AD1984 used in Thinkpad X61 and L61 computers

jacob019

202 posts in this topic

Yes...removing the mkext did not help. Following above process seems to fix issue for now. 4 reboots later...still going.

Have other issues outstanding and working on, battery monitor, e1000 and no instant use of usb ports (needing reboot with device in usb to use...interesting).

Yes...removing the mkext did not help. Following above process seems to fix issue for now. 4 reboots later...still going.

Have other issues outstanding and working on, battery monitor, e1000 and no instant use of usb ports (needing reboot with device in usb to use...interesting).

Did you try that usb device installer patch on this forum? You may be lucky,and have that work for you. My usb ports quit recognizing after the sound went out the first time, but I just restored and everything has been ok after reloading the sound. I've rebooted probably 10-15 times since the "re-do".

X61s with 10.5.4 working.

You have to:

1.- Install Azalia Audio

2.- Install Azalia Turbo 1984 kext (use B7 or OSX86 Tools)

3.- Remove AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from /System/Library/Extension

I really really thanks for it...

X61s is the best and small Mac ever.... Let's wait for the Intel 3945 driver and it will be heaven.

Regards

Thanks everybody. Finally, I got the sound on my laptop, T61 using Kalyway OS X 10.5.2 vanilla kernel.

However, the sound from earjack does not work. Does anybody have the same problem in T61?

Plz, help me solve this problem.

Thanks.

I believe we all do. That is what folks are working now. We all can get sound out of the laptop speakers but for line in/out/mic to work some additional work is required. BTW I too have a T61. What I need to get working is the ethernet adapter, not becuz I need it for connectivity but I don't believe Time Machine will work without working ethernet (en0).

Thanks everybody. Finally, I got the sound on my laptop, T61 using Kalyway OS X 10.5.2 vanilla kernel.

However, the sound from earjack does not work. Does anybody have the same problem in T61?

Plz, help me solve this problem.

Thanks.

I believe we all do. That is what folks are working now. We all can get sound out of the laptop speakers but for line in/out/mic to work some additional work is required. BTW I too have a T61. What I need to get working is the ethernet adapter, not becuz I need it for connectivity but I don't believe Time Machine will work without working ethernet (en0).

Thank jeffjank33,

I thought this problem was my own one. Now it's clear.

Anyway, I am also waiting somebody completes the workable driver for 3945.

If it is not possible or take long time, I will buy the atheros wireless card, which has good performance and no problem in hackintosh.

Finally, I hope Time Machine be operated in my machine.

Thanks.

It's so nice to see these things being discussed. It seems sound was the big hurdle, the rest is just tweaking. I can't imaging why ethernet would be needed for time machine. Perhaps you could find a dummy driver, have you tried it with usb ethernet? I find that audio outputs aren't necessary because I use a usb audio device. Native ethernet would be nice; audio out would be gravy. The next items on my hit list are backlight control, then speedstep; both would help with battery life, and the backlight control is nice in bed. Shades just isn't the same. I had to reinstall sound at one point just like everyone else, but that was a few days after the driver was released and it's been working flawlessly since; I was ready to sell this thing, now I just upgraded to 4gb of ram, and I couldn't be happier; I don't even have windows installed. Hooray for Turbo, and I think we all sometimes forget the company that really makes it all possible, Apple. So go buy a Mac; they're fully supported and awesome too.

terryterry, get the atheros card; you need it; regardless of ethernet a laptop needs wireless, they don't cost so much on ebay. The install is surprisingly simple.

yea... You shouldn't need Ethernet for time machine... I forget what I had to do, but I googled the error it gave me " unable to find backup drive" and that gave me the commands for terminal to fix that issue. I've been using time machine religiously on my T61. Make sure you find the bootefi file made by ccg that you can use to reload the bootloader after a restore though. Good luck!

