AD1984 used in Thinkpad X61 and L61 computers

jacob019

202 posts in this topic

You can try the layout-ids you want.... apple doesn't use ad1984, nor the driver is ready for it. So, it won´t match any layout-id´s as all of them were made for sigmatel and realtek.

You can force things up but the result and work in the way can be disappointing.

AD198x codecs are very different than other audio codecs apple uses, they require powering up some nids and the driver doesn't seem to do it by itself.

My best successful attempt to get AD198x working was with AD1988b, and it took me more than a month. I had to use codec programming as I did with a few other codecs before.

One thing that you have in advantage is having the codec to try with.... as it will require lots, and lots of attempts to get any result .... if any you will get.

Some codec I´ve fixed in a couple of hours, others in a couple of days, others in a month (like ad1988b) and others in a couple of months (like ALC861 for F3JC notebook).

And with AD1988b I really had to buy a board just to get it thru, else I would be testing this one with users for about a year, and even with it to test... it took a month

PS- You all are forgetting the importante stuff ... AppleHDAController ConfigData property where the codec programing goes.

And to understand it, you´ll need HDA Intel Specification Reference Manual as well as the Codec Datasheet... and you must think like a computer and not like a human :trumpet:

Thank you for the great info Taruga, it will help us move in the right direction. Unfortunately our datasheet (found here) provides less info than other 198X chips, but it will help. Is there anything we can do to force IOHDACodecDriver to be recognized for testing purposes?

Hey all,

I've worked with Taruga a bit on getting the AD1984 in my T61 working, and thanks to some of his insights I can get all components matched/loaded with the 10.5.2 driver. There is still no sound - the driver complains about the nodes being powered down (D3 state).

I wrote a script to generate config-data that should power up all nodes but it's still not making the driver happy:

Sound assertion "( ( kIOAudioDeviceActive != fCurrentPowerState ) && ( kAppleHDAIOAudioDeviceForcedActive != fCurrentPowerState ) )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-156.1.19/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 653 goto Exit

It should be possible to patch the driver to get everything powered up.

- Turbo

You guys are doing awesome work here. I hope you are successful so that everyone who is stuck without sound on this chip has a way out. I am definitely going to track this topic.

Cheers

Riotz

Glad to hear it Turbo! VERY excited this topic is active again! Let's push it until we get it running!

Oh and Taruga -- if you ever need to VNC into my machine or anything I'm always available (as are other people here). Some of these things are beyond the scope of my understanding, but I'll read up on it and try to help however I can.

.... then perhaps we can get to work on the display brightness issue........ :(

The thing that bothers me about the powering of nodes messing this up is the short burst of sound when unplugging the AC adapter. Does it switch to some interim power state before moving to OS to the battery? ... sorry that sounded stupid. Hardware-wise I know that it just moves immediately, but I'm curious as to why everything is satisfied momentarily when unplugging.... hrmmm...

Sorry for being here for moral support, but if there is anything tedious/ time consuming you need I'm here 8)

The thing that bothers me about the powering of nodes messing this up is the short burst of sound when unplugging the AC adapter. Does it switch to some interim power state before moving to OS to the battery? ... sorry that sounded stupid. Hardware-wise I know that it just moves immediately, but I'm curious as to why everything is satisfied momentarily when unplugging.... hrmmm...

Sorry for being here for moral support, but if there is anything tedious/ time consuming you need I'm here 8)

What kext are you using exactly that works with this short burst of sound? Can you send it to me?

I have a few ideas on what might cause a symptom like that - on my system I haven't gotten a peep out of it yet.

- Turbo

I just performed a 100% fresh install and the behaviour is gone now. I know for a fact that Popophobia had the same thing happen to him-- hopefully he could upload his kext files. I believe he said all he did was apply the Azalia patch (which I am unable to find) after a fresh install.

I don't think the burst of sound means anything. When linux windows or the bios utility are loaded on my X61, the computer will make a sound whenever the ac adapter is unplugged or replugged. I think this sound popophobia is experiencing must be related to this. I don't think the azalia driver works at all with our chip.

EDIT: based on the response below, I am wrong about this.

Well I've disabled all beeps and everything regarding power changes and the like. Basically what happened is I'd play a song in iTunes... unplug the AC Adapter, and I'd hear the song playing for a half second or so. Same thing with videos, or anything involving any *actual* sound and not alert messages.

On another note, is anybody having issues with their fans? My laptop seems to be running hot and although I removed the termal kext's in installation, I can't figure out what's up at this point.

On another note, is anybody having issues with their fans? My laptop seems to be running hot and although I removed the termal kext's in installation, I can't figure out what's up at this point.

we don't have speedstep so the computer will run a bit hot, but it's not too bad. Let's stay on the topic of AD1984 audio in this thread. Perhaps you could restore your computer to the state it was in when you experienced this audio unplug phenomenon, then post your HDA kext.

