(mostly) successful Leopard install on ECS 945GCT-M/1333

ducman

341 posts in this topic

I thought the ECS945GCT-M/1333 only supported a total of 2GB RAM but JAe-V has 4GB. The ECS website now says 4GB (in red letters like it was changed). So does this work for the all the 3.0 version boards? Does 4GB require the 2-18-08 BIOS or will it work with the 11-7-07 BIOS?

Thanks, Gregg

No its supports 4gigs of ram just fine, i'm even using mixed models. Its 800mhz. And i havent been able to boot into an install with anything other than the original bios of 11/7/07. I'm gonna give the modified a shot in a few mins.

So great news guys who have the ECS 945GCT-M/1333 version 3.0 board. I successfully modded the bios to get 2 cores enabled with the latest bios (Version: 08/07/18

Release Date: 2008/08/28).

CREDIT GOES TO ALL THOSE WHO PARTICIPATED IN THIS THREAD: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=90505

Disclaimer: Flashing your bios is risky and I assume no responsibility to any damage that may occur.

This bios is only for version 3.0 motherboards (ECS 945GCT-M 3.0)! DO NOT FLASH IF U DO NOT HAVE THIS MOTHERBOARD!

Good luck to those who try!

Picture1.png

Hey what processor are you using? 45nm i hope? lol

*EDIT* Just informing that i'm up and running with the modified bios. MacMan2007 i'd like to know what if your running vanilla kernel or not? I'm unable to boot running any vanilla kernel unless i flag cpus=1 before this.

In the past and presently i had been using both cores with the modbin kernel. Works well, here's a screenshot:

post-83060-1222401159_thumb.jpg

An easier method is the v4.2 guide found here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167

I'd say do this one its much faster and easier. You just need to have an retail dmg or iso on your desktop and a spare hdd.

JaE-V,

Why is that easier? doesn't it require an extra internal harddrive? I only have on 1 200gb HD in there with 2 partitions. 120 for OSX and 80 for timemachine. I wonder if that would work rather than another HD in there...

I really would rather not have to open up that box again. it is a pain b/c it is cramped in there. If I can burn 2 DVD's and use the method that you used seems to me to be easier right?

JaE-V,

Why is that easier? doesn't it require an extra internal harddrive? I only have on 1 200gb HD in there with 2 partitions. 120 for OSX and 80 for timemachine. I wonder if that would work rather than another HD in there...

I really would rather not have to open up that box again. it is a pain b/c it is cramped in there. If I can burn 2 DVD's and use the method that you used seems to me to be easier right?

Yea true.

Hey what processor are you using? 45nm i hope? lol

*EDIT* Just informing that i'm up and running with the modified bios. MacMan2007 i'd like to know what if your running vanilla kernel or not? I'm unable to boot running any vanilla kernel unless i flag cpus=1 before this.

In the past and presently i had been using both cores with the modbin kernel. Works well, here's a screenshot:

I'm running a E5200 45nm Wolfdale CPU clocked at 2.5 gighz. I never have to boot with the cpus=1 flag. I'm using original 10.5.5 kernel straight from the update. I do believe all the .kext are vanilla as well.

Bios settings are as follows:

CPU TM Function: Enabled

Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled

Execute Disable Bit: Enabled

Intel SpeedStep tech: Disabled

Enhanced Halt: Enabled

APIC Mode: Enabled <----- Important to enable this because the modification in the bios makes this works now.

High Performance Event Timer: Enabled

I do boot with the -f flag, so maybe that could be another reason why I don't need to use cpus=1.

no, its called generic.iso

This boot132 thing has me a bit confused. Do I have to reinstall the OS?

I boot using generic.iso CD, when prompted I insert the retail DVD and install the OS over my existing Kalyway? or do I just boot into the retail DVD and run the automatic updates? If so those updates will be applied to my existing Kalyway? and I don't have to reinstall my kexts that I had to do on my initial Kalyway install?

