(mostly) successful Leopard install on ECS 945GCT-M/1333

ducman

341 posts in this topic

Hi.

I will install leopard using the 4.3 guide that jae-v recommend.

I have doubts about drivers for audio and video.

I have a GFX 7200gs and using nvinstaller, should i use efi studio?

And for audio, there is another solution that posted in the first page of the topic or there is another with efi studio? Works out of the box with retail install?

Thank you.

I did a retail install using an EFI partition, and even following all the instructions I can not get audio working with the instructions, I even made my own dump and tried that using ktheurer instructions. Not sure what I am doing wrong? I drop the codec dump on the patcher, wait until it repairs permissions, reboot then copy the included AppleHDA.kext in the package with the patcher over the one in System/Library/Extensions, repair permission, reboot, still nothing in System Profiler.

kd7skx what smbios fix did you select? what did it fix even?

my only issue with ideneb 10.5.5 is that it will not give me sound and only uses 1 of my 2 cores on my e7200

For me I have ideneb running with the following

ICHx fix, Jmicron fix

vanilla kernel

nvjector 512

AHCI fix

Thanks for posting your settings. Are you using the built in video (intel GMA950)? If so, do you have all resolutions available?

Looks like I need to give ideneb another try...

SCRAM69 I tryed both the GMA950 and my Nvidia 9800GTX+ and they both work fine. Show full resolution.

I strongly urge you to flash your bios with the modded bios provided in this thread IF you cannot get past the boot screen but have installed successfully. It worked for me when I flashed my bios.

I strongly urge you to flash your bios with the modded bios provided in this thread IF you cannot get past the boot screen but have installed successfully. It worked for me when I flashed my bios.

Raven,

Thanks - I flashed using the one posted by MacMan2007 on page 12 of this thread (moddedbios.zip) - if that's the one you are referring to. What a PITA - I had to install XP since I don't have a floppy drive (hey - it's supposed to be a mac, right?) just to do the flash. After that, I tried kalyway, and since that worked, I never went back to iDeneb. I plan to add a second HDD so I don't have to destroy my working install to experiment with others.

Well since you already got a good how to I guess there is no need for me to do one. I did redo my system on a dual boot of XP and 10.5.5. I installed xp normally on partition, installed osx on the other one using atkos 4. after the install I ran the script for using when updating and ran the update to 10.5.5 and rebooted. I installed the drivers from the pages at the beginning to get everything working.

mainecrab:

1. Did you flash your BIOS? If yes, which one did you use? The one from ECS website or the modified BIOS from this thread?

2. What method did you use to upgrade to 10.5.5?

3. Does sleep work for you?

4. It'll be great if you could share the steps to achieve dual booting

I have an ECS 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0 running 10.5 using retail install (boot123 + Chameleon).

Thanks

I did not modify my Bios in anyway. I am using the stock bios of the motherboard. Id have to check when I get home to see what version that is.

To update I ran the Apple 10.5.5 update while running the command line script like this thread says:

Before you run the downloaded file,

open up Terminal and type:

sudo su -

Enter your user password and then type:

while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done

3. Keep this window open while you run the downloaded update and install

it

4. Before you reboot, exit the Terminal script by holding down Ctrl and

pressing X (Ctrl + X).

Close Terminal and hit the button on the Update to reboot your computer.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...hp/t126344.html

Actually im running Vista now in a dual boot using EasyBCD:

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

But installing OSX after Vista messed up boot loader as I have EFI running on that too for Vista lol. I fixed that issue with the Windows DVD and installed EasyBCD to choose between Vista and OSX. When I choose OSX it shows me the Darwin Bootloader.

Works good for me. Reason I did not update or use hacked bios is with Atkos4 I did not have any issues with cores being detected. I haven't used the Kalway DVD so I can't really help you there

I hope someone can help me out. I have the ECS 945GCT-M/1333 motherboard with vista and osx Kalyway 10.5.3 on it. This is my home theatre PC so i also have an avermedia m780 card in the pcix1 slot. The problem is that I was getting kernel panics all the time for no apparent cause until i removed the avermedia. Now the system is very stable and I havent had any problems so I know that the avermedia tv card was my problem. However, i absolutely have to have this card for vista MCE since I use this card with my 47" lcd tv. I would like to know what my options are? Is there any way to "disable" the avermedia card in osx ( like in windows) so that the card does not cause any problems even though it is physically installed in the machine? I would hate to have to keep opening the computer and swapping the card in and out.

I've done my due diligence, and I can't find anything on how to get multiple resolutions out of the onboard video card, so I'm posting here. Could someone point me in the right direction? I have version 3 of this motherboard.

Thanks.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz, 2 gigs RAM, onboard sound, video and ethernet, USB mouse and PS/2 keyboard, IDE DVD-RW, 500-gig SATA HDD. iDeneb v. 1.3 10.5.5, dual-booted with WinXP using Darwin bootloader. Flashed motherboard with BIOS update from this thread.

Not working: sound, multiple resolutions. All else perfect.

I've done my due diligence, and I can't find anything on how to get multiple resolutions out of the onboard video card, so I'm posting here. Could someone point me in the right direction? I have version 3 of this motherboard.

Thanks.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz, 2 gigs RAM, onboard sound, video and ethernet, USB mouse and PS/2 keyboard, IDE DVD-RW, 500-gig SATA HDD. iDeneb v. 1.3 10.5.5, dual-booted with WinXP using Darwin bootloader. Flashed motherboard with BIOS update from this thread.

Not working: sound, multiple resolutions. All else perfect.

I have multiple resolutions working using Kalyway 10.5.2 and selecting the GMA950 under "customize" during the installation. There are a number of threads on this board discussing GMA950/multiple rez, but I have not come across anyone getting it working using iDeneb 1.3., even with choosing the GMA950 under customize. I tried myself with iDeneb, and was finally able to get things working after much screwing around with kexts, but a that point I had broken shutdown.

I plan to dry again this weekend with a fresh install of iDeneb, replacing kexts from my kalyway 10.5.2 install one by one, testing shutdown each time, to see if I can get multiple rez without breaking shutdown or reboot.

As far as sound, you should give the method from the first page of this thread a try, but, as I mention above, make YOUR OWN codec dump.

An update -

I tried again with iDeneb 10.5.5... I replaced AppleIntelGMA950.kext and AppleIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext with those from my kalyway 10.5.2 install, fixed permissions, and rebooted. The resolutions were fixed, but shutdown/restart was broken. If I just replaced the GMA950.kext, it would not fix the resolutions.

Conclusion - with 10.5.5 you can have resolutions or shutdown/restart, but not both.

• 2 weeks later...

Try this link for the Video:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/y4fw9m

This file works for my onboard video when I was using it. My Shutdown Reboot was not messed up with it. Use KextHelper or OSX86Tools to install easier. Use another DVD to install Atkos 4 has been best for me. After install just have to install sound and video and your done.

Also sleep doesnt seem to work with my machine as well. Easy to fix. Just dont put it to sleep. Though when I shutdown sometimes it goes to sleep mode. Make it when it doesnt sleep the disk and the display only

This file works for my onboard video when I was using it. My Shutdown Reboot was not messed up with it.

Thanks for the link. I may give it a try... is that the only kext you had to replace?

But I may have found another solution.

Since I have a retail 10.5.4, last night I tried the Retail 10.5.4 method from the thread Jae-V mentioned earlier in this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167#

It has since been updated to include upgrade to 10.5.5 using the apple combo updater. I guess this is similar to what you did, except you used Atkos.

I followed the guide in the first post, downloading the script and apps (I had to download the combo updater directly from apple).

In the post-patch.sh script, I commented out the AppleHDA stuff since that is for a different chipset. Otherwise, I left the script alone.

After step 5 (installing Chameleon), I fixed the video using the GMA950 patch files from step 2.4 of the first post of this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113623

I used kext helper to install all of the files from that download (kexts and bundles).

After rebooting, I had all the resolutions for my monitor (dell 19" LCD) available. But it hung on shutdown!!!!

So, I went ahead and ran the HDA app included in the download from the Retail 10.5.4 post. I dropped the codec dump (that I made using an Ubuntu Live CD) onto that app and restarted. The sound still didn't work (I'm using a Griffin Imic anyway), but shutdown was fixed.

