CardBus/PCMCIA PC Cards for Leopard

~Eureka

1,073 posts in this topic

Hi,

Do you see any message in log file when it happen?

kizwan

The only messages that seem to be related to this problem are this, just before loading the PCMCIA drivers:

When it works:

Mar 20 12:16:28 localhost kernel[0]: USBF: 0.663 AppleUSBEHCI[0x384a000]: unable to get filterInterruptEventSource

Mar 20 12:16:28 localhost kernel[0]: USBF: 0.663 AppleUSBEHCI[0x384a000]::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)

Mar 20 12:16:28 localhost kernel[0]: USBF: 0.665 AppleUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM

Mar 20 12:16:28 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCCard info: Mac OS X PCMCIA Card Services 3.3.0

Mar 20 12:16:28 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCCard info: options: [pci] [cardbus] [pnp]

Mar 20 12:16:28 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCCard info: Intel ISA/PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:

Mar 20 12:16:28 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCCard info: Ricoh RL5C476 rev ba PCI-to-CardBus phys mem 0x7e100000 virt mem 0x34a57000

Mar 20 12:16:28 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCCard info: host opts [0]: [pci only] [io 3/6/1] [mem 3/6/1] [pci irq 16] [lat 168/176] [bus 22/24]

Mar 20 12:16:28 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCCard info: PCI card interrupts, PCI status changes

When it doesn't work:

Mar 20 12:02:53 localhost kernel[0]: USBF: 0.616 AppleUSBUHCI: unable to initialize UIM

Mar 20 12:02:53 localhost kernel[0]: USBF: 0.620 AppleUSBUHCI: unable to initialize UIM

Mar 20 12:02:53 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCCard info: Mac OS X PCMCIA Card Services 3.3.0

Mar 20 12:02:53 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCCard info: options: [pci] [cardbus] [pnp]

Mar 20 12:02:53 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCCard info: Intel ISA/PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:

Mar 20 12:02:53 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCCard info: Ricoh RL5C476 rev ba PCI-to-CardBus phys mem 0x7e100000 virt mem 0x348f8000

Mar 20 12:02:53 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCCard info: host opts [0]: [pci only] [io 3/6/1] [mem 3/6/1] [pci irq 16] [lat 168/176] [bus 22/24]

Mar 20 12:02:53 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCCard info: PCI card interrupts, PCI status changes

There's another thing that happen togheter with the USB issue, the fan keeps running for several seconds at shutdown before the PC actually shuts down.

Hi elcheT61,

I don't know what exactly caused it but maybe IOPCIFamily.kext v3.3.0 (included with IOPCMCIAFamily.kext) may have conflict with your hardware. Perhaps it unable to initialize the devices properly. Since you need PCMCIA, you don't have much choice if you're on 10.5.6. Did you try Slice's driver for USB 2.0? Try go to this thread:-

USB 2.0 for Leopard, Also with sleep support. Last release.

Good luck. :)

kizwan

Hi elcheT61,

I don't know what exactly caused it but maybe IOPCIFamily.kext v3.3.0 (included with IOPCMCIAFamily.kext) may have conflict with your hardware. Perhaps it unable to initialize the devices properly. Since you need PCMCIA, you don't have much choice if you're on 10.5.6. Did you try Slice's driver for USB 2.0? Try go to this thread:-

USB 2.0 for Leopard, Also with sleep support. Last release.

kizwan

Thanks kizwan, I'm already on Slice's USB drivers. They worked nice but I guess that you're right, I've to accept the situation (not bad really :D ).

The difficulty in trying to understand is that the problem does not always occur, seems to be a bit random.

Bye

The difficulty in trying to understand is that the problem does not always occur, seems to be a bit random.

Bye

I agree. :( It happen to my DVD drive when I'm using 10.5.5 (JaS 10.5.4 updated to 10.5.5 using Software Update). Sometime the DVD drive just disappear, undetected. I don't know what caused it. It really strange....no error message at all.

Actually, if you're using older leopard, for example 10.5.5 & lower, you can try other (older) version like rev8, beta 3 & etc. But if you're using 10.5.6, there is only one version for it. That is why I'm saying you don't have much choice. :( I have tried older version on 10.5.6, it just caused error & kernel panic.

