P5K-SE - Retail Leopard Instalation

Jimmy Mallmann

1,037 posts in this topic

Hi all, i have resized the main osx partition inside OSX, then i've rebooted with win Vista and i have formatted the blank space to an NTSF partiton.

I've installed also MacDrive to let me see the OSX partition easily

Main problem now is that it won't reboot on OSX, i've tried also with CDboot 123 and on hd 81 it gives me boot errors..

i've tried reinstalling from the beginning but i cannot install on that HD without erasing the entire content, so i'm wondering if there is a way to restore the boot partition, and also why it won't boot anymore??? i have not touched EFI partition in any way.

Also when i have resized the osx partition i've tried to reboot and it has rebooted so the problem has appeared probably after that, i don't know if it's Vista's partiton utility fault or if it's because of MacDrive software...

do i have any chance to restore it?

No, no bootloaders, i use p5k bios to switch operating systems, i still see the EFI partition, main problem is that cdboot gives me an error on that drive, dunno why :/

i will try to search for a linux bootable cd and try to find that fdisk even if i do not really know anything about linux at all :D

thanks...

question: who creates the efi partition ?

i mean... what happens if i delete that?

do i will be able to boot osx using cdboot123?

and then to recreate it do i have to use UNIVERSAL OSx86 INSTALLER right ?

or deleting it will mess everything up more than now ?

and when i delete to i have to resize the osx partition to include also the first 200Mb or there's no need ? to be honest in osx i do not see the efi partition... i see it only in Vista....

/confused

Hi, I have hard trouble installing Mac OS X Leopard. I already stick at the boot. Can't boot with any image i use. Have tried 5 or 6 different ones. Nothing works. Is a S-ATA drive really necessary ?

My Setup:

Asus P5K-E Wifi

4gb DDR2 800 CL4 Ram

2x 200Gb Samsung Spinpoint HD200j

Geforce 8800GT

I get Crazy trying getting it worked since 7 hours now.

Sry for my english. Im german.

Maybe someone can help!! Thanks.

Have the same screen like this one below. Image doesn't work correctly. Here is the link for this post:http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79096&st=840#

It didn't work on my p5k-se motherboard the iso thing for p5k se I tried many times with different cds bit doesn't work cd works on the other computer but when I put cd in p5k-se it shows the thing which I attached as a picture. Anyone knows a solution, thanks for now!

Attached thumbnail(s)

Reduced 88%

1600 x 1200 (340.04K)

Hi, in this method (Retail) S-Ata is necessary, DVD I mean.

Hi, I have hard trouble installing Mac OS X Leopard. I already stick at the boot. Can't boot with any image i use. Have tried 5 or 6 different ones. Nothing works. Is a S-ATA drive really necessary ?

My Setup:

Asus P5K-E Wifi

4gb DDR2 800 CL4 Ram

2x 200Gb Samsung Spinpoint HD200j

Geforce 8800GT

I get Crazy trying getting it worked since 7 hours now.

Sry for my english. Im german.

Maybe someone can help!! Thanks.

Have the same screen like this one below. Image doesn't work correctly. Here is the link for this post:http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79096&st=840#

GUID partitions the HD using the EFI partition automatically, too small to care for in my opinion, but yes, you may try to delete it, or format with no FS, then you´ll not see it in windows, of course you should backup everything first :) For creating partitions use Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities/

CDBoot error is normaly related to unsupported CPUs or P-Ata DVD drives.

Use the one provided here, and follow the steps, you should be fine ;)

No, no bootloaders, i use p5k bios to switch operating systems, i still see the EFI partition, main problem is that cdboot gives me an error on that drive, dunno why :/

i will try to search for a linux bootable cd and try to find that fdisk even if i do not really know anything about linux at all :)

thanks...

question: who creates the efi partition ?

i mean... what happens if i delete that?

do i will be able to boot osx using cdboot123?

and then to recreate it do i have to use UNIVERSAL OSx86 INSTALLER right ?

or deleting it will mess everything up more than now ?

and when i delete to i have to resize the osx partition to include also the first 200Mb or there's no need ? to be honest in osx i do not see the efi partition... i see it only in Vista....

/confused

Hi, use the one posted in this topic, remember that P4 CPUs are not supported in Vanilla Kernel, therefore, if you intend to use one, try a BootCD with another kernel, using the rd(0,1)/mach_kernel (or whatever the kernel name is) to have it loaded<br><br>If not the case, just boot with the BootCD provided in this topic, and follow the tutorial<br><br><br><br>

<br>HELLO ??? I NEED HELP.<br>Got an SATA drive now. But it dont work.<br><br>Cant boot the DVD. What could it be ? <br>Have tried several boot cds but none of it works.<br><br>thanks.<br>
<br><br><br>

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again.

