HWSensors project

kozlek

286 posts in this topic

Thank you for sharing. Good to see someone making progress.

So why do we want it (notebook / desktop)?

Will the new be limited to /Extra or also run froms /S/L/E?

I bet people are going to ask: "How do we pull this from github this?" (me starts counter).

Oh and your README looks more like a LICENSE file to me. Not what I was expecting.

n.b. It compiles fine. No warnings / errors.

Does it auto-detects Tjmax value from CPU?

Yup. More like an educated guess really, but looking at the source code:

bool IntelThermal::init(OSDictionary *properties)
{
DebugLog("Initialising...");

if (!super::init(properties))
	return false;

if (OSNumber* number = OSDynamicCast(OSNumber, getProperty("TJMax"))) {
	tjmax[0] = number->unsigned32BitValue();	
}

return true;
}

I would say it does.

:huh: It's difficult to believe that you are a 15 year old girl, but if you say so.

working from extra

Major selling point imho. Thank you!

/EDIT 22/10

I installed your fakesmc + intelthermal & superio with winbond plugin today.

It works great but AUXTIN and one of my case fans is missing (FAN1 is the CPU fan). Compare with a screenshot of HWMonitor:

Screen_shot_2010_10_21_at_10.22.02_PM.pngHWMonitor.png

If I add NVClockX I get a kernel panic during boot. The one that doesn't even mention NVClockX was when booting the 10.6.0 install DVD.

Sorry about the quality, there's not enough ambient light here to take good photos in the evening :-)

IMG_3700.JPGIMG_3701.JPG

Nvidia 9800GTX+ on unmodified drivers, motherboard is ASUS P5Q-E.

1. Readme actually is a license - I am not a good english writer.

2. Look for "downloads" section (thanks, oldnapalm).

3. kexts will work from S/L/E too

4. IntelThermal trying to autodetect TjMax value. If not using 100. TjMax value could be overriden via info.plist:

post-258361-1287115927_thumb.png

1. Readme actually is a license - I am not a good english writer.

2. Look for "downloads" section (thanks, oldnapalm).

3. kexts will work from S/L/E too

4. IntelThermal trying to autodetect TjMax value. If not using 100. TjMax value could be overriden via info.plist:

post-258361-1287115927_thumb.png

How is this project different from Slice's FakeSMC project? I have Slice's FakeSMC with 4 plugins in my /s/l/e folder. All appears to be properly detected on my rig - temps (CPU, GPU), fan, CPU voltage. Albeit, I still have no fan control.

Loaded FakeSMC plugins are as follow: FakeSMCIntelMonitor.kext, FakeSMCnVclockPort.kext, FakeSMCSuperIO.kext, FakeSMCACPIMonitor.kext

I'm an amateur, so please do elaborate.

DarwinX, if you open your FakeSMC and plugins info.plist, you could see who is creator.

In general It's the same project and the same developers. We was working together on the pervious version. This new version I decided to make works from Extra. Still waiting the team will join to me on github.

DarwinX, if you open your FakeSMC and plugins info.plist, you could see who is creator.

In general It's the same project and the same developers. We was working together on the pervious version. This new version I decided to make works from Extra. Still waiting the team will join to me on github.

I do realize that you are involved with with both projects, hence the question. Given my FakeSMC state, is there a benefit to replacing it with yours? If so, do I completely remove Slice's FakeSMC and replace it with yours in /e/e/ folder? The placement of FakeSMC.kext is not that important to me by the way.

The placement of FakeSMC.kext is not that important to me by the way.

Seriously? The major benefit is that since mozodojo's version works from /extra, you can use it on a boot CD or whatever else you use to boot a retail OS X installer. Previously you had to use Netkas' original version.

I would say that's pretty significant.

Seriously? The major benefit is that since mozodojo's version works from /extra, you can use it on a boot CD or whatever else you use to boot a retail OS X installer. Previously you had to use Netkas' original version.

I would say that's pretty significant.

