Show Your Connection Speed!

189 posts in this topic

VM's 100Mbit trial stopped AGES ago as it was a huge failure.

The 50Mbit comes trial comes to an end soon and starts rolling out around december.

How can you be happy with all day STM though? (10am-3pm and 4pm-9pm)

50Mbit has STM as well

Really as a result of the trial I heard they were changing their TV service to be IP based to take advantage of these high download speeds. This works both ways by freeing up spectrum used before by linear broadcast TV allowing for better broadband speeds.

STM is a pain but its the less of two evils at the moment until the TV service can be switched to the new IP based service freeing up spectrum. Rather have STM than download Caps. Just schedule your high downloading at sensible times.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a962...rm-in-2009.html

Really as a result of the trial I heard they were changing their TV service to be IP based to take advantage of these high download speeds. This works both ways by freeing up spectrum used before by linear broadcast TV allowing for better broadband speeds.

STM is a pain but its the less of two evils at the moment until the TV service can be switched to the new IP based service freeing up spectrum. Rather have STM than download Caps. Just schedule your high downloading at sensible times.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a962...rm-in-2009.html

Sensible times? 10am-3pm is not peak times, overnight STM is into play in some areas, what sensible times is there? you only have 3-4pm and that's it.

They are going to be doing IPTV (it's being trialed right now) but wont be stopping their existing TV service, it's going to be more of an ADD on, they are however turning analogue off which will free bandwith up.

STM is more than a pain as it has rather silly limits for this day and age, 20minutes of usage get's you shaped down to 5mbit, screw that.

Then there is the new application throttling going on as well!

I dont need to scheduele downloads, i have 25/25 unlimited :wacko:

I wouldnt touch 50Mbit with 1.5mbit upload either, not worth the money.

Sensible times? 10am-3pm is not peak times, overnight STM is into play in some areas, what sensible times is there? you only have 3-4pm and that's it.

They are going to be doing IPTV (it's being trialed right now) but wont be stopping their existing TV service, it's going to be more of an ADD on, they are however turning analogue off which will free bandwith up.

STM is more than a pain as it has rather silly limits for this day and age, 20minutes of usage get's you shaped down to 5mbit, screw that.

Then there is the new application throttling going on as well!

I dont need to scheduele downloads, i have 25/25 unlimited

I wouldnt touch 50Mbit with 1.5mbit upload either, not worth the money.

Click on the link I posted and it does state they are replacing their DTV service with an IPTV based one.

Virgin Media is planning a new phase of its IPTV-powered high definition trials later this year as part of a plan to replace its existing digital cable television service in 2009.

I am a high downloader and have only been throtled a few times and I am back up to full speed soon anyway being throttled to 5mb isn't bad at all, alot better than some ADSL connections.

Yeah VM is expensive but when you get a bundle it is actually a lot cheaper. I get 20m BB, Digital YV PVR including Sky Sports, Sky Movies, Setanta Sports and 1000s of hours of on demand content, extra box plus free national phone calls. All for £85 a mounth.

Otherwise the broadband is £37 which is way too expensive.

The ADSL in my area is useless max is about 5mb. So until ADSL2 gets here and more ISPs unbundle the telephone exchanges I will stick with VM.

Out of interest who are you with.

Click on the link I posted and it does state they are replacing their DTV service with an IPTV based one.

That's not what is actually going to happen, just analogue turn of, IPTV will only be available to users of the 20/50mbit tier.

I am a high downloader and have only been throtled a few times and I am back up to full speed soon anyway being throttled to 5mb isn't bad at all, alot better than some ADSL connections.

I am also a high downloader and got throttled practically everday, 5Mbit is not OK, not for £37/month...i do most of my downloading overnight but evening time i wanna do iplayer/youtube etc and with multiple pcs in the house 3GB is reached in half hour easy.

I just dont find that limit to be acceptable in this day and age, especially when a service pack for windows weighs in at 500MB, same for mac updates, game demos are 1-3GB as well, so if you game, ur pretty screwed, along with the new application throttling (to which usenet goes down to 512Kbit/s) as well they just are not worth the money, imo.

Yeah VM is expensive but when you get a bundle it is actually a lot cheaper. I get 20m BB, Digital YV PVR including Sky Sports, Sky Movies, Setanta Sports and 1000s of hours of on demand content, extra box plus free national phone calls. All for £85 a mounth.

Problem is VM have a {censored} tv service, extremely low bitrate channels (i mean sub par 2MB) leaving really bad compression artifacts, which for me, makes tv unbearable to watch.

Their VOD is OK, tv shows are somewhat useless though as they like to appear and disappear randomly or only part of a series arrives then goes straight to the next, what i do find amusing is VOD has better PQ than normal channels.

Sky sports i'm not interested in except for wrestling but i have sat-linkup to 1080P station for that.

Each to their own, iguess.

Otherwise the broadband is £37 which is way too expensive.

I agree, when it was unlimited however i wouldnt agree, it was worth the premium.

The ADSL in my area is useless max is about 5mb. So until ADSL2 gets here and more ISPs unbundle the telephone exchanges I will stick with VM.

Out of interest who are you with.

I'm 1.5KM from exchange and get 20Mbit Down/2.5Mbit upload with Be as a backup line :)

For main line its FTTH and i'm with http://www.ask4.com 25/25 connection for £50/month

287628932.png

That`s with normal http / ftp transfers..

Torrents average at 1100 - 1200 KB/s upload and download ( when the seeds actually have enough speed :) ).

It`s a normal 10/10 Mbit/s ethernet connection + 100mbit/s in town.

Main connection costs 10 euros / month and each of the 3 additional 10mbit connections cost 1.5 euros each and come with their own public IP address.

Preatty sweet :)

( main connection - PC1 / second connection PC2 / 3rd and 4th connections = Server ( www.nowlive.ro ) )

Just bought into Fios. We got the 50/20 plan and it's going to be installed on Thursday. I'll be sure to post a speed test once it's ready. Here's my current speedtest with Comcast.

287831031.png

It's actually pretty misleading because Comcast uses "speedburst" or whatever it's called for the first few megabytes or seconds or something. My sustained speeds are never more than 6000kb/s or 750KB/s. The same is true for my upload speeds.

I know what you mean sneezy, it sucks. My upload speed tests 1500 and download is about the same, 20-25mbit but the actual download is around 8mbit and the actual upload is 384kbit which ends up being 30 k/s with torrents.

• 2 weeks later...