Leopard on a dell studio 15 and 17

pifou

489 posts in this topic

I hope so man. And a working fix for the N wifi card. I actually just recently traded an aging (2 year) Blackbook for an this Dell Studio. It's a great machine, but I just don't really like Windows be it Vista or XP, and Linux is too much of a bother. I can't wait until everything is working, this thing will make an awesome hackbook, and I'll be able to stop worrying about random data corruption and constant restarts that seem to accompany using Vista.

yeah, i have been loking all over the net and this forum , but it looks like ati mobility drivers at far and few inbetween, well atleast the 2xxx and 3xxx series. The studio would be a really good semi-hackbookpro or even on point as a hackbookpro. I am looking at the folowing specs. The desktop version HD 3650 works - i can't think it to be that much different. but then again ..i know nothing...he he

c2d t9300 Studio 1735 : Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz,800GHz,6MB)

Display : 17in Widescreen WXGA+ with Truelife - LED

2.0 mega pixel Camera - LED

Memory Dual Channel 4.0GB (2x2048) 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Hard Drive : 640GB Serial ATA (5.400RPM) Dual Hard Drive (2x 320GB) -----> dual boot/tripple boot/quad boot - lots of space or data- didicated drives to OS...who knows...

Optical Drive : Blu-ray Disc (DVD+/-RW + BD-ROM) Drive including SW

Battery : Primary 9 cell 85W/HR LI-ION

Graphics: 256 MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3650

Wireless : Dell Wireless 1510 (802.11n) Half Mini Card European

Wireless Label (Dell Wireless Cards)- Core 2 Duo ????- i dont know what it is, is it a label/sticker????

Wireless : Dell Bluetooth 370 Card Europe

Keyboard : Internal UK English Qwerty Keyboard (will replace with backlight- might as well)

id like to be able to install OSX and have it running well. So far it seems the main obstacle will be the Mobility 3650. I haven't read anywhere , that anybody has it working properly. I am also concerned about HDMi?...i think i read somewhere that it worked out of Box...but i'm not sure. Everything else is not that much an issue. I am not technical at all...i read and follow well, and simply replicate- but i hope to get thedell studio, then i will let you know what i have tried and what works. I wish some skillfull and knowledgeable people would help with ATI mobility. But in anycase, i am greatfull for anything we have going by them for us, after all its their time, effort and money that makes any of this happen.

so thanks everyone here and otherwise who give us a chance to try different stuff they have figured out.

Hey guys, first of all: Sorry for my English :thumbsup_anim:

I have got a Studio15 (1535) as well and the b/g card. I read that I need to install McSmart's Wifipatch to get Wifi. First I tried the full recent release, but i didn't see the card. Then I tried the 0.5.1pre and everytime i boot i get the screen "reset your mac", but if i boot in safe mode i can boot normally.

So two questions:

What do I have to do to make normal booting possible again?

How do I get Wifi to work?

thanks a lot!

I wanted to share my experience installing Leopard on my Dell Studio 1535 (pretty much the standard configuration people have been posting: T5750 Core 2 Duo 2.0 ghz processor, 2 gigs ram PC5300 (667MHZ/DDR2), Intel HDMI audio, Broadcom Wireless, Intel G965 chipset, card reader, etc).

Here were my experiences:

- Had to use the CPUS=1 flag in order for Leopard to install (using leo4allv3) press a button immediately when you see the spinning cursor (when the install disc starts up), then press F8, type "CPUS=1" then enter to proceed

- Selected the vanilla 9.2.2 kernel, Intel ICHx chipset, x3100 graphics driver, no audio, no network, no printer drivers, removed firewire option, SMBIOS for MacBook, selected Laptop power management

- After finishing the install, the first reboot into the new install gave me a blank screen (didn't know how to deal with the black screen). Finally figured it out after looking at some other threads. Here's a good outline of what you need to do in order to overcome the black screen issue: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=79526 (I'm a newbie, I didn't know! :D ).

