New modified BOOT-132 allows you to boot retail DVDs

f41qu3

1,286 posts in this topic

Well, I managed to boot my modded install dvd from an usb hard disk :D

I just had to try numbers (from 80) in cdboot til the usb hard disk was recognized.

The boot process was ultra-fast, and managed to past the "mac os cannot be installed on this system" message, but as expected I couldn't get any further since it ask me to install in a GUID partition, and the only HD partitioned in guid mode I have is already used by my permanent Tiger Install.

Maybe you had a image from Restore disk. If is a Retail disk, don't appear this message.

Well, It seem that a nice how to.. will be perfect .. what will happen and what to do, after the os ins installed on hdd ? there are so many questions unanswered !

You can install Chameleon and put the needed kexts (dsmos.kext and all the stuff u need to make your audio / video / network work in mac os) normally in the /System/Library/Extensions folder. Really simple and nice :D

There is also a release of Chameleon that uses a special folder to hold the kexts that need to be used, leaving your /System/Library/Extensions folder clear as a real mac.

I ask for friends has Retail Leo DVD post back (or send me here or in pm) MD5 numbers for check and comparison.

I'll build a table for check OSX version x MD5 number.

This is soooooo cool!! I tried it and it worked like a real mac. :D

1) I grabbed one of my old IDE 40gb hdds from my old pc

2)plugged it in my p35-ds3l

3) removed all of my SATA hdds (just to be safe)

4) turned on pc (AHCI mode) > booted with BOOT-132 > swapped my retail DVD > booted like a charm

5) formatted my IDE hdd to GUID > installed Leopard Retail > Rebooted

6) Inserted the BOOT-132 CD again > typed 80 > and it booted like charm without modifying anything :P

*Everything seemed to be working except sound and my 7600GT video card / Restart doesn't work / Shutdown does (with 10.5.0) / 4 AHCI ports are NOT detected, only 2

Since I'm experimenting, I downloaded the "10.5.4 Combo Update from Apple website (not from software update)" and installed it normally without doing anything. Before, I normally do the netkas method in installing combo updates but this time I decided not to.

... and it Booted normally! I did not delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, I did not edit the /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 .. it just worked! Is that normal?

I checked my /S/L/E and I can see that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagmenent.kext is there .. I also verified that the kext is loaded. I don't get an Kernel Panics or errors .. Now, I'm wondering if I should delete it? Is it dangerous for my CPU?

Off topic: Anyway, I also found out that after updating to 10.5.4, all my 4 AHCI ports worked. I was using the modified kext by cyclonefr before. I did not know that apple fixed it already in 10.5.4. Btw, anybody knows if they are different?

More Noobish Questions:

1) If its not possible to boot from USB ATM .. can the bootable image be placed in a small partition in the hard drive? So that I won't have to boot from the CD all the time?

2) Could it be possible to load the "initrd.img" using Grub? - I don't even know if they or compatible or something lol.

3) tomnic said "There is also a release of Chameleon that uses a special folder to hold the kexts that need to be used, leaving your /System/Library/Extensions folder clear as a real mac."

Pretty neat .. does it mean, chameleon will be like BOOT-132?

Thanks for all the people who made this possible. :P

Absolutely and utterly cool... :):D:D this just works...

I have made a pretty generic BOOT-132 disc... It has a lot of kexts in it..

If you can install the vanilla kernel with the kalway disc you should be able to use this boot iso to install the retail dvd..

http://www.mediafire.com/?1ne1zbl4znv

Filip, your uploaded with the common extensions worked for me. That is, I am able to boot all the way into the installer and run utilities.

I guess that if audio and video don't work that's because he didn't add the related kexts to the boot cd, is that right keplenk?

Oh yeah :) I forgot to mention that I did add some kext to make video and audio working. For my video, I used efi-gfx and it worked :D For audio, I just used HDAEnabler.kext and my patched HDA kext :D I'm trying to run benchies for both existing pc_efiv8 MBR and this newly installed chameleon in GUID. I'm curious about the AHCI kext by CycloneFR vs the one that apple made. I'll post results later. I'm gonna try do some test and see if grub can understand initrd.img .. but I'll have to do some reasearch first. Maybe wmarsh knows how to do this .. he's a pro in grub.

I used initrd.img (which is original BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso + dsmos.kext) and got good result.

MB: Intel D945GCLF (built-in Atom CPU)

MEM: 2GB x1

DVD: PATA-master

HD: PATA-slave (GUID) partitioned into 4. This install used 1st partition.

Some pic at http://ual808.selfip.com/archives/286

Japanese written but you can see pictures.

