Problem with Realtek RTL8139

glitch77

21 posts in this topic

I am using iAtkos R3, with a Q6600, 4gb of ram, and an IN9 ABIT nforce 680i mobo.

After Leo boots, networking works fine. I can use Safari, etc, but after about a minute, it just stops. If I go into networking properties, it shows that it has assigned its own IP and if I click "dhcp renew" the settings go away, then reset back to its own made up IP.

The same card works in Vista64 (I am posting this message though it), so its not a bad card. What else could it be?

Any suggestions on wha to try?

Thanks!

EDIT: I have tried setting the IP and DNS / router IPs manually, but it still won't connect.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have the same problems... I am now on the 5th card and starting to realize it has nothing to do with the card or the drivers.

I've tried the a RTL8139 based card, a D-link GFE-530TX, D-lInk GDE-530T, Nforce Networking all have different drivers and work... I can connect to the internet but all will quit after a few min until I reboot.

This has nothing to do with the card or drivers. Any one have any ideas?

Same here.

When i use my Network intensivly (after about 50-70mb data transfer) the connection wents down, and thats it - no way to bring the network up again, except of rebooting.

I tried four different network cards (Realtek, 3Com) and two complete different network settings - nothing.

I tried to change the PCI Latency in the BIOS as suggested somewhere else, i used DHCP, manually... no effect at all.

I also tried 2 different LeoOS86-Distris (Zeph 10.5.2 Rev.1 and eddie11c's Leo4all).

I don't know what to do now, I need the network, and I need it for more than 50mb and a handfull of minutes.

Anybody an idea?

After doing some tests I have discovered that by booting with cpus=1 fixes the network drop issue but disables 3 cores to do it. I'm going to swap out my AppleSMBIOS.kext and try a few combinations. Can anyone else verify that booting cpus=1 makes a difference for you?

My system is 99% just need to get the issues worked out.

Yea I agree cpus=1 is no solution... I have a quad core and Leopard runs great with all 4 cores enabled. I'm not sure what the solution is but I think it have something to do with AppleSMBIOS.kext

Please post here if anyone figures this one out... as will I.

all these problems in my opinion are related to drivers... with the latest findings... why? bcoz all these card I myself, and many others were trying had drivers taht are written for 10.4.8 or earlier versions.... i dont think any of them are official either... most importantly, if you know the cpu=1 problem, it started after 10.4.8! which is parallel to the network problem...

However these two cards lately... being tried under heavy usage and for long enough, are working good so far... Both cards have official OS X drivers and latest to support leopard...

+ Linksys WUSB54GC

+ Netgear WG111V3 wireless card

Both these cards are wireless, I recommend Netgear if you can find, as I asked one person to stress test it, and seen it on action, and it worked perfectly and didnt have any more drops or freezes related to various programs anymore......

Good luck...

• 4 weeks later...

guys, this issues only happens on nForce motherboard. Especially the 6 series. From what I heard, this is due to OS X compatibility with the nForce chipset.

• 1 month later...

My case is very similar to the rest of you.

I can confirm that the problem is on nForce610i in my case with a Realtek 8139 (Belkin).

This connection loss never happened in 10.4.x but repeatedly occurs in 10.5.2 Leopard using Leo4All v3.

I also searched the net and many "genuine" Mac users report that Leopard has networking issues (connection loss).

I will try the cpus=1 fix and report here as well.

UPDATE: Ok disabled second Core on the CPU, LAN works flawessly.

QUESTION: Was any of you able to run Leopard with Vanilla Kernel? I can't do that with my processor and it might be one of the causes for the LAN problem.

I am using iAtkos R3, with a Q6600, 4gb of ram, and an IN9 ABIT nforce 680i mobo.

After Leo boots, networking works fine. I can use Safari, etc, but after about a minute, it just stops. If I go into networking properties, it shows that it has assigned its own IP and if I click "dhcp renew" the settings go away, then reset back to its own made up IP.

The same card works in Vista64 (I am posting this message though it), so its not a bad card. What else could it be?

Any suggestions on wha to try?

Thanks!

EDIT: I have tried setting the IP and DNS / router IPs manually, but it still won't connect.

Buy my network card for 15 bucks and disable your 8139 card. 8169 works natively

i have the same problem. now i am using the tulip driver and when the connection goes down, i do a kextunload tulip.kext and then a kextload tulip.kext and then i have connection for another 10 minutes. :angel:

i also tried an older RTL LAN card but the same result.

I have a also a nforce mobo. With an intergrated LAN card (nvidia gigabit ethernet). What i think is wierd, is that even thought i have the onboard lan disabled it was listed in the network preferences. can it be that we have these problem from having multiply lan boards?

i really hope this get solved..