- Finally after figuring out the black screen issue, I noticed that my first time configuration kept repeating and repeating (the part after that welcome video starts up). It kept repeating and repeating forever, so I did some more research and found this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry640178

(it bypasses the new user creation step and you have to create your own user and such).

- After figuring out the black screen and user creation step, I noticed that my laptop keyboard wasn't being recognized. It kept asking me to press the key to the right of my left shift button. However, when I pressed the key, nothing happened. I had to plug in an external USB keyboard and reboot so that it wouldn't ask to detect my keyboard. When I finally logged in and created a new user, I went to the keyboard/mouse preference in the System Preferences area. I unplugged my external usb keyboard and pressed the "Detect keyboard" button. It asked me to press the key immediately to the right of my left shift button. I did (which is "z" for my keyboard). It said that it couldn't recognize this keyboard. I clicked on the continue button. I selected the bottom button (ANSI keyboard). Then it was done. From then on, it stopped trying to identify my laptop keyboard everytime I rebooted (and the laptop keyboard worked).

- Okay, let's see... okay so I got my keyboard working, and I wanted to fix that sleep issue. I downloaded the app and followed the steps from the following thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117443 It worked quite well. I still use autologin because I don't have anything special on my laptop.

- Oh I used the script to load my wifi driver, and it worked (even without a reboot). See thread located in prior messages. It did however require some tweaking of the airport settings. I had to manually assign an IP while using DHCP. It might have been because I bypassed the user creation step. In any case, airport worked fine without a reboot.

That's about it so far. I don't have sound or the ethernet working yet. I haven't found a driver that supports either yet. If I find anything, I'll definitely post it up. Otherwise, good luck! Oh, and I don't have dual boot working just quite yet. The windows xp partition is there but won't cooperate :D.

That is good you most of it working, not sure if you saw the video card or not working but there is a file out for it now. Personally I haven't tried to install on my studio b/c of internet.

What card exactly did ou get working? Is it the B/G/N card?

That is good you most of it working, not sure if you saw the video card or not working but there is a file out for it now. Personally I haven't tried to install on my studio b/c of internet.

What card exactly did ou get working? Is it the B/G/N card?

What is the file you speak of for video? Is this for the HD3450? If so, where can I find the file?

Alright so I still have an itch to install OSX but I dont want to lose my vista install because as you all may know, we no longer receive re-install DVDs with our systems. I have an 80gb external usb drive I am more than willing to install to but I am also willing to format my internal hard drive if I have a way of bringing my vista back if something goes wrong.

If people can help me backup vista or provide tips on installing to an external hard drive, I will do a full install on my Studio with pictures, guide, and everything.

My specs are that I have the T8100 Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 320gb Hd... and for what people care more about: The X3100, Bluetooth 370, and Dell 1397 WiFi, and the IDT HD Audio.

Like I said, I am offering to make a step-by-step guide if somebody will guide me through safe-guarding my vista

I tried to install iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 and ran into that black screen problem. On Kalyway I just went into single-user mode and typed /movevideodrivers. How do I install iDeneb and get past the black screen? I know there are ways to do it, for instance, the sleep trick referenced a few posts earlier...but that tutorial linked by azulpalido was somewhat confusing. How do I do that upon booting up OS X for the first time? What's so special about 11 minutes and 20 seconds, will the screen magically come on then?

Thanks for the help and answers!

Also: good news if you haven't heard. Sound now works! Check out http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132495 and see for yourself! Good luck! And check out http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=107526 this topic if you want ATI graphics card drivers. 3650 HD seems to work and if you have a 3450 you might want to check out the last few pages -- some people have been able to change resolution!

Comprasher86: I'm pretty sure it's possible to make recovery DVDs of your specific Vista system. You can google it if you need to. I don't know the specific function of the backup DVDs but I would assume that it allows you to restore your Vista install in some way.

on the studio, there is a partition with that in it... I tried it for the heck of it and worked good. Just put in the dell disk and it's an option to restore from dell image. (it's the last one on the paage). Just don't format that partition!!! or save it to an external drive.