New modified BOOT-132 allows you to boot retail DVDs

f41qu3

1,286 posts in this topic

I believe this bug is related with your video card. I'm testing in Intel GMA950 with Leopard and Snow and worked fine.

This is a first version, I (and team) can't guaranteed that I would work with all hardwares existing.

We see bugs in this version to try fix in nexts.

Cheerz,

My video card is not recognized at all by Leopard or Tiger, in fact it needs patched binaries to run, otherwise I only get VESA video (which is exactly what I get with this cdboot), so I doubt it had something to do with it.

Anyway, I really hope all this stuff improves, it will be really revolutionary if finally works as it was intended .

Sorry, but this iso image will not work for us.

" However, when used correctly it is fully capable of booting an unmodified OS X Leopard DVD. To do so you merely need to provide whatever extensions you need to make OS X work in your initrd file" ( http://tgwbd.org/darwin/boot.html )

If someone knows what kexts are needed on your hardware, try to mount your own initrd.img

@Guedes: can you post your initrd.img for xbx2 ?

k.i.s.s

e a original do cd, somente com o dsmos.kext, o HMBT esta preparando um patch para q se possa por o dsmos e outras kexts que possam ser necessarias a chip7 nao intel.

aviso loqo que os testes terminem.

Ok, now load and when choosing the language, gives east message "is not possible to be installed in this computer"

My pc; Gigabyte ep35-ds3l

Hi,

sorry but you try install RESTORE DVD, and this dont works.... only RETAIL DVD is works. becouse RESTORE only can be instlaed in SAME HARD. Ei restore for MB only will intaled in another MB.....

Hey guys, just one question....

The 132 works on non vanilla system, or i need a hacked kernel too?

I don't have a vanilla system, it boots ok, but i take a black screen after the initrd load the kexts, i've made a quick test here, i need to put the dsmos in the initrd yet, probally tomorrow i'll.

Thanx for this how to f41qu3, and Gu3d3s for the help and uploads.

Just a quick guide to add kexts and make iso from OS X.

Download this package

Open terminal

Make a directory

mkdir newiso

copy following from the package into newiso:

- boot

- initrd.img

- isolinux.bin

- isolinux.cfg

- mboot.c32

to edit initrd.img set rw permission

chmod 777 newiso/initrd.img

then you should open it

hdiutil attach newiso/initrd.img

now copy the kext you need into /Volumes/initrd/Extra/Extensions/

cp -R mykext.kext /Volumes/initrd/Extra/Extensions/

I suggest you add dsmos.kext NVkush.kext and if you have alc889 also HDAenabler.kext and if you need kext to boot your root device also

One thing to notice, the kexts need this in the info.plist file:

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
	<string>Root</string>

or

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
	<string>Console</string>

or they will not load. To add those properties you can use nano and need to be added at the end of the plist file just before the last lines:

</dict>
</plist>

If you need a bigger image you may resize it with this comman, choose appropriate size

hdiutil resize -size 20MB newiso/initrd.img

when you are finished adding you eject your initrd image

hdiutil detach /Volumes/initrd

now you need to create your iso

hdiutil makehybrid -o new.iso newiso/ -iso -eltorito-boot newiso/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot

and then burn new.iso with your favorite burner (first try with a cd-rw disc so you can redo it later iwthout wasting cdr disc)

Hey guys, just one question....

The 132 works on non vanilla system, or i need a hacked kernel too?

I don't have a vanilla system, it boots ok, but i take a black screen after the initrd load the kexts, i've made a quick test here, i need to put the dsmos in the initrd yet, probally tomorrow i'll.

Thanx for this how to f41qu3, and Gu3d3s for the help and uploads.

Sorry friend, but at the time only vanila system can take advantage of this :(

TallonKrd

" - sounds like you have a restore disc or something similar. What are your specs, what disc are you using, and what modifications did you make to the iso?"

I am using dvd of installation of MacBook.

I modified iso it with ultraiso in Windows

Sorry my english

So it can't be used for a clean installation from a formatted hard drive???

Another question: How can I know which kexts I should put into the kext folder?

I mean I guess I have to put 2 kexts for the audio (alcinject and applehda), but how can I know if I should add more kexts to the iso?

Well for one, ALL the kexts you used during your previous installs to get your stuff working, ie controller kext, Audio, video injector etc!

The DSMOS kext should already be in the initrd.img, if not add it for good measure!

If you only loaded the two Audio kexts and the rest worked OTB then you should be fine!

SticMAN

So it can't be used for a clean installation from a formatted hard drive???

Another question: How can I know which kexts I should put into the kext folder?

I mean I guess I have to put 2 kexts for the audio (alcinject and applehda), but how can I knwo if I should add more kexts to the iso?

Confirmed working on DFI Lanparty DK P35-TRS.

I couldn't seem to get HDAEnabler and my AppleHDA.kext loaded though. I had to do that manually.

Reboot seems to hang with added older ACPIPlatform.

Hopefully what we can see in the future:

-Direct boot to first HDD or boot selector without having to type 80

-ability to add device id manifests instead of adding complete older system kexts to boot from (ich8, ich9/r)

-ability to add efi hex strings directly into the systems boot.plist

-ability to boot from usb flash drive

Great work to everyone involved!

Congrats and thanks!!! :)

-Stell

Tested personally... it works perfectly!!! Installing and updates from Apple's auto updater... A landmark in OSX86 History!!!

P.s.: tested on a GA-945GCMX-S2 with E2200 processor, on an Acer Aspire 5920G. Perfect!

NOTICE: Once the system is installed you can put up chameleon 1.0.11 and put dsmos.kext manually in the extensions of the hdd to make it boot without the "magic" CD

How to install chameleon 1.0.11 ? :wacko:

thank you

This is great work, thanks to all who have contributed.

I have a core2 quad system currently running 10.5.4 and pc-efiv8 so I have efi strings instead of injectors for graphics and sound. The only way my system differs from that on my real macs is that I have macnub's modified SMBIOS, dsmos.kext, no AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and HDAEnabler.kext.

I hope I'm not going to be reinstalling from my retail Leopard disk any time soon, so I don't have an immediate use for this amazing new boot cd image.

Here's something that strikes me which I would like your thoughts on.

If instead of macnub's SMBIOS I use SMBIOSEnabler.kext from this initrd.img, and if I also have the IntelCPUMdisabler.kext and dsmos.kext in place (all set to root/console loading) then I should be able to add back the latest genuine AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext without any ill effects.

Not only that but if say 10.5.5 comes out and the delta update contains a new AppleSMBIOS and its update script tries to load Dont Steal MacOS X.kext again, then these new kexts with their higher loading priority should be able to deal with both of these situations and allow what would otherwise have been 'dangerous' updates to work via the normal software update mechanism.

Maybe I've misunderstood, but if this is true then this to me is at least as valuable as being able to use the .iso image to boot directly from a retail DVD.