1304 replies to this topic

K.I.S.S.

K.I.S.S.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
TallonKrd:

I have a XFX 7600GT 256 and it works oob with the Retail DVD, only without QE/CI and at low resolution.
You must complete the installation and then add the string or NVInject.

titooo

titooo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
So it can't be used for a clean installation from a formatted hard drive???

Another question: How can I know which kexts I should put into the kext folder?

I mean I guess I have to put 2 kexts for the audio (alcinject and applehda), but how can I know if I should add more kexts to the iso?

SticMAC™

SticMAC™

"Nobody likes a SmartASS"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts
Well for one, ALL the kexts you used during your previous installs to get your stuff working, ie controller kext, Audio, video injector etc!
The DSMOS kext should already be in the initrd.img, if not add it for good measure!
If you only loaded the two Audio kexts and the rest worked OTB then you should be fine!

SticMAN

So it can't be used for a clean installation from a formatted hard drive???

Another question: How can I know which kexts I should put into the kext folder?

I mean I guess I have to put 2 kexts for the audio (alcinject and applehda), but how can I knwo if I should add more kexts to the iso?

f41qu3

f41qu3

Insanely Retired Guru

• Retired
  • 458 posts

Wow! Now it works!

Guedes, I only added your initrd.img using WinIso and it works.

My iso, with dsmos.kext added: http://www.4shared.c...ABYL-BUMBY.html

This is not your .iso, this link is from #chameleon room. :) Please, give correct credits.

stellarola

stellarola

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
Confirmed working on DFI Lanparty DK P35-TRS.

I couldn't seem to get HDAEnabler and my AppleHDA.kext loaded though. I had to do that manually.

Reboot seems to hang with added older ACPIPlatform.

Hopefully what we can see in the future:

-Direct boot to first HDD or boot selector without having to type 80

-ability to add device id manifests instead of adding complete older system kexts to boot from (ich8, ich9/r)

-ability to add efi hex strings directly into the systems boot.plist

-ability to boot from usb flash drive

Great work to everyone involved!

Congrats and thanks!!! :)

-Stell

sherlyto

sherlyto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Tested personally... it works perfectly!!! Installing and updates from Apple's auto updater... A landmark in OSX86 History!!!

P.s.: tested on a GA-945GCMX-S2 with E2200 processor, on an Acer Aspire 5920G. Perfect!

NOTICE: Once the system is installed you can put up chameleon 1.0.11 and put dsmos.kext manually in the extensions of the hdd to make it boot without the "magic" CD

How to install chameleon 1.0.11 ? :wacko:
thank you

pharillion

pharillion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
This is great work, thanks to all who have contributed.

I have a core2 quad system currently running 10.5.4 and pc-efiv8 so I have efi strings instead of injectors for graphics and sound. The only way my system differs from that on my real macs is that I have macnub's modified SMBIOS, dsmos.kext, no AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and HDAEnabler.kext.

I hope I'm not going to be reinstalling from my retail Leopard disk any time soon, so I don't have an immediate use for this amazing new boot cd image.

Here's something that strikes me which I would like your thoughts on.

If instead of macnub's SMBIOS I use SMBIOSEnabler.kext from this initrd.img, and if I also have the IntelCPUMdisabler.kext and dsmos.kext in place (all set to root/console loading) then I should be able to add back the latest genuine AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext without any ill effects.

Not only that but if say 10.5.5 comes out and the delta update contains a new AppleSMBIOS and its update script tries to load Dont Steal MacOS X.kext again, then these new kexts with their higher loading priority should be able to deal with both of these situations and allow what would otherwise have been 'dangerous' updates to work via the normal software update mechanism.

Maybe I've misunderstood, but if this is true then this to me is at least as valuable as being able to use the .iso image to boot directly from a retail DVD.

karaakeha1

karaakeha1

Mac Pro Case

• Donators
  • 561 posts
How to install chameleon 1.0.11 ? ;)
thank you

USE chameleon Installer .
checkout my first post ,Link below Sign

What a brilliant work ;)

f41qu3

f41qu3

Insanely Retired Guru

• Retired
  • 458 posts

;) x1000

SticMAN

;)

f41qu3

f41qu3

Insanely Retired Guru

• Retired
  • 458 posts
Guys quick note:

Only possible install Leopard Retail DVD's - "Mac OS X Install DVD"

Restore Discs not allowed.

:(

tokra128

tokra128

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Well, It seem that a nice how to.. will be perfect .. what will happen and what to do, after the os ins installed on hdd ? there are so many questions unanswered !

f41qu3

f41qu3

Insanely Retired Guru

• Retired
  • 458 posts

Well, I managed to boot my modded install dvd from an usb hard disk :D
I just had to try numbers (from 80) in cdboot til the usb hard disk was recognized.

