AppleVIAATA over 4gb RAM bug solved (at least i believe so)! JMicron and AppleNForceATA at development

slashack

568 posts in this topic

I did, just use info.plist from the original JMICRONATA.kext from Apple (make sure you have your product id inserted to it) and it will work. For some reason the latest info.plist panics.

This has been bugging me! Thank you! Worked over here also! It's good to have my eSata ports back!!!!

i try this and works perfectly my nforce 570 with 4GB. But this appleNForceATA make my dvd cant read disks. Befere i cant read too only appleNForceATA TEST by Taruga works with my dvd. The only iso that can boot from my dvd is ideneb 1.3, i say that because he add a fix for this chipsets.

i try this and works perfectly my nforce 570 with 4GB. But this appleNForceATA make my dvd cant read disks. Befere i cant read too only appleNForceATA TEST by Taruga works with my dvd. The only iso that can boot from my dvd is ideneb 1.3, i say that because he add a fix for this chipsets.

Can u post link to tarugas topic? maybe we can merge code and fix this issue for you.

I've got an nForce 4 chipset and can boot without problems in the system with 4 GB. But if I want to burn or write a disk image wit toast the machine stops and crashes at some time. Could this problem solved by the new driver? Actually I'm using 3 GB by a BIOS limitation, Toast works fine now.

I've got an nForce 4 chipset and can boot without problems in the system with 4 GB. But if I want to burn or write a disk image wit toast the machine stops and crashes at some time. Could this problem solved by the new driver? Actually I'm using 3 GB by a BIOS limitation, Toast works fine now.

That's the idea of this driver. When u try to use an IDE drive and your system has more than 2/3 GB of RAM, then it crashes because there's a limitation of the ammount of memory u can use with only 32 bits (32 bits kernel/drivers are old, but are the one that enables us to use IDE drives). I've corrected those drivers to use 64 bits so u can use them with more memory.

If u are not sure if this is the problem, just enable all your RAM and boot with -v debug=0x100 and try to get a panic (run rember to test all your memory and then try to burn a dvd or watch a movie). At this point u might have a kernel panic. Take a photo of your screen (the whole screen!) and post it here.

Hi. I have 4Gb of RAM and I keep getting kernel panics even with the patched JMicronATA. I don't get them when inserting a DVD, but after awhile I am extracting its content (with mactheripper etc.).

I have a retail Leopard installation with the patched kexts in the EFI partition. See my signature for specs.

I am attaching my dump.txt. Is anybody able to help me? Thanks.

dumpino.txt

Hi. I have 4Gb of RAM and I keep getting kernel panics even with the patched JMicronATA. I don't get them when inserting a DVD, but after awhile I am extracting its content (with mactheripper etc.).

I have a retail Leopard installation with the patched kexts in the EFI partition. See my signature for specs.

I am attaching my dump.txt. Is anybody able to help me? Thanks.

Boot with -v debug=0x100 and force the panic. Then take a picture of the screen (the whole screen!) and post it.

So, I tested the new driver yesterday. Good news: The 4Gig problem with Toast is solved.

But I still can't use the driver acually. During boot process (about a minute) I get thousands of scrolling messages 'FEDE genero 32IOVMSegments' and something with 64bit or so, I can't see it. I can't see any other output (when booting with -v) with the patched AppleNForceATA.kext. Also when I want to reboot the system and shortly before rebooting the verbose screen appears for a short time there are still scrolling these 32IOVMSegments things. I don't know what happens there while I'm using the system. I have a photo of this, but it's totally blurry because the texts scrolls so fast.

One new problem which I had the process 'fseventsd' used about 99-130% CPU (Dual-Core). In the Console I got an output '(org.postfix.master) Throttling respawn, Will restart in 9 seconds' all over and over. I never had this before. I also never had Dual-Core/throttling/stuttering problems. I solved the problem by deleting /System/Library/Preferences/org.postfix.master.plist. This thing is kinda SMTP-Server or such thing.

I removed the patched AppleNForceATA with the old one. AppleVIAATA.kext wasn't even loaded, even as I inserted my device ID and the ID of my onboard SiliconImage 3114 RAID Controller (0x31141095). That's curious, because in Tiger I only used AppleVIAATA.kext.

Trying with -v deug=0x100 wasn't creating a kernel panic. I'm still using kernel 9.3.0, I had 9.5.0 beta2c already on my system but removed it wor testing reasons. And at least the drive is still slow. My IDE HD got an Xbench score of about 53, SATA 46.5, and an identical HD on another port only 40.5 (!) The SATA HDs are Samsung HD501LJ, so rather new. On Tiger with an ATA133 IDE HD I had amazing disk results.

