INSTALL GUIDE FOR GA-P35-DS3L ( EFI_v8 + Vanilla Kernel + Reboot + Shutdown ( No SLEEP )

meww

99 posts in this topic

Yea i have alot of trouble with mine.. but now it works pretty well other than the fact i have to remove the plug and plug it back in every start(if anyone knows how to fix this please tell.. other wise iget self ip error). You should not need any thirdparty drivers.. i dont think its a problem so much with the NIC as it is with other settings.. and i am afraid to say you might experience the same errors with a pci lan. But since you asked.. i would go with this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833180026 . Only cause its on HCL for LEopard and you can buy it on Newegg.

Before you buy it try these things:

-Set wake on lan in all windows OS's

-Turn of the power to your computer (ur psu) for about 10 minutes.

-Turn it back on and boot into leopard and see if it works. If it doesnt then...

-unplug the cable, plug it back in (this is what i have to do upon everyboot)

-or try renew dhcp or changing the settings from manual to auto so it refreshes.

My P35-DS3L is working flawlessly with iAtkos 1.0ir2, well sometimes shutdown/reboot hangs, but i don't really care about that.

My only real problem is I get kernel panics every once in awhile when accessing my 2 IDE DVD drives. Seems to happen maybe every 3rd cd I put in it'll panic right as soon as the door closes, and then sometimes when installing software off a cd it'll panic about 3/4 the way through.

Wonder if it's worth trying Kalyway, because that's the only problem I have, even my HD 3870 works great.

@mtotho: if you set a fixed ip do you have problems? (im sure you tried but maybe its not the nic but the router?)

@rudefyet: reboot /shutdown /sleep, everybody have the same problem, we are in the same boat. But I have to say that it works pretty much ok with this mobo. I also have iatkos r2 and for the sake of it tried kalyway on other hd...not worth in my opinion. Didnt try the ide's really, I just hope to have the two last satas working soon.

Rumors saids that this friday 10.5.2 gets released and myabe there is some legwork there for us.

@ddrdark:q6000 and 4gb here. Thankfully no k.panics. Overclocking?

Reboot/Shutdown/Sleep didnt work for me when I partitioned the drive in MBR but when I partitioned it with GUID I could do all three. Maybe it would work for those having problems to re-partition.

BTW I installed using the Kalyway 10.5.1 disc.

I'm about of buy one of these boards, but I am undecided of the processor, does it really have a huge advantage to have 4 cores @2.4GHz instead of 2 cores @2.6GHz (Q6600 vs E6750) ?

welcome to the club macgirl.:)

it depends, i do renders and for that the q6600 shines. Its 4 cores instead of two. I prefer to have 4 "slower" cores than 2 at faster speeds.

On the other hand the q6600 its a cake to overclock. So i believe the choice its clear, in my humble opinion.

from what I've gathered my IDE issue is because os x + jmicron + sata/ide at the same time = frowny face

But, I did enable native IDE support in the bios and ripped a DVD with no problem, haven't played much since to be sure it fixed the issue

Also just want to add myself as another user who has no probs with 4gb of ram

@mtotho, @ddrdark : re: 4GB dual channel, I can't even get the board to POST, so it's more of a bios/mobo issue I think. I'm using Bios ver F8a beta because of the E8400 processor support. I tried everything from adjusting the voltage, timings and switching memory banks. Didn't help. Settled for Single channel for now.

@trypno: I'm using GUID and shutdown/sleep doesn't work for me. Anything else you did different to get it to work? Any bios changes? I already tried the 4-sec delay in bios and didn't work. For me sleep basically shuts down the system, so I'm just using sleep to shutdown.

@macgirl: If you decide to go dual core, get E8400. It was the same price as E6750 at my local microcenter.

