MS Licenses Source Code

Swad

20 posts in this topic

http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds/ap/20.../ap2475344.html

"Microsoft Corp. said Wednesday it will license its Windows source code to comply with a European Union antitrust ruling."

Very interesting indeed! I think this is a great thing - perhaps we can now get decent NTFS support along with the host of other things we've been waiting for!

"Microsoft Corp. said Wednesday it will license its Windows source code to comply with a European Union antitrust ruling."

Very interesting indeed! I think this is a great thing - perhaps we can now get decent NTFS support along with the host of other things we've been waiting for!

Holy {censored}.

this is huge!

No, instead, MS is simply going to allow a larger range of people to see the Windows source. They're not releasing it.

Sure M$ won't release it to anyone that does not pay but as you know there is always a priate in every company :hysterical:

This sounds good - almost too good. I predict that we'll NOT see M$ source floating around the torrent sites any time soon... For M$ to do this runs so against the grain of their culture - of course if they had to do it or lose the EU market :hysterical:

Well, they way it reads, they're going to license the whole thing, just like they have in the past, and I'm sure it'll cost a ton.

But I have no doubt that it will leak sooner rather than later.

there is an OS that is out based on old windows source. its called reactOS. i believe it is a copy of the source or something. i tried it out it uses all windows drivers and apps. but no networking yet...well the liveCD.... still some things to get in there to make it completely usable(atleast 4 me). check it out if ya'll want its heres a link - http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/index.html

It's sad to hear they've hit the juggernaut of corporate america protecting code for OS's that are no longer made, the greed never ceases. Do they really think ReactOS is a threat, OMG it might take a few bucks out of Billy's pocket. It won't make much of a dent seeing M$ made 3.7 billion in NET PROFIT in the last quarter.

I tried ReactOS when it first hit the net and seen it had potential. Unfortunately for daily use it still had a long way to go. I hope it succeeds in continuing to grow and get over this setback. We need to have a OS that can run M$ programs that is open source for are protection and freedom.

It's sad to hear they've hit the juggernaut of corporate america protecting code for OS's that are no longer made, the greed never ceases. Do they really think ReactOS is a threat, OMG it might take a few bucks out of Billy's pocket. It won't make much of a dent seeing M$ made 3.7 billion in NET PROFIT in the last quarter.

I tried ReactOS when it first hit the net and seen it had potential. Unfortunately for daily use it still had a long way to go. I hope it succeeds in continuing to grow and get over this setback. We need to have a OS that can run M$ programs that is open source for are protection and freedom.

Greed?!? Microsoft is being greedy over a product THEY created?

How can this be?

In my opinion, the EU is being picky, and is doing this simply because they can.

I dont understand how they work.

It is not their business what a corporation does with a product when the product is a bunch of 0s and 1s. It's crazy. Bundling media player with windows will cause a monopoly? Let it do so!

Apple bundles so much software with OS X, yet is never criticized about it. Why? Because they aren't big enough to have a monopoly over the industry. And if they did? Then good for them.

Monopoly or not, are we to believe that Joe Programmer can make his media player known to the public and make a lot of money off of it if he doesn't own his own company and sets out to complete his goal? Of course not! Who is protected by not bundling media player with windows? No one! Little developers would never stand a chance anyways, and no matter what microsoft is accused of, it's too late to do anything about it. Media player already comes with xp, and that hasn't stopped the vast majority of ipod users from switching to itunes! Then again, that's to be expected because of a virtual monopoly in a related industry! So if you think it's an equal playing field where anything can happen, you're mistaken. only other monopolees can make a difference, and stopping everyone means stopping everything in all industries.

I think it's just nuts. When you're talking to the largest corporation on earth (or almost), it makes no difference if you force them to release source code, or to not bundle something with their OS. They will come up with other ways to get you to buy their product, and other ways of keeping the source protected from piracy. So why bother? Because in the meantime, the EU can reap them of millions of dollars.

And when your big-corporation does something morally wrong, it's bad.

But when a government attacks that corporation for money, it's even worse.

The european union is a bunch of radical left wing liberals who intrude on everyones rights. They pay 60% in taxes. Bunch of Morons, if I owned microsoft, I would tell them to go scratch, go F**k off. See what they would do. Microsoft makes a good product. IMO, apple is the monopolizer, MS lets you use any hardware you want, and includes the basic. Apple forces use of their hardware, and provides you with an overload of software, not allowing for much competition.

Update:

http://www.betanews.com/article/EU_No_Fee_...Code/1138727487

European Commission antitrust head Neelie Kroes told EU lawmakers on Tuesday that Microsoft cannot charge a licensing fee for the Windows source code it has promised to share, unless it can prove such code is "innovative." Microsoft made the offer last week in order to comply with a 2004 court ruling.

The EU fined Microsoft 497 million euros in March 2004, and attached stipulations for compliance. One demand was a version of Windows without the company's media player software, which it released last year, and the other was to open the source code of Windows Server networking protocols to third party developers.

While Microsoft initially balked at the demand, the company later rolled out a licensing program, but the Commission said the move did not go far enough. In response, Microsoft announced a broad program last week to provide the entire source code to Windows Server.

Microsoft was previously given until February 15 to comply with the demand.