~Eureka also have it own USB driver (AppleUSBController.kext), available at mediafire, the same place where you get the IOPCMCIAFamily.kext. You may want to give it a try. You just need to put it in /System/Library/Extensions/ folder. You also need to put back the original IOUSBFamily.kext, just in case. ~Eureka's driver will override AppleUSBUHCI & AppleUSBEHCI.

kizwan

This is my 3rd post on this thread and I hope this time I get some help :unsure:

I got another laptop from the one described previously, and I have the following question.

I need help figuring out why my PCMIA wireless MN-720 is not being picked up by the OS.

I am running os x 10.5.6 on my HP 2510p, I used Chun-nan pci driver to enable the PCMIA slots.

I bought the MN-720 wireless PCMIA adapter, which has a broadcom chipset that supposed to be natively supported.

However, when I insert the card, I can see it on the finder bar with an option to turn it off, and two grayed out options "Broadcom and "802.11b cardbus" however the Airport icon is not being displayed.

Looking at dmesg, I see that the cardbus has been activated

IOPCCard info: cs: cb_free(bus 3)

IOPCCard: shutting down socket 0.

IOPCCard: calling terminate on socket 0 function 0 nub 0x3b39000.

IOCardBusDevice: releasing socket 0 function 0 from card services.

IOPCCard info: cs: cb_alloc(bus 3): vendor 0x14e4, device 0x4325

IOPCCard info: cs: cb_alloc(bus 3): found 1 functions

IOCardBusDevice: binding socket 0 function 0 to card services.

IOPCCard info: cs: cb_config(bus 3)

IOPCCard info: fn 0 bar 1: mem 0xa0002000-0xa0003fff

IOPCCard info: irq 18

I also double checked the info file for AppleAirPortBrcm4311 and made sure that my model ID is there

<string>pci14e4,4325</string>

and it seems that the "AppleAirPortBrcm4311" driver is not seeing the card or something.

ioreg does not show the driver being used

| | +-o C0B1@1E <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 12>

| | | +-o IOPCI2PCIBridge <class IOPCI2PCIBridge, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 13>

| | | +-o C2A2@6 <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 8>

| | | | +-o IOPCCardBridge <class IOPCCardBridge, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | | | +-o pci14e4,4325@0 <class IOCardBusDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 9>

| | | +-o pci1180,843@6,3 <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 6>

| | | +-o pci1180,822@6,2 <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 6>

| | | +-o pci1180,832@6,1 <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 8>

| | | +-o AppleFWOHCI <class AppleFWOHCI, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 6>

although kexstat shows that the driver is being loaded

bash-3.2# kextstat | grep -i air

82 0 0x4091a000 0x141000 0x140000 com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx (361.24.1) <81 76 17 7 6 5 4 2>

Any idea what's going on and why the OS is not assigning .AirPortBrcm43xx to my card so I can use wireless.

Any suggestion is very appreciated

Thanks

danillll, have you try to configure the device in System Preferences (Network)?

Hello Kizwan,

First Thanks a lot for your reply, I am so glad somebody is trying to help me :angel:

When I go to system preferences -> network, I only see my

ethernet (activated), bluetooth and firewire listed there.

If I try to add a new interface, I don't get an option to add a wireless interface, is there anything specific I need to do?

I also tried to edit the network interface and changed en0 to en1 with no luck.

It looks to me that the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext is not getting assigned to the wireless card, so not sure what to do.

Hi danillll,

Please post your ioreg. You can obtain it from System Profiler (Logs). Also if possible system.log. It located at "/var/log" folder.

Maybe we can find what is going wrong in this files. :(

kizwan

Thanks again Kizwan, I will post them once I get home.

BTW I have a snippet of the both system.log and ioreg in my previous post, but I will get the complete logs once I finish work.

Thanks a lot.

ioreg

Hi danillll,

The ioreg that you posted is not complete. Can you post the one from the System Profiler? It is in the "Logs" section.

ioregsp.th.jpg

Copy & paste to text editor.

EDIT: I can't find your previous post. Can you provide the post number? I think your card is disabled or not getting any power at all.

1) Does the LED on the card lit?

2) Which release did you use? iDeneb, iPC, retail or etc?

3) Can you tell me about your wired network card?

I'll wait the complete ioreg from you.

Good luck. :(

kizwan

Hi danillll,

The ioreg that you posted is not complete. Can you post the one from the System Profiler? It is in the "Logs" section.

ioregsp.th.jpg

Copy & paste to text editor.

EDIT: I can't find your previous post. Can you provide the post number? I think your card is disabled or not getting any power at all.

