P5K-SE - Retail Leopard Instalation

Jimmy Mallmann

1,037 posts in this topic

Hi, this is a VooDoo PS2 issue, try getting a newer version of the kext, it is meant only for installation, an Usb keyboard is recommended thought!

Jimmy, or anyone who can help, I am having three problems:

1- my PS/2 Keyboard (Brazilian ABNT-2 layout) works, but not as it should. The "windows" key doesn't work like the "apple" key; some keys like "/" are misplaced. I am using the VoodooPS2 kext which came with your package (or at least the one from your howto);

2- my mouse (usb) moves on its own. If, example, I move the mouse just a little to the right and release it, the pointer keeps moving till it reaches the right border of the screen. The same goes to any direction. The pointer only stops if I click or use the wheel;

3- the mouse wheel doest work smoothly. Let's say I am working on a 5 pages document. If i am at the top of the document and use the wheel to scroll down (like I would like to scroll just a few lines down) the screen keeps scrolling until it reaches the bottom of the document. The contrary (from bottom to top) is also true. It only stops scrolling if I move the mouse or click with any mosue button.

Any tips on how to fix these problems?

Other than that, everything is working just fine. VGA, Sound and Network are just perfect.

Thanks guys!

Hi, as you presumed it seams to be a hardware issue, due to an energy loss? try flashing your bios again, with the latest bios brom asus, even if you already have it installed. It happened to me once, long time ago...

post the results, good luck!

Something bad has happened for me. I've been on 10.5.6 for months with my p5k-e WiFi/AP q6600 using Jimmy's method and I just ran the 10.5.8 Combo Updater and then installed the "P5K-Family_10.5.8.pkg" as described in his first post. When hit the Restart button the computer shut down, then there was only one beep and that's it. Nothing. Not even the Asus mobo screen comes up. I have turned the computer off, unplugged it, disconnected the hard drives, removed a Firewire PCIe card and still a single beep with no splash screen. Any idea what I might have done wrong?

EDIT: It looks like it was my HP LP2475w display's USB hub. I disconnected it and the computer booted (albeit seemingly slow. Has anyone else experienced such a problem with a USB hub and 10.5.8?

EDIT2: I just did a Repair Disk Permissions and the IOUSBFamily and MassStorage kexts all needed repaired. But surely this doesn't explain why the computer wouldn't even present the Asus splash screen, would it?

Hi this is also for everyone that follows or have used this topic!

Hi, thanks, I'd like to, but as some people know, I do not own a P5KFamily mobo anymore, I switched to an Asus Rampage Formula, and then, after that, switched to the new Mac Book Pro, abandoning desktops as I am travelling a lot now, so, guess my hackintosh skills will only in my memory.

I will continue to feed this post as long I can remember my experience in the P5Kxxx project, since it made me learn a lot .

As some friends this was a natural way to being a proud Mac Owner and I am thankful to that and to everyone who supported me (not monetarely, sadly :whistle: )!

So, no support for Snow Leopard, only if I had this king of mobo, which I don't! (gifts anybody?) ;)

First of all thanks for a great guide.

Now, will it work also if I use Snow Leopard 10.6 ?

Cheers,

Hi, this is a VooDoo PS2 issue, try getting a newer version of the kext, it is meant only for installation, an Usb keyboard is recommended thought!

OK, I will try that and see what happens. I know USB keyboards should be prefered, but the least I spend with my hackintosh, the marrier my wife will get *LOL*. Plus, my friend has a hackintosh with only PS/2 mouse and keyboard, so it should work for me too, right ;)

Hi, as you presumed it seams to be a hardware issue, due to an energy loss? try flashing your bios again, with the latest bios brom asus, even if you already have it installed. It happened to me once, long time ago...

post the results, good luck!

You mean, the mouse problems?

The mouse works perfectly in Linux and Windows. I will try borrowing a Dell USB mouse from work to see what happens.

Thanks for the fast reply

Well, Jimmy... it's weird but... I tested with a Dell USB mouse (borrowed from work) and those mouse problems vanished. So it's my mouse to blame (although it works perfectly in Linux and Windows) or the USB port it is connected. Since I was in a rush I didn't try using my mouse on another USB port, but I will do this later today.

I will also test the PS/2 keyboard. I have already installed the new VoodooPS2 kext. Let's see what happens

Well, looks like the problem is my mouse. I got a generic mouse from work (also USB) and it works perfectly.

About the keyboard, even after installing the new VoodooPS2Controller it is not working as it should :) I really wouldn't like to have to buy a new keyboard now :)

Anyone has any tips?

