Leopard on Quad Core Q6600

236 posts in this topic

thanks for the fast reply. my full specs:

Asus P5Q

C2Quad Q9400

4 GB Geil memory DDR800

Geforce 8800GT

SATA DVD

3 Hardisks all sata (seagate 80 for MAC, Hitachi 80 for XP, Seagate 500 for files)

used iDENEB 1.3 10.5.5 DVD

what the bios of your system

• 2 weeks later...

hey any of you HP M9040n users out there ever resolve a decent solution to an internal wireless setup? I tried a wifi PCI card - no go, a different ethernet card, no go, a pci to minipic adapter with a approved wifi mini pci wifi card [still don't know why this didn't work, the system profiler doesn't even see the PCI card for some reason] and currently irritably using an apple USB to ethernet adapter.

Just upped all the OS versions on my computers to the 10.5.5 ideneb build, which has got to be the easiest yet. Although time machine is not working on the tower currently, its working on the laptop. Didn't install the latest security update though.

Also is anyone using EFIstudio to put their graphics card info into the bootloader? I haven't found a good tutorial for this, and it looks if its done wrong it'll hose everything up.

all in all smooth sailing as far as usability for these two, the tablet works as a DJ set up and I use it at the office to comp up graphics. i'd like to maximize the usage of my graphics card.

otherwise just checking to see whats news in the forums.

Kenny

thanks for the pointer I will check it out, as far as the wifi card its some broadcom mini pci card I picked up for the laptop before I found out that it didn't use minipci!! So I bought a PCI adapter to try it. i've got a belkin usb wifi, but it is really undependable with the tower, works like butter on the laptop though, i need to get timemachine re-going on the tower before any attempts to mod that [i do keep to bootable partitions on each machine, just to test stuff out though]

I would have to check at home about the wifi card, I feel like I am missing something stupid like putting the right device id for the pci adapter card itself or something.

frankly its not enough of a problem that I am researching too hard, but the better it is, well the better it is, right?

ok, I just ordered one, [WMP54GS v1.1 PCI Wireless Network Card ] i will let you know if it works!

yeh try to get the right chipset, if you have windows try with everest or buy a new one:

Today this guy report sucess with this one:

Linksys WMP54GS v1.1 PCI Wireles Network Card works out of the box.

Also check the HCL for wireless cards

as you can see I am not busy at the office today:

so I read that page, and if I get it correctly as well as scottdangel's webblog, if I use his latest installer it should just automatically get the info from the pci card and insert it into the boot.plist, but other places I have read, if I don't have a working [at that second, bad news for constantly self-assigning IPs on ethernet] ethernet, it will not work, since it needs to add that too? could this inject the info for the PCI to MiniPCI adapter card too?

i see how EFIstudio is supposed to work, but is it going to give me better and more choices for resolutions? currently my choices are weak. But they do work, and I don't want to spend all my time tweaking as opposed to making stuff, which is the original goal for a new machine.

Linksys WMP54GS v1.1 PCI Wireles Network Card works out of the box.

thanks for the tip, I will check it out

kenny

QUOTE:ok, I just ordered one, [WMP54GS v1.1 PCI Wireless Network Card ] i will let you know if it works!

well it works straight out of the box into the pci slot, I flushed my caches with cocktail as a precaution, restarted and I was on my password protected network straight up!

Glad that problems out of the way, I couldn't bit torrent dependably and be on the web, hell the usb ethernet was constantly defaulting to self assigned IP.

hurrrray!!!

• 2 months later...

Works great with my Q6600..

With the new Ideneb v1.4 (Default SMbios), it also returns the correct CPU information. (Dutch, sorry..)

Don't forget to install the latest power manage package/kexts!..

Hardwareoverzicht:

Modelnaam:	Mac
  Modelaanduiding:	MacPro3,1
  Processornaam:	Intel® Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @
  Processorsnelheid:	2.39 GHz
  Totaal aantal cores:	4
  L2-cache (per processor):	4 MB
  Processorkenmerken:	FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL VMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM
  Geheugen:	6 GB
  Bussnelheid:	1.07 GHz

• 6 months later...
well i use this snowosx universal dvd 3.5 but yea i got it working but no audio quartz extreme or quartzcl

Well about the video you need to add efi strings I think, check here drivers for Snow some guy report 8600 GT working here

Dunno if audio going to work, please check

This is from hackint0sh

I briefly tried SL using chameleon install. Installation was smooth but the appleHDA patch that worked for 10.5.8 didn't work on SL; plus no sleep function. Plus i heard many software issue with the new OS so maybe i will wait until most things ironed out before I do the switch.

to add some help - the Q6600 works perfectly for a hackintosh - I've installed both 10.5.8 (using iatkos v7) and now 10.6 (using an untouched SL installation disk) perfectly. all four cores are recognized, speed is the same on Windows/Linux, etc.

getting audio and video to work is specific to your setup, as it could be as simple as an EFI string or extra/hacked kexts to install.

>> scorcho? What additional extras did you have to insert for a basic boot-up? Are you using the boot 132 with a extras kext folder? I haven't ever gone that route, but now I want to learn that direction. Any leading information in regards to your adds to get there would be appreciated.

Kenny

>> scorcho? What additional extras did you have to insert for a basic boot-up? Are you using the boot 132 with a extras kext folder? I haven't ever gone that route, but now I want to learn that direction. Any leading information in regards to your adds to get there would be appreciated.

Kenny

jenkins try with this, someone shared long time ago in my blog for our system, hope it helps

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?znnj3zz5nzm

Kenny

about to head out, will be back later tonight but here's a quick answer. the 10.5 install was easy using iAtkos, just be sure to install a vanilla kernel and select to create a DSDT for your motherboard. i also chose the Chameleon bootloader.

Then I installed SL directly from my 10.5.8 installation onto a separate partition. I then created an Extra/Extensions directory on that partition and copied over the kexts from this package - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954

With my motherboard/graphics card combination, I can boot perfectly into either 32 or 64 bit kernels, and only needed to modify one kext in S/L/E. everything to make the hackintosh work is located in E/E.