AD1984 used in Thinkpad X61 and L61 computers

jacob019

202 posts in this topic

Could you clarify? Does the headphone jack work?

nope, speaker only.

For the post above this: sound almost works on T61, if you install iDeneb 10.5.4 (don't choose any audio driver) then install turbo's kext, you will have sound on laptop's speakers only (no headphone output).

• 1 month later...

I am (nearly ) a noob in this area - followed the suggestions give by all . Mananged to get sound on my T61P (Finally! ).

Many Thanks to Turbo and all others.

To other noobs - you may wish to usea freeware Kext helper .

It automates the installation process , though you will still need to manually remove the conflicting files :-

AppleHDA.kext or AppleIntelHDA.kext (I don't remember exactly the name),

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilit...xt-Helper.shtml

I think I spoke too soon. I just lost my sound thrice .

I had successfully installed Turbo's driver from http://0xfeedbeef.com/osx86/ as per my post above .

It worked pretty well (speaker output only) for a couple of times. Then it died . I checked the kext , Azaila was still there .

After reinstalling - it seems to work for a few times - then dies. No Sound and no volume control.

I'm using Kalyway 10.54 - Plain Vanilla Kernel on a dual boot XP + OS X T61p.

Only possibility I can think of is my booting to XP every now and then (for work) which causes this pain . Very strange .

Any ideas ?

I had this problem also (and I can't explain it) but after I installed IntelEnhancedSpeedstep.kext and a PowerManagementBundle driver (I don't remember which one) it started to be stable.

I think the trick is the order the kexts are loaded so you have to find a lucky combination that makes (by fortune) AzaliaTurbo load at proper time.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a lenovo T61 with the AD1984 sound. I have tried the kext from Turbo's site and although my volume buttons work, and does the slider on the menu bar, I still have no sound output. I have tried removing the appleHDA.kext like some have done and still nothing. In my Sound Preference Panel I have "Play alerts and sound effect throught:" and the drop down box is greyed out but it shows HD Audio Output. In my System Profiler is only shows the Intel High Definition AUdio: device ID 0x17AA20AC line.

Can anyone help me out?

Zubi, Were you able to solve your problem? I have the same issue with my T61. Long ago, I was able to make sound work but I have since clean installed and it doesn't work. I have slider, the speakers crackle during boot but no sound. I followed the instructions to the tee..

One thing I noticed was that in addition to AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and AppleHDA.kext, I had to remove AppleAC97Audio.kext as well to make AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext load properly. Is that the issue?? Maybe Taruga's AD1986 patch will help somehow but I cannot find it anywhere. Can someone post that?

Anyone help?

Thanks.

Hi everybody!

I had a problem with my t61 and azalia audio driver. Let me explain, how i fixed it.

I followed the procedure to install azalia driver from turbo (Install AzaliaAudio.pkg, then delete AppleAzaliaAudio.kext), nevertheless the sound didn't work and continued receiving the "link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext" message.

Then i realized in the console appeared a message like this: "AzaliaAudio class is duplicate". I went to the system profiler and looked into software/extension, then i saw 2 extensions, the first one pointing to "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAc97Audio.kext", and the second extension pointing to "/System/Library/Extensions/AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext" bingo! this was the problem. Then I deleted "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAc97Audio.kext" file and restarted the system, after that, the audio worked from speakers.

I hope this message can help you.

Thank's turbo and others for your support and comments. Great Job!

Iatkos 4.1i

Thinkpad T61

• 1 month later...

Hello, will someone please provide a working link or attach file AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext. The links to Turbo's page in this thread result in error.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /osx86/ on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.7l DAV/2 PHP/5.2.6 Server at 0xfeedbeef.com Port 80

Hello, will someone please provide a working link or attach file AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext. The links to Turbo's page in this thread result in error.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /osx86/ on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.7l DAV/2 PHP/5.2.6 Server at 0xfeedbeef.com Port 80

The AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext can be found as an attached file in this post.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay ladies, I think I may have solved it, but don't crucify me if it doesn't work. I explored System Information and found that the AzaliaTurboTP1984 kext was not loading when I lost sound. And then looking at all the other kexts, AppleAzaliaAudio in particular, I found that AzaliaTurboTP1984 was missing a file version.plist. To test it out properly, I uninstalled both of the kexts mentioned here, and found that the audio was, obviously, gone. I then installed the original AzaliaTurboTP1984 kext, and it still didn't work. Then I added the version.plist file, with the appropriate modification, and installed it again (after having removed the original AzaliaTurboTP1984 kext and rebooting.)

And now it works. I've uploaded the file, and you can see by opening the package contents that the only difference is the existance of version.plist. I think that's the problem we've overlooked the whole time (it probably prevented Mac from loading the kext consistantly!)

That's my two cents. Let me know if it works!

AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext.zip

Okay ladies, I think I may have solved it, but don't crucify me if it doesn't work. I explored System Information and found that the AzaliaTurboTP1984 kext was not loading when I lost sound. And then looking at all the other kexts, AppleAzaliaAudio in particular, I found that AzaliaTurboTP1984 was missing a file version.plist. To test it out properly, I uninstalled both of the kexts mentioned here, and found that the audio was, obviously, gone. I then installed the original AzaliaTurboTP1984 kext, and it still didn't work. Then I added the version.plist file, with the appropriate modification, and installed it again (after having removed the original AzaliaTurboTP1984 kext and rebooting.)

And now it works. I've uploaded the file, and you can see by opening the package contents that the only difference is the existance of version.plist. I think that's the problem we've overlooked the whole time (it probably prevented Mac from loading the kext consistantly!)