Have you an idea what this problem could be?

So, I tested the new driver yesterday. Good news: The 4Gig problem with Toast is solved.

But I still can't use the driver acually. During boot process (about a minute) I get thousands of scrolling messages 'FEDE genero 32IOVMSegments' and something with 64bit or so, I can't see it. I can't see any other output (when booting with -v) with the patched AppleNForceATA.kext. Also when I want to reboot the system and shortly before rebooting the verbose screen appears for a short time there are still scrolling these 32IOVMSegments things. I don't know what happens there while I'm using the system. I have a photo of this, but it's totally blurry because the texts scrolls so fast.

One new problem which I had the process 'fseventsd' used about 99-130% CPU (Dual-Core). In the Console I got an output '(org.postfix.master) Throttling respawn, Will restart in 9 seconds' all over and over. I never had this before. I also never had Dual-Core/throttling/stuttering problems. I solved the problem by deleting /System/Library/Preferences/org.postfix.master.plist. This thing is kinda SMTP-Server or such thing.

I removed the patched AppleNForceATA with the old one. AppleVIAATA.kext wasn't even loaded, even as I inserted my device ID and the ID of my onboard SiliconImage 3114 RAID Controller (0x31141095). That's curious, because in Tiger I only used AppleVIAATA.kext.

Trying with -v deug=0x100 wasn't creating a kernel panic. I'm still using kernel 9.3.0, I had 9.5.0 beta2c already on my system but removed it wor testing reasons. And at least the drive is still slow. My IDE HD got an Xbench score of about 53, SATA 46.5, and an identical HD on another port only 40.5 (!) The SATA HDs are Samsung HD501LJ, so rather new. On Tiger with an ATA133 IDE HD I had amazing disk results.

Have you an idea what this problem could be?

Yes. You´ve missed something in the first post. DEBUG kexts are for DEBUGGING. DEBUGGING is for finding bugs in case the normal kext doesn´t work for you.

This is for everyone:

DON´T INSTALL DEBUG KEXTS UNLESS I TELL YOU SO

Yes, its OK now. Better seperate the debug drivers from the normal drivers and add an information line to it.

Now it works. The boot process looks much better now ;-) I'm actually using the Voodoo XNU 9.5.0 RC kernel, too. To fill the memory I didn't use Rember, I filled it with real applications. I was running Parallels, Logic, Motion, Mainstage, Final Cut, Aperture, Preview, Activity Monitor, Mail and the web browser iCab. So I filled up to 3,79 GB RAM. Then I opened Toast and created a 7,65 GB dvd with over 33.000 files from 3 different harddisks. (To get so many files I used the HVSC, the High Voltage SID Collection). Toast worked w/o problems and wrote the image in 2:45 mins. Great!

Excellent work, slashack! :P Now if the driver would get a speedup boost you would have solved the last big problem I have.

Boot with -v debug=0x100 and force the panic. Then take a picture of the screen (the whole screen!) and post it.

Thank you very much for your interest. Sorry for the delay of my reply, but I've been out for awhile.

Here is a screen on my panic. Please let me know what you think.

post-22378-1227821893_thumb.jpg

Yes, its OK now. Better seperate the debug drivers from the normal drivers and add an information line to it.

Now it works. The boot process looks much better now ;-) I'm actually using the Voodoo XNU 9.5.0 RC kernel, too. To fill the memory I didn't use Rember, I filled it with real applications. I was running Parallels, Logic, Motion, Mainstage, Final Cut, Aperture, Preview, Activity Monitor, Mail and the web browser iCab. So I filled up to 3,79 GB RAM. Then I opened Toast and created a 7,65 GB dvd with over 33.000 files from 3 different harddisks. (To get so many files I used the HVSC, the High Voltage SID Collection). Toast worked w/o problems and wrote the image in 2:45 mins. Great!

Excellent work, slashack! :DNow if the driver would get a speedup boost you would have solved the last big problem I have.

That would really help me too... :)

And does anyone know how i can get dvd reading working again?

It was working with the test Apple nForce but not with this kext?

Thnx! :D

Thank you very much for your interest. Sorry for the delay of my reply, but I've been out for awhile.

Here is a screen on my panic. Please let me know what you think.

It seems to be an issue with the ammount of ram u have, but it's the kernel who is having issues. The kext u need is JMicronATA. Try the last version (from googlecode). In the second line of the kp log (it's the last part of the first line) shows that the getPhysicalSegment() call that is failing, is being made from IOMemoryDescriptor.cpp at line 1473. JMicronATA is shown in the backtrace, but when i had issues with this driver, the getPhysicalSegment() failing call was made from JMicronATAChannel.cpp, not the kernel.

