(mostly) successful Leopard install on ECS 945GCT-M/1333

ducman

341 posts in this topic

UGH! I'm about to give up on this.

I've tried every solution you guys talk about regarding the "Retail DVD Guide"

I've tried also the Boot-132 method. NOTHING WORKS!!!!

I Only get reboot after reboot.

My Setup is:

CPU: Pentium 4 @ 3Ghz

Memory: 2GB

GPU: Onboard graphics

Audio: Onboard

Hard Disk: 2 Units (one of 20GB PATA with Kaly 10.5.1 running well. The second a 160GB SATA and where I'm trying to set up Retail with no success whatsoever)

Also of note: Modified Bios for a Core 2 Duo coming soon... but the P4 works fine on it anyway.

Can someone please tell me the steps, one by one... on how you got yours working?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Does anyone want to tell me if it works?

your dsdt file does not work for me with iatkos 5i upgraded to 10.5.6. however, i compiled my own and it works. (see attachment)

for everyone else who wants a quick route to 10.5.6:

1. iatkos 5i (default settings. DO NOT choose any gma950 drivers)

2. software update to 10.5.6

3. put attached dsdt file into root directory and repair permissions

4. see post #12 to install sound

5. done

DSDT.aml.zip

So Fry's had a sale on the ECS 945GCT-M with an Intel E2180, and I decided to give it a try. I found some posts that made it sound like the 945GCT-M would be a very compatible board. Apparently there are several versions of this board, though. The one that was included on the sale was the 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0, which turned out not to be quite as good a choice as I had hoped.

This board has

North Bridge: Intel® 945GC (good, very compatible)

South Bridge: Intel® ICH7 (good, very compatible)

Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (works, very compatible)

IDT 92HD202 8Ch-HD audio (oops, can't find anything about that!)

Realtek RTL8101E 10/100 LAN (oops, only post I find are bad!)

A guy with an eye patch and a peg leg gave me a disk labeled KALYWAY Leopard 10.5.1, so I put the E2180 on the board, added two 1Gb sticks of RAM, an old IDE hard drive and a Pioneer DVR-111D IDE DVD burner that has served me well for several years.

I had a bit of trouble booting things up, at first. The DVD booted after I tweaked my BIOS settings based on this link: http://netkas.org/?page_id=26

I had no trouble partitioning the drive GUID, and the installation seemed to go well until the very end, when I eventually got a error saying the system couldn't be installed. After several hours of trying things I realized that the installer log messages sounded like it might have had some trouble with the boot record. That lead me to this topic: installing EFI v8

I was able to follow the simple instructions under "Method Number 2: Starting with out Tiger or Leopard," to install EFI and get the system to boot.

Once in, the system recogized the built-in GMA950 just fine, and I immediately had accelerated graphics and Quartz Extreme support, as well as all reasonable resolutions on my Dell LCD display.

However, I didn't have either Ethernet or sound working. I spent another hour or two looking for references to that Realtek chipset, when I had the bright idea to check the Realtek support site. What do you know, there's a Mac driver on the site that's supposed to support that chip under Mac OS X 10.4.10: Realtek support site

I downloaded and installed the driver and rebooted. Now my on-board ethernet works, too!

Things were working well enough now that I went ahead and installed some software, let Software Update download and install several updates, and got things set up the way I like them. Overall I'm pretty happy with how well this thing is working. Sleep even works, sort of. If I "sleep" the machine, it doesn't recognize any keyboard inputs to wake up, but pressing the power button wakes it up, and every thing works just fine after waking, so I figure that's probably good enough.

I think I'm going to just have to give up on that IDT 92HD202 audio chip and buy a USB adapter. Can anybody recommend a cheap one that works well with Mac OS X?

So, overall, I'd say that if you're looking for a really cheap Hack, the ECS 945GCT-M works pretty well, but definitely go with a v1.0, if you have a choice. The v3.0 I ended up with is not nearly as well supported.

Okay, call me completely nieve or really, really stupid but, I am trying to install Mac on my Vista Inspiron Laptop, I'm having problems as Ducman said with DOS hanging prior to installation,

could someone be so kind as to tell me step by step how to fix this, (Something about tweaking my BIOS)???

Cheers

Matt

The attached screenshot shows where my system "hangs"

index.php.jpg

So I finally got it working... (found out that a Pentium 4 needs another kernel ( Voodo 9.5) FACEPALM) And for the last month or so I've been enjoying my Apple MacFake with 2GB RAM, Nvidia 8600 GT graphics... all is good.

the onboard audio is useless fyi

Well, yeah... but at least I get audio out. Audio in is done with a USB Griffin iMic sound card.

• 5 weeks later...

I too pick up one of this Motherboard from Frys, (it went on sale for $25.00), I put an Intel E5200 dual core on it with 4GB of Ram and install 10.5.5 iATKOS then upgrade to 10.5.6. Everything work right out from the beginning except for Audio, it need patch. After patch the audio, it works but only from micro phone jack and not the Speaker Jack (weird) go figure. I encounter only one problem at the beginning, it won't start from the dvd install disk, after doing some reading i found an article and get it to work. everything seem to work fine, in exception of some reboot issue after bring it back from sleep mode ( manual sleep only), other than that I am a happy camper.

• 2 months later...

hy guys i have an 945GCT-M2 (v1.0) ,

Processor: Celeron D

Ram :2 GB

Hdd:250 sata

i've tried to install retail leopard on my pc but i'm stuck at boot ...i burnt a cd with boot123 it boot up but when i insert the retail dvd i wait to stop the led blinkin and press enter and shows me a white screen with the grey logo and frezze ..i wait for about 2 hours but nothing ...can sombody help me ?

