Direct X for MacOSX

delux_www

61 posts in this topic

are the people in this thread joking? or seriously ignorant. i cant tell.

I tend to add up the postcount of the people posting & factor in their join dates to get a quick litmus-test of whether they're totally lamebrained, kidding, or just plain ignorant.

• 7 months later...

look, just to make things clear. microsoft directX is as the name says: microsoft, so i won't be supported in osx. forget about it. only version 8 or maybe 9 is supported(barely) in parallels desktop. on mac games you have to have games compiled for mac, no game made for windows will work on mac just because it supports opengl. you can, however run simple games such as counter strike 1.6 which i use through crossover games. on my hack it runs 99frames all the time and the grapchics are really good. the problem you encuntered is because crossover support for high resolution in CS is crappy. try changing it to 800x600 and 16bit colour.

take care and read some wiki bout mac osx;)

• 1 month later...

I use VMWare and get better performance than with Parallel's or CrossOver. Even then, I boot Windows when I'm going to play any serious games.

There's also this thing called Cider. It's a DirectX translation tool that a lot of big software houses use for porting their games to Mac. But it sucks - performance isn't much better than CrossOver.

Cider isn't a Directx translation tool as such it is simply another port of Wine, like CrossOver is. It is merely set up to have both the Wine code and the largely unaltered Windows game in the same app folder to appear as a single complete package the way a native app would look.

• 2 weeks later...
I want to play Windows games on MacOS without problems such as crashes.

hahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahhaa

this is thebiggest joke i have ever hear LOL..

really im not joking ... LOL

no offense man...LOL

This is damn good joke...LOL

• 3 weeks later...

ummm wtf kind of a question is this i mean this must be the most {censored}ed up and most hilarious question ever

directx on mac omfgbbq

DIRECTX ON UNIX all together

no no no no

Linux is the best! :)

u dnt use it and i dnt think you ever will

YouTrollHardYouShartHard

umm DX for mac? macs are openGL aren't they? I didn't know you could get DX in any form working on a mac, and how're you getting viruses on a mac?

you really dont know a thing about unix/like do you ?

wine? no opengl support for wine on MacOS

I think EA would beg to differ with you on that ^^

Sims 3 actually runs a Win32 binary off Wine with [fairly] full OpenGL support

Lags like theres no 2morro but it works and you can plow through a game if you have a processor to handle it all.

Actually Wine also seems to support DirectX because I found DirectX .dll's in the Sims 3 App meaning that Wine will probably support it as long as it is set up properly with all the necessary files included

• 1 month later...
Can you give me link to download Direct X for MacOS (without viruses :D ) about I want to run M$ games without crashes.

Thanks!

this isnt for real is it..... ????? you must have a pc that some iso off tor****s supports out of the box

just to let you know dude apple and Microsoft are rivals... gaming plays a big part in the sales of ms products...... there NEVER gonna license direct x to apple... it will take a BIG ASS lawsuit to get them to do it

wow 1st post and ive been a member for a wile....!!!! ;)

Hey..

Yes you can run DirectX 9 and 10 inside mac and play games..

I have MackBook Pro 2.5Ghz 500MG of video card and Vmware with a windows XP installed as a guest..

I can play Winning Eleven 2009 perfectly in mac but not with highest graphic level.

I also did the same thing with my old hackintosh..

I played windows games inside mac using Vmware fusion 2 and parallels 3 and 4..

-----------

You can Run directx inside mac by using windows as a guest or crossover.

• 1 month later...
or games on mac:

native mac games? usually cant play online vs windows players and they are released later and all that...

Cod4 can. :D That's one of the only ones I know of though.

But I wouldn't reccomend crossover. Crossover only has 9.0 support, basically only shader 2.0. Most games if not all recently released games require shader 3.0.

• 4 months later...

Yeah Yeah, we all want games working for Mac as it's the ultimate platform for cheating.

Unfortunatly DirectX is a proprietary package from Microsoft, and you are not gonna see it Mac, thats for sure! As for the rest it's nice when you have a POSIX compliant system running a strong ruleset of security devices that don't allow most anti-cheats to work, to mention one of the most famous: WARDEN from Blizzard (12 Million players worldwide).

You should probably make a petition to Valve to make a OS X compatible package of CS and Steam, as you would have more chances of success than having Microsoft porting DirectX.

And if you take a look at Microsoft, you will notice most of their software is old and not updated requiring rosetta for emulation of the PPC arch, which clearly points Microsoft position towards mac.

You probably should be running a linux bastardization for that purpose (playing), like Ubuntu or something like that.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

haha, I'm not sure whether the beginning of this thread is sarcastic or hopelessly ignorant.

Unfortunatly DirectX is a proprietary package from Microsoft, and you are not gonna see it Mac, thats for sure! As for the rest it's nice when you have a POSIX compliant system running a strong ruleset of security devices that don't allow most anti-cheats to work, to mention one of the most famous: WARDEN from Blizzard (12 Million players worldwide).

Well... not officially, but it's not the first time the functionality of proprietary software has been rewritten to act exactly the same and then released as open source... ever heard of unix... lol

You've probably heard of WINE (the win-32 library compatibility layer that's been kicking around on linux and BSD for decades), and it's relatively recent porting to OS X, aka crossover in user friendly form... this contains a DX9 compatible substitute library... that effectively is a standalone DX9 graphics library for OS X, BSD, Linux and any other POSIX OS you care to compile it for... since software utilizing DX is only written for windows there's no point in using it outside of WINE.

You should probably make a petition to Valve to make a OS X compatible package of CS and Steam, as you would have more chances of success than having Microsoft porting DirectX.

And indeed they did... while they haven't exactly turned to OpenGL natively, they decided to stick with the result of all their previous efforts to create an engine which uses DX (sensible from the business side of things i guess), this means they also get to keep a single development path for their graphics engine. Instead they wrote a DX to GL layer, this is basically what the WINE DX library does, as all of the OS it runs on use GL. So basically the core engine is the same (but compiled for OS X of course) with the addition of this module that receives all the DX calls and converts them to GL, and it's bloody efficient at it too.

What would be good is if Valve licensed this module so that other windows game devs could release their games on any and all of the platforms supporting OpenGL.

• 2 months later...

Uh, they ported the source engine and steam to mac like.... 6 months ago. Its based on a OpenGL implementation of the source engine, so everything source works for mac. It really p*ssed me off as they turned around and tried to mac-ify everything, completely ruining the GUI of some of my favorite games. (TF2 I'm looking at you)

Right now its still much slower and buggier than windows but if your mac religious and dont recognise that gaming is the main reason to keep Windows around, be my guest!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...