P5K-SE - Retail Leopard Instalation

Jimmy Mallmann

1,037 posts in this topic

Yes, hard drive icons fixed (thanks!). The VoodooHDA does not seem to have a fix for GarageBand for me. I get this error: Selected Driver not found. (-10202)

On the Magic Mouse, it seems that others are having a similar problem with real Macs, too:

http://macs.about.com/b/2009/11/01/magic-m...ng-for-some.htm

One comment suggested removing a USBOverdrive kext, but I don't have it.

Delete the /Extra folder, then install the P5k_Family.pkg again, and the Chameleon again

Delete the /Extra folder again...

What mobo is that?

for my PC, the problem is, I can;t shut it down or restart it. it just keeps spinning and spinning.

The boot loader failed too. Still have to boot from the bootcd

Delete the /Extra folder, then install the P5k_Family.pkg again, and the Chameleon again

Delete the /Extra folder again...

What mobo is that?

P5K-SE

hmm, can;t boot into SL anymore, even when I use the Rebel, I'll try to reinstall it

I just realized that the Wireless Mouse Update that I installed was from my Leopard installation. I downloaded the WMU for SL and it installed fine and now I have my Magic Mouse back. As of now, the only big issue is that I cannot use GarageBand (a problem that also was with Leopard).

Thanks again for your help Jimmy.

Hello Jimmy, thanks for the instructions.

I booted with Psystar Rebel EFI, then changed the disks (I chose it to boot in verbose (-v)) and this is what I got:

http://imagebin.ca/view/7KM725le.html

I tried 5 times. Three times I got what I show on the image above and two times (using the same disk) I got something like EBIOS error.

Once again, on this computer I have Leopard 10.5.8 working perfectly.

Any hints/advices?

No thanks, that is intended to be e-mail only, firefox and safari are good to read them. Then, when done, the tutorial will be in a post, like this one.

Whoa. That's messy to read. Out of personal choice, I'm going to open MS Word 2010 Beta on my PC, retype that with pizazz..

Do you want me to re upload it so other people with Office 07 can read it with ease?

Hi, remember to connect the first HD (snow leopard) to the first S-Ata port and the First DVD to the Second S-Ata port.

Hello Jimmy, thanks for the instructions.

I booted with Psystar Rebel EFI, then changed the disks (I chose it to boot in verbose (-v)) and this is what I got:

http://imagebin.ca/view/7KM725le.html

I tried 5 times. Three times I got what I show on the image above and two times (using the same disk) I got something like EBIOS error.

Once again, on this computer I have Leopard 10.5.8 working perfectly.

Any hints/advices?

Hey Jimmy, Are you home yet? ;)

I still need help with my sound issue. Here is the original posting:

"I've tried all kind of options to get my sound to work smoothly but it continues to fail.

VoodooHDA sometimes loads at startup, and sometime don't. I have deleted and installed many times (even the Thireus versions)

I have reinstalled the HDAenabaler kext (deleted the voodoo bfore) and vice-versa.

I spend hours trying to get my sound working sometimes until I finally give up.

I edit video I NEED sound.

Any suggestions?"

Sorry, I've been traveling for 2 weeks, didn't get home yet.

Hi, remember to connect the first HD (snow leopard) to the first S-Ata port and the First DVD to the Second S-Ata port.

Damn, Jimmy. LOL

This morning I even remembered the "HDD on Sata port 1". So I changed that (because my "Mac Disk" is in port 3) but still no luck. But then, my Sata DVD is in port 4 :P

OK... another thing to be tested tonight. I'll let you know if that works.

And hey, remember to add those infos to the howto/tutorial ;)

A question in advance.. will I be able to change my "mac disk" to port 3 after the install is done? I ask that because my "original setup" is:

port 1 - Windows disk

port 2 - Linux disk

port 3 - Mac disk

port 4 - DVD disk

Thanks again

Yes, you will! :)

Well Jimmy, after following that last tip of yours (change the HDD and DVD order on sata ports)... I found out I have problems with the two Retail Disks I burned :)

So I created a partition on my HDD, restored the install image on it, booted from Rebel EFI and told it to use that partition as install disk.

OK, Snow Leopard installed as expected, complained in the end (as expected). I then booted from Rebel EFI again, told to use the disk where snow leopard was installed... everything worked as expected.

After installing the P5K-Family_10.6.2.pkg, I rebooted as told (without the Rebel EFI disk on drive)... then I can't boot to my Snow Leopard. I get the dreaded:

Stil waiting for root device

I had to boot using the RebelEFI. Then I installed the combo update (to 10.6.2), etc, etc (just as I was instructed). Then I let the system reboot... and now I can't get it to boot. I have even been trying to boot with RebelEFI or Empire EFI, then I choose to load from the partition where OSX was installed, all the time I get "Still waiting for root device".

And yes, the SATA HDD is still in the first SATA port

Any hints?

Well, Jimmy, you are the man :(

I deleted the /Extra folder (in fact I just moved it to another place, just in case :P) and reinstalled the P5K_Family stuff, didn't solve. So I downloaded the PIIXATA kext and now I can boot into my Snow Leopard 10.6.2 without a problem ;)

Really thanks.

The only thing I noticed is that my sound has low volume (yes, I have already "maxed" the slide), but it works.

I am running Snow Leopard at 1680x1050 with my NVidia 9600GT and my LG L203WT (20.1")

Now... let's install the apps ;)

Thanks Jimmy,

I download and ran the kext using the the little appli kext helper and system crashed several times. Then reboot and it crash again when logging in.

So I had to reboot on safe mode, delete the voodoo kext and restart (it worked)

This never happended before with other Voodoo kext.

Still no sound! What do u suggest I do next?

Thanks

:)

Leo for Leopard

Snow for Snow Leopard

Hmmmmm I tried installing Photoshop CS4 today and it didn't work. When I had Leopard installed on this computer, it installed like a charm. On Snow Leopard it hangs at about 90% of the "Checking system profile".

Another problem I am having is that I tried using Movie Gate (trial version) and iMedia Converter to convert some videos I have from AVI to DVD-Video. Both converted, but the video (image) is buggy. If I play the original videos with MPlayer, the image is OK.

prasys told me, on #osx86, that I should boot into 32bit kernel (and also do some other magics). But it looks like I can't boot into 32bit kernel.

I tried "-v arch=i386" (which would give me "Still waiting for root device"). Then I tried "-v -32" which booted, but I am still on 64bit kernel

Jimmy (or anyone else) how can I boot into 32bit kernel?

prasys also said I could try "cross flashing" my BIOS to "the other model", since P5K-SE BIOS doesn't have AHCI support/options.

Any hints?