Today July 2nd became the biggest memorial day for me in past two years of OSX86 experience.

With CPUDisabler.kext no prolem to use AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. :pirate2: Works great!

Yea, but as the name suggests it disables it, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement doesn't actually work.

I don't think vanilla Speedstep works for any hackintosh, you can have it enabled on your BIOS but it doesn't function. Look at your sysctl output, the cpu min and max frequency will be same.

80 or 81 will be your HDs check to see which number is on the prompt line in the square brackets(mine is 84) then type that in after you have swopped the DVD and enter. On some occasions I had to type it in more than once to get to work, but it is usually the one in the brackets

I have:

c-drive 80

d-drive 81

Data drive 82

1st USB 83

1st Optical 84

2nd Optical 85

Once you have done all your installation you THEN pick whatever drive you have installed to!

SticMAN

strange, I can boot from this iso disc but when I exchange it with the retail leopard dvd, nothing happens and it just returns back to the main darwin screen. On pressing enter, I get choose 80 or 81, but nothing about the dvd. any help.

@dev team: could this solution be used to inject a better formed DSDT table to OSX too? I'm thinking of a web interface widget (think of something like the web apps that create .vmx files for vmware player) that could create a personalized profile config file based on your hardware.

I've added a script to customize .img file.

Explanation:

BOOT-DFE-146-BUMBY.ISO need to be on HDD root

Create a Kext folder on HDD root and put there all kext if you needed

Credits to ToH/HMBT, gu3d3s

Improvments by Saraiva

Original idea by f41qu3 Pringles and Superhai The Super Hero

ADVICE: In this .IMG file has dsmos.kext, SMBIOSENabler.kext and CPUDisabler.kext no need put it again on script

Download on #1st post ... but I put link here too: http://homepage.mac.com/f41qu3/.Public/CDBoot_RC2.sh

Please, send me impressions about script. Need more debug on it.

Cheeerz, :rolleyes:

this is interesting. but wont there be a problem when you update your system from 10.5.0 to 10.5.4? for example the ps/2 kext where the version number has to be changed in order for the ps/2 keypoard/mouse to work? or this is only a tool to boot the original dvd.
This is only a tool to make it possible install Original DVD on PC. It can be use too to make System Updates.If had problems on PS2, put on /System/Library/Extensions a ApplePS2Controller.kext and ACPIPS2Nub.kext and repair permissions for this kexts:).This is not a new Chameleon os something like.If you don't have this image file, rename your ISO file to this name. Results are same, because it copied needed kexts to inside initrd.img.If you don't need total space (~55mb) edit script. The original file has ~10mb. I need impressions and segestions to try make better this script.

this is interesting. but wont there be a problem when you update your system from 10.5.0 to 10.5.4? for example the ps/2 kext where the version number has to be changed in order for the ps/2 keypoard/mouse to work? or this is only a tool to boot the original dvd.

USE THIS DEF's KEXT wich allow to use both ps2 and usb mouse and keyboards, WILL BACK THE ONBOARD KEYBOARD FOR LAPTOPS that cant be used in some laptops after the 10.5.4 update combo ....

ACPIPS2Nub.kext.zip

I don't know, maybe its just me...

5) Run syslinux.exe <drive letter>: (Ex: syslinux.exe f:) should be

5) Run syslinux.exe -ma <drive letter>: (Ex: syslinux.exe -ma f:) the -ma was left out?!

SticMAN

How to create bootable USB with BOOT-132 loader from Windows.

Its useful only for already installed Leo.

1) Download syslinux from here. (Must be version 3.63)

2) Unpack zip somewhere. (Ex: c:\temp)

3) Connect you USB Drive.

4) Open cmd and go to the unpacked folder\win32 directory. (Ex: c:\temp\win32)

5) Run syslinux.exe <drive letter>: (Ex: syslinux.exe f:)

6) Copy all files from CD to your USB Drive (mboot.c32, boot, initrd.img, isolinux.bin)

7) From folder isolinux copy isolinux.cfg to USB Drive root f:\.

8) Rename isolinux.bin to syslinux.sys and isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg.

9) Enjoy you bootable USB Bootloader... :)

The idea after this, is to leave Leo installation untoucheble.

To apply all the patches at USB Drive... :D

Sticman, as I was saying earlier, here's the gmax3100 and gma950 gfx string.

ae00000001000000020000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0000000001010600001e0

01060000017fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e000000050000000163000000

200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff0400100000006d006f00640065006c000

000d000000474d41205833313030200000004100410050004c002c00480061007300500061006e00

5006c0000000800000001000000

If you use this, you don't need gmanatit