The boot process was ultra-fast, and managed to past the "mac os cannot be installed on this system" message, but as expected I couldn't get any further since it ask me to install in a GUID partition, and the only HD partitioned in guid mode I have is already used by my permanent Tiger Install.

Maybe you had a image from Restore disk. If is a Retail disk, don't appear this message.

tomnic

tomnic

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Well, It seem that a nice how to.. will be perfect .. what will happen and what to do, after the os ins installed on hdd ? there are so many questions unanswered !

You can install Chameleon and put the needed kexts (dsmos.kext and all the stuff u need to make your audio / video / network work in mac os) normally in the /System/Library/Extensions folder. Really simple and nice :D

There is also a release of Chameleon that uses a special folder to hold the kexts that need to be used, leaving your /System/Library/Extensions folder clear as a real mac.

f41qu3

f41qu3

Insanely Retired Guru

• Retired
  • 458 posts
I ask for friends has Retail Leo DVD post back (or send me here or in pm) MD5 numbers for check and comparison.

I'll build a table for check OSX version x MD5 number.

keplenk

keplenk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
This is soooooo cool!! I tried it and it worked like a real mac. :D

1) I grabbed one of my old IDE 40gb hdds from my old pc
2)plugged it in my p35-ds3l
3) removed all of my SATA hdds (just to be safe)
4) turned on pc (AHCI mode) > booted with BOOT-132 > swapped my retail DVD > booted like a charm
5) formatted my IDE hdd to GUID > installed Leopard Retail > Rebooted
6) Inserted the BOOT-132 CD again > typed 80 > and it booted like charm without modifying anything :P

*Everything seemed to be working except sound and my 7600GT video card / Restart doesn't work / Shutdown does (with 10.5.0) / 4 AHCI ports are NOT detected, only 2

Since I'm experimenting, I downloaded the "10.5.4 Combo Update from Apple website (not from software update)" and installed it normally without doing anything. Before, I normally do the netkas method in installing combo updates but this time I decided not to.
... and it Booted normally! I did not delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, I did not edit the /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 .. it just worked! Is that normal?

I checked my /S/L/E and I can see that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagmenent.kext is there .. I also verified that the kext is loaded. I don't get an Kernel Panics or errors .. Now, I'm wondering if I should delete it? Is it dangerous for my CPU?

Off topic: Anyway, I also found out that after updating to 10.5.4, all my 4 AHCI ports worked. I was using the modified kext by cyclonefr before. I did not know that apple fixed it already in 10.5.4. Btw, anybody knows if they are different?

More Noobish Questions:

1) If its not possible to boot from USB ATM .. can the bootable image be placed in a small partition in the hard drive? So that I won't have to boot from the CD all the time?

2) Could it be possible to load the "initrd.img" using Grub? - I don't even know if they or compatible or something lol.

3) tomnic said "There is also a release of Chameleon that uses a special folder to hold the kexts that need to be used, leaving your /System/Library/Extensions folder clear as a real mac."
Pretty neat .. does it mean, chameleon will be like BOOT-132?

Thanks for all the people who made this possible. :P

Chrysaor

Chrysaor

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Is there any chance we can use Apple's Speedstep implementation?

Melon Man

Melon Man

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Absolutely and utterly cool... :) :D :D this just works...

I have made a pretty generic BOOT-132 disc... It has a lot of kexts in it..

If you can install the vanilla kernel with the kalway disc you should be able to use this boot iso to install the retail dvd..

http://www.mediafire.com/?1ne1zbl4znv

Filip, your uploaded with the common extensions worked for me. That is, I am able to boot all the way into the installer and run utilities.

keplenk

keplenk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

I guess that if audio and video don't work that's because he didn't add the related kexts to the boot cd, is that right keplenk?

Oh yeah :) I forgot to mention that I did add some kext to make video and audio working. For my video, I used efi-gfx and it worked :D For audio, I just used HDAEnabler.kext and my patched HDA kext :D I'm trying to run benchies for both existing pc_efiv8 MBR and this newly installed chameleon in GUID. I'm curious about the AHCI kext by CycloneFR vs the one that apple made. I'll post results later. I'm gonna try do some test and see if grub can understand initrd.img .. but I'll have to do some reasearch first. Maybe wmarsh knows how to do this .. he's a pro in grub.

f41qu3

f41qu3

Insanely Retired Guru

• Retired
  • 458 posts

Is there any chance we can use Apple's Speedstep implementation?

I use here without problem (and enabled on BIOS too).

ual808

ual808

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I used initrd.img (which is original BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso + dsmos.kext) and got good result.

MB: Intel D945GCLF (built-in Atom CPU)
MEM: 2GB x1
DVD: PATA-master
HD: PATA-slave (GUID) partitioned into 4. This install used 1st partition.

Some pic at http://ual808.selfip.com/archives/286
Japanese written but you can see pictures.

Today July 2nd became the biggest memorial day for me in past two years of OSX86 experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy