INSTALL GUIDE FOR GA-P35-DS3L ( EFI_v8 + Vanilla Kernel + Reboot + Shutdown ( No SLEEP )

meww

99 posts in this topic

I have Sleep. To wake from sleep i know i can press power button, not sure if keyboard does the trick though.

Restart Works

Shutdown works about 1/2 the time

OS Release: Kalyway 10.5.1

Bios Rev: IDK

Motherboard Rev: IDK

ACPI Suspend Type :Default : [s3(STR)]

Soft off by PWR BTTN: [Delay 4 sec.]

PME Event Wake up:Default: [Enabled]

Power on by Ring :Default: [Enabled]

Resume by Alarm: Default: [Enabled]

HPET Support [Enabled]

HPET Mode: 32-bit mode (i had it at 64 bit, no noticeable difference, but i wanted to install xpx86)

Power on by mouse: Default Disabled

---------------Keyboard: Default: Disabled

AC Back Function: Default: Disabled

Now onto my question. I had the RealtekR1000 kext working fine for a while. On one random startup, leopard doesnt load all the way. I boot into Safe and remove that kext, i can then go back into leopard normally.. now without internet.. when i reinstall the kext, i get the same problem. Does anyone know why this is happening? does anyone know an alternate solution for this ethernet? thanks

You have this motherboard correct? I used kalyway. I do not know if kalyway detected them as at the time i only had my hardrive and dvd drive on ports 0 and 1. But i now use all 4 ports (3 Hardrives) all show up perfectly in Leopard... idk about the install disk tho.. i havent checked. Idk if it makes a difference but i dont have AHCI turned on.. i had it on at first but i noticed no difference in leopard or vista.. and quite frankly i wanted to run xp.. and the AHCI boot takes to long. i would take that off if on... now that i think about it.. when i had ahci on leopard did not see my other 2 drives. Turn AHCI off and i think you will see all 4 ports of sata. Also idk if it makes adifference, but i changed sata mode from legacy to native.

Edit: im just gonna reinstall Leopard as it was working originally and i dont know how to fix my ethernet now. While im there, i will check to see if all my drives are detected for you Anibalin

Anyone any word with my ethernet problem? thanks

You have this motherboard correct? I used kalyway. I do not know if kalyway detected them as at the time i only had my hardrive and dvd drive on ports 0 and 1. But i now use all 4 ports (3 Hardrives) all show up perfectly in Leopard... idk about the install disk tho.. i havent checked. Idk if it makes a difference but i dont have AHCI turned on.. i had it on at first but i noticed no difference in leopard or vista.. and quite frankly i wanted to run xp.. and the AHCI boot takes to long. i would take that off if on... now that i think about it.. when i had ahci on leopard did not see my other 2 drives. Turn AHCI off and i think you will see all 4 ports of sata. Also idk if it makes adifference, but i changed sata mode from legacy to native.

Edit: im just gonna reinstall Leopard as it was working originally and i dont know how to fix my ethernet now. While im there, i will check to see if all my drives are detected for you Anibalin

Anyone any word with my ethernet problem? thanks

To comment on the sata ports issue, the reason all 4 ports are recognized in your case is because you used Kalyway's dvd and you probably used the AppleViaATA.kext that came with it. without that kext, the last 2 ports (port 2 and 3) won't be recognized no matter if you turn AHCI on or not.

As for you network card issue, do you have a wireless card as well?

Also, AHCI makes my vista unbootable for some reason. I didn't bother to install my vista with F6 + AHCI floppy disk driver method as I don't have a floppy disk drive. I tried to change the registry and make vista boot with AHCI driver instead of PCIIDE driver. It didn't work, only makes my vista boot hang... forever... So I turned it off. But I indeed noticed that without AHCI, my Leopard boot slower. I know the initial load of AHCI did take little extra time in boot.

On a seperate note, you can boot your XP in AHCI mode with little registry hack and intel iastor.sys driver.

Ok i reinstalled. Still having tremendous trouble with ethernet. Without patching i get self assigned ip error. I cannot fix it at all. It has nothing to do with vista being installed because i removed it before reinstalling Leopard. So now i have leopard using all of my 10k rapter (70gb)... and with AHCI now. Of course all my Data drives dont show up.. my drives on the last 2 ports.. How do i fix that? Anyway back to the ethernet... I have gotten it to work one time.. but like i said above, it randomely stopped booting and the rtl1000 driver i used to get it working stopped my leopard from loading. I do have (temporarily) an Asus wl-167g usb wireless device. The drivers onnly come for tiger and panther.. to get it working for leopard do i need to replace some kexts? IONetworkingFamily? and from which version. I do hope not to use this dinky wireless device for my main internet because for me.. it doesnt make any sense why anyone would use Any wireless device on a Desktop... which isnt going anywhere. thanks

Edit: in response to your bit about vista and AHCI. Vista comes with AHCI drivers.. you can install vista with ahci on and later turn off ahci or on again without affecting it. I know you can do it with xp aswell but u need to hit f6 and a floppy driver and i just dont feel like deeling with that this second.

@mtotho: "idk make the difference" what is that? why are you having ethernet issues? kalyway or iatkos detects the nic right away.

@wigworm: I installed kalyway, as I previously posted, (so it uses appleviaatta.kext) but no way to detect the last two ports. I even grabed it and installed on my other-hdd-with-iatkos-r2 and no_go. So I dont know how to fix this. I dont understand.