I am having a problem installing kalyway 10.5.1 I setup the harddrive in guid and choose the guid boot partition. THe install gets to 58 minutes and then hangs. I thought maybe it was my ide dvd-rom drive so I hooked up an external usb dvd rom drive. Same problem. I am using 2gigs of ddr2 ram 800mhz, e2180 processor, and a 250gig sata harddrive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Yea i have alot of trouble with mine.. but now it works pretty well other than the fact i have to remove the plug and plug it back in every start(if anyone knows how to fix this please tell.. other wise iget self ip error). You should not need any thirdparty drivers.. i dont think its a problem so much with the NIC as it is with other settings.. and i am afraid to say you might experience the same errors with a pci lan. But since you asked.. i would go with this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833180026 . Only cause its on HCL for LEopard and you can buy it on Newegg.

OK, I finally ethernet to work. Here's what I did..... I went to my local comp. shop and bought a used Realtek 8139 pci lan card and now all is well.:) Cost me $5.00 for the card and saved me from baning my head against that brick wall in front of me. :):) I would suspect at some point in time this RTL8168B/8111B thing will get fixed. I need the net now! $5 buck fix. :)

Cheers,

Chevy

@deeno: i can only suggest updating or downgrading your bios until it works. Many people have tried stuff like this going through every version of the bios. Also did u swap out the ram and make sure its not the sticks of ram at hand?

@Anybody with 4gb: It is a known problem on these forums that 4gb of ram in dual channel.. on almost any motherboard causes sporadic crashing.. especially when ram usage is high. If you dont get these Panics.. good for you.. i on the other hand did get the panics. I did not want to sacrifice dual channel or 4gb in my other operating systems so i set "maxmem=3456" as a boot flag. This gives me a total ram of 3.38gb and i have yet to see a crash since.

@ anybody having problems with their install.. I cannot attest for any other configuration other than mine.. but i can say that i have:

-WD 10k Raptor on sata port 0 (leopard)

-Seagate 320gb on sata port 1 (XP, Vista*, Data partitions)

-LiteON DVD Drive on sata port 2

I have AHCI disabled (only cause i would not be able to see my ports 2 and 3) and cause i didnt feel like loading the ahci drivers for xp. I have Enabled AHCI and tested Xbench and stability... i see no difference without AHCI.

I have Sata mode to Native IDE as aposed to Legacy IDE (i dont know about the difference really)

I had not one problem installing. No crashes (other than cause of ram) and i get about 180-190 Xbench score w/Hard drive, and like 230 w/o

Well i did have one problem.. ethernet. I will try setting DHCP to static in my router to see if that works.

I got it working now. Only problem is my video card doesnt show up. It is a Nvidia Quadro FX3000 something series. I got it from work for free so its all I have to play with. I tried a couple auto installers and none of them worked, max res is stuck at 1024x768 and system profiler just says nvidia but not the full model of the card :) I got audio working with the info in the tutorial and the enet worked with no tweaks at all. Can anyone recommend a decent card under 100bux that would work with this board that takes minimal setup to get it running. Or perhaps someone knows how to get my nvidia quadro fx card to work? TIA :P

Seems enabling native IDE worked, perfectly stable on my P35-DS3L since my last post.

3.6GHz Q6600

4GB DDR2-1066

Radeon HD 3870

iAtkos 1.0ir2 - EFI, all vanilla except netkas smbios

I <3 OSX86

Ended up getting Vista Home Basic for my DX10 games on my 2nd HD, so I'm all set.

@skippy, idk what to tell you. Look around on this site, newegg, and this site some more for compatible cheap cards.

@rudefyet, what are ur xbench scores? your lucky you got the q6600 to 3.6ghz.. My q6600 doesnt have the g0 steppings cause its slightly older version.. which means it uses alot more watts and runs alot hotter.. i maxed at 3.0.. 3.2 at the most.

My Xbench averages at about 175-180 With hardrive (175 cpu points) and about 230 without the hardrive.

BTW, i finally fixed the issue with my lan. I no longer have to unplug and replug upon every startup. I took anibalin's advice and went into my routers settings and assigned a static DHCP (atleast thats what i think he meant by 'fixed ip') And now it works everyboot, even after restarting from windows.