I'm kind of busy right now, but as soon as i get some free time, i'll try to get involved with this issue. If u manage to get some more info, just tell me.

Can someone help me?

I have a Gigabyte X38-DQ6..

I don't know what kext should i use..

slashack

here's dump.txt

i used finder and found some references to JmicronATA in that file..

can you tell me what kext should i use?

thanks

You are right. JMicronATA.kext is the one for you.

That would really help me too... :)

And does anyone know how i can get dvd reading working again?

It was working with the test Apple nForce but not with this kext?

Thnx! :)

Do you mean the AppleNForceATA kext that fixed some issues with some DVD drives and is somewhere in this forum? Found it: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77071

It's from MeDevil.

I posted in his thread, but got no answer. I need the source code to fix that kext, or fix my kext to solve your issue. The bad news is that i don't even know whats the problem and i don't have such hw, so the only thing i can do right now is to wait for the source (or for some god to start sending money to buy that hw).

I'll keep waiting...

Excellent work, slashack! :yoji: Now if the driver would get a speedup boost you would have solved the last big problem I have.

About the boost, what's the problem u are having? is it too slow? Keep in mind that this drivers are for ATA drives (they are pretty slow) and were made for some Tiger version. I didn't re wroted them, just used some IOKit api to make 64 bit DMA.

But if u think it's a bug, or an issue that can be solved, just tell me more.

You are right. JMicronATA.kext is the one for you.

Yes, it is  :)

Works great 

Now thanks to your job and efforts i can say that my hackintosh is perfect..

before this i wasn't able to install photoshop i had kernel panics all the time, when i connected my ipod i wasn't detected until i reboot the pc, i wasn't able to install office 2007 in virtual machine, and i was getting kernel panics 30 in 30 minutes.

All that i can say is:

YOU ROCK  :)

P.S. I'm tired of try to edit my signature and update my hackinfo but i change it on settings but it remains the same, somebody knows why?  :yoji:

It seems to be an issue with the ammount of ram u have, but it's the kernel who is having issues. The kext u need is JMicronATA. Try the last version (from googlecode). In the second line of the kp log (it's the last part of the first line) shows that the getPhysicalSegment() call that is failing, is being made from IOMemoryDescriptor.cpp at line 1473. JMicronATA is shown in the backtrace, but when i had issues with this driver, the getPhysicalSegment() failing call was made from JMicronATAChannel.cpp, not the kernel.

I'm kind of busy right now, but as soon as i get some free time, i'll try to get involved with this issue. If u manage to get some more info, just tell me.

Slashack, how can it be the kernel, if I am using the Vanilla one? Isn't it very strange? I have already downloaded (and used) the last version of your JMicronATA from GoogleCode. I keep having the same results. Could it be something changeable from the BIOS?

working on laptop ASUS F5SL, controller SiS 968, detailed description here

hanging happened right away 4Gb of memory was installed. (when skype started dumping some huge amount of data into the disk).

new Kext from this topic allow skype to keep dumping (not yet discovered to where and what exactly) but keep working.

very good job, thanks a lot, I'll keep informing if something

link to this driver fix added to wiki.osx86project.org site.

2 things are missing yet:

- version number has to be different from current one (iDeneb deliver AppleVIAATA.kext version 1.0.2, so current has to be at least 1.0.3)

- list of supported PCIID's were not saved in current download kext

following list is here:

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>8237 SATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x43851002 0x43801002 0x43791002 0x43761002 0x528810b9 0x31491106 0x35121095 0x2360197b 0x2361197b 0x2363197b 0x2365197b 0x2366197b 0x28258086 0x28208086 0x522910b9 0x528910b9 0x05911106 0x55131039 0x43721002 0x528810b9 0x437a1002 0x43821002 0x437a1002 0x21821019 0x43801019 0x43901002 0x43911002 0x43951002 0x436e1002 0x43941002 0x01801039 0x01821039 0x11831039 0x01831039 0x036e10de 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x005510de 0x00ee10de</string>

Hey Slashack, I have solved my problem! :D THANK YOU.

Apparently, it was not working because I was making a terribly stupid mistake. I was loading JMicron in a wrong way.

At the moment, I am loading your version from the EFI partition. I have modified the strings, in order to load only the IOPCIPrimaryMatch I need (0x2368197b). The others were creating conflicts.

I noticed the bin file is different from the one of Leopard. Is it from Tiger?

Is there a way to use the bin from Leopard, so that I can load only the plist file from the EFI partition?