It's so nice to see these things being discussed. It seems sound was the big hurdle, the rest is just tweaking. I can't imaging why ethernet would be needed for time machine. Perhaps you could find a dummy driver, have you tried it with usb ethernet? I find that audio outputs aren't necessary because I use a usb audio device. Native ethernet would be nice; audio out would be gravy. The next items on my hit list are backlight control, then speedstep; both would help with battery life, and the backlight control is nice in bed. Shades just isn't the same. I had to reinstall sound at one point just like everyone else, but that was a few days after the driver was released and it's been working flawlessly since; I was ready to sell this thing, now I just upgraded to 4gb of ram, and I couldn't be happier; I don't even have windows installed. Hooray for Turbo, and I think we all sometimes forget the company that really makes it all possible, Apple. So go buy a Mac; they're fully supported and awesome too.terryterry, get the atheros card; you need it; regardless of ethernet a laptop needs wireless, they don't cost so much on ebay. The install is surprisingly simple.
have you tried coolbook for speedstepping? I purchased a license for 10$, loaded the MacBook smbios and its been working great for me. A little off topic, but has anyone had any luck with sleep on kalyway?
Thinking back... I have always had parallels installed which assigns a en0 for the simulated connection sharing. If that is truly the problem I'd give that a try for the time being.

A little off topic, but has anyone had any luck with sleep on kalyway?

I'm running 10.5.2 via kalyway 10.5.1 and the update. Sleep works flawlessly, I don't remember if I had to install any special kexts, but I sleep my X61 several times a day 7 days a week, for many moons now..flawless.

I'm trying coolbook, but it fails with the message "could not find default frequencies/voltage" Please tell me more about how you loaded the smbios from a macbook. I copied a vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext(10.0.12) from a MacBook, it loads fine, but I still get the error with coolbook. I tried it with vanilla and toh kernels, no luck. With the smbios from a macbook installed system profiler reports "There was an error while gathering this information."

AppleSMBIOS_MacBook.zip

I'm running 10.5.2 via kalyway 10.5.1 and the update. Sleep works flawlessly, I don't remember if I had to install any special kexts, but I sleep my X61 several times a day 7 days a week, for many moons now..flawless.

I'm trying coolbook, but it fails with the message "could not find default frequencies/voltage" Please tell me more about how you loaded the smbios from a macbook. I copied a vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext(10.0.12) from a MacBook, it loads fine, but I still get the error with coolbook. I tried it with vanilla and toh kernels, no luck. With the smbios from a macbook installed system profiler reports "There was an error while gathering this information."

I downloaded it off of some website. Mac.nub or something is sticking out for some reason. If i find the site i'll put it on here in an edit...I still have the file...I attached it here for the macbook. Give that a try. By the way, which installation method did you use?

I'm wondering if the sleep issues are caused by the video card. I have the intel GMA X3100 and I have the sleep issue too. When it comes out of sleep I just get a black/gray screen. This also happens when I install the 10.5.3 or 10.5.4 updates which is why I've had to stick to 10.5.2.

Jacob019, what video card is in your system?

I loaded the AppleSMBIOS that zakfontaine uploaded. It works! Thank you!!! I still get the "cannot find default frequencies/voltages message" Does anyone else get that? I get some interesting results with coolbook. After installing AppleSMBIOS, before registering coolbook, and without restarting after the first run of coolbook, it was reporting 800MHz and .9 something volts. xbench results were only 50 for my CPU, so I think the report was valid. That's some serious underclocking for my 2GHz CPU; that would result in some serious battery savings; perfect for airplane trips and such. I registered coolboook; and it works, but the lowest I can go is 1200MHz and 1.0V. That's still great; and active throttling is working; so I'm happy. xbench is back up to 125 for my CPU. I get 75 in xbench on the lowest setting of 1200MHz, 1.0V.

About the sleep issue, I have GMA X3100. Come to think of it, I couldn't get sleep to work until I had video acceleration. I installed kalyway 10.5.1 then the kalyway 10.5.2 update, and then updated the graphics driver via software update. For a while I could only get graphics via VGA out, but the apple update fixed that.

I loaded the AppleSMBIOS that zakfontaine uploaded. It works! Thank you!!! I still get the "cannot find default frequencies/voltages message" Does anyone else get that? I get some interesting results with coolbook. After installing AppleSMBIOS, before registering coolbook, and without restarting after the first run of coolbook, it was reporting 800MHz and .9 something volts. xbench results were only 50 for my CPU, so I think the report was valid. That's some serious underclocking for my 2GHz CPU; that would result in some serious battery savings; perfect for airplane trips and such. I registered coolboook; and it works, but the lowest I can go is 1200MHz and 1.0V. That's still great; and active throttling is working; so I'm happy. xbench is back up to 125 for my CPU. I get 75 in xbench on the lowest setting of 1200MHz, 1.0V.

About the sleep issue, I have GMA X3100. Come to think of it, I couldn't get sleep to work until I had video acceleration. I installed kalyway 10.5.1 then the kalyway 10.5.2 update, and then updated the graphics driver via software update. For a while I could only get graphics via VGA out, but the apple update fixed that.