@macgirl: If you decide to go dual core, get E8400. It was the same price as E6750 at my local microcenter.

Thanks deeno but prices here (Mexico are very different and thre are no E8400 yet :D

@rudefyet, what are ur xbench scores? your lucky you got the q6600 to 3.6ghz.. My q6600 doesnt have the g0 steppings cause its slightly older version.. which means it uses alot more watts and runs alot hotter.. i maxed at 3.0.. 3.2 at the most.

My Xbench averages at about 175-180 With hardrive (175 cpu points) and about 230 without the hardrive.

BTW, i finally fixed the issue with my lan. I no longer have to unplug and replug upon every startup. I took anibalin's advice and went into my routers settings and assigned a static DHCP (atleast thats what i think he meant by 'fixed ip') And now it works everyboot, even after restarting from windows.

Not sure about xbench, but I ran Geekbench on it a few days ago

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/34162

mtotho, my complete hardware specifications are as follows:

CPU || Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (450MHz x 8, Prime95 Stable)

HSF || Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme with Scythe S-Flex

M-B || Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Revision 2.0 with BIOS F8A

RAM || Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500 2 x 1GB (1080MHz, 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2V, MemTest86 Stable)

VGA || ATi Radeon X1900 CrossFire Edition (Using NATIT from iATKOS install DVD)

HDD || Western Digital 150GB Raptor (AHCI enabled in BIOS)

DVD || Samsung SH-S182M 18x DVD+/-RW Drive (Native IDE mode selected in BIOS)

NET || ASUS WL-138G V2 802.11g PCI Card

PSU || Antec EarthWatts EA 380

OSX || iATKOS 1.0i R2 (Vanilla Kernel, EFI, MBR Bootloader, "Remove Thermal Kexts" option selected)

OS || Microsoft Windows Vista x64 Business

IN || Logitech Wave Keyboard and Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0

In addition to the power-related settings I've enabled in BIOS (posted earlier), I have EIST (and all related SpeedStep features) Disabled, SmartFan Disabled, Max CPUID Value Disabled, Virtualization Disabled, CPU TM Function Enabled, Execute Disable Bit Enabled.

Anything else, please let me know

Peace

@skippy, idk about that card. Just cause it has 512mb of vram doesnt mean its good. If your looking for a cheap card (sub $100) you will have more luck with a 8600gt or 7600gt

8600gt $74 dollars after $20 MIR : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130085

or the OC'd version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814127286

7600gt $64 dollars after $20 MIR : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130062

It maybe a little harder to get the 7600gt working though.

@email, I will get back to you after i check out my settings and test my sleeping, restarting, and shutdown abilities.

Edit: Ok Email Here is the deal with my setup. All my Bios settings are default... other than all the cpu thermal settings are shut off, delay by 4 seconds is on, and native IDE mode is one.

I ran the restart about 5 times, i ran Sleep twice, and i ran shutdown about 5 times. Every time my restart worked fine. Only once however did i have a succesful Shutdown.. otherwise it just leaves the power to my motherboard and hardrives on.. but it fully exits out of leopard (which is fine for me). Sleep basically does the same as my shutdown...

So all i really need is restart... im only shutting down one time a day usually but i restart plenty of times to go into windows or whatever.. Atleast my shutdowns exits leopard so any unsaved stuff can save or whatever. These are my results. If this is not the same for you then it is probably cause we have different bios.. kexts.. maybe even revision. Like i said i havent checked my revision or bios version.. when i get around to it i will. I have all the default kexts and fixes that came from KAlyways, i did not add anything else.

From the description you gave me, im not sure exactly what you did.. but this is what your suppose to do. You make sure the Patcher is not running. You drag the txt file onto the icon (NOT OPENED) and it will open it up.. and hopefully work. I assume you were talking about the HDA patcher cause your post is really lacking any detail.

@rudy, your hack benches about 15-25 percent better than me in all categories.. which is expected with a 600mhz faster quad and faster ram.