I'll wait the complete ioreg from you.

Good luck. :D

kizwan

Hello Kizwan,

Sorry about that, this is the ioreg as requested

new ioreg

Yep, it does lit

I used both iDeneb and IPC 10.5.6 with the same issue.

FYI, I use Chun-nan kext to enable the PCMIA

The wired connection works perfectly, I am using Intel82566MM.kext and I only had to edit its info file to match the right version for IOPCIFamily which changed after loading chun-nan's fix

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>

<string>2.4</string>

Hope you find my issue :D

thanks a lot

Hi danillll,

Your card is not detected as a "network" card. It just detected as "cardbus" adapter. It mean OS X don't know what function your card have. I'm honestly don't know why. According to my search, your card should be working.

Can you list the packages that you select during installation? Did you select driver for wireless during installation? It is best not to select any driver for wireless (and wired) during installation. One more thing, your network (wired) card is not listed in your ioreg. Just like there is no network card installed/detected which explain why this message appear in your log file:-

Mar 23 19:56:25 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc activateSettings[85]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 23 19:56:25 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc ManagedClient[86]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 23 19:56:25 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc com.apple.loginwindow[21]: 2009-03-23 19:56:25.741 ManagedClient[86:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 23 19:56:25 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc /System/Library/CoreServices/ManagedClient.app/Contents/MacOS/ManagedClient[86]: ODUEthernetAddress(): GetEthernetAddress()== 5

Mar 23 19:56:25 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc loginwindow[21]: Login Window Started Security Agent

Mar 23 19:56:25 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc authorizationhost[87]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 23 19:56:26 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc SecurityAgent[88]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 23 19:56:26 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc authorizationhost[87]: MechanismInvoke 0x1d2a990 retainCount 2

Mar 23 19:56:26 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc SecurityAgent[88]: MechanismInvoke 0x5b01620 retainCount 1

Mar 23 19:56:26 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc SecurityAgent[88]: MechanismDestroy 0x5b01620 retainCount 1

Mar 23 19:56:26 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc loginwindow[21]: Login Window - Returned from Security Agent

Mar 23 19:56:26 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc authorizationhost[87]: MechanismDestroy 0x1d2a990 retainCount 2

Mar 23 19:56:26 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc loginwindow[21]: USER_PROCESS: 21 console

Mar 23 19:56:26 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.UserEventAgent-LoginWindow[84]): Exited: Terminated

Mar 23 19:56:26 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc ServerScanner[96]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 23 19:56:26 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc AirPort Base Station Agent[93]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 23 19:56:27 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc Spotlight[97]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Mar 23 19:56:27 curtiss-hp-compaq-2510p-notebook-pc ATSServer[101]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

I think you maybe need to reinstall your OS X. :rolleyes:

kizwan

Hi danillll,

Your card is not detected as a "network" card. It just detected as "cardbus" adapter. It mean OS X don't know what function your card have. I'm honestly don't know why. According to my search, your card should be working.

Can you list the packages that you select during installation? Did you select driver for wireless during installation? It is best not to select any driver for wireless (and wired) during installation. One more thing, your network (wired) card is not listed in your ioreg. Just like there is no network card installed/detected which explain why this message appear in your log file:-

I think you maybe need to reinstall your OS X. :rolleyes:

kizwan

kizwan,

Thanks for looking into this.

When I collected the system.log, I didn't have my ethernet card activated yet and this is the reason you saw the error.

For the packages, I use vanila kernel with only mouse/keyboard patch fix as well as power mgmt to display the battery.

I didn't install any wireless or network drivers.

I installed IPC and IDneb 3 times now :D , but

Hi danillll,

For power management, which selection did you chose? Can you try reinstall iPC again? :( In addition to what you usually select during install, also select AppleSMBIOS patch (AppleSMBIOSEFI or SMBIOSResolver). For power management, just select AppleACPIBatteryManager by Chun-Nan.

kizwan

Hi danillll,

For power management, which selection did you chose? Can you try reinstall iPC again? :D In addition to what you usually select during install, also select AppleSMBIOS patch (AppleSMBIOSEFI or SMBIOSResolver). For power management, just select AppleACPIBatteryManager by Chun-Nan.

kizwan

Kizwan,

I will try it tonight right after work.

I haven't tried the AppleSMBIOS patch so maybe it will help and I will also make sure to use Chun-Nan BatteryManager.

