AD1984 used in Thinkpad X61 and L61 computers

jacob019

202 posts in this topic

Hey popophobia,

You can take down the ioreg link, I don't need it anymore. I was finally able to reproduce the burst-of-sound issue, and I'm pretty sure people who are no longer able to reproduce this are seeing the result of a race-condition on startup.

See my site http://0xfeedbeef.com/osx86/ for details.

I need to do some more work but a patch should be available soon.

- Turbo

Hey Turbo,

Glad to hear that you got it working! I've attempted to load the kext's as per the information on your website, but each time I do that, the kexts load but disable the volume buttons and do not reproduce that symptom.

Additionally I saw you got your backlight working on your ThinkPad-- do you think you could post that solution, or throw it up somewhere? I'm sure a LOT of us ThinkPad users would love to have it!

Thanks!

Guys the Dell Optiplex 755 also makes use of the AD1984 so do you think if you got this working for the thinkpad chipset that it will work on the Dell Optiplex 755 too???

Thanks for all your hard work keep at it.

Riotz

Hey popophobia,

You can take down the ioreg link, I don't need it anymore. I was finally able to reproduce the burst-of-sound issue, and I'm pretty sure people who are no longer able to reproduce this are seeing the result of a race-condition on startup.

See my site http://0xfeedbeef.com/osx86/ for details.

I need to do some more work but a patch should be available soon.

- Turbo

Thanks. That's great news. I'll be looking forward to that. Finally something is moving in the right direction :)

Also, as mulletman said, it would be great if you can share some of your driver for X61. We (me an a bunch other fellows here at the little x61 wiki) would be thankful for that.

Worked PERFECTLY for me! Thank you so much Turbo-- once my ebay auctions end next week i'll send something your way!

Thank you SO MUCH!

PS: Also did your x3100 backlight fix work? Do you have any plans of releasing that to the ThinkPad osx86 community? Thanks!

Exciting news guys. I tried the kext on my Optiplex 755 but was not able to get it working. I was wondering if I am doing something wrong. I used Kext Helper to try to get it installed. If there is a different way of getting it in there please let me know.

Riotz

Are any other kext nedeed along with this patch? I have a raw 10.5.3 kalyway system (no aduio patchers loaded) and the kext can't be loaded. Thx!

bash-3.2# kextLoad -t /System/Library/Extensions/AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext/

kextLoad: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext/ appears to be loadable

kextLoad: kmod_control/start failed for org.turbo.driver.AzaliaTP1984; destroying kmod

kextLoad: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext/

link/load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext/

got it working thanks popophobia

Also Turbo I saw in your page you had a driver for the 82566 that was partially working any chace you can put that up for download as I would love to get my LAN working

I'm so happy!!!! I have sound. I had given up and now I have sound. I'm just so happy. Thank you Turbo for your hard work and skills. Thank you for sharing your talent with us. Everyone, listen, please go visit turbo's page and send him a donation, he deserves it!!!

--

To anyone having trouble, just follow the standard kext installation procedure. First remove the conflicting AppleAzalia and AppleHDA, then delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext. Copy the new kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ Then repair permissions with "sudo chown -r root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext" and "sudo chmod -r 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext". Reboot and viola. Works on my X61. Hooray!!!!

Whoops sorry for not posting that! In any case it's so great to have sound. I second what jacob said and make a donation to Turbo if you can!

On an unrelated note, has anybody been able to get the UltraNav middle button working with ANYTHING on OSX? I'd really like to use it to enable scrolling (like it does on Windows), but it seems nothing recognizes it at all. I heard Smart Scroll does, but it didn't do anything for me (although it did seem to recognize the button in the settings menu).

Middle button... and backlight are really all I need left to make this a complete MacBook for me. But compared to sound these are just minor issues and I can deal with them -- just interested if anyone has found a fix for these two things.

Riotz -- this patch was meant for the way Lenovo machines handle the 1984-- which is different than the way your Dell does unfortunately :)

Ouch ... my dreams of having sound on my hackintosh just died a painful death. I hope someone is able to modify the patch or use from what you have learned to get it working on my dell. In any event you guys did a great job in breaking open this patch. Kudos!

On an unrelated note, has anybody been able to get the UltraNav middle button working with ANYTHING on OSX?

My middle button works in FireFox3, it enables scrolling mode. I'm really so happy about this audio, as everyone here knows. The Intel wired ethernet, the backlight, and CPU throttling are the only things not working on my laptop. All minor really, I have a usb ethernet adapter, and shades helps with brightness control. True brighness control would be nice as would CPU throttling since it would save battery, but the battery on this laptop is great anyway, I get 2 hours or more.

Thanks again Turbo! And I'd also like to thank Taruga, who has really pioneered all the audio driver hacking and helped out Turbo along the way. Thanks guys!!!

I would now like to nominate the Lenovo X61 for best hackintosh laptop!!! I have a macbook, but I like this better due to the 12" size, the waterproof keyboard, and now the great hardware support!!!

Riotz im sure there is a way to make it work for you and I hope this fix comes soon for the dell users with AD1984

DSF767 I appreciate you saying that. I am hoping this happens also. When I got this PC I found out that I couldnt use the onboard video, ethernet or sound and I was about to throw in the towel till I digged through my parts bins and found a x1300 and a 3COM NIC. My only option for sound though is a patch as I have used up the only 2 expansion slots and I would hate to have a DSP head phone on all the time. :-\

My middle button works in FireFox3, it enables scrolling mode. I'm really so happy about this audio, as everyone here knows. The Intel wired ethernet, the backlight, and CPU throttling are the only things not working on my laptop. All minor really, I have a usb ethernet adapter, and shades helps with brightness control. True brighness control would be nice as would CPU throttling since it would save battery, but the battery on this laptop is great anyway, I get 2 hours or more.

The button works in FireFox 3? Hrmmm.... I wonder why it isn't initializing on mine then. Was there a setting you changed? Did you play around with any Synaptics ApplePS2Controller.kext's?