Alternately, I may try again through step 5, and use the kext from your link.

If you have the retail disk, this seems to be a fairly straightforward way to get to a working 10.5.5 on this mobo. One important caveat - when I first got the board, I updated the BIOS using the modified one from macman on page 12 of this thread... without it, I couldn't boot post install at all.

This file works for my onboard video when I was using it. My Shutdown Reboot was not messed up with it. Use KextHelper or OSX86Tools to install easier. Use another DVD to install Atkos 4 has been best for me. After install just have to install sound and video and your done.

Also sleep doesnt seem to work with my machine as well. Easy to fix. Just dont put it to sleep. Though when I shutdown sometimes it goes to sleep mode. Make it when it doesnt sleep the disk and the display only

OK, so I think I have perfected the retail install to 10.5.5 for this mobo...

As I mentioned in my previous post, I used the guide and files from the retail DVD thread (1st post)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167#

Through Step 5.

Then, I replaced the AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext with the one from the link provided by mainecrab above. This fixed my monitor resolutions, but shutdown was still broke.

Then I fixed the sound using the files from ktheurer on the first page of this thread EXCEPT I used my own codec dump (obtained using ubuntu live cd)

Finally, to fix shutdown, I downloaded the OpenHaltRestat.kext that has bee floating around:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=34563

There it is - everything works except sleep. I even backed up/restored from Time machine last night!

To make the process simpler, you could get the kexts for video and shutdown beforehand and use the post-patch.sh script from the retail DVD guide to install them with the rest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm running 10.5.6

Installed per v4.4 from this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167

I think there's a typo in the post-patch.sh file, 4th line should read Destination=Macintosh rather than Destination=boot. The comment proceeding that line will then make sense.

All works fine with 2 exceptions.

The EFI v9 Darwin boot screen flies by so fast you can't read it. The EFI v8 I previously used had a count down which allowed some options. Not sure what I can do about that. [Just solved this one by editing the com.apple.boot.plist file to add Timeout=8 (8 is a string type not number), This is as described in the bootHelp.txt file located within the bootloader.pkg]

...and Time Machine kinda works except when I pull down to "Enter Time Machine" it opens just one other Finder window and doesn't go any further, no perspective image with numerous backups, no starlit background. The one Finder window it does open is fairly unresponsive. It was the same way for me with my Kayway 10.5.2-10.5.4 install on the same machine.

Is there a Fix for this?.

Gregg

FYI to all, if you want to use the onboard video and not wait for an nvidia card see the following post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=793316

I built a second system a while back for my wife and ran windows. Finally blew away windows due to slowness and installed OSX from retail DVD, put on the 10.5.6 combo update, installed EFI_v9(See the LTL thread in my sig), and finally copied the kexts from the link above and fixed permissions. Rebooted and I was able to change video modes to something her 22" Samsung supports.

Now I only need solution for the onboard sound. until then, the $4 ebay usb sound fob will work. :)

OK All, I got the onboard video to work perfectly. Sorry for those of you on 10.5.2, it doesn't work on that. I have it running perfectly on 10.5.3, and i'm sure it runs on everything above it.

I have attached a compressed folder with everything you will need, including the aml. Just be sure to read the "READMEFIRST". I compiled this myself using Dr. Hurt's theory (Here).

I hope it works for everyone else!!!

DSDT_and_Bootloader.zip

• 2 weeks later...
OK All, I got the onboard video to work perfectly. Sorry for those of you on 10.5.2, it doesn't work on that. I have it running perfectly on 10.5.3, and i'm sure it runs on everything above it.

I have attached a compressed folder with everything you will need, including the aml. Just be sure to read the "READMEFIRST". I compiled this myself using Dr. Hurt's theory (Here).

I hope it works for everyone else!!!

DSDT_and_Bootloader.zip

Does anyone want to tell me if it works?

i can confirm this mobo with the latest bios works on vanilla kext of 10.5.6 using modded DSDT.aml and PC EFI9, except sound still need to be modded to make it work.

edit : sorry, i'm not using yr dsdt but i made it myself with dr hurt's theory

Does anyone want to tell me if it works?