[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

Followed this down to every word, and it didn't work for me. When I got to Step 11 is it? The drive wouldn't boot, it would just have the _ blinking over and over.

What can I do? I think maybe the boot loader didn't get installed correctly or something? I don't know but now how can I fix it if I can't get in my Leopard install?

Yes, it does look like the bootloader didn't get installed correctly. The eassiest way for me was to just run the installer and point it to the usb key. Hit install and you're done with the bootloader part.

Do you have a friend with a mac? You could try one of the boot cds from superhai or a SL compatiable boot 132 loader to get your usb to boot and then continue with brett's install....

Or just install leopard quickly, make the changes, and then return to usb install. It might eat away a couple of hours but you'll get to ur end result.

Can I run the boot-132 loader on a separate USB drive? I already wasted one disc before on the boot-loader the OP linked in the first post, and it didn't work so I don't want to risk making another coaster.

I also managed to get Leopard back, and re-did all the steps and this time it ALMOST boots, but hangs on a file.. can't recall which one it is atm. Is there anyway for me to check which build number my SL is, or does it not matter?

Thanks.

Bump for some replies.

Copy the retail install disc to usb via disc utility. Install chameleon 2 rc4; point it to the usb. This makes the usb bootable. Now you have to setup dsdt and add/remove kext so you can proceed with the install. Here is the way I got it working:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1287474

It's a rough guide... might have an error or two.

Dual Boot Part:

Partition with a bootable (10.5x) dvd. The partitions should be GUID. If you really want MBR, you can install Snow Leopard FIRST on GUID then restore the data to a clean/reformatted MBR partition.

After the restore, install chameleon again so that the partition will boot. You should set the SL partiton as "active" if you want it to be the default boot partition.

m1530 Snow Leopard Part:

1) Restore vanilla dmg to a usb thumb drive or hd. The thumb drive or hd partition should be guid.

2) Download files from this post.

3) Open Terminal, do sudo -s, put in your pass. navigate to

type: "./<path>/snow_installer-m1530/installnow.sh"

Go thru the installer steps. After the installer is done, replace the DSDT with the one in m1530_generic_dsdt folder. This dsdt DOES NOT have SpeedStep which is processor specific. It doesn't have audio or video/graphics injects. It is the bare

minimum dsdt for m1530.

4) Copy Snow_Installer-m1530 to restore location. I put mine in "Optional Installs" folder. Remember!: DO NOT RESTART COMPUTER AFTER SL INSTALL IS COMPLETE.

5) Edit com.apple.boot.plist, the resolution should be the resolution of your screen. The one in this plist is mine.

6) Restart computer, select options which allow you to boot from usb during start.

7) You should be in 10.6 install now.

8) Partition/allocate your hd space in GUID

9) Install SL to the partition of your choice

10) After the install is complete, DO NOT RESTART. Go to terminal from the menubar. no sudo required. do "./Volumes/<name of usb>/Optional \ Installs/snow_installer-m1530/installnow.sh"

Go thru the installer steps.

11) In terminal do

cd /

cd /Volumes/<name of newly created sl partiton>Extra/

rm -RF dsdt.aml

11) Do "cp /Volumes/<name of usb>Optional \ Installs/snow_installer-m1530/m1530_generic_dsdt/dsdt.aml /Extra/

12) In terminal again:

cd /

cd /Volumes/<name of newly created sl partiton>/System/Library/Extensions/

rm -RF /IOATAFamily.kext so that you won't get a kernel panic during boot.

13) Reboot

14) Run kext utility to make caches (faster startup)

15) Reboot, Run in verbose mode and see if you see errors.

Fix your ethernet mac and add your wifi on IO80211.kext plist if needed (I have 1395 so I had to add the id into the plist)

If you want to continue using the generic m1530, then you should try the Native SpeedStep kext (install in /Extra/Extensions then run kext utility again)

if you continue using generic m1530 then you should also using graphics enabler option in com.apple.boot.plist

If you use NativeSpeedStep then you won't need nullcpu kext. The same goes if you have a modded dsdt with speedstep inject, remove nullcpu kext.