Can you confirm that you are not loosing sound any more

Thank 's

Do you mean me, or everyone who tries it? Mine is still working fine, and that's with multiple restarts into Windows XP and back (don't know why, but Torrents on XP are so much quicker!) I would like to know if it's working for others as well!

I think the easiest way to test it is how I did it, but make sure you've removed AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, because it will clash with you AzaliaTurbo kext! And I used Extensions-Repair to fix up the permissions.

I'm trying this kext on my T61 and it seems to work well.

But we still fighting for the audio out jack.

I'm trying this kext on my T61 and it seems to work well.

But we still fighting for the audio out jack.

Well, I wasn't trying to solve the output jack, simply making the kext more stable. I'm obviously not a programmer, so I'll leave that magic to you guys!

• 1 month later...

I have figured out how to get audio working perfectly with my AD1984 sound card (in OS X 10.5.6)! I can vouch that this works for my R61(i) system (7732) and my friend's T61 system. However, the audio out jack does not work but I am very close to figuring that problem out too, as I can get intermittent audio coming from it. So far, I have not tested audio input capabilities. Remember: it is always a good idea to back up the kexts being modified.

To start, remove all of the following kexts from the /System/Library/Extentions folder:

AppleHDA.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleAC97.kext

AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext

Some of these kexts may not be present if you have never attempted to use audio before. After you remove these kexts, delete Extentions.mkext in /System/Library. Then, restart the PC.

After your computer has rebooted, use Kext Helper to install boneyfish's AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext file listed a couple of posts above (#162). Reboot once more, and once the computer has loaded fully you should have sound coming from your speakers!

I have figured out how to get audio working perfectly with my AD1984 sound card (in OS X 10.5.6)! I can vouch that this works for my R61(i) system (7732) and my friend's T61 system. However, the audio out jack does not work but I am very close to figuring that problem out too, as I can get intermittent audio coming from it. So far, I have not tested audio input capabilities. Remember: it is always a good idea to back up the kexts being modified.

To start, remove all of the following kexts from the /System/Library/Extentions folder:

AppleHDA.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleAC97.kext

AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext

Some of these kexts may not be present if you have never attempted to use audio before. After you remove these kexts, delete Extentions.mkext in /System/Library. Then, restart the PC.

After your computer has rebooted, use Kext Helper to install boneyfish's AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext file listed a couple of posts above (#162). Reboot once more, and once the computer has loaded fully you should have sound coming from your speakers!

I've fixed everything for 10.5.6 already, I just really wish my line out/headphone jack worked.. everything else on my R61 7732 is perfect.

Unfortunately with those very same steps I'm unable to have sound after rebooting.

I removed all the kexts, deleted the cache, rebooted, installed with kext heper, and actually I get sound after installing it, but before rebooting. Once I reboot, it's gone.

Any hint towards what to check? I'm no noob at this so give me your best shot no matter how complicated.

AppleHDA.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleAC97.kext

AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext

I have just tried the solution and it works great. Same machine specification. Just want to let you know you have to use the functional keys on the keyboard to increase the volume of the sound. Apparently the system volume setting is independent of the sound volume used in OSX.

Thanks boneyfish and everyone here.

Method worked. Sound still there after reboot , hibernate and system update.

Machine is a Lenovo X61t.

Output Jack not working.

This really would be nice.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Happy so far :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello and welcome to everyone. This is my first post in this forum. It has been an immense source of knowledge for getting the iPC 10.5.6 up and working on my Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Widescreen.

As for many, the AD1984 HD Audio Codec has been a real PITA to get working.

Currently I am that far, that I have Internal speakers, Headphone-, SPDIF-out and Mic In working.

What I have failed to get working is the internal mic.

I am using the iPC 10.5.6 installation, EFI and AppleHDA.kext with modded plists inside.

The breakthrough came after reading chapter 4 of Intel book titled "High Definition Audio for the Digital Home Proven Techniques for Getting It Right the First Time". Upon little searching you'll find an electronic copy in the web.

That chapter copies most of the HDA spec document but in a more readable form. Also it was the only one to explain the importance and conventions of the pin configuration parameters "Default Association" and "Sequence".

The pin config defaults from Vista are 100% from this book. And that is the problem under Leopard, as it does not seem to like pin configs where multiple pins share the same Def. Association number.

Therefore I modded the pin config defaults in AppleHDAController.kext's Info.plist and created a Layout and Pathmap in AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext's Info.plist

Although the internal mic on T61 should be analog (not digital) and connected to port C (pin 0x15), the path setup (0x09 <- 0x0D <- 0x15) is 100% analogous to external mic, neither do I get level slider for it, nor comes any sound through. I'd be delighted to get more details about the physical setup of this mic on T61.

To get the AD1984 ID correctly showed up in System Profiler and IO Registry, the EFI needs to be set up as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b,0x0)</key>
<dict>
	<key>PinConfigurations</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>built-in</key>
	<string>0x00</string>
	<key>layout-id</key>
	<string>0x0000000a</string>
	<key>revision-id</key>
	<string>0x00000001</string>
	<key>subsystem-id</key>
	<string>0x00001984</string>
	<key>subsystem-vendor-id</key>
	<string>0x000011d4</string>
	<key>vendor-id</key>
	<string>0x00008086</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Pay attention to rather bizarre and misleading use of keys "subsystem-id", "subsystem-vendor-id" and "vendor-id".

And here's the AppleHDA, feel free to try it out!

AppleHDA.kext.zip