• 3 weeks later...
everything seem to work fine, in exception of some reboot issue after bring it back from sleep mode ( manual sleep only), other than that I am a happy camper.

Did you have to do anything special to get manual sleep to work? My 945GCT-M/1333 immediately resumes ever time when I try and put it to sleep. I am running 10.5.6 from a retail DVD install.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. i have a ECS 945GCT-M too but is V2.0 and runing 10.5.5 (ideneb v1.3), the kernel is Voodoo 9.5 and EFI V9

I have the combo update 10.5.6 and 10.5.7, could someone tell me any suggestion to upgrade to 10.5.6 - 10.5.8

This the PC components

CPU: C2D 2.2 GHz

RAM: 2GB (1gb on each slot)

HD: 250 sata for Win & 320sata for Mac (GUID)

Audio(ST9220), Video(GMA950) an Lan (RTL8119) working OK

Sorry my bad english.

Did you have to do anything special to get manual sleep to work? My 945GCT-M/1333 immediately resumes ever time when I try and put it to sleep. I am running 10.5.6 from a retail DVD install.

Thanks!

I have 10.5.8 from a retail DVD, also used kalyway/ideneb/iatkos discs before. Sleep never works with this mobo.

Hi. i have a ECS 945GCT-M too but is V2.0 and runing 10.5.5 (ideneb v1.3), the kernel is Voodoo 9.5 and EFI V9

I have the combo update 10.5.6 and 10.5.7, could someone tell me any suggestion to upgrade to 10.5.6 - 10.5.8

This the PC components

CPU: C2D 2.2 GHz

RAM: 2GB (1gb on each slot)

HD: 250 sata for Win & 320sata for Mac (GUID)

Audio(ST9220), Video(GMA950) an Lan (RTL8119) working OK

Sorry my bad english.

You could try the LTL's guide at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86167 and install directly 10.5.8. I installed 10.5.5 with this method and then i did all the upgrades to 10.5.8 (.6 .7 and .8) perfectly. You have two HD so you could try it.

Just installed iPC 10.5.6 Universal on my ECS 945GCT-M, applied the sound patch mentioned in this thread, downloaded combo update 10.5.8 from apple.com and installed it. Everything worked beautifully. Ran Geekbench test and got a score of 2994, see attached photo.

Hackintosh-10-5-8.jpg

There's a guide of installation on GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3 HERE

Not sure if this ECS 945GCT-M is compatible with Snow Leopard though !

I tried that install. I used an external HD instead of the thumb drive but I got the install disk ready just like he did. The problem I am having is I get a KP when I launch the install disk. The first line says I have an unsupported processor. Can that be right? I have a C2D E6750.

I tried that install. I used an external HD instead of the thumb drive but I got the install disk ready just like he did. The problem I am having is I get a KP when I launch the install disk. The first line says I have an unsupported processor. Can that be right? I have a C2D E6750.

Do you have a leopard installation running now? It´s strange the message of the KP... Hope this mother be compatible with SL. I´m waiting some time to an universal guide...

Do you have a leopard installation running now? It´s strange the message of the KP... Hope this mother be compatible with SL. I´m waiting some time to an universal guide...

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but once I have the thumb drive ready like the article states I get a KP on boot from that Thumb drive. I can't get into the install portion.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but once I have the thumb drive ready like the article states I get a KP on boot from that Thumb drive. I can't get into the install portion.

I did try the USB flash drive installation and also had that kernel panic at booting, though I followed the instructions from that webpage carefully.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone had any luck w/ snow leopard on this board? I

Not that I've found so far. I've been trying for the last couple of days (following a variety of guides) and am consistently getting stuck while trying to boot the installer. Upon boot I almost immediately get a kernel panic with a message something like "Should have 2 threads, but only found 3 for Die 0" My research found the following thread which discusses similar problems on the Dell e520 (which apparently uses the same chipset): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...84437&st=20

I've been running this board for several months flawlessly with Leopard following the tips in this thread (hacked BIOS, etc.) Hopefully if we all put our heads together we can figure out the right kext combination to get this going with Snow Leopard!

I've made a bit of progress! Someone in the Dell E520 thread I mentioned above had suggested removing the DSDT.aml to get rid of the "Should have 2 threads, but only found 3 for Die 0" error. I did that and this helped me past that error.

But now a new error presented itself, something about the secondary PCI IDE channel being disabled. I tracked down an updated IOATAFamily kext at http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/18987565...or-snow-leopard and replaced the copy in the Snow Leopard installer disk. This got me past that error and I actually got a GUI screen with a mouse cursor and nothing else on it.

I'm going to start over from scratch and see if I missed any steps along the way. I'm following the generic guide at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227 which worked great with my Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been able to boot into Snow Leopard with my 945GCT-M/1333. Still working on all the bits - PCI-WiFi, full graphics suport, etc - but it's definitely possible. Soon as I can re-trace my steps, I'll post details. Took about 30 restarts to figure it out.

I've been able to boot into Snow Leopard with my 945GCT-M/1333. Still working on all the bits - PCI-WiFi, full graphics suport, etc - but it's definitely possible. Soon as I can re-trace my steps, I'll post details. Took about 30 restarts to figure it out.

Cool - keep us posted. Maybe we can finally get sleep to work with this mobo...

Great news. Is it stable? Cand you do general task without kernel paniks? Can you run software like iLife, Aperture or Adobe Suite?