I hope this helps.

PS: none of the files are my creation. i edited them to my liking...

Okay, so I've been trying to get SL to install on my XPS 1530 for about 3 weeks, but I still cant get it to work. . . I have a T9300 2.5 ghz and an 8600GT and i tried Brett's installation, but as soon as SL tries installing and it shows me the progress bar, the computer hangs and the screen goes dark and i see something like this.

106227_3.jpg

Now i tried this guide and i was able (with Brett's DSDT) to get the installer to around 95%, but then it says the installation failed because SL couldn't restart to that hard drive, or something like that. I am a n00b, but I've tried keeping my mouth shut for now and tried getting it to work on my own, but i'm really stuck now!!!

any ideas??

Okay, so I've been trying to get SL to install on my XPS 1530 for about 3 weeks, but I still cant get it to work. . . I have a T9300 2.5 ghz and an 8600GT and i tried Brett's installation, but as soon as SL tries installing and it shows me the progress bar, the computer hangs and the screen goes dark and i see something like this.

106227_3.jpg

Now i tried this guide and i was able (with Brett's DSDT) to get the installer to around 95%, but then it says the installation failed because SL couldn't restart to that hard drive, or something like that. I am a n00b, but I've tried keeping my mouth shut for now and tried getting it to work on my own, but i'm really stuck now!!!

any ideas??

This picture isn't good enuf. Boot with -v and then take a picture. I'm guessing you haven't deleted IOATAFamily.kext.

Hi all, i tried to follow Brett's walkthrough on how to install SL on m1530 laptops but i can't get past the 11th step. I restart the laptop and then it evetually gets to a screen with an error about holding down the power button etc.

I never get to a bootloader screen where i can type -s and the other commands. Am i doing something wrong?

Another thing, do i remove the the IOATAFamily.kext from the USB thumb drive or from the currently running osx drive?

Hi all, i tried to follow Brett's walkthrough on how to install SL on m1530 laptops but i can't get past the 11th step. I restart the laptop and then it evetually gets to a screen with an error about holding down the power button etc.

I never get to a bootloader screen where i can type -s and the other commands. Am i doing something wrong?

boot with -v

take a picture of the info on-screen.

Another thing, do i remove the the IOATAFamily.kext from the USB thumb drive or from the currently running osx drive?

You remove them from both the thumb drive and the partition where you installed it... even if you delete it from the usb, a copy will be in the extnsion cache (pretty sure). so load the usb again, go to terminal via installer and delete IOATAFamily from /Volumes/SL_PARTITION_NAME/System/Library/Extensions.

use rm -rf IOATAFamily.kext/

Hi, i'm new to this so could you please explain what you mean by this and how to do this?

Thanks!

when booting and there is a countdown... hit tab then type in -v

Hi donkey,

I'm going try your walkthough to see if that works. I just have one question though, in the installer steps, i'm assuming i have to point it to the USB stick which has the vanilla snow leopard install files, right?

Yes, choose your USB as the install location. It will make it bootable. Also, if you follow my directions, be sure to download the zipped folder(s) from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184875

After school is over, I might make a comprehensive guide (as much as I know :)

Hi all,

This is what happens when i follow Brett's guide:

Here is a screen capture of what happens just before it goes to the screen with the cameleon at the top and the timer bar in the middle. After this it is basically halts and i'm told to restart or shut down my computer. I don't get to a 5 second timer where i can type -s and the rest of the instructions.

My laptop has a 2.0/2.1 GHz CPU, and not the 2.5GHz that everyone else seems to have. Could this be the cause of the problem? I'm still a bit unsure on the deleting of IOATAFamily.kext, i think i may have done a stupid mistake of deleting it from my working version of leopard and so i'm getting this no CD error.

slprob1.jpg

Thanks!

