Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

No, I did a lot of tests, without sound kexts installed and the shutdown/restart issue remains and all the way arround, I mean, with no Nvidia kexts loaded but with sound kexts we have proper shutdown/restart.

Of course this in on the present generation of Dell laptops because with a Inspiron 6400 (previous generation, like yours) shutdown works fine, of course the well known 2 core stutter.

But again, if sleeps works fine why bother with shutdown.

I've make a script with shutdown/unload kext commands and tested it: after i've get black screen, computer won't shutdown (usually i've no problems).

I share opinion of macgirl.

Source here:

on run
tell application "Finder"
	activate
	set the visible of every application process to true
	set Tte_Applic_Ouverte to name of (every application process whose (visible is true))

end tell

set drap_quit_ok to true
repeat with Elt_Tte_App in Tte_Applic_Ouverte
	if (Elt_Tte_App as text) is not "Finder" then
		set test_quit to display dialog Elt_Tte_App buttons {"Don't quit", "Quit"} default button 2
		if the button returned of test_quit is "Quitter" then
			try
				with timeout of 5 seconds
					quit application Elt_Tte_App saving ask

end timeout
			on error erreur
				set drap_quit_ok to false
				tell application "Finder" to activate
				set DemDe to display dialog "Problem with " & Elt_Tte_App & " : " & return & erreur buttons {"Continue", "Stop"} default button 2 giving up after 20 -- secondes
				if the button returned of DemDe is not "Continue" then exit repeat

end try
		end if
	end if
end repeat
do shell script "kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext" with administrator privileges
return 1

end run

EDIT:

@JonZ:

If you think that this issue comes with sound kexts, try to replace

do shell script "kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext" with administrator privileges

by

do shell script "kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext" with administrator privileges

And/or

do shell script "kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/ALCInject.kext" with administrator privileges

No, I did a lot of tests, without sound kexts installed and the shutdown/restart issue remains and all the way arround, I mean, with no Nvidia kexts loaded but with sound kexts we have proper shutdown/restart.

Of course this in on the present generation of Dell laptops because with a Inspiron 6400 (previous generation, like yours) shutdown works fine, of course the well known 2 core stutter.

But again, if sleeps works fine why bother with shutdown.

Well it definitely not my case. Shutdown issues gets on me when I install the nvidia and the sound togheter. Thanks Sonotone, I will try that once I get my OSX up and running again, which is maybe in a couple of hours.

EDIT:

@JonZ:

If you think that this issue comes with sound kexts, try to replace

by

do shell script "kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext" with administrator privileges

And/or

do shell script "kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/ALCInject.kext" with administrator privileges

I don't why but the script tells it fail to unload the kext after I put my password and stop there. I'm pretty newish with scripts.

I have however unloaded manually it with the Terminal, and made a Shutdown... I get a Kernel Panic. If I also shutdown the ALCinject, no KP but still doesn't shutdown properly.

However, If I shutdown NVDAResman manually and blind manually shutdown, it shutdown perfectly.

OK , here a script to unload NVDAResman.kext before shutdown The solution was to make a shell script, and not to call finder.

It works on mine cause i get "the black screen" before shutdown process.

Solution 1 (soft):

on run
set timer to (0)
set shutdown_time to (current date) + (timer * minutes)
do shell script "shutdown -h +" & timer as string & " timed shutdown" with administrator privileges
end run

Solution 2 (violent):

on run
do shell script "halt" with administrator privileges
end run

Reboot:

on run
do shell script "reboot" with administrator privileges
end run

I attach first shutdown solution and reboot as applications for people who won't to compil it.

Hope it works on yours machines.

Shutdown.zip

Reboot.zip

Doesn't work on M1530.
Make sure you wait when the display goes out. I have to wait a good 30-40 sec before it shut down (shut down wheel is spinning behind the shuted down display).
I'm glad that's working for you :D ! You can put it in your dock now...That's not the ultimate fix, more a "bandage"... waiting for M1330/1530 feebacks now.
BTW, do you know if it possible to add my credential passwords in the script? It work but I need to enter my pass everytime.

@JonZ:

yes, you can, edit with script editor (put "solution 1" script into script editor blank page) and add:

do shell script "shutdown -h +" & timer as string & " timed shutdown" password "yourpass" with administrator privileges

do shell script "kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext" password "yourpass" with administrator privileges

Compil it, save as "progiciel" (in french, the 4th in choice for everyone :D ) without options.

It will don't ask your pass anymore.

@Chrysaor:

try with depedencies:

on run
set timer to (0)
do shell script "shutdown -h +" & timer as string & " timed shutdown" with administrator privileges
do shell script "kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext" with administrator privileges
do shell script "kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext" with administrator privileges
end run

@Chrysaor:

try with depedencies:

on run
set timer to (0)
do shell script "kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext" with administrator privileges
do shell script "kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext" with administrator privileges
end run

Nope, doesn't work with dependencies either. Tried waiting about a minute also.