Just to refresh anyone's memory I have a PS/2 Keyboard (brazilian layout)

Hi, your keyboard would work fine with early versions of Leopard (before 10.5.6), but now, all the kexts I know do not work fine with newer versions, specially 10.5.8, therefore, the only solution is the voodoops2 controller, that unfortunately does not support ABNT2 layouts, I have tested here, trust me!...

Sorry, I guess you should ask for some usb keyboard for Christmas ;)

Well, looks like the problem is my mouse. I got a generic mouse from work (also USB) and it works perfectly.

About the keyboard, even after installing the new VoodooPS2Controller it is not working as it should :( I really wouldn't like to have to buy a new keyboard now :(

Anyone has any tips?

Just to refresh anyone's memory I have a PS/2 Keyboard (brazilian layout)

Thanks for the attention Jimmy. Yesterday I decided to avoid more headaches and wasted time. Since I have some bucks to come from a client, I went downtown and bought a new keyboard and mouse, both USB, of course.

Now everything is JUST FINE :D

I am enjoying Leopard without any problems, except having to learn how it works, where to find things, etc. But that is not a real problem, huh?! :P

Now I am thinking about cloning this install (because it is working really fine) and try to put SnowLeo on the PC. Do you think it will work? ^_^

Hi this is also for everyone that follows or have used this topic!

Hi, thanks, I'd like to, but as some people know, I do not own a P5KFamily mobo anymore, I switched to an Asus Rampage Formula, and then, after that, switched to the new Mac Book Pro, abandoning desktops as I am travelling a lot now, so, guess my hackintosh skills will only in my memory. I will continue to feed this post as long I can remember my experience in the P5Kxxx project, since it made me learn a lot . As some friends this was a natural way to being a proud Mac Owner and I am thankful to that and to everyone who supported me (not monetarely, sadly ;) )!

Jimmy - Thanks very, very much for your efforts with this board and those of us who use it. I can say I wouldn't be running mine without your thread.

HI JIMMY!

I have installed 10.5.6 before on my PK5 hackintosh with your method without a problem. Now I made a mistake after installing some software and wanted to re-install Leopard, and somehow after I boot with the 123 Iso CD and switch to the Retail Leopard DVD, it doesn´t react. I press Enter once ok, and after the second time I am just back in the infite loop...

Hmmm, could you imagine what the problem could be?

All the best,

Paul

Hum, try the steps again, cleaning the DVD, remember to hit F8.

HI JIMMY!

I have installed 10.5.6 before on my PK5 hackintosh with your method without a problem. Now I made a mistake after installing some software and wanted to re-install Leopard, and somehow after I boot with the 123 Iso CD and switch to the Retail Leopard DVD, it doesn´t react. I press Enter once ok, and after the second time I am just back in the infite loop...

Hmmm, could you imagine what the problem could be?

All the best,

Paul

HI EVERYONE, I THINK I HAVE FOUND A WAY OF INSTALLING SNOW LEOPARD, USING THE RETAIL DVD, AND SOME KEXTS THAT I FOUND TO BE STABLE, VERY....

ANYONE INTERESTED IN TESTING? :P

OH YESSS !!! DEFINETELY UP FOR TRYING THAT, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO !!!!

Paul

Hum, try the steps again, cleaning the DVD, remember to hit F8.

HI EVERYONE, I THINK I HAVE FOUND A WAY OF INSTALLING SNOW LEOPARD, USING THE RETAIL DVD, AND SOME KEXTS THAT I FOUND TO BE STABLE, VERY....

ANYONE INTERESTED IN TESTING? :thumbsdown_anim:

Hi, so as I said yesterday, there is a pretty stable way of getting a Vanilla Install of Snow Leopard.

So as I do not have a P5K mobo anymore, I borrowed one from a friend (ex girlfriend), so I hope I don't brick this mobo.

For now, I have installed all of the kexts manually, but there is no problem in packing them in a All-in-one PKG.

Send me a private MSG with your email so that I can send you the Boot123 CD, the kexts and the config files for installing...

Let's call this a private alpha release for testing and bug searching... :wacko:

EDIT: Package is ready, sending ISO, PKGs and README...

Jimmy - I would be willing to try as well. I have a 1 TB drive waiting to be used.

Hi, so as I said yesterday, there is a pretty stable way of getting a Vanilla Install of Snow Leopard.

So as I do not have a P5K mobo anymore, I borrowed one from a friend (ex girlfriend), so I hope I don't brick this mobo.

For now, I have installed all of the kexts manually, but there is no problem in packing them in a All-in-one PKG.

Send me a private MSG with your email so that I can send you the Boot123 CD, the kexts and the config files for installing...

