CPUS=1 Fix coming?

glitchbit

28 posts in this topic

Well I haven't seen many if any specific threads regarding this but what is the outlook for us Dual Processor users being able to use our full processor in OSX? I have only seen one case where some nforce users got around it some how eventually with a hacked kernel. I want to know if there is anything we can do to bring about more fixes for more motherboards?

Yes, rest assured that if you have to use cpus=1 to boot, then OS X is in fact using only 1 core. I have a Core 2 Quad system that I have to use cpus=1 with. OS X shows it as a "Core 2 Solo"!

Everything else on this box works fine - LAN, Sound, USB, QE/CI video with a Radeon HD2600Pro. I've pretty much given up on ever using all 4 cores with OS X - at least with the current versions. It's a MB/BIOS issue AFAIK. Maybe future versions will work.

For now, OS X 10.5.1 runs fine for my uses. Any heavy duty stuff I do on Vista64 anyways , so it's no big loss for me.

Intrestingly, I got around the CPUS=1 problem by turning off Throtting and SpeedStep (i shouldn't have them on since my system is overclocked, but I like being akward) :D in my BIOS, after that i didnt need to use the "CPUS=1" parameter anymore, yet fixing that im now at another knot im trying to untangle... :(

Well, i cant disable speedstep nor anything else in bios :(

Speedstep is enabled in bios, i verified under osx by adressing MSR of the CPU.

If i disable it inside ther kernel, it crash & reboot...

I'm trying others things, i'll tell you

From what I have seen, this problem has been around since the early days of OSX86 and it's not likely to go away anytime soon. My Dell Inspiron E1705 is plagued with this problem (in fact the tutorial thread goes into great detail about it) but my new Sager 5793 laptop doesn't do it; I get full Penryn dual-core goodness.

There appears to be some fluctuation in how PC makers implement their BIOS, and it's the BIOS that's somehow causing it.

Xenova is right..

Except that in my case (Asus P5W DH) it was not the 'Intel Speedstep' setting but the 'Execute Disable Function' this needs to be set to: ENABLED

Description of setting (for other MB owners): No-Execution Page protection Technology - is able to force the XD feature flag to always return 0.

Overview of other settings on this bios page: (defaults)

Modify Ratio Support: Disabled

Microcode Updation: Enabled

Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled

Execute Disable Function: ENABLED

Enhanced C1 Control: Auto

Virtualization Technology: Enabled (grey)

Intel® Speedstep tech: Enabled

Got 2 cores of my C2D working now.

Hope this helps

http://forum.insanelymac.com/style_emotico...ault/tongue.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Really want to use more than 1 core :police:

I'm using 'AMD Phenom x3 (8650, Triple core)' with 'iDeneb 10.5.5'

When I installed "cpus=1 fix" package from disk at first intall, it woks fine, but it used only 1 core.

If I choose not to install "cpus=1 fix" and first stage then, I can't boot, it makes kernel panic.

So, I must give a boot option like a "cpus=1"

Is there any workaround?

Make sure you're using an appropriate kernel for your processor (voodoo kernel is best, http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/ for any processor, including AMD), and if that still does not solve it, it could possibly be a DSDT table issue in the BIOS, check this post on how to patch it without re-writing your whole BIOS http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...133683&st=0

Make sure you're using an appropriate kernel for your processor (voodoo kernel is best, http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/ for any processor, including AMD), and if that still does not solve it, it could possibly be a DSDT table issue in the BIOS, check this post on how to patch it without re-writing your whole BIOS http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...133683&st=0

Thanks for reply!!!

I used the installed kernel with Ideneb 10.5.5 and tried with Voodoo 9.5.0 release, couldn't get good result. Anyway, I would like to try DSDT workaround. Thanks again for advice, Good day~ :D

Thanks for reply!!!

I used the installed kernel with Ideneb 10.5.5 and tried with Voodoo 9.5.0 release, couldn't get good result. Anyway, I would like to try DSDT workaround. Thanks again for advice, Good day~ :)

Just for update, still couln't get it even DSDT, b/c DSDT doesn't work for my unit. no .aml just ,dsl created, I couldn't deal with it.

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys.....

I have a problem like that..

i'm using acer travelmate 6291 Core 2 Duo @T5500 with all distro osx86 hackintosh (iDeneb, Kalyway, XxX 10.5.5, XxX 10.5.6 ppf latest, iPC 10.5.6 latest)

i think this problem with my proc @T5500... always cpus=1 :)

i waiting and hope any solution with my rig

thanks for insanely... & u all.. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Except that in my case (Asus P5W DH) it was not the 'Intel Speedstep' setting but the 'Execute Disable Function' this needs to be set to: ENABLED

I can confirm that setting "Execute Disable Function" to "ENABLED" fixes the issue of having to enter "cpus=1" at boot screen. This is using an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard at least. Thanks kababoom! :)

• 3 weeks later...
I can confirm that setting "Execute Disable Function" to "ENABLED" fixes the issue of having to enter "cpus=1" at boot screen. This is using an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard at least. Thanks kababoom! ;)

thank you too, kaboom! it's working on a Samsung X11 laptop, my life is so much easier now...

I have the same problem as ovof: everything works fine, both cores register, boots to GUI and then after an hour or so it'll randomly kernel panic (I think it complains about memory swapping or something). I should probably write down the details next time I bother to boot into cpus=2.

I'll also try disabling speedstep and have a look if I can find Execute Disable Function, but I don't think I have that. I know for a fact that Speedstep is enabled though, but I'm on an Intel P965 chipset, so it may not fix it if it's just an Asus problem.

EDIT: Disabled both BIOS settings. Uptime of 2 hours with cpus=2. Hoping this is a permanent fix.

Wait, I already had both Speedstep and Execute Disable Function enabled but kababoom said to enable it...

Oh well, maybe it was Speedstep. Or maybe it's not even fixed... Whatever, if it works it works.

EDIT2: 7 hours uptime. Going to bed now. Fingers crossed I'll find it still working fully in the morning.

EDIT3: Yeah, it was still working in the morning. But for some reason my Ralink RT73 chipset wireless USB dongle seems to disconnect itself roughly 10 mins after I leave for school in the morning but is fine during the night... (did it before i disabled those BIOS things and also happens when I boot cpus=1) ... Anyway, as soon as this happened, the system froze. It seems to be after the computer goes idle.

So I've booted with idlehalt=0 to keep the CPU going no matter what. Maybe this will solve it.

EDIT4: Kernel panic when I got home today, it crashed at 2:18ish, so roughly six hours of working alone, which bodes very well. KP was the 'm_free: freeing an already freed mbuff' or whatever it is. This might be because I re-enabled Speedstep and Execute Disable Function as I guessed it wasn't them affecting it. Disabling Execute Disable Function seems to make my computer take a good 60-90 seconds to find and register my three SATA devices which means I'm sat waiting doing nothing for that time. Really annoying. Disabled Speedstep, hopefully this will be it.

• 6 months later...