This boot132 thing has me a bit confused. Do I have to reinstall the OS?

I boot using generic.iso CD, when prompted I insert the retail DVD and install the OS over my existing Kalyway? or do I just boot into the retail DVD and run the automatic updates? If so those updates will be applied to my existing Kalyway? and I don't have to reinstall my kexts that I had to do on my initial Kalyway install?

Its for a new install...

Download the generic.iso burn it boot off it

It'll get to a screen where it stalls, you push esc or enter.

Take out the generic.iso disk

Put Retail Leo in.

Hit enter and install, its as simple as that. After then you can run your updates and install vid. card drivers if needed.

Afterwards you would go thru the same steps to boot your installation. Boot off the cd then instead of inserting a disk, you hit enter on your partition.

After your done updating you can install chameleon so that you wont have to use the disk boot method anymore and your done. Its just a simple pkg, install and restart.

Damn, I don't know if I'm game for a whole new install just to get the QE working. I'm gonna try the update method here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=107340 using the downloaded combo updater...

Anyone try this yet?

BTW, thanks for all your help JaE-V

Oh, and I just bought a evga 9600gso for $36 AR+tax (onsale right now at newegg) for my rig hopefully to get some good performance on FCE or FCP

Damn, I don't know if I'm game for a whole new install just to get the QE working. I'm gonna try the update method here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=107340 using the downloaded combo updater...

Anyone try this yet?

BTW, thanks for all your help JaE-V

Oh, and I just bought a evga 9600gso for $36 AR+tax (onsale right now at newegg) for my rig hopefully to get some good performance on FCE or FCP

I tried that method, didnt work for me. Left my finder acting funny. Also at the part that says, rename the dont steal mac os x part to dsmos; i didnt have that line to even replace it. Your 9600 should be fine, thats not a bad price. Looks like you'll be using injectors for your gfx however, strings arent compatible with the 9 series yet. *SCRATCH THAT*

Manually create your own strings!

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...=509&page=1

Lol, works well.

Release Date: 2008/08/28.

Bios settings are as follows:

CPU TM Function: Enabled

Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled

Execute Disable Bit: Enabled

Intel SpeedStep tech: Disabled

Enhanced Halt: Enabled

APIC Mode: Enabled

High Performance Event Timer: Enabled

I flash bios to new release and followed your bios settings, but still restart if not write cpus=1 flag. I used the files in ECS website.

Should i open your file as rom in afuwin and use it to flash? Or is the same that in ECS web but with your config? Has others changes?

Thank you.

I flash bios to new release and followed your bios settings, but still restart if not write cpus=1 flag. I used the files in ECS website.

Should i open your file as rom in afuwin and use it to flash? Or is the same that in ECS web but with your config? Has others changes?

Thank you.

You will need to flash with the bios that I attached to my post. It contains a different DSDT table that allows APIC to work properly under OSX. Please report back if successful.

You will need to flash with the bios that I attached to my post. It contains a different DSDT table that allows APIC to work properly under OSX. Please report back if successful.

ok. It is safe? Did you did it?

The options in afuwin are like the image i attach? That is the options in the ecs website and what i used always to flash bios.

Thank you.

post-227648-1222550335_thumb.jpg

JaE-V,

On a selfish note, I wish you would stick with your current MB so that we could continue to have you around on this thread contributing.

Thanks for being helpful...

BTW, that update http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=107340 worked for me. I'm at 10.5.5

the only weird thing I've noticed so far is that in my general hardware section of the system profiler, the screen shows:

There was an error while gathering this information.

Otherwise, my onboard video is now QE enabled. All that and I'm just waiting for the 9600gso to arrive.

Oh and I did have to reapply my mods for the video,sound,and wifi card. After the update...

ok. It is safe? Did you did it?

The options in afuwin are like the image i attach? That is the options in the ecs website and what i used always to flash bios.

Thank you.