Let's call this a private alpha release for testing and bug searching... :P

EDIT: Package is ready, sending ISO, PKGs and README...

that's awesome jimmy!!!

Can I try that too?

I use P5K-SE with dual core processor, will it work?

Send a private MSG with your email

RESULT

HARDWARE

DualCore E2160

ASUS P5K-SE

HDD 320 GB SATA SEAGATE(WARNING!!!! MUST BE ON SATA PORT 1 or 2)

HDD 160 GB SATA SEAGATE(at first port 1)

SAMSUNG IDE DVD RW

GYGABYTE 9600GT

first, using IDE DVD Drive is a no-no

you can use IDE Drive to load the boot cd but not for the OS SNOW LEOPARD Retail DVD, it will show the great symbol

so, I use Flash Drive(CORSAIR 8GB) and mount the image to the drive(use transmac). It success and the boot time is faster than using DVD

second problem, the 320GB is not detected, the problem is I put it on SATA port 4, so I change it to port 1. And it works

Now it shows the installation window.

WARNING, USB Installation seems to be useless for me, it boot and install but always hang after 15 minutes...

So using SATA drive is the best choice

and just like Jimmy said, it will shows error message at the end, don't worry bout it, just force restart. And then set up your account bla bla bla and then you will enter MAC OSX. yeah, it's very easy. Then install the package of KEXT and then restart again and install Chameleon.

I was able to install 10.6 onto my p5k-e wifi AP board and the P5K-SE Family pkg (i.e, sound works) and ran the Universal Installer for my 8600GT, but my hard drive doesn't show up on my desktop. If I open a Finder window the hard drive shows up in the DEVICES pane, but it has the orange disk icon. What's the solution to this?

I am downloading 10.6.2 updater right now.

It does not show, go to finder preferences, and set to show hard drives on desktop, it is default off :blowup:

About the orange icons, I´ll send a fix for that :(

I was able to install 10.6 onto my p5k-e wifi AP board and the P5K-SE Family pkg (i.e, sound works) and ran the Universal Installer for my 8600GT, but my hard drive doesn't show up on my desktop. If I open a Finder window the hard drive shows up in the DEVICES pane, but it has the orange disk icon. What's the solution to this?

I am downloading 10.6.2 updater right now.

It does not show, go to finder preferences, and set to show hard drives on desktop, it is default off :blowup:

Doh! Yup, that fixed it. The drive now shows up.

About the orange icons, I´ll send a fix for that :(

I appreciate it!

Also, after I run the 10.6.2 updater, should I rerun the Chameleon installer pkg? Or any of the others?

Edit 2 (14 DEC 2009):

I'm in good shape with my Magic Mouse. I just had to install the Snow Leopard Wireless Mouse Update 1 and now my Magic Mouse works great. The only thing I wish I had was GarageBand.

=============================

Edit 1 (12 DEC 2009):

OK, I reinstalled Aperture, then did a Software Update and the Pro Apps updater appeared. I installed that, then dl'd the Apertue 2.1.4 Update and now Aperture is working fine.

However, my Bluetooth isn't. My Magic mouse moves and clicks but none of its scroll functions work. I'm going to reboot to see if that fixes it. The Bluetooth menu item says there's no Bluetooth available, yet I can use my Magic Mouse. The Bluetooth System Preferences pane reports the mouse as an Apple Wireless Mouse, not a Magic Mouse.

I also cannot install the Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0 from Apple as it reports the current install is newer.

=============================

OK, Migration Assistant is done and I'm mostly as before. I am up to date on Software Update with OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard.

The Bad News

My connection to my Apple TV was broken - I have to resync the ATV to my hackintosh

Temperture Monitor reports my cpu cores as running around 9000 degrees C! :D

GarageBand still does not work (no Core Audio) - Same problem I had with 10.5.6-10.5.8

Aperture had to be reinstalled, then updated with the Pro Apps update, too

Time Machine's link to my TM volume was broken. It seems to need to be reinitialized (i.e., delete the previous TM backup)

The Good News

Everything else appears to be fine

My on-board FW400 works

My on-board eSATA works

My DYNEX DX-PCI2PF FW800/FW400 card works

My Targus ACB10US USB Bluetooth adapter works fine with my Magic Mouse

Anything you'd like me to do with the hackintosh Jimmy? And can I install my printer drivers? I have three of them.

Just testing for now, I also had problems with bluetooth, had to disconnect and connect it again, even in my mac book pro.. there was a firmware update to solve that I guess..

About sound, this new VoodooHDA, should have solved... interesting though!

Orange icons fixed with the kext I sent you?