Is that with an 8600M/8400M? If so, once Speedstep via DSDT works our laptops will be fully MBP comparable under Leopard and SL!

I thought you knew that speedstep works with DSDT now. C states do not, but p states definitely do. We still have the shutdown not working, at least I don't have it working... did you find a solution somewhere....??

I thought you knew that speedstep works with DSDT now. C states do not, but p states definitely do. We still have the shutdown not working, at least I don't have it working... did you find a solution somewhere....??

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=0&start=0

Worked for me under 10.6.0. need to upgrade to 10.6.1 and try tomorrow, but my Hard Disk and WiFi card w/ OS X are currently at a friends house. It's not shutdown, but restart is 9/10 of the way there, and hopefully Master Chief will expand the kext to completely replace OpenHaltRestart.kext

As far as SpeedStep goes, P-States are pretty useless without C-States, most of the power savings come from there.

Been there seen that.... but I have almost no use for restart... so Ill wait for the shutdown solution.

Also, go ahead and do the 10.6.2 combo update. If you have 10.6 working, 10.6.2 should work. No replacement of IOATA (if you are using a modded one, or IONetworkingFamily). Just remember the AppleHDA if your adio device is defined as HDEF.

For those who want it, I have updated my audio post to include an almost fully working VoodooHDA.kext for M1530. If anyone would like to submit one for the M1330, you are more than welcome. Look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1010970

Hi all,

This is what happens when i follow Brett's guide:

Here is a screen capture of what happens just before it goes to the screen with the cameleon at the top and the timer bar in the middle. After this it is basically halts and i'm told to restart or shut down my computer. I don't get to a 5 second timer where i can type -s and the rest of the instructions.

My laptop has a 2.0/2.1 GHz CPU, and not the 2.5GHz that everyone else seems to have. Could this be the cause of the problem? I'm still a bit unsure on the deleting of IOATAFamily.kext, i think i may have done a stupid mistake of deleting it from my working version of leopard and so i'm getting this no CD error.

slprob1.jpg

Thanks!

This is part of the boot process of chameleon / pcefi to detect optical drives. When you get the timer in the middle and chameleon on top, hit TAB on the keyboard. You with get a terminal type of prompt, type in -v and hit enter. It will spit out some lines of info, when it stops, take a picture and post it here...

Here's a screenshot of my /Extra folder where all i put all my kexts for installing SL. These are the only kexts i have, apart from the ones already on the install USB ( minus the IOATAFamily.kext)

kexts.tiff

Is it possible that you deleted the wrong kext when you were trying to delete IOATAFamily.kext? I haven't come across this error in the past..

Is it possible that you deleted the wrong kext when you were trying to delete IOATAFamily.kext? I haven't come across this error in the past..

No, I'm almost certain i deleted the correct kext. I deleted it from the S/L/E in my USB. I also deleted it from S/L/E from my newly installed SL partition. I was finally able to get SL to install (it took a looooooong time, about 1.5 hours) but now i keep getting the same KP after using it for about 25 sec.

post-510660-1259186570_thumb.jpg

ok, i'm finally getting somewhere. Thanks to the -v i was able to determine that i hadn't deleted the IOATAFamily.kext from the usb partition. Now, i'm stuck on something else. This might be because i've installed a new hard drive (The one that came with my m1530 is full and i can't afford to loose any data from it). Here is the screenshot with the error while on the first 1-2% of installation:

post-531368-1259194869_thumb.jpg

Any idea how to get past this error?

Thanks again!

No, I'm almost certain i deleted the correct kext. I deleted it from the S/L/E in my USB. I also deleted it from S/L/E from my newly installed SL partition. I was finally able to get SL to install (it took a looooooong time, about 1.5 hours) but now i keep getting the same KP after using it for about 25 sec.

post-510660-1259186570_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure it has to do with cmos reset, you can use a patched dsdt, with a cmos reset fix and it will get you past this error.