@JonZ:

yes, you can, edit with script editor (put "solution 1" script into script editor blank page) and add:

do shell script "kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext" password "yourpass" with administrator privileges

Compil it, save as "progiciel" (in french, the 4th in choice for everyone :D ) without options.

It will don't ask your pass anymore.

@Chrysaor:

try with depedencies:

on run
 set timer to (0)
end run

hmm, I made the changes, I then saved it as Application Buddle (it was the 4th choice) and it still asking me for a password.

I just baught a new generation Inspiron 1525, what do you need from me, how can I help?

current config:

iATKOSv1.0i 10.5.1

Bluetooth - Working

Camera - Working

Sigmatel 9228 Sound - Not working

88E8040 Marvell Yukon - Notworking

Wireless Dell 1395 - Not Working

hmm, I made the changes, I then saved it as Application Buddle (it was the 4th choice) and it still asking me for a password.
EDIT: Sorry, you need to write that each time before "with administrator privileges"; i forgot that shutdown needs also pass. Look my first answer.

I just baught a new generation Inspiron 1525, what do you need from me, how can I help?
Try the installer and give a feedback (see first post) -_-
Alright it working now :) How do you change the icon in OSX? I totally forgot (used old MacOS 7 last decade)
+i on desired, copy and past icon on left top corner.

I deleted my post because now the problem is back (grr). Just shutted down and after 3 mins it was still hanging. Then I retried again and it shutted down fine.

Don't know what's going on. Maybe because I wake from sleep the computer before shutting it down.

EDIT: yep, I just did it again, the shutdown problem still reoccur when I come back from a sleep. It doesn't after a cold boot.

I deleted my post because now the problem is back (grr). Just shutted down and after 3 mins it was still hanging. Then I retried again and it shutted down fine.

Don't know what's going on. Maybe because I wake from sleep the computer before shutting it down.

Try scripts with "Halt" and dependencies.

EDIT: Try also this:

on run
do shell script "shutdown -h now" with administrator privileges
end run

It not working. I removed the nvinject kext drivers and I rebooted as diagnostic mode (-v). If I shutdown without sleep, diagnostic runs fine, shut down properly. If I go to sleep and shut down after wake, diagnostic message a Kernel Panic:

img1075of6.jpg

looks like it the audio controler's fault.

on the last script, try to replace NVDAResman.kext by AppleHDA.kext. If it don't work, try all of them :)

on run
do shell script "shutdown -h now" with administrator privileges
end run

or

on run
do shell script "halt" with administrator privileges
end run

Sorry, but my knowledges are limited, and i can't make tests, so i can't do more...

Ok, I'm running on another problem...

After moving the all the video drivers in singlemode (/movevideodrivers - yes to all) I am no longer able to reinstall your video drivers. I am not really sure why.

EDIT: I got it fixed but I'm running more and more into problems on the way. Doing a reinstall ATM, and try to figure the problems by the root and search why it happening.

EDIT2: The more I advance, the more I find flaws in the drivers lol... I discovered, that when I try a diagnostic boot, the machine won't wake up after a sleep when the nvinject are installed. Took me a while to realize this. I can live with that since I don't -v all the time. But it will be hard to discover further flaws after a sleep session if I have to.

EDIT3: Well no luck, I tried all the way you suggested Sonotone, in the end I tried them with no video drivers installed again and realized that I still have KP related to the AppleHDAControler even if I added the unloadkext to the AppleHDA.

When I manually try to sudo unload the AppleHDA kext in the terminal, it fail. is it possible to force unload ?

Hey guys, the HDA problem is perhaps because I don't use the proper audio drivers?? I looked for the problem about the KP error message (AppleHDAControler registry corrupted) and it leaded me to be a bug in the Taruga patcher 1.20, or what it looking to be.

Look at this:

I have searched for my audio device which is Vendor: 8384 Dev: 7690. I did not have a concrete answer to know which Sigmatel model it is. My researches lead me to the best of my knowledge Sigmatel 9220 (I was installing the Generic 9200 all that time).

So I made a try with the Drivers for Sigmatel 9200 Inspiron 9400 -

At first I did not get a single sound, but after playing with the sound control panel I could get sound on another internal speaker. I don't know if the sound quality remain untouched but it seemed to be a lot louder. Anyway, so after that I made my usual shutdown/sleep/shutdown operations and guest what... everythings worked perfectly! Even without script. So I have my alternative right here for now. Will test the other drivers if I come up with a better alternative.

But my initial guess was indeed to be something with the audio drivers and not the graphic one!

EDIT: Using the 9200 Drivers from Inspiron is definitely the best option. Everything works except now I lose the headphone capability, but I think this is the general issue ATM right?

EDIT: Using the 9200 Drivers from Inspiron is definitely the best option. Everything works except now I lose the headphone capability, but I think this is the general issue ATM right?

Yes, it's a general issue. You have louder sound because this patch allow you separate audio control of subwoofer and speakers. You need to check audio-midi control panel to set correctly levels and outputs.