Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

macgirl at Apr 15 2008, 07:19 PM<br /><br />......on my dell xps m1330, started up in safe mode (for some reason, this is the only mode i can load osx in) and installed the 2 finger scroll and battery package. restarted and upon restart, osx would no longer load. it just gave me the grey apple loading screen and then a circle with a line through it above that after about a minute. had to uninstall and reinstall osx....."<br /><br />**************I have the same exprience: I installed some of the items of this installer but it ruined my MACOsX-Kaliway 10.5 installation on my Dell inspiron 9400. I restarted with the Kaliway disk and used disk utility to repair permissions. That seemed to work but: no reboot is possible. Is there a way te uninstall this package or tp go back to a working system or repair the installation??<br />Or is the best and fasted way to restart the installation again from zero?

macgirl at Apr 15 2008, 07:19 PM

......on my dell xps m1330, started up in safe mode (for some reason, this is the only mode i can load osx in) and installed the 2 finger scroll and battery package. restarted and upon restart, osx would no longer load. it just gave me the grey apple loading screen and then a circle with a line through it above that after about a minute. had to uninstall and reinstall osx....."<br /><br />I installed some of the items of this installer but it ruined my MACOsX-Kaliway 10.5 installation on my Dell inspiron 9400. I restarted with the Kaliway disk and used disk utility to repair permissions. That seemed to work but: no reboot is possible. Is there a way te uninstall this package or tp go back to a working system or repair the installation??<br />Or is the best and fasted way to restart the installation again from zero?

All olds kexts are backed-up in /DellLaptops/backup.

You can run in single user (take a look in the forum for this) and restore them.

But i need more details about your configuration, your message error during boot, and what did you choose in my package. I'm also a 9400 owner and make many test with this installer, and never crash my system. If you're nor running with a 10.5.2, you may have troubles with battery meter (appleacpiplatform.kext is only compatible with 10.5.2)

I do have Kalyway 10.5.1 so that (battery meter) could be the cause.<br /><br />configuration: Dell 9400 Bios A09 - 1.83 MHz - 2 GB Ram - Ati 1400X graphics - Internal Empty SATA disk 160 GB <br />Booting results in endless waiting at the boot screen (grey with rotating circle).<br />Booting with option -s gives no further information because it stops without describing an error:<br />Mac Framework succesfully initialised, using xxx buffers and than it stops<br /><br />

Hallo Sonotone,

thanks for this idea.

I installed the build  0.2.3b, and after restart i get the error message "System extension cannot be used"; The system extension "/System/Library/Extesnsions/ATIRAdeonX1000.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contat the product´s vendor for an update.

And my Quarty Exterme is not supported

My setup is:

Dell inspiron 6400 + kalyway 10.5.2 + kernel (i don´t remember the name, was the secon option, the one for laptops)

-Cpu: Intel T7200....................= working (cpus=1 )

-Graphic:ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 ..= working but WITHOUT QE, I need help for that

-sound: Sigmatel 9200...........= working (AppleHda patcher)

-Usb/Firewire...........................= working (out of the box)

-Ethernet:.....= working

hello Kilo77

only 4:3 , not 16:9 .

My Dell inspiron 9400 laptop has AtiX1400 and bios A09 with native widescreen of 1440x900 pixels. I used Kalyway 10.5.1 installation (cpus=1 ;) ); I tried all video solutions of this OSx86 forum but nothing works: MacOs has 1152x864 (4:3) and no widescreen!

just wanted to see if this will or has supported this system. if you are not sure , it is fine. just that i have had issues with the newest releases. last one 10.52 did not even register as a bootable dvd. never had that prob before. all tiger worked.

here is my system. If you need a tester on this one i will do it as well.

DELL XPS M170 (LAPTOP)

Intel Pentium M 760 (2GHz) Mobile Processor

533MHz FSB, Intel 915PM Chipset.SSE2

Expansion Ports 1 x IEEE 1394a (FireWire), VGA out, RJ-11 (modem), RJ-45 (NIC), S-Video out, DVI (Digital Video Interface), 6 x USB 2.0

Display: 17 inch True Life Widescreen UXGA

Hard Drive 80GB Hitachi Ultra ATA 7200 RPM

Sound: SigmaTel C-Major Audio

Memory2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz

video: Nvidia GeForce GO 6800 Ultra with 256MB Memory

Network: Wireless- Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection

Network: NIC Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller

------------------------------------------------

OS'S INSTALLED

Opensuse 10.3 current

Windows XP current

Debian 4 current

Freebsd 4.4 LITE (1994) - 7 (2008) NOT CURRENTLY INSTALLED

Solaris 8 - 10

OSX TIGER 10.4-10.49

LEOPARD 10.5.1-10.5.2 (COMBO UPDATE ONLY)

just wanted to see if this will or has supported this system. if you are not sure , it is fine. just that i have had issues with the newest releases. last one 10.52 did not even register as a bootable dvd. never had that prob before. all tiger worked.

here is my system. If you need a tester on this one i will do it as well.

DELL XPS M170 (LAPTOP)

Intel Pentium M 760 (2GHz) Mobile Processor

533MHz FSB, Intel 915PM Chipset.SSE2

Expansion Ports 1 x IEEE 1394a (FireWire), VGA out, RJ-11 (modem), RJ-45 (NIC), S-Video out, DVI (Digital Video Interface), 6 x USB 2.0

Display: 17 inch True Life Widescreen UXGA

Hard Drive 80GB Hitachi Ultra ATA 7200 RPM

Sound: SigmaTel C-Major Audio

Memory2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz

video: Nvidia GeForce GO 6800 Ultra with 256MB Memory

Network: Wireless- Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection

Network: NIC Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller

------------------------------------------------

OS'S INSTALLED

Opensuse 10.3 current

Windows XP current

Debian 4 current

Freebsd 4.4 LITE (1994) - 7 (2008) NOT CURRENTLY INSTALLED

Solaris 8 - 10

OSX TIGER 10.4-10.49

LEOPARD 10.5.1-10.5.2 (COMBO UPDATE ONLY),

partialy, yes.

anything in this package that can get both cores working? Or are Dell owners pretty much stuck with a laptop that runs at 50%?

There is many things inside this package, like a ton of love, but nothing for your request.

Hallo Sonotone,

thanks for this idea.

I installed the build 0.2.3b, and after restart i get the error message "System extension cannot be used"; The system extension "/System/Library/Extesnsions/ATIRAdeonX1000.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contat the product´s vendor for an update.

And my Quarty Exterme is not supported

Ok, i will fix it soon; thanks for the feeback.

E1705 9400 2.0 core duo gma950

Everything installed fine except the smbios from netkas caused my kalyway 10.5.2 with Vanilla Kernel to crash.

Dell 1390 wireless does not function with IONetworkingFamily from 10.5.2 may I suggest a fix in a future package for this?

See here for more info about my problem and the solution

Also the mouse started to act very weird after install (it will just decide to scrool when I move my finger just a tiny bit) tried to do what your guide says to fix it but it didn't do anything. Maybe I need to replace the touchpad kext with an older one?

E1705 Core 2 Duo 2ghz, Leo4All v3.

STAC9200 in package did not work. Controls appear but no sound. AppleHDA 1.20 plus the STAC9200.txt over at that site with the dumps fixed it (mute only turns on, have to adjust volume to un-mute)

The 2-finger scrolling thing didn't work out so well. I did figure out on my own that it's pressure-sensitive, but only seems to work for me with one finger pressed kinda hard. It did mess up double-tap sensitivity ; ;

E1705 Core 2 Duo 2ghz, Leo4All v3.

STAC9200 in package did not work. Controls appear but no sound. AppleHDA 1.20 plus the STAC9200.txt over at that site with the dumps fixed it (mute only turns on, have to adjust volume to un-mute)

The 2-finger scrolling thing didn't work out so well. I did figure out on my own that it's pressure-sensitive, but only seems to work for me with one finger pressed kinda hard. It did mess up double-tap sensitivity ; ;

I had the issue that no audio source was selected after installing the package, may be the same with you (probably is if you saw the controls), go into system preferences then audio and change the audio control to the master one and it will work. Infact with this kext you control the subwoofer and mid-highs seperately, but you can adjust the buttons for this in butler.

:)

Is there any possibility that you can develop a driver for Yukon Ethernet?

Connection rate by Airport is really slow....

Thanks in tons!

+1! :D waiting for a 88E8040 driver!!

We appreciated you great work!! :P

Installatie Leopard Kalyway 10.5.1 : KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3.zip.

System: Dell 9400 Bios A09 - 1.83 MHz - 2 GB Ram - Ati 1400X graphics - Internal Empty SATA disk 160 GB.

Custom install: choose * 1+2 Vanilla, *SSE2 and *boot efi MBR (no video or audio!).

Just after fresh installation I installed KalywayIntelCombo10.5.2.zip.

I 've installed: ati 1400 (1440*900 pixels), Sigmatel 9200 for Dell 9400, Power: battery meter; Broadcom 440x ans 2 finger scrolling.

Rebooting resulted in a non - booting system :) .

I saw no way to uninstall this Kalyway-IntelCombo-update and had to reinstall the KAlyway 10.5.1 again.

Hullo, could you maybe add Dell 1525 to the list? I'm using the (dreaded) GMA X3100 :) Anyway, here's my config:

Install Kalyway 10.5.1, updated to 10.5.2 with Kaly Combo Update

GMA X3100, ONLY works on EXTERNAL monitor. 1680 * 1050 * 32. Full QE/CI (total blank on internal monitor. why won't it run on 1440 * 900 when capable of 1680 is beyond me). Already tried natit.kext but didn't work, don't want to use the sleep trick :(

Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller <VEN_11AB&DEV_4354> (couldn't find any kext on the forum yet)

After editing IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist, the Ethernet was detected!!! Success was short lived - status shows "Ethernet cable not plugged in" regardless of it connected or not :( Profiler shows ethernet is present complete with IP address, but I couldn't access my router 192.168... so the NIC is still not properly initialized.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=93773&st=0

a group of 1525 useres with lots of sucess

Single user mode saved my life many times now, after (really) countless of erase and installs of Leopard, I really loathe GMA X3100

E1705 9400 2.0 core duo gma950

Everything installed fine except the smbios from netkas caused my kalyway 10.5.2 with Vanilla Kernel to crash.

Dell 1390 wireless does not function with IONetworkingFamily from 10.5.2 may I suggest a fix in a future package for this?

Also the mouse started to act very weird after install (it will just decide to scrool when I move my finger just a tiny bit) tried to do what your guide says to fix it but it didn't do anything. Maybe I need to replace the touchpad kext with an older one?

Ok i've included IONetworkingFamily 10.5.1 for your wireless card.

About your touchpad, you should read Ranova's topic, everythings is explain about how to configure it. If you have any success, please, just post your configuration file here.

I can't do anything for you cause it seem's that we don't have same trackpad model.

Same answer. For most computers, just 1-finger scrolling is working.

ok so i still cant get my computer to shut down and restart i have

XPS 1530

T7250 2.0ghz Processor

3gb Ram

8600gt

200 gb hard drive

the other problem is i cant find my trackpad plst to change the settings i need to make it higher like the tutorial says but i cant figure out where it is. everything else is AWESOME all the people that own macs at the studio are so jealous that i only paid 1150 bucks for my MacBook Pro;)

i have a dell inspiron 1720.

lots of you are talking about only haveing 1 core active, when i boot in verbose mode it says 2 logical cpus so im guess both cores are working.

also using this package i got audio working.

when i installed 2 finger scrolling it completely messed up my mouse and am doing a reinstall.

the previous Dell Laptop models (ie Inspirons 6400, 9400, or XPS 1X10) suffer from this issue, with both cores active they have stuttering, with just one active don't.

But in the new generation of Dells (XPS M1X30, Inspirons 1X20 and, Vostros) this is not happenning.

when i installed 2 finger scrolling it completely messed up my mouse and am doing a reinstall.

Your computer model is not specified in the 2-fingers option! And you don't have to reinstall to whole system, just folow links in readme.

Hello I have serious problem after using this Software. I hope that somebady could help me.

I have a Vostro 1700 (T7700, 3GB, 8600 M GT,...) and Kalyway updated to 10.5.2. I just used this installer for: Battery Meter + the first Finger scrolling + media keys enabler.

After a restart...

->Kernel panic :(

"Darwin kernel Version 9.2.0.....

"Unable to find driver for this plateform "ACPI" @/SourceCode/xnu/xnu-1228.3.13/ipkit/kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp: 1407..

I'm very disapointed. Please help me!

Sorry for my bad english.