Ahh.. I'm glad it worked for you! Was the undervolt reading when you booted from battery? That's what my problem was. It ran at full tilt when booted while plugged into AC, then ran and the bottom speed while booted off battery. Coolbook fixed all of that for me.

On the sleep subject, mine log says usb caused the wake. Also, in my system profiler it says one of my usb ports has a "biometric coprocessor" in constant use. I have nothing plugged in physically to my ports..Do you have any idea what that would be? I believe my video is fully accelerated In profiler it says everything is supported. My benchmarks are where I believe they should be (with the exception of openGL..I get 1492 in openmark), but I think thats just a crappy driver.

edit: After some research, I think this is the fingerprint scanner causing the problem. Is there any way to disable it? I installed the fingerprint scanner drivers for mac, and it worked right away to my surprise. Still no sleep though...

I think it was on battery, so that makes sense. I guess the SMBIOS enabled some native throttling, sort of. Coolbook is great.

That makes sense that the fingerprint scanner could jam it up. I don't have one, perhaps you could try opening your laptop and disconnect the ribbon cable or wire for the scanner and see if it fixes your troubles. I can sleep with USB devices plugged in, but if I plug or unplug USB while the computer is sleeping it wakes it up and sometimes locks it up.

I didn't have hardware acceleration until I installed the graphics update but I still can't sleep...or install 10.5.3 or 10.5.4 update without getting the black screen...

Do you have the patch installed that gives you the power meter? Also, do you have a fingerprint reader or an internal cellular modem? What version of osx are you running. I'm not even going to try upgrading past my 10.5.2 for fear of problems.

Forgive me im still a noob at this, but Im still having a bit of trouble installing Turbos Azalia patch. Miguel Madrid said to use OSx86Tools to Azalia Turbo 1984 kext, however the program isnt allowing me to do so, as it doesnt find a kext file within the tree system. Is there a way to go around this. Or even better can someone write a quick walkthrough for me.

Thanks for everyones help!

-drpepper322

Lenovo r61

Manual install isn't too hard. Put the kext on your desktop and replace my username jacob with yours. Type these commands into the terminal.

sudo -s

(type your password)

cd /System/Library/Extensions

mkdir backup

mv AppleAzaliaAudio.kext backup

mv AppleHDA.kext backup

mv /Users/jacob/Desktop/AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext .

chown -R root:wheel AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext

chmod -R 755 AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext

rm ../Extensions.mkext

reboot

zak...where is that device installer patch.....I can not find it.

Thanks.

Ah. My bad for not posting it before.

http://www.upek.com/mac/download/

Just enter your info, run through the installer, and it should work fine. Mine did anyway. This thing is almost complete now. Just internal LAN, sound output/input, and sleep. Good luck.

Do you have the patch installed that gives you the power meter? Also, do you have a fingerprint reader or an internal cellular modem? What version of osx are you running. I'm not even going to try upgrading past my 10.5.2 for fear of problems.

No fingerprint reader or cellular modem. I am on 10.5.2 kalyway. I've tried updating with kalyway and mysticus 10.5.3 patch and it gave me the black screen. Same when I try the 10.5.4 update straigh from apple. BTW I'm running the vanilla kernal. I do get a power meter in the upper corner but I still can't sleep without having the screen just go black when I try to wake machine.

It sure sounds like a video issue, did you install apples video update? I couldn't get accelerated internal graphics working at all without it. I experience a 30-60 second blue screen delay every time I boot, does anyone else have that? I think it's related to the video drivers. If you don't have that delay than you definitely have different drivers than me. Thanks to sleep I rarely reboot so the delay isn't a big deal.

It sure sounds like a video issue, did you install apples video update? I couldn't get accelerated internal graphics working at all without it. I experience a 30-60 second blue screen delay every time I boot, does anyone else have that? I think it's related to the video drivers. If you don't have that delay than you definitely have different drivers than me. Thanks to sleep I rarely reboot so the delay isn't a big deal.

Yup, used the video update which is what got my hardware acceleration working. I have to say the Open GL stats are not great still.

Just wanted to add another occurrence of the sound driver crapping out on me. I ran all the routine maintenance tasks in OSx86 Tools, and upon rebooting my sound wouldn't work. I followed the same procedure that I outlined a few posts ago, and it worked fine. Anyone figure this one out yet? It's not a big deal...just kind of odd.