What makes OSX better?

yonyz

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm a user of XP, and also tried Vista and got back to XP, but used XP, only because I had no choice!

I've always liked Apple products, but have never had an iPod, Mac or any of their products.

Now there's this Hackintosh thing, and I'm gonna get it done today.

I would like to know what makes Leopard, or any other Mac OS X, better than it's competitors: Vista, XP, Linux, or any other operating system that I have never heard about.

Oh, and... Please don't kill me. :P

Like the commercials say "it just works". Right out of the box you can edit movies or pictures, with windows you have to download all of the security updates b4 you can even start to search the net. I used windows for almost 15 years, then I switched to a Mac and it just worked for me.

what iScott said, it just works. Once you get the hang on installing the damn thing and installing kexts and all that its really good.

This:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C31)

Kernel Version: Darwin 9.2.0

Boot Volume: MacOSX

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: Leo

User Name: Xxxxxxx Xxxxx (xxxxxx)

Time since boot: 17 days 2:27

And I use most of the software in my dock everyday!!

SticMAN

Oh, and... Please don't kill me. ;)

Now why would we do a thing like that...

Apple products work in harmony together, creating a beautiful zen like experience for the user. Though in some cases the hackintosh route can be a significantly disturbing to your health. -_-

For somebody who has already ranked up 120 (at the time of writing) posts, your only trying OSx86 now ?! WTF is all that about? shouldn't it be the other way around? trying OS X first then posting all your questions and such?

Why and How can you not have an iPod? There dirt cheap on eBay! You could also get a good mac off there. A G4 Cube for £70 ($140) They still run Tiger and i think, maybe Leopard.

Think Mark

**Off Topic** Sabr, Complex Mind & Suhail... how come we have a lot of ads now?

This:System Software Overview: System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C31) Kernel Version: Darwin 9.2.0 Boot Volume: MacOSX Boot Mode: Normal Computer Name: Leo User Name: Xxxxxxx Xxxxx (xxxxxx) Time since boot: 17 days 2:27And I use most of the software in my dock everyday!!SticMAN

Ohh wow we almost have the same desktop pict!

mine i drew myself.

I know it's not that great, i just a few min sketch from a pic i saw somewhere.

post-164917-1208429878_thumb.jpg

If you finish it, POST it somewhere, I want it

SticMAN

here's my clean one!

Ohh wow we almost have the same desktop pict!

mine i drew myself.

I know it's not that great, i just a few min sketch from a pic i saw somewhere.

what iScott said, it just works. Once you get the hang on installing the damn thing and installing kexts and all that its really good.

I agree with iScott and Kiwi89. "It just works" will real Mac's of course. Even my OSx86 Box is amazingly stable after almost two years. I even setup as my own Personal Server. It's great as an FTP Server, Web Server and even iTunes streaming server.

MyTunes RSS

--danyel :P

clearly the stable, secure and fast unix paired with the best X window manager in the whole unix world!

Aqua is not running under X, but under Display PDF (correct me if I'm wrong).

Now, what makes OS X better? The experience (everything works smoothly) and all those high-quality and easy-to-use applications.

It even works better than Vista on my Hackintosh :)

Ya know, I've been seriously wondering this myself as far as applications go. I have a Leo that 'just works' but my Vista Ultimate 64bit 'just works' as well. I've seen a few iMac's that didn't "just work" just as there are Vista computers that didn't "just work" either. I do find the Windows camp much louder about complaining when things go south though and perhaps why you don't hear the Apple fallout, but that could also be due to their rather large market share. OSX also has a tighter QVL that helps things to play nicely more than the vast QVL that Vista has to accommodate.

Vista Ultimate has many of the same features including a very similar preview to that of Apple. Stolen, copied, whatever it is a feature. Even the taskbar has a live preview of the window. I do find that there are many more games out there for a Windows computer than a Mac. Although if you're comparing OS's than don't count the partial junk that make up the other editions, they're just watered down versions of Vista Ultimate. Some would say that is a plus by only getting the features that you need rather than a bunch that you don't but others would complain at the lack of functionality in such a method that is present in OSX out of the box. Truth is you are missing alot if you get anything but the Ultimate version.

One thing is for sure and why OSX is so appealing, when things go wrong on a Mac it's annoying but when things go wrong in Vista they can go very wrong in a hurry and that's just beyond annoying.