Will you still buy the real deal?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you still buy Macs? (194 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use OSX86 as a primary PC?

1. Yes (124 votes [63.92%])

Percentage of vote: 63.92%

2. No (70 votes [36.08%])

Percentage of vote: 36.08%

Would you buy a real Macintosh over a Hackintosh?

1. Yes (138 votes [71.13%])

Percentage of vote: 71.13%

2. No (56 votes [28.87%])

Percentage of vote: 28.87%

If you would buy the real thing, would you still use a Hackintosh?

1. Yes (111 votes [57.22%])

Percentage of vote: 57.22%

2. No (48 votes [24.74%])

Percentage of vote: 24.74%

3. N/A (35 votes [18.04%])

Percentage of vote: 18.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

fatshitcat

fatshitcat

fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
I'm going to buy a MacBook Pro when I'm going to university. Apple really makes the best laptops around.

aduffbrew

aduffbrew

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
I installed "dead moo" 10.4 on a P4 dinosaur back in the earliest days of OSx86. As crappy as the experience was, it actually was better than Windows XP. I made the switch and got me a Mac. I soon realized I wasn't really the PC tinkerer I always thought I was. I'd much rather have things just work. A computer should be an appliance... not a lifestyle. What some would call "boutique," I now call a necessity! Currently, Apple offers the most worry-free experience, hands down.

As far as Apple's hardware being overpriced, it depends on how you look at it. When I factor in the cost of software, upgrades, and time spent "fixing" the OS, for me, it's actually cheaper in the long run than other Windows based machines. But that's me. I'm sure gamers will have a different opinion.

For those who enjoy all the tinkering OSx86 requires, that's fine too. No doubt, you're learning quite a bit in the process. I actually put myself through college as a PC technician so I do understand the allure. And I still think the OSx86 project has done Apple a huge service by introducing the rest of us to their product.

I am no Mac-Head zealot. Apple's day of reckoning is coming. No one stays on top forever. In the meantime, Apple's star is still rising and I wish them the best of luck.

~A dedicated Mac owner... until something better comes along. :D

BlackCH

BlackCH

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts
I would love to buy a macbook pro if I ever have the money for it....

Shadow_2k

Shadow_2k

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 128 posts
voted, but I definitly miss the options "Do you own a Mac" and "Did you own a Mac before you installed OSX on your PC".

gizmoarena

gizmoarena

OS X fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
After getting a decent job I'll definitely get a macbook pro and an imac.
Existing hackintosh PC and notebook will definitely be replaced by the macs.

durkadurka

durkadurka

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
My new quad core hack pro was built specifically for the efi-x and it runs amazing.

I have a macbook pro but this new efi-x hack pro is my primary home machine.

Quad core, 8 gigs ram, sees my esata raid array, video worked OOB (8800gtx) updates install straight from the internet.

I can't ask for more.

exman

exman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Macbook, yes. Desktop such as iMac and Mac Pro's, NO WAY! They are slow and overpriced.

ejket

ejket

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm here because I bought a MacBook in the first place---I wanted a laptop, and there's some Mac-only software I want to use to write a book. I got frustrated when I couldn't put OSX on any of my other 3 boxes. I want desktop redundancy with what I'm doing on the MacBook; it's a matter of simple safety and convenience since laptops can break or get stolen.

But like so many others, I don't like any of the Mac desktop options. The Mac Pro is too expensive and overpowered. The iMac is not flexible enough---I like to run all my boxes under one head with a KVM switch. The Mini is not powerful enough.

If I had money to burn, I might buy a Mac Pro, though the last time I played around configuring one online it came out to $18K... hardly a practical option.

Anyway, I doubt that I'd ever use OSX exclusively---I'm a Linux user of many years. I like to be able to use any software regardless of the platform, and that's why putting together a Hackintosh interests me.