I think my Ethernet Card on my motherboard might be screwed up. Ive been having some troubles in windows.. sometimes the nic card doesnt detect anything plugged in, both in windows and leopard. I really have no idea what the problem is.

Also i Set AHCI and used KAlyways, only my first 2 ports are detected. When i take AHCI off all ports are detected. I want to keep AHCI on cause it does load quite a bit faster but i need those extra drives. If anyone has a fix for this please tell.

mtotho, I had no luck whatsoever using your settings. I *think* you might have a revision 1.0 board or something. At this point, I have NO shut down, sleep or restart :) I really would like to have shut down and then restart (in that order).

If anybody else with working shut down and/or restart can fill out that template, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-----------------------------------------

Sleep (Works or Doesn't Work): Not working

If Sleep Works, it comes out of sleep by (pressing keyboard, pressing power button, other?): Doesn't Sleep

Shut Down (Works or Doesn't Work): Not working (it seems to do the whole bit but kill the power)

Restart (Works or Doesn't Work): Not working (it seems to do the whole bit but the 'restart' part)

OS Release (Kalyway, BrazilMac, iATKOS, ToH, etc.): iATKOS Release 2

Motherboard Revision (1.0 or 2.0): 2.0

BIOS Version (F6, F7, F8A, etc.): F8A

Power Management Setup (please fill in values from BIOS below)

ACPI Suspend Type (S1 or S3): S3

Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN: Delay 4 Sec

PME Event Wake Up: Enabled

Power On by Ring: Enabled

Resume by Alarm: Enabled

HPET Support: Enabled

HPET mode: 64-bit

Power On By Mouse: Disabled

Power On By Keyboard: Disabled

AC Back Function: Power Off After Failure

---------------------------------------

@mtotho: same here, ahci off its ok but no good. Its a quite good feature to just disable it. hopefully there will be a fix sooner or later. I too need more than two satas.

email_atif

@email_atif: im using v1 revision, iatkos r2, guid, f5 bios. Sleep sometimes ok. Restart always ok. Shutdown not completely.

@meww, i think you should clean this tutorial, being more detailed, so noobs dont have so many questions.. good tut tho..

@ anybody, what is the point of the virginizer. I know what it does, but is it necessary? i rather like some of the apps.

@meww, i think you should clean this tutorial, being more detailed, so noobs dont have so many questions.. good tut tho..

@ anybody, what is the point of the virginizer. I know what it does, but is it necessary? i rather like some of the apps.

virginizer just leaves the os in a clean state. kalyway comes heavly customized (default wallpaper, icon folders, installed apps, blah blah) virginizer its a script that leaves the os, after installed, as the original 10.5.1 install.

I know what it does, but does it actually make it run smoother.. like does it remove unwanted kexts and unwanted extensions that is not needed for this motherboard.. or this motherboard runs better without... I actually just ended up using kalyways programs that sets everything back to default but keeps the extra apps.. that seems much better than the virginizer imo.

I know what it does, but does it actually make it run smoother.. like does it remove unwanted kexts and unwanted extensions that is not needed for this motherboard.. or this motherboard runs better without... I actually just ended up using kalyways programs that sets everything back to default but keeps the extra apps.. that seems much better than the virginizer imo.

nah i dont think so, its just a cosmetic thing.

the lan does work out of the box... sometimes. Ive been having a lot of trouble with it. You can find a driver in the tutorial section in subforum "ethernet problems and solutions" and there is a link to a installer.

I was having trouble with the LAN too until I was doing some searching and found that if you go into windows and into your ethernet properties you can enable the option Wake On Shutdown (or something like that) in the settings and now I havnt had any problems with it being detected. Just a thought if you havnt already tried this.

Still having issues with this enet card. I'm having the same stuff happening as mtotho. The card keeps giving its' self its own IP address. I've tried the RealtekR1000 and a couple of others to no avail. The card is fully visible by Network Util. I can see the Link speed, Link status, Vendor and Model # RTL8168B/8111B. I first installed the iAtkos v1.0i r2, but I didn't really like it. I them installed Kalyway and hav been much happier. Now if I could only get the Lan working, I'd be a very happy camper. Any ideas?

Chevy

Well somehow, i finally got my lan to work, i didnt really do anything other than many restarts and many unplugging and replugging of the cable. Now to get it to work, everytime i boot up i neeed to remove and plug the ethernet cord back into the computer...otherwise i cant get my dhcp. I have already set my Wake on lan in both windows xp and vista...to little avail i might add.

also i think that rtlr1000 driver is more geared toward other lan cards.. or ours but running tiger.. not leopard. Last time i installed that driver, i couldnt boot into leopard.

Great Tutorial !!

I just completed my build using your guide.

GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2. (Bios ver F8a)

Intel E8400

XFX 7600 GT

Corsair XMS2 4GB

Antec Solo Case and Antec Earthwatts 430 PSU

Samsung 20X DVD Writer

WD 160GB hard drive

Everything works great, except the usual sleep/shutdown. Restart works fine.

I also couldn't get it started with memory installed in dual channel mode, works fine with single channel configuration.

thats wierd you couldnt get it started? do you get a kernel panic? you should try booting up with maxmem=3456 or something lower.. there is a whole thread about this problem with 4gb of ram in dual channell.. if u want to keep in dual channel you can sacrifice some memory. Then again idk ur exact problem.