INSTALL GUIDE FOR GA-P35-DS3L ( EFI_v8 + Vanilla Kernel + Reboot + Shutdown ( No SLEEP )

meww

99 posts in this topic

Great Guide!

I also have the same motherboard and I was posting questions about the two non-working sata ports with ICH9 from different forums post (Not knowing this is the best place to be, lol). I really hope some guru/pro would find time to make the other SATA ports to work when AHCI is enabled. I have 3 SATA devices and I really need this to work.

With regards to what is better, AHCI enabled or not .. I went to my friends house (who has the same DS3L mobo rev 2) and we did tried some stuff. We noticed that when AHCI is enabled, it boots faster. like 5-7 seconds faster both in Vista and Leopard. We did some benchies (I did not take note of the scores) and we noticed that the results of AHCI enabled and IDE are almost identical (AHCI is always higher, but not much). Another thing I noticed is "FEELS" faster ... probably its just my head.. but It actually feels it... really .. lol. I can't really say what is faster or better but they way I look at it, AHCI faster for me.

Since I haven't started building my rig yet (I'm still waiting for my HD 2600XT 256mb ddr3), I really wish there would be a fix for the SATA ports in AHCI mode.

Just like everybody, I'm here waiting and hoping that the fix would come out soon!

For the OP, thanks for this guide, it rocks!

Yea keplenk. I have 4 Sata devices, ahci off is my only option. Leopard definatelly does boot up much faster (but not fast enough to make up for that long AHCI loading time at boot) I havent really noticed any speed differences at all in the OS X.. I do however suspect AHCI is a little smoother.. but really not that noticeable... I do however like the way it makes the drives look. If it was possible for me to have AHCI enabled and see my other drives at the same time, i would probably enable it just cause whether or not i can tell a difference, the fact is it is better for sata drives in both windows and leopard. There are a few active threads going now trying to solve this problem.. and i suspect the fix isnt too far.

Yea keplenk. I have 4 Sata devices, ahci off is my only option. Leopard definatelly does boot up much faster (but not fast enough to make up for that long AHCI loading time at boot) I havent really noticed any speed differences at all in the OS X.. I do however suspect AHCI is a little smoother.. but really not that noticeable... I do however like the way it makes the drives look. If it was possible for me to have AHCI enabled and see my other drives at the same time, i would probably enable it just cause whether or not i can tell a difference, the fact is it is better for sata drives in both windows and leopard. There are a few active threads going now trying to solve this problem.. and i suspect the fix isnt too far.

Yep, its actually true. THe AHCI detection/loading time at boot is pretty darn long .. lol .. it offsets the 5-7 sec increased speed boost when booting leopard/vista. It would be perfect if the AHCI detection is not that long .. is there a way to probably force it to go faster after post?

Yeah, I'm actually posting/replying to almost all of those active threads regarding the ICH9 hoping for faster fix (I hope it won't be considered as annoyance by devs).

Still hoping and waiting here ... ;)

EDIT: Another important reason (that I can think of) why I'm pushing for the AHCI fix .. is that Leopard was specifically designed (native) to work in AHCI environment. I'm not a 100% sure about this though. Even though it wouldn't make any significant difference between IDE and AHCI in terms of speed, I would still like to run my osx86 in AHCI just to make it more real-like mac. :P

Dont get me wrong, as long as the start is i would definately like AHCI. I dont think my dads iMAc(last year model) has AHCI enabled.. maybe it does.. but i dont think it really makes a difference with currect hardrive technology.

BTW, i added the compatibility of this motherboard to HCL for 10.5.1.

Also, for your guys information, i was able to do the software update without any problems... although idk about the big 10.5.2 update, what do you guys think about it?

I plan to just install leopard on another partition and install all the drivers, get it working.. etc. and update on that and see if it works before i do it on my main install.

This is the case for all ICH9 Motherboard. All Sata ports work when AHCI is Disabled (and maybe only with SATA mode Set to NATIVE). I have all for sata ports (withotu AHCI) and in my opinion AHCI is not needed on this motherboard for LEO to run smooth.

Thanks 4 reply, mmm OC no, I'm just asking coz I saw this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83130

I have my e2140 (MO) running stably at 2.8 GHz at stock voltages (RAM is actually undervolted to 1.8 instead of 2). Unfortunately, without using Gigabyte's auto voltage setting (which appears to really crank up the volts), I can't go higher. I was running 3.04 GHz, but overheating appears to be an issue, or the RAM. I have a Tuniq tower, Arctic Silver, and six 120 mm fans, but I've tried bumping voltages manually and can't find true stability (Orthos) above 2.8 GHz. I think the problem may be the concave surface of the e2140's cover, or maybe my Seasonic 380 watt power supply is overtaxed.