True, however for existing installations, what are the benefits of the Mozodojo branch? How do I get NVidia GPU temp readout with it? Basically and logically, I merely desire to have the best available implementation of the FakeSMC for my particular rig. Naturally, regression would be undesirable, so if this branch offers more features, then it is something I am quite interested in. Beyond the read outs that I already do receive from my existing Slice's FakeSMC, what more is there and out of that what is further available in this particular branch? Is there any hope for fan control?

Dear mozodojo thanks for your share and hard work. I have also been following the developments over ProjectOSX of slice, rubik and you and others; however, I see some lack of updates or interest...

So I remove FakeSMC v405 (latest ProjectOSX) from /S/L/E/ and include yours in /E/E but.... for us poor souls that don't have time to learn and compile, would you be so kind and offer us the full compiled binaries?

Is the link below the one I am looking for?

http://github.com/downloads/Mozodojo/FakeS...est.zip/qr_code

Finally, your FakeSMC main binary, is it the same as Netkas' 2.5 release some time ago, or is it a more developed, advanced version? I don't see a version in its Info.plist

Please let us know when you have updated your sources and provide a new binary to download!

Many many thanks! About to test it on my Q9550 ICH7 ITE8718F chipset mobo! Nevermind NVidia readings ;-)

Yes. All kexts go to /E/E independently. It woks like a charm!

If you used FakeSMC from ProjectOSX (latest v405) remove it completely from /S/L/E

and do the following:

sudo rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

wait for the system to rebuild the caches without FakeSMC in /S/L/E then

place the contents of HWSensors_latest.zip e.g. contents of Release 10.6 in /Extra/Extensions/

and perhaps keep either ITE or Winbond kext if you know your motherboard. Then do the following:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

Works perfectly. I did not tamper with TJMAX at all.

I have no NVidia heatsink reading, but that's fine by me. Here's my verbose boot log:

Oct 15 15:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Opensource SMC device emulator by netkas © 2009
Oct 15 15:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Modified for plugins support by mozodojo © 2010
Oct 15 15:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMCDevice: 15 keys added
Oct 15 15:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: Not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - not found and kextd not available in early boot.
Oct 15 15:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Adding key TC0D with handler, type sp78, size 2
Oct 15 15:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Adding key TC1D with handler, type sp78, size 2
Oct 15 15:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Adding key TC2D with handler, type sp78, size 2
Oct 15 15:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Adding key TC3D with handler, type sp78, size 2
Oct 15 15:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: IntelThermal: CPU family 0x6, model 0x17, stepping 0xa, cores 4, threads 0
Oct 15 15:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: IntelThermal: CPU Tjmax 100
Oct 15 15:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: IT87x: found ITE IT8718F
Oct 15 15:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Adding key TN0P with handler, type sp78, size 2
Oct 15 15:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Adding key Th0H with handler, type sp78, size 2
Oct 15 15:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Adding key VC0C with handler, type fp2e, size 2
Oct 15 15:15:10 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Adding key F0Ac with handler, type fpe2, size 2

Dear mozodojo I have an issue renaming my fan(s). My mobo is a barebone-type and has only one fan, in the rear that cools the CPU heatsink. With previous ProjectOSX FakeSMC plugin, I could rename it to "Chassis" fan name.

However, doing that here doesn't seem to work. It keeps displaying FAN0 in iStat Menus.

I edited /Extra/Extensions/IT87x.kext/Contents/Info.plist and added in <string> the following:

<key>FANIN0</key>

<string>Chassis</string>

<key>FANIN1</key>

<string></string>

<key>FANIN2</key>

<string></string>

<key>FANIN3</key>

<string></string>

<key>FANIN4</key>

<string></string>

<key>TEMPIN0</key>

<string>System</string>

<key>TEMPIN1</key>

<string></string>

<key>TEMPIN2</key>

<string>Processor</string>

Can anyone help, please? I can't find any other FAN info in the plugins. Thanks in advance.

Thank you.

it's working great from my chameleon USB bootstick

but i think tjmax values for my intel c2q q6600 are too high...

(btw, is it normal that a quad core cpu just has 2 termal sensors ?

1 for every core would be more useful i think...)

finally northbridge temp is shown !