Please let me know.

working on laptop ASUS F5SL, controller SiS 968, detailed description here

hanging happened right away 4Gb of memory was installed. (when skype started dumping some huge amount of data into the disk).

new Kext from this topic allow skype to keep dumping (not yet discovered to where and what exactly) but keep working.

very good job, thanks a lot, I'll keep informing if something

link to this driver fix added to wiki.osx86project.org site.

2 things are missing yet:

- version number has to be different from current one (iDeneb deliver AppleVIAATA.kext version 1.0.2, so current has to be at least 1.0.3)

- list of supported PCIID's were not saved in current download kext

following list is here:

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>8237 SATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x43851002 0x43801002 0x43791002 0x43761002 0x528810b9 0x31491106 0x35121095 0x2360197b 0x2361197b 0x2363197b 0x2365197b 0x2366197b 0x28258086 0x28208086 0x522910b9 0x528910b9 0x05911106 0x55131039 0x43721002 0x528810b9 0x437a1002 0x43821002 0x437a1002 0x21821019 0x43801019 0x43901002 0x43911002 0x43951002 0x436e1002 0x43941002 0x01801039 0x01821039 0x11831039 0x01831039 0x036e10de 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x005510de 0x00ee10de</string>

Concerning the missing things:

1- I'll change the version number, but i didn't do that before cause i though it wouldn't be so used. It seems i wasn't the only one with this issue.

2- The same as above, i only kept my PCIID, as it was only my problem. I'll change that and upload a new version.

Hey Slashack, I have solved my problem! ;) THANK YOU.

Apparently, it was not working because I was making a terribly stupid mistake. I was loading JMicron in a wrong way.

At the moment, I am loading your version from the EFI partition. I have modified the strings, in order to load only the IOPCIPrimaryMatch I need (0x2368197b). The others were creating conflicts.

I noticed the bin file is different from the one of Leopard. Is it from Tiger?

Is there a way to use the bin from Leopard, so that I can load only the plist file from the EFI partition?

Please let me know.

The bin is different because the driver is different. It's not a plist modification, indeed, the plist is the same from Tiger (this driver was made for tiger and never modified). I've modified the source code of this driver, so you'll have to use it as it is. And i really don't think apple is selling macs with IDE drives any more, or at least i expect so!

Hi slashack, thanks for your work B)

I'm having kernel panics with your appleNforceAta :D. I didnt use the kexts but instead downloaded the source code and compiled with "forced 80pin cable detection" (unfortunately the standard nfroceAta doesnt detect it and gives me udma 2 instead of 6 so I had to correct some portions of the code. It worked for me well with meDevils driver but now when i added another 2Gb of Ram both yours and his versions give me kernel panics).

Does the source code from code.google differ from the kexts that you've posted?

here is my dump and screenshot.

post-135119-1228500386_thumb.jpg

dump.txt

Hi slashack, thanks for your work :(

I'm having kernel panics with your appleNforceAta :(. I didnt use the kexts but instead downloaded the source code and compiled with "forced 80pin cable detection" (unfortunately the standard nfroceAta doesnt detect it and gives me udma 2 instead of 6 so I had to correct some portions of the code. It worked for me well with meDevils driver but now when i added another 2Gb of Ram both yours and his versions give me kernel panics).

Does the source code from code.google differ from the kexts that you've posted?

here is my dump and screenshot.

post-135119-1228500386_thumb.jpg

dump.txt

You are having the same issue B612 had. Look in the picture, the panic is made from inside the kernel's iokit and not from the kext. Ask him the solution.

In my case, the solution was substituting my "new" leopard JMicronATA with the "old" one, modded from Tiger.

I have a problem, though (this is for you, slashack): after awhile I have stopped using a drive, it "goes to sleep", i.e. I cannot wake it up, it even freezes the programs which try to open it and eventually even the finder.

Is there a way to solve this problem?

I remember in the case of Tiger, in "SystemPreferences/Energy" there was something to choose not to make the CD drives go to sleep, but in Leopard there is nothing similar.

Any idea?!?

@ slashack:

could you create a version with less text output? I have f.e. four harddisks and a DVD drive and the whole screen is full of nForceATA entries. Just now it stopped booting and I didn't why - until I saw a very little line 'kernel panic' nearly at the bottom. But even after it were already nForceATA outputs. Could you change seperate outputs in only one line? In the most cases nobody can read the whole stuff either because it scrolls too fast (except you're booting from an USB stick ;-)

Could there be ANY way to speed up SATA? My HD's are detected as UDMA 0xc6 (I presume it's UDMA6) and they are still so slow? What could be the reason for the low speed ?