I did it with the same utility they give you when you download the bios from ecs and it worked awesome. I couldnt even boot up my leo installation with the unmodified version latest update. My advice to everyone is to grab this bios and an E8400 lol.

JaE-V,

On a selfish note, I wish you would stick with your current MB so that we could continue to have you around on this thread contributing.

Thanks for being helpful...

BTW, that update http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=107340 worked for me. I'm at 10.5.5

the only weird thing I've noticed so far is that in my general hardware section of the system profiler, the screen shows:

There was an error while gathering this information.

Otherwise, my onboard video is now QE enabled. All that and I'm just waiting for the 9600gso to arrive.

Oh and I did have to reapply my mods for the video,sound,and wifi card. After the update...

Lol no worries, i'm around! I love these forums. And you had better luck than me with that update. Maybe it was nvinject drivers. When your card gets in try that method i posted to create your own efi string, its really simple. You should be fine with that card I think. I'll write up a simpler guide if need be.

Hi. I installed your modified bios and setup and there is no problem. I had the 07 version with two cores enabled and now bios updated and two cores enabled two (i have an e4600)

I recommend this mb to my girlfriend and a E8400, but with 07 bios the FSB was being misread it, and with 08 only one core was enabled. In this days I will install her your bios.

Like JaE-V said, this cheap mb, with 4GB RAM and an E8400 is a very good option.

Thank you very much. And to JaE-V too.

I did it with the same utility they give you when you download the bios from ecs and it worked awesome. I couldnt even boot up my leo installation with the unmodified version latest update. My advice to everyone is to grab this bios and an E8400 lol.

Lol no worries, i'm around! I love these forums. And you had better luck than me with that update. Maybe it was nvinject drivers. When your card gets in try that method i posted to create your own efi string, its really simple. You should be fine with that card I think. I'll write up a simpler guide if need be.

Hey JaE-V, I looked a the link you posted, not sure what I should choose for the 9600gso, none of the options in that page seem compatible?

Hi there,

I have just installed JAS 10.5.4 DVD with this motherboard version 3.0. At first it was a mess. Then I downloaded the bios update from the ECS webpage:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Downloads...d=1&LanID=0

This downloads a zip file, the bios update and the program to install the update are inside.

Then I set this way thing in the BIOS (CMOS):

CPU ID limit: DISABLE

XDBit: ENABLE

SPEEDSTEP: DISABLE

APICMODE: DISABLE

HPET: ENABLE

And finally the OS X boots until the desktop, otherwise the computer was in a continous rebooting.

Hey JaE-V, I looked a the link you posted, not sure what I should choose for the 9600gso, none of the options in that page seem compatible?

Lol there's so many ones of that card? Do you have the one with the 384mb of video memory or the 512mb, or the 256mb? Let me know

the 384mb

That card will be tricky then. Your best bet would be to send aquamac a msg and ask him to make you one of those premade templates like in that link i posted. You just need the in.plist and the gfxutil for an 384mb card. He should know what your talking about. Also the latest EFI studio has an installer for the 8800gs which has the same amount of video ram. Could be worth a shot.

Hi.

I dont understand what is and how works the 132-boot method.

If I use this method and i install 10.5.0 from retail dvd, can i update to 10.5.5 using the combo update?

What about sound and video card?

Thank you.

I explained it briefly a page back i think. And to quickly answer your question yes you can update with software updater. But however the best method you can go about is

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167 v4.3 for the advanced user, its quite simple. Best route if you happen to have two drives.

That card will be tricky then. Your best bet would be to send aquamac a msg and ask him to make you one of those premade templates like in that link i posted. You just need the in.plist and the gfxutil for an 384mb card. He should know what your talking about. Also the latest EFI studio has an installer for the 8800gs which has the same amount of video ram. Could be worth a shot.

Okay thanks, I'll try both of those suggestions. I just received the card y'day and can't wait to play with it, to get it working.

BTW, nice new pic