While I gave up (at least for now) on the snow leopard front, I got a new thing coming up on the 10.5.8. And I think it has to do with the voodooHDA. In few words now I hear a background noise on the headphones, it is so that even if i move the mouse over the doc I hear a weird background noise. I have also a set of usb headphones and it does not happen there; but it does with 3 different normal-jack ones and no matter where I plug them (rear -front) So I guess it has to do with the voodooHDA and I when to check the prefpane ont the system preferences and it returns an error saying can't map memory. If I go on pressing ok it ends up crashing the system preference application.

Now i downloaded the recent version that should be 0.2.2 and it comes on a tar with some kext in it where I have to put those files? and how?... I know it seem a stupid question but I still have to figure out this kext business mainly thanks to you guys who have been providing me with installers :)

Btw It was working perfectly before and the only update was the last itunes I think, maybe it broke something I was not aware of.

Hi, snow is fancy, but I still use 10.5.8

Use UInstaller.app or KextHellper in order to install any kext, remember, remove any Audio Related Enabler Befor You Install VooDooHDA.kext

Try the one from Thireus (I guess it is spelled like this) with prefpane.

Hello again.

While I gave up (at least for now) on the snow leopard front, I got a new thing coming up on the 10.5.8. And I think it has to do with the voodooHDA. In few words now I hear a background noise on the headphones, it is so that even if i move the mouse over the doc I hear a weird background noise. I have also a set of usb headphones and it does not happen there; but it does with 3 different normal-jack ones and no matter where I plug them (rear -front) So I guess it has to do with the voodooHDA and I when to check the prefpane ont the system preferences and it returns an error saying can't map memory. If I go on pressing ok it ends up crashing the system preference application.

Now i downloaded the recent version that should be 0.2.2 and it comes on a tar with some kext in it where I have to put those files? and how?... I know it seem a stupid question but I still have to figure out this kext business mainly thanks to you guys who have been providing me with installers ;)

Btw It was working perfectly before and the only update was the last itunes I think, maybe it broke something I was not aware of.

Dear Jimmy,

I've tried all kind of options to get my sound to work smoothly but it continues to fail.

VoodooHDA sometimes loads at startup, and sometime don't. I have deleted and installed many times (even the Thireus versions)

I have reinstalled the HDAenabaler kext (deleted the voodoo bfore) and vice-versa.

I spend hours trying to get my sound working sometimes until I finally give up.

I edit video I NEED sound.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi, snow is fancy, but I still use 10.5.8

Use UInstaller.app or KextHellper in order to install any kext, remember, remove any Audio Related Enabler Befor You Install VooDooHDA.kext

Try the one from Thireus (I guess it is spelled like this) with prefpane.

I'll send you the files I have latter, not at home now.

Dear Jimmy,

I've tried all kind of options to get my sound to work smoothly but it continues to fail.

VoodooHDA sometimes loads at startup, and sometime don't. I have deleted and installed many times (even the Thireus versions)

I have reinstalled the HDAenabaler kext (deleted the voodoo bfore) and vice-versa.

I spend hours trying to get my sound working sometimes until I finally give up.

I edit video I NEED sound.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

So, everything run 99% fine here on P5KC (double video cards thanks to some tricks too!).

Unfortunately OSX doesn't react to my power button at all and doesn't wake up from sleep, but it's not a so big problem as far as I can use the power button on the keyboard instead! ;-)

Osx says that I got DDR2 instead of DDR3, but I don't think it's a problem.

I didn't test firewire yet, I will do it soon.

Sys config:

P5KC

Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz

BIOS American Megatrends Inc. 1203 06/25/2008

4GB DIMM DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 512MB DDR

MAXTOR STM3500320AS 500.1GB (SATA300, 7200rpm, NCQ)

Maxtor 6Y080M0 (82GB, SATA, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache)

OEM LG DVD-writer Sata

Printer Samsung CLP-310 Series USB (official drivers)

CanoScan LIDE 20 (working with VueScan)

Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller (Ethernet, 100Mbps)

Trust Bluetooth 2.1 adapter

Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter WMP300Nv2

EzCAP116 USB Video Grabber With Audio (works with VideoGlide app standard drivers)

Generic Windows Media IR remote with IR usb receiver (great OFB, every funciton: volume+/- , mouse control, pause/play etc.. with quicktime, VLC and so!!!)