• 2 weeks later...

yikes, I installed the NVinstaller v.32 for my 8800gts 512, and when I rebooted, my resolution was correct and drivers were working... then when I applied the patches for audio as described in this post, I am back at 1024x768 (i should be at 1600x1050)

I've tried re-installing the .32 NVinstaller, but no luck... still stuck at this res... although audio is working ;)

I have a GA-P965-S3 (rev3.3) and everything worked out of the box. Only change I needed to do was make SATA port AHCI mode (instead of IDE). Thing is when I dual boot into Windows it blue screens and I have to change it back in the BIOS to IDE in order to boot to Windows. I'm using Darwin bootloader to boot between the two.

I've tried to boot Windows in safe mode with this setting but it still blue screens during bootup. Anyway to get Windows to work with this setting?

EDIT: Just saw this posting and will give it a shot when I get home (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83689&st=100&p=605158entry605158)

Would anyone have any advice for getting an ATI branded X1600 card to work with Kalaway 10.5.1? I have tried natitauto but that didn't work well...it only gave me vga (using an dvi > vga adapter). I would also like to get my widescreen resolution to work 1680x1050.

Any help would be very appreciated. :rolleyes:

I was able to get it working with AHCI mode. THere is a microsoft article that says you need to enable their ahci driver as well. Once I did this I was able to log into Windows but couldn't seem to find the right drivers. So stupid me I downloaded the inf package from Gigabyte, rebooted and now Windows stalls at the progress bar during boot up. It will move a little, pause, move a little, pause and will continue doing so. There is no HD during this move/pausing. Set the SATA port back to IDE and windows boots up fine. So back to square one. :)

Powaking, and everyone. This is a dead thread. Go to the one in my signature alternatively. Much better guide. And unlike Meww, i am an active member whom is constantly adding support.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm new to the whole osx86 scene but managed to get the Kalaway 10.5.1 release up an running with virtually no problems on a system very similar to the OP's system. During installation I opted against installing the vanilla kernal. What's the advantage of going with the vanilla kernal? Will it let me use osx's native updater for system updates?

GA-P35-DS3L

Q6600 @ Stock

G.Skill 2x2gb

MSI OC 8800GTX @ 610/2000

• 3 weeks later...

For all who have OSX with Ahci running perfectly but Vista ends up with bluescreen at bootup:

There are some trick to integrate ahci drivers to vista (and i read something about xp too) after it was installed. You have to edit a reg entry or apply the Windows preinstall driver from Gigabyte with windows rapair which you can find at their homepage. Bootup with WinDVD is required to do this. Just search google for the detailed info. If you cannot find it i will start the search again.

Now AHCI works perfectly for me in WinVista and OSX86 :-)

@ mtotho

Funny, the same Antec Tower, nearly the same mobo, same processor (mine is perfectly stable at 3,33ghz) and nearly the same GPU like mine ;-)

@ sneezymarble

I installed with Kalyway 10.5.1 (10.5.2 disk made only problems) and updated with kalyway 10.5.2 package. Then i was able to apply all official updates from Apple Update with no problems. Even vanilla kernel works 9.2.2 but sleep does not work yet.

EDIT:

Ok its not stable! Torrent causes Kernel panic :-(

Edit:

Reduced loaded RAM size to 3,4gig. Now it works again :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used Leo4all version 2 to install leopard on this motherboard -

Everything works except - sleep.

I have nvidia 8400GS card with 512 VRAM.

any tips - on how you guys managed to get sleep working ....

• 2 months later...

My sleep works after 10.5.3 updated. I got sleep every time but shutdown is 50/50.

Kalyway 10.5.1 + Vanilla Kernel

Kalyway 10.5.2 ComboUpdate and Graphic Patch

Kalyway 10.5.3 ComboUpdate with Kalyway Kernel PKG

10.5.4 from Apple's software update.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I would like to thank you for your help. Step 2 for the audio works for my GA-P35-S3L with cpu Duo 8400. I used kalyway 10.5.2 and included software Kext Helper B7 (search spotlight). I just dragged into box ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext and installed and rebooted. Thank you again!

sound works!