It's a newbie question, but wht is the AppleSMBIOS for?

Thanks

It's a newbie question, but wht is the AppleSMBIOS for?

Thanks

Patched version of AppleSMBIOS is for proper hardware detection. ;) Some application do some checking before launch, like model of the PC. For example, if it found out that the model of the PC is not "Mac", it may crash. The objective is to make your PC identified like original Mac.

+-o Root  <class IORegistryEntry, retain 28>
 | {
 |   "IORegistryPlanes" = {"IOService"="IOService","IOPower"="IOPower","IODeviceTree"="IODeviceTree","IOUSB"="IOUSB","IOACPIPlane"="IOACPIPlane"}
 |   "OS Build Version" = "9G55"
 |   "IOConsoleUsers" = ({"kCGSSessionOnConsoleKey"=Yes,"kCGSessionLoginDoneKey"=Yes,"kCGSSessionLoginwindowSafeLogin"=No,"kCGSSessionAuditIDKey"=0x0,"kCGSSessionUserIDKey"=0x1f5,"kSCSecuritySessionID"=0x820950,"kCGSSessionSystemSafeBoot"=No,"kCGSSessionUserNameKey"="kizwan","kCGSSessionGroupIDKey"=0x14,"kCGSSessionConsoleSetKey"=0x0,"kCGSSessionIDKey"=0x100,"kCGSessionLongUserNameKey"="kizwan"}$
 |   "IOMaximumMappedIOByteCount" = 0x20000000
 |   "IOKitBuildVersion" = "Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386"
 |   "IOKitDiagnostics" = {"IOMalloc allocation"=0xa8da53,"Instance allocation"=0x21ded8,"Classes"={"IOPMPowerSource"=0x1,"CHUDUtils"=0x1,"IOHIDConsumer"=0x0,"DspFuncDummy"=0x0,"AppleUSBComposite"=0x0,"IONVShared"=0x1,"DspFuncDRC"=0x0,"IOUSBPipe"=0x16,"AppleHDAFunctionGroupWM8800"=0x0,"IOHIDEventSystemUserClient"=0x2,"IOUSBMassStorageClass"=0x1,"IOHIDEventServiceQueue"=0x0,"IOSerialDriverSync"=0$
 |   "IONDRVFramebufferGeneration" = <0200000002000000>
 |   "IOStartupMkextCRC" = <943c28bb>
 | }
 | 
 +-o MacBookPro4,1  <class IOPlatformExpertDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 41>
| {
|   "IOBusyInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"
|   "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0")
|   "IOPlatformSerialNumber" = "SECRETSERIAL"

kizwan

Patched version of AppleSMBIOS is for proper hardware detection. ;) Some application do some checking before launch, like model of the PC. For example, if it found out that the model of the PC is not "Mac", it may crash. The objective is to make your PC identified like original Mac.

+-o Root  <class IORegistryEntry, retain 28>
  | {
  |   "IORegistryPlanes" = {"IOService"="IOService","IOPower"="IOPower","IODeviceTree"="IODeviceTree","IOUSB"="IOUSB","IOACPIPlane"="IOACPIPlane"}
  |   "OS Build Version" = "9G55"
  |   "IOConsoleUsers" = ({"kCGSSessionOnConsoleKey"=Yes,"kCGSessionLoginDoneKey"=Yes,"kCGSSessionLoginwindowSafeLogin"=No,"kCGSSessionAuditIDKey"=0x0,"kCGSSessionUserIDKey"=0x1f5,"kSCSecuritySessionID"=0x820950,"kCGSSessionSystemSafeBoot"=No,"kCGSSessionUserNameKey"="kizwan","kCGSSessionGroupIDKey"=0x14,"kCGSSessionConsoleSetKey"=0x0,"kCGSSessionIDKey"=0x100,"kCGSessionLongUserNameKey"="kizwan"}$
  |   "IOMaximumMappedIOByteCount" = 0x20000000
  |   "IOKitBuildVersion" = "Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386"
  |   "IOKitDiagnostics" = {"IOMalloc allocation"=0xa8da53,"Instance allocation"=0x21ded8,"Classes"={"IOPMPowerSource"=0x1,"CHUDUtils"=0x1,"IOHIDConsumer"=0x0,"DspFuncDummy"=0x0,"AppleUSBComposite"=0x0,"IONVShared"=0x1,"DspFuncDRC"=0x0,"IOUSBPipe"=0x16,"AppleHDAFunctionGroupWM8800"=0x0,"IOHIDEventSystemUserClient"=0x2,"IOUSBMassStorageClass"=0x1,"IOHIDEventServiceQueue"=0x0,"IOSerialDriverSync"=0$
  |   "IONDRVFramebufferGeneration" = <0200000002000000>
  |   "IOStartupMkextCRC" = <943c28bb>
  | }
  | 
  +-o MacBookPro4,1  <class IOPlatformExpertDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 41>
 | {
 |   "IOBusyInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"
 |   "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0")
 |   "IOPlatformSerialNumber" = "SECRETSERIAL"