I've been trying various different kext's that I may have installed when I got this thing to happen, but I still am unable to replicate it. Hopefully popophobia can chime in on what he did. I know it seems like I'm making this up-- it was one of the first things I did on my laptop after installing OSX, so it might have been before/during or after installing a bunch of other kext's and such. I'll keep trying to replicate it.

Hi guys,I can still reproduce the short burst of music when plug/unplug the AC adapter.

Basically Azalia patch moved ALCInject.kext, AppleHDA.kext into AzaliaBackup and create AppleAzaliaAudio.kext in system/library/extensions folder.

I'll try to find the patch again.

But I'm sure it's not the only way to get the short burst of sound. If you check taruga site, seems like there are 2-3 users experienced the same thing without azalia patch. I'll try to install iAtkos 2.0 and see if I can get the same symptom.

Anyway, my system still has the symptom, let me know what kext you would want to look at.

I went ahead and attach the ioreg output and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. Hopefully it'll have some use.

In ioreg there are a few entries linked back to appleazalia codecs. I'm sure you can get something out of it.

ioreg.txt

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.zip

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36520

I believe that was the patch that I had installed (which does exactly what Popophobia's post says). The odd thing is it isn't giving me that symptom at all anymore. As for the other people on Taruga's wiki-- that was me. I posted once when it worked, then said that 10.5.3 broke that symptom from happening.

I'm tearing my hair out trying to replicate it-- I have absolutely no clue as to why it isn't happening for me again.

There was another thread on here where somebody (I believe his name was Agent) mentioned their audio worked with a Kalyway install, but not with an iAtkos install at all.

I'm using your kext file that you posted here (running off a clean and new iAtkos v2.0 installation) and am not getting that symptom whatsoever. AFAIK Kalyway comes with pre-patched audio, or gives options to run some sorts of audio patches at install whereas iAtkos doesn't. Please disregard my posts on Taruga's wiki-- although I experienced the symptom I really don't recall which installation I was on (it may have been an iAtkos installed over a Kalyway 10.5.1 installation). I had been working late nights and installed a crapload of patches.

Tried a Kalyway 10.5.1 install, but couldn't get anything working right at all.

Is there a difference between running GUID and MBR at all?

not really, you can't run a vanilla kernel under MBR mode, but in my experience it works better, especially for multibooting.

Ok, here is the exciting bit:

I installed the OS X using both iAtkos 2.0 and Kalyway 10.5.2 on a separate HDD (2 installs on 2 partitions). Here are the results:

1. Kalyway: No wireles, no volume controller on first boot. However, on my second boot, HDA Output was added to SysPref>Sound>Output. The short burst of sound occurs every disconnecting AC. Wireless works in a blink of an eye after copy the kext from iAtkos (Atheros 5005g hack I think). No reboot required.

2. iAtkos: better integration, everything is there after the first boot. Same, short burst is fully replicated and occurs everytime.

One side note: when I use the dock and remove them without turning off the laptop, there is some kind of sound at the speaker. This leads me to believe that the problem is not in the codec, but in the power of the small speaker alone. I'm looking to do some Azilia mod (it was not applied to any of the above installations). thinkpad.com forums have some nice info about this. I might try that.

I think if you can get a blank hdd (or a partition to spare), install these new version and give it a spin. Totally worthed. I was too worry about having to do everything from scratch. It's not even that bad.

Popophobia -- were these under GUID or MBR? I'm not getting the symptom under any conditions with either (under MBR).

jacob -- I was not aware that vanilla was unable to run on MBR? Installing via iAtkos I installed all stock files (Vanilla 9.2.2 and even the stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext) and all ran completely fine.

Anyways I'm done with reinstalling everything just to replicate it. Now that we have popophobia getting the same result consistantly that's excellent.

Make sure you have the volume slider. Without it, no sound will be produced, pulling the cord or not.

I installed the default for Kalyway DVD, audio section (includes the Intel HDA and a few other i think).

Curiously, the sound card is identified as Intel HDA with device ID. I'm still on Kalyway 10.5.2.

I installed with GUID, but either case, it does not affect the sound nor the driver. Just the way it boot up. My first installation was MBR.

post-193318-1214280734_thumb.png

post-193318-1214280742_thumb.png

Hi guys,I can still reproduce the short burst of music when plug/unplug the AC adapter.

Basically Azalia patch moved ALCInject.kext, AppleHDA.kext into AzaliaBackup and create AppleAzaliaAudio.kext in system/library/extensions folder.

I'll try to find the patch again.

But I'm sure it's not the only way to get the short burst of sound. If you check taruga site, seems like there are 2-3 users experienced the same thing without azalia patch. I'll try to install iAtkos 2.0 and see if I can get the same symptom.

Anyway, my system still has the symptom, let me know what kext you would want to look at.

I went ahead and attach the ioreg output and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. Hopefully it'll have some use.

In ioreg there are a few entries linked back to appleazalia codecs. I'm sure you can get something out of it.

Hey popophobia,

Your ioreg is cut off - can you re-run like this and post the output?

ioreg -w0 -lif > ~/ioreg.txt

- Turbo