AD1984 used in Thinkpad X61 and L61 computers

jacob019

202 posts in this topic

jacob, turbo, taruga, all,

Thanks for this. Your work is greatly appreciated. I can confirm Turbo's 1984 kext is working on a T61p. Could anyone explain what is holding us back from getting the line out working?

Also, small note: I did some research into what my model T61p's sound card is, and it isn't just a 1984, and it's an AD1984HCJ. I don't know if this matters, but who knows...

I spoke too soon. I rebooted and my sound was broken with Turbo's kext. I got it working again now. Here's how:

I install AzaliaAudio using the package (I believe this is from Taruga). Reboot. This gets me the volume slider.

I then use Taruga's ad1986 installer. Reboot. Sound from my speakers works.

Hey there everyone! I recently installed Kalyway 10.5 2 rather than the Leo4All v3, and I finally got my sound working again.

However, I have one question: is my EFI string actually working, or is this kext also performing an injection (like ALCInject would do) so that the sound works?

I'm wondering this so I will know if I am doing that right or not, and if so, then I can work on network driver.

Thanks a boatload!

Mike

ok it still didnt work :thumbsup_anim:

I started from scratch and - installed AzaliaAudio.pkg which had built in installer

rebooted

installed turbos patch using osx86 tools

rebooted

removed /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and appleazaliaaudio.kext (AppleHDA.kext was not in there)

repaired disk permissions

rebooted-

and now I have volume slider working, and I have HD Audio Output in my sound preferences

thanks alot for your help guys

Did you remove the appleazaliaaudio.kext along with appleHDA.kext? Mine didn't work until I removed them the first time.

Zak--

Do you have the internal audio working with 10.5.4 (as opposed to a USB dongle)? I'm afraid to update to 10.5.4 for fear of losing sound and I don't have TimeMachine working yet.

Mike

working for my t61 on a kalyway 10.5.2 vanilla kernel.. no upgrades

although in my system profiler it doesn't see the card:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x17AA20AC

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

headphone jack not working

Zak--

Do you have the internal audio working with 10.5.4 (as opposed to a USB dongle)? I'm afraid to update to 10.5.4 for fear of losing sound and I don't have TimeMachine working yet.

Mike

I only have output via the internal speakers. This has been the same through all updates I have performed. However, after 10.5.4 I did have to reinstall the sound kext, and edit my sound kext. I'm pretty sure those were the only issues I had. I still need USB soundcard for line out/in.

I only have output via the internal speakers. This has been the same through all updates I have performed. However, after 10.5.4 I did have to reinstall the sound kext, and edit my sound kext. I'm pretty sure those were the only issues I had. I still need USB soundcard for line out/in.

Zak--

Hmm... I must have missed something here. I lost my sound two days ago, and I have no idea why. I even reinstalled the Turbo kext, replaced permissions, verified my EFI strings, and it still isn't working. It appears in Dmesg to attempt to load it, but must fail along the way.

So, what was the edit to the kext that you needed to perform? Maybe that's my issue as well. But, now I'm also having other issues as I have now lost my video on boot. I added my device ID to the NV...50 and RESMAN kexts and nothing happened. Several reboots later over a span of several days, I saw a flash of the screen on boot and said "oh S***" and then it went black. I booted using safe mode, and watched as it eventually said something about NVDA probing... UGH.

So, I think I'm going to rebuild with Kalyway 10.5.2 again and upgrade to 10.5.4 since you report sound functioning. Wouldn't it be nice if my t61p had the x3100 video? ;-)

Thanks for your assistance. I'm off to find out why TimeMachine doesn't work either. ARGH.

Mike

Zak--

Hmm... I must have missed something here. I lost my sound two days ago, and I have no idea why. I even reinstalled the Turbo kext, replaced permissions, verified my EFI strings, and it still isn't working. It appears in Dmesg to attempt to load it, but must fail along the way.

So, what was the edit to the kext that you needed to perform? Maybe that's my issue as well. But, now I'm also having other issues as I have now lost my video on boot. I added my device ID to the NV...50 and RESMAN kexts and nothing happened. Several reboots later over a span of several days, I saw a flash of the screen on boot and said "oh S***" and then it went black. I booted using safe mode, and watched as it eventually said something about NVDA probing... UGH.

So, I think I'm going to rebuild with Kalyway 10.5.2 again and upgrade to 10.5.4 since you report sound functioning. Wouldn't it be nice if my t61p had the x3100 video? ;-)

Thanks for your assistance. I'm off to find out why TimeMachine doesn't work either. ARGH.

Mike

ahh.. I made a typo in that reply.."However, after 10.5.4 I did have to reinstall the sound kext, and edit my sound kext." I meant to say the the wireless kext (IO80211FAMILY.kext). I didn't mess with Turbo's kext. Did you make sure to delee appleHDA.kext? Mine wouldn't work until doing so. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what is going on. I've been following this thread and haven't seen any major problems. Would still like to know why it randomly quits working though...About time machine..mine wouldn't work with my external hdd..It gave me an error like "usb device not supported" or something. I googled the error with time machine, and it yielded some commands to type into terminal. I don't really remember what they were (I was in a big hurry at the time). I can't seem to find it on google right now, but you should be able to find it. That fixed mine anyway.