kizwan

Kizwan,

Thanks for the explanation.

which one of these shall I try first (AppleSMBIOSEFI or SMBIOSResolver)

and to make sure, I just pickup only one from this list, AppleSMBIOSEFI or SMBIOSResolver

▼ AppleSMBIOS Patch

AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 1066MHz

AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 800MHz

AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 667MHz

AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 DDR3 1333MHz

AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 MacBook

AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 MacBook DDR2

AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 Mac

AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 iMac

AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev6 MacBook

AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev6 iMac

AppleSMBIOS AnV MacPro

AppleSMBIOS AnV MacBookPro

AppleSMBIOS ToH

AppleSMBIOS-28

AppleSMBIOSEFI

SMBIOSResolver

Kizwan,

Thanks for the explanation.

which one of these shall I try first (AppleSMBIOSEFI or SMBIOSResolver)

and to make sure, I just pickup only one from this list, AppleSMBIOSEFI or SMBIOSResolver

danillll,

Please try with SMBIOSResolver first.

kizwan

danillll,

Please try with SMBIOSResolver first.

kizwan

Kizwan,

Thanks for your help in last 2 days. I tried a new install with your suggestions but still not working, same as before, the card is identified but not being assigned to the driver. I kinda gave up on this, I guess I will wait on my friend to let me borrow his dell d620 which seems to be 99% fully functional.

Thanks again

Kizwan,

Thanks for your help in last 2 days. I tried a new install with your suggestions but still not working, same as before, the card is identified but not being assigned to the driver. I kinda gave up on this, I guess I will wait on my friend to let me borrow his dell d620 which seems to be 99% fully functional.

Thanks again

danillll,

FYI, I have Linksys Wireless-G WPC54G ver. 3 (PCMCIA) (broadcom - device id 4318) & it is working on my Acer Aspire 3680 with iPC 10.5.6. I also have DW 1395 (internal - mini-pcie card) (dell wireless - broadcom - device id 4315) in other laptop. If you're going to buy one try find either this two card. For the linksys WPC54G, remember that you need to find exactly "ver. 3" because any other version may have different chipset which may not compatible at all.

kizwan

danillll,

FYI, I have Linksys Wireless-G WPC54G ver. 3 (PCMCIA) (broadcom - device id 4318) & it is working on my Acer Aspire 3680 with iPC 10.5.6. I also have DW 1395 (internal - mini-pcie card) (dell wireless - broadcom - device id 4315) in other laptop. If you're going to buy one try find either this two card. For the linksys WPC54G, remember that you need to find exactly "ver. 3" because any other version may have different chipset which may not compatible at all.

kizwan

Kizwan,

do you mind if you post your system.log and ioreg from the laptop with pcmcia, I just want to see how it identifies the card and compare.

thanks,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100, and I wanted to test this but I am having kernel panics. Anyway to use your current AHCI driver with this, once I do the dmesg | grep pc, it messes that stuff up, or I think it is the AHCI driver no longer working. I did boot the iatkos install and chose the AHCI driver individually for install and it still has a kernel panic. Help. Please. ;)

I have Sierra 875 a UMTS 3G PC Card. the device is working for the first time and can connect to the internet only once after I install IOPCMCIAFamily.KEXT and PCI Utils using OSX86Tools. but the problem is when I reboot the system, the device stop working but the system still recognize it as a PCMCIA connected with the lid still on, but the Watcher didn't recognize the card anymore, sierra modem use to connect to the net using their application called Watcher/3G Watcher. a .pkg is including a driver for it's modem. I'am using OSX86 10.5.6 Retail and NEC PCMCIA card reader.

does anyone have the same problem as I am? I really need to make this device to operate. any clue for this problem? should I post dmesg, LSPCI and information from system profiler?