, makesure you boot with this "maxmem=2048"

Let me know how it goes with leo4all v3

Also, ACHI was on and IDE was disabled. Not sure about any other boards but this is my second Gigabyte and this has always made a major difference in speed.

All memory was recognized in the "About this Mac" window but when you select Memory on the left it does not correctly show the 3rd slot, it only shows 2 slots are occupied. Only shows 7 cores.

I like the Asus P6T, too, but I think it's an issue of more OSX86 compatible hardware. I'm not sure.

Both boards have the same Northbridge (duh) and Southbridge. SATA plus RAID support is handled via Southbridge (ICH10R). Differences are below:

ASUS:

• LAN: Marvell 88E8056

• Audio = ADI AD2000B

• Firewire = VIA VT6308

• SAS RAID = Marvell 88SE6320 (don't know about this)

• PATA and eSATA = Marvell 88SE6111 (don't know about this either, but doubt many would use it)

GIGABYTE:

• LAN: Realtek 8111D

• Audio: ALC 889A

- Firewire: TI TSB43AB23

• PATA: GIGABYTE SATA2 chip?? (

• Floppy drive (LOL!): iTE 8720

We'll leave it to Cruisin Aruban to get all the bugs worked out. :P

regards,

MAJ

..... so which one is more compatible?

Has anyone got boot-132 to work with Intel Core i7? I want to build a Core i7 PC but I want to make sure I can run Mac OS X on it, if possible, and I prefer the boot-132 method over the "hacked" cd method, such as brazilMac, etc. So, will the following hardware work with the boot-132 method? Should I go with the intel x58 motherboard or one of the gigabyte motherboards? Any advice would be sooo helpful! Thanks...

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9 - Retail

XFX PVT98WYDFH GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

I prefer the boot-132 method, too. But, it's ideal to have a running system first, then work on tweaking the install kexts, etc.

I don't want to keep running the OS X Install DVD after each KP, but rather use the dmg version on another partition for faster results.

When the perfect working install is formulated, then we can share the fine details about what kernels, kexts, etc. works. It's nice that those working on that Gigabyte board are posting the exact distros, kernels, kexts, that worked for them.

My parts will be in a few days and I can't wait to get started!

regards,

MAJ

Your FSB is not right 133 x 20 = 2660 = Intel core i7 920 "2.66"

try fsb=133 -v -f

133 is what I remember using when I tried the retail install the first time using the Voodoo RC. My successful attempt with the Voodoo beta came by just entering the "busratio=20" and nothing else from the iatkos 5 install.

I am going to attempt the retail install again now that I know what works and what doesn't.

No vanilla Kernel? It might be due to DSDT problems?

Anyone running the new Core i7 with 'DSDT patch' and vanilla kernel? It's almost as easy as the boot132 method, but its BETTER a lot BETTER...

With this method you may not need voodookernel, and this method lets you use IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext without the need of disabler!, and you might be able to upgrade to 10.5.6 with Apple realtime clock kext.

Solution:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330 #see first post, use v6.1

#This will install chameleon based bootloader"EDIT:custom bootloader based on boot132 by david elliot and turbo, munky and all the people that are not mentioned"

#This one will use a seperate "EFI" partition for putting al the KExts, Kernels, and Plists / DSDT in.

#Therefore the whole system stay's vanilla and all the changes to OSX go into seperate partition"EFI", MOST important you can run UPDATES.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=38192 #download and run patcher

#Run the patcher, copy the dsdt.aml to the root of the new created 'EFI' parition DSDT.aml

than boot with vanilla kernel?

Who wants to try?

If so, than the Gigabyte will be the next system to build.

Narrowing it down:

Gigabyte X58 UD5 (Due to recent success with most gigabyte products/ 2 full 16x PCIe-2.0 slots) 329.99 from Micro Center since i hate waiting.

3gigs of DDR3 at the best price i can find. Sources will be newegg or FRYS etc. Looks like the markets right at 100 bucks for this, will add 3gigs more later.

Use 2 existing 500gig sata drives i have laying around.

i7 920 of course, right at 300 smackers.

Use existing wireless card and video cards, hopefully i can get the GX2 functioning with this board.

All totaling around 800 dollars hmm

just thought i would point out to avoid confusion, that what you are linking to is not the chameleon bootloader. it is a custom bootloader based on boot123 by david elliot and turbo. there will be a new chameleon release soon, just to add to the bootloader list as well.

i think im going to go with the asus p6t, mainly because i think it looks nicer, as that is all there seems to be a difference in (apart from price)

Solution:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330 #see first post, use v6.1

#This will install chameleon bootloader.