R61 Audio working now. Yee Haa!!!!!

delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext.

Copy the new kext to /System/Library/Extensions/

Then repair permissions with "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext"

and "sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext". Reboot and viola.

that was all i had to do. Unbelievable.

Now we will see if it stays working.

R61 Audio working now. Yee Haa!!!!!

delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext.

Copy the new kext to /System/Library/Extensions/

Then repair permissions with "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext"

and "sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext". Reboot and viola.

that was all i had to do. Unbelievable.

Now we will see if it stays working.

Good for you.

If you can, donate to Turbo.

He's working to get the entire line 61 of lenovo working with mac

http://0xfeedbeef.com/osx86/

I have a lenovo T61 with the AD1984 sound. I have tried the kext from Turbo's site and although my volume buttons work, and does the slider on the menu bar, I still have no sound output. I have tried removing the appleHDA.kext like some have done and still nothing. In my Sound Preference Panel I have "Play alerts and sound effect throught:" and the drop down box is greyed out but it shows HD Audio Output. In my System Profiler is only shows the Intel High Definition AUdio: device ID 0x17AA20AC line.

Can anyone help me out?

I found out something on my machine.

I'm running Kalyway 10.5.2 with the kalyway 10.5.3 ComboUpdate on a T61 with Intel Graphics and a Thinkpad Wireless.

The sound was working perfectly fine with Turbo's driver, until tonight. Tonight I booted, but there was no sound. I rebooted and still the same.

I had the machine plugged into the AC when I booted, which is not something I usually do, so I unplugged the unit and rebooted off the battery. Sound worked again. Once booted, I can plug the AC back in and it still works.

The only other driver I have installed is the PowerManagement_137_1.bundle.tar.gz

Very strange, but hopefully helpful.

Major loss of sound now. I just installed a dual boot of xp and mac os x 10.5.4 (from time machine restore), and everything worked fine. Sound worked in os x right after and everything. Then, I installed all of the drivers on my xp partition, and now I don't even have the volume icon up by the date. A few times I did manage to get the volume slider to work when turning the volume up and down, but nothing that usually fixes this has worked. In my audio/midi setup pane it shows up as unknown device. Any ideas?

EDIT: After booting cold and installing azalia, removing then installing turbo kext all while on battery; everything worked. Weird stuff.

I think it comes from the fact that our devices are plug-and-play and sometimes Windows changes the settings on the device and then Mac doesn't understand the settings OR the previous settings are cached and it doesn't update them. Remember, Mac uses same settings when booting from hardware it already discovered, so it boots faster. It's a great concept that gets destroyed by plug-and-play (or the fact that Windows messes with the settings on the device). This used to be a big problem for plug-and-play devices that were used for both Windows and DOS back in the day. The DOS settings were established, Windows would change them and then the device would no longer work in DOS.

I have had this problem as well, and I now have even a bigger problem. I cannot run a vanilla 10.5.2 kernel to save my life. So, I'm stuck.

UGH.

Hmm, I used to have the exact same problem with a ralink wireless card on an everex. I wrote a little applescript to delete the kextcache files every time the computer booted up. Solved the problem and only added a few seconds to boot time. From what I've heard around here though, deleting the kext cache files doesn't help.

I didn't digg much but I lost as well my sound after I reinstalled a fresh 10.5.4 release. Turbo's kext used to work fine for 10.5.4 upgraded from 10.5.2 kalyway install but not for a 10.5.4 new release. I'll post when I'll find the answer, perhaps some kexts from 10.5.2 should be conserved.

EDIT: Turbo's kext works with a fresh iDeneb 10.5.4 installation on my T61. AppleHDA kext is missing in this distribution and I attached all Audio related kexts that might help you. For nonworking distributions, try to remove AppleHDA.kext or AppleIntelHDA.kext (I don't remember exactly the name), install Turbo's kext and attached kexts.

AppleOnboardAudio.kext.zip

AppleUSBAudio.kext.zip

AudioDeviceTreeUpdater.kext.zip

AudioIPCDriver.kext.zip

VirtualAudioDriver.kext.zip

Apple02Audio.kext.zip

I think it comes from the fact that our devices are plug-and-play and sometimes Windows changes the settings on the device and then Mac doesn't understand the settings OR the previous settings are cached and it doesn't update them. Remember, Mac uses same settings when booting from hardware it already discovered, so it boots faster. It's a great concept that gets destroyed by plug-and-play (or the fact that Windows messes with the settings on the device). This used to be a big problem for plug-and-play devices that were used for both Windows and DOS back in the day. The DOS settings were established, Windows would change them and then the device would no longer work in DOS.

I have had this problem as well, and I now have even a bigger problem. I cannot run a vanilla 10.5.2 kernel to save my life. So, I'm stuck.

UGH.

Well, I was using OS X as a standalone OS on this laptop until a few days ago, and I've had the problem before and after setting up the dual boot. I saw where T U R B O was working on it though. I'm still able to recover it every time it does it. Kind of a pain though.