Conroe Mac

Conroe Mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Interests:Beer, fast cars/women, and kicking babies.
I'd rather use the real thing. The thing is that I don't have that kind of loot.

johnlocke2342

johnlocke2342

4 8 15 16 23 42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
Hi.
In fact, I owned a real Mac BEFORE turning my old PC into a Hackintosh.
I needed a laptop for college use, so I bought a PC one, but it never worked with Vista that was pre-installed (I had at least 2 BSODs per day), and I never was able to install another Windows (xp) nor Linux. So I sold it on eBay and bought a MacBook instead. Then, I moved to my own appartment, and my mom told me to take the 3 years-old PC desktop which I turned into an iHack about a month ago. But the only Mac desktop I would buy would be a Mac Mini or a Mac Pro (but I don't have the money for the last one).

xCainex

xCainex

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
The only Apple product I'd shell out money for is OS X because it is worth every penny. A glorious UI, great software support and integration, all on a Unix backbone. OSX86 is running nearly perfect on my ghetto-custom Intel based PC and with PC-EFI and boot132 helping to ensure future compatibility, the difference between a Hac and a Mac is becoming almost null.

TurdFergasun

TurdFergasun

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
should add hackbook vs macbook to the poll, as i wouldn't buy a mac for myself, but if i were in the market for another laptop, i'd be looking at macbooks, at least once they figure out the vid card stuff in 2nd revision.

SJSJ

SJSJ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Macbook, yes. Desktop such as iMac and Mac Pro's, NO WAY! They are slow and overpriced.

Mac Pro SLOW?!

Can I have what you're smoking too?

Bomans

Bomans

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
After using a hackintosh for 1,5 years I bought myself a MacBook pro 15" (june '09 model). Just loving it.
It's woth every penny indeed!

If I could, I would buy a new apple product every month, just to have that wonderfull smell that comes with it!

adamsalac

adamsalac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I actually wanted to buy a MBP,but I bought a XPS M1530 and I'm really happy that I bought that one as it's amazing and really everything works.
Then,I wanted to buy an iMac,but now I'm clever enough and I'm going to buy a Hackintosh.

Sorry Apple,

your prices in good old Europa are NOT human at all!

converted to US dollars : 1 678 USD for a basic iMac!
In Germany it's still about 1550 USD.

And then compare the "real" value of the hardware,ok,I know that the design is better,but paying this huge bunch of money just for design...no way.

The only real Mac I bought is a 350 MHz AGP PowerMac G4 for some crazy experiments...

cain.

cain.

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Hates spotlight.

The only Apple product I'd shell out money for is OS X because it is worth every penny. A glorious UI, great software support and integration, all on a Unix backbone. OSX86 is running nearly perfect on my ghetto-custom Intel based PC and with PC-EFI and boot132 helping to ensure future compatibility, the difference between a Hac and a Mac is becoming almost null.

Yeah right... Business 101 you slept, huh? The price for OS and hardware is directly connected, and the OS is seriously underpriced and you factually pay a one-time fee once you buy it. The low retail prices are just upgrades then.

KrazyDawg

KrazyDawg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Yeah right... Business 101 you slept, huh? The price for OS and hardware is directly connected, and the OS is seriously underpriced and you factually pay a one-time fee once you buy it. The low retail prices are just upgrades then.

Maybe in the old Mac days when they had made their own processors. Apple doesn't own Intel and that makes a big difference when running OS X 10.5x and up. There are plenty of companies that make motherboards and chipsets, so there's nothing unique or special about Apple's hardware in that regard. I'm not the only one that doesn't like proprietary hardware/software. They just limit the selection to avoid compatibility problems, which can be seen as a good thing for business and customer support but at the same time, drives up the cost as a monopoly. Last I checked, Intel SSD drives had problems running on Macs and neither Apple or Intel wanted to address the problem, instead blaming each other. Microsoft isn't any different but at least XP is supported on practically all machines. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about OS X. On the other hand, the OSX86 project is giving publicity and advertising to future buyers.

If price were not an option, than yes the real thing is preferred. Still undecided on using it as a primary machine but it is definitely faster on speed tests, both downstream and upstream.

Is there a Linux distro out there that's as good as OS X?

Swathe

Swathe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Mac Pro SLOW?!

Can I have what you're smoking too?

Bang for buck vs PC hardware to the same value, they are slow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy