Download Windows 3.1

~pcwiz

18 posts in this topic

I want to try out Windows 3.1 just for kicks in VMware...I downloaded all the Windows 3.1 files from www.vetusware.com, it was in a ZIP that contained 7 DISK folders (DISK1, DISK2, DISK3, etc.) and each folder contains the individual files for the discs, not a disk image. I need disk images for VMware so I threw the files from DISK1 into an ISO and loaded it up, but it isn't bootable.

How do I make a bootable disc?

EDIT: OK so I think I might have got it. I got images of DOS 6.22 and I installed DOS, now I'm downloading another win31 set and I hope it contains install floppy images to install Windows 3.1. I'll see how it goes, and I'll host it on Mediafire if anyone wants to download it.

EDIT1: Noes. The images I downloaded aren't floppy images. I'm torrenting some images...

EDIT3: Well I found a VMware ready image of Windows 3.1, but its not worth it so I QUIT :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Windows 3.1 ran on top of DOS.

You'll have to install DOS 4,5, or 6 in your VMWare installation before you can run SETUP on the Win31 disk.

Yeah I installed DOS 6.22, just couldn't find the 3.1 files. No need for Windows 3.1 anymore...I was bored that day but now my boredness is gone :( Xeon Quad Man, very true, but if someone *wanted* to make a virus for 3.1 it would be way easier making one for 3.1 than XP or Vista. Just a few DOS commands and you are wiped clean :whistle:

P.S Xeon Quad Man, you copied my idea of using Intel logos as avatars (I had a Pentium D logo as my avatar before) :P j/k but I actually did have a Pentium D logo as my avatar ;)

• 3 months later...

@Meowy: which SVGA driver did you use? I found a "vgapatch.com" program that supposedly patches the svga driver in Windows 3.11 to work with VMWare, but I think it was made for a really old version of VMWare Workstation because when I boot Windows 3.11 with this patched driver it crashes and leaves the boot logo with scrambled graphics.

I got networking running after a lot of fuss. IE 5.0 runs excellent although crashes when you browse certain modern sites.

I have DOS 6.22 + Windows 3.11 (for Workgroups) working perfectly in both VirtualBox and my old Pentium II PC. If you want a copy of my VM, I'll be happy to send it to you.

Even have Wing Commander III (greatest DOS space sim, besides Freelancer) on my Pentium II PC :D

My friend has this theory that Windows 3.1 is really secure from malware nowadays because most of the malware these days is written for newer operating systems such as Windows XP and will not even run on Windows 3.1. It's quite an interesting theory.

That's a bloody interesting theory, and probably in reality nearer the truth...and to think we all keep spending our hard earned cash on new kit that subsequently needs a new OS to run it all :D

I'm not sure that using Windows 3.1 would be an acceptable options nowadays (:P) but the theory is interesting, because what it proves is that as OSes get older, popularity decreases, and they are really immune to the malware of the day. So I guess we all have it wrong, security doesn't increase as new OSes are released, security increases when old OSes are forgotten :lol:

• 5 months later...

Nice attempt, ~pcwiz!

Vista x64 won't work on Fusion so I wanted to try Win3.1. Then I realized that 3.1 isn't an OS and that I'd need DOS to run it so I looked for Win95 instead. Then I realized (again) that Windows 95 still looks and works pretty much like Windows Vista, which removes the novelty factor of retrocomputing.

I've tried Mac OS 9 on SheepShaver (on XP, Vista, and OSx86) and System 7 on vMac and I recommend every MSFT-->AAPL switcher to try it. It gave me a nice, interactive history lesson that no Wiki article could parallel!

There are still a lot of applications (especially for OS9) and games that can be found, through either legal abandonware or torrents. Classic emulation only ended after Tiger and OS9 was killed by Jobs only 4 months before WinXP SP1 was released.

One question I'd like to ask (directed to pre-OS X MacHeads): was the Classic Mac OS more secure than its Windows (3.x, 9x) counterparts?

Note: Anything older than System 7.5.5 is abandonware. Anything newer than that (7.6, 8, 9) is still copyrighted by Apple.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I want to install a cute little utility called Fontminder for Windows. Adobe purchased it during the days of Win98. This utility, Font Minder, used Adobe Type Manager 4.1 to create custom "instances" of Adobe's Multiple Master fonts a then save those instances out to either Windows True Type or Windows Type 1. This way, the problems involved in depending on ATM to remain stable (or, as we now see, even AVAILABLE) to be able to continue using your carefully-wrought instances (for which I, for one, spent hundreds of dollars).

I am running Windows 7, although this is not just a boast of my ability to function in an atmosphere involving an extremely high learning curve (the OS being so patently counter-intuitive while demanding an attitude of wholesale pedantry).

That said, I need to run Windows 95 or 98 (or 98SE) in such a way that I am able to load Adobe Type Manager 4.1 (the pay-for-it version). I have several MS-DOS upgrade diskette sets (and might even have my original 5.25 floppies of MS-DOS 4.01). However, there is an OEM version of 5.x or 6.x in there somewhere. The only question, really, is, can I get the floppies to function after all these years, or, can I at least restore the data onto newer, fully functional copies.

The only real problem to getting up to at least 95 would be in fooling the upgrade versions, as all my OS versions are store-bought. (Remember when Egghead had walk-in stores?)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This brings back some memories...

I still remember the "innovative" procedure we stumbled upon as students to set up the venerable Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

We copied each floppy into a folder named DISK1, DISK2 etc. onto our huge 100 MB hard drive. Then just ran the setup from the first folder and it finds all the rest of the folders itself. We tried this as an experiment one day (before the internet) and it worked, and of course, we were really impressed at how fast it installed compared to inserting all those floppies.

I think we got more kicks out of installing it than using it. Not much has changed I suppose, cause that's basically what I'm doing now with Mac OS. ;)

The zip file the OP downloaded (and the method I've described) is the network install method for deployment across an organisation. I think we used the same method for other floppy releases of the time - Win NT, 95 etc.

EDIT: Just installed it in DOSBox. Now I remember, you gather all the setup files from each disk into a single folder and run setup from there - it doesn't ask for any floppies. BTW it was much easier to setup 3.11 in DOSBox compared to Virtualbox. The big difference is you don't have to use virtual HD and FD images - you just give it a folder on your hard drive and drag stuff in.

I want to try out Windows 3.1 just for kicks in VMware...I downloaded all the Windows 3.1 files from www.vetusware.com, it was in a ZIP that contained 7 DISK folders (DISK1, DISK2, DISK3, etc.) and each folder contains the individual files for the discs, not a disk image. I need disk images for VMware so I threw the files from DISK1 into an ISO and loaded it up, but it isn't bootable.

How do I make a bootable disc?

EDIT: OK so I think I might have got it. I got images of DOS 6.22 and I installed DOS, now I'm downloading another win31 set and I hope it contains install floppy images to install Windows 3.1. I'll see how it goes, and I'll host it on Mediafire if anyone wants to download it.

EDIT1: Noes. The images I downloaded aren't floppy images. I'm torrenting some images...

EDIT3: Well I found a VMware ready image of Windows 3.1, but its not worth it so I QUIT :lol:

I have a Win 3.1 vmware vm, but I think it needs Vmware WS 4 or earlier to use it. Workstation 6 & 7 can't handle the old dsk file.

Win 95 VM now plays with Vmware player 3 on Win 7 (fullscreen 1920x1080). No luck with Win3.1 yet.

I have a working Win98 vm. I have Win95, OS/2, and BeOS CDs.

• 1 month later...
@Meowy: which SVGA driver did you use? I found a "vgapatch.com" program that supposedly patches the svga driver in Windows 3.11 to work with VMWare, but I think it was made for a really old version of VMWare Workstation because when I boot Windows 3.11 with this patched driver it crashes and leaves the boot logo with scrambled graphics.

I got networking running after a lot of fuss. IE 5.0 runs excellent although crashes when you browse certain modern sites.

How did you get the networking working?