Trust Wireless Deskset (item 15181)

Wacom Bamboo (official drivers)

Trust Widescreen HD Webcam (item 16530)

Display:

Samsung SyncMaster T190

Acer X193W

Acer v193W (need SwitchResX)

Hi, try chameleon 2.0, that should fix shutdown problems!

So, everything run 99% fine here on P5KC (double video cards thanks to some tricks too!).

Unfortunately OSX doesn't react to my power button at all and doesn't wake up from sleep, but it's not a so big problem as far as I can use the power button on the keyboard instead! ;-)

Osx says that I got DDR2 instead of DDR3, but I don't think it's a problem.

I didn't test firewire yet, I will do it soon.

Sys config:

P5KC

Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz

BIOS American Megatrends Inc. 1203 06/25/2008

4GB DIMM DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 512MB DDR

Maxtor 6Y080M0 (82GB, SATA, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache)

OEM LG DVD-writer Sata

Printer Samsung CLP-310 Series USB (official drivers)

CanoScan LIDE 20 (working with VueScan)

Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller (Ethernet, 100Mbps)

Trust Bluetooth 2.1 adapter

Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter WMP300Nv2

EzCAP116 USB Video Grabber With Audio (works with VideoGlide app standard drivers)

Generic Windows Media IR remote with IR usb receiver (great OFB, every funciton: volume+/- , mouse control, pause/play etc.. with quicktime, VLC and so!!!)

Trust Wireless Deskset (item 15181)

Wacom Bamboo (official drivers)

Trust Widescreen HD Webcam (item 16530)

Display:

Samsung SyncMaster T190

Acer X193W

Acer v193W (need SwitchResX)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there.

I have the following hardware:

ASUS P5K-SE

Intel Quadcore Q6600

8GB of RAM (DDR-2 800MHz)

NVidia 9600GT

HDD 40GB Sata-1 (Samsung)

DVD and DVD-RW drives from LG (IDE)

PS/2 Keyboard

USB Mouse

I tried installing with iAtkos v7, iPC, iDeneb 1.6 and then the Retail Leopard.

I know I should have taken notes of the steps I did. Since I was so frustrated AND tired I just didn't.

With iAtkos I could boot for install, but most of the time I would get a "nice" kernel panic while installing. Only once I got it to install, but then when I went for the first boot..KERNEL PANIC.

With iPC I can't even boot (I get the nice "Still waiting for root device").

With iDeneb I can boot, but got kernel panic on all my tries to install.

So I found this tutorial. Looked like it would work like a charm. I downloaded everything and went for the first try. OK, since I have IDE DVD drives I knew I was being brave. And as Jimmy said, his boot-132 (P5KFamily) didn't work. Then I read, on page 5 I think, about another "hack". So I downloaded the generic/original boot-132, opened the ISO and replaced its initrd.img with the one from Jimmy's P5KFamily.iso. OK, now I could boot, swap the CD for the DVD (Leopard retail), choose what to install. I allowed the DVD to be checked (no problem) and the installation goes fine till about 60% of it (I "disabled" Printer drivers, Extra Fonts (or something like that) and languages). EVERY time I tried to install I got a frozen computer at about the same point. Sometimes a bit later, some times a bit earlier.

Jimmy, or anyone else, any tips on what I could do to finish this install?

Right now I tried installing iAtkos 3 times (because it was the only one which went as far as finishing the install ONCE). I got my 3rd Kernel Panic during install. This is what shows up:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x0042DE36): "getPhysicalSegment() out of 32b range 0x1090bb000, len 0x1000, class IOGeneralMemoryDescriptor"@/VoodooKernel/xnu-1228.7.58/iokit/Kernel/IOMemoryDescriptor.cpp:1473

Debugger called: <panic>

Damn, 4 nights already of "wasted time" on this :thumbsup_anim:

I admit I thought installing OSX would give me less pain in the backyard :thumbsup_anim:

Any help is appreciated

Jimmy, thanks for the fast reply. I kindda believe you when you talk about SATA vs IDE, however, if the installation that far wouldn't that mean it is working with a IDE drive? I mean, if it wouldn't really work, it should crash on my right from the beginning, isn't it?

But... I will try and borrow a SATA drive. I am just not sure I will get one *LOL*

Oh I am doomed :)

Jimmy, thanks for the fast reply. I kindda believe you when you talk about SATA vs IDE, however, if the installation that far wouldn't that mean it is working with a IDE drive? I mean, if it wouldn't really work, it should crash on my right from the beginning, isn't it?

But... I will try and borrow a SATA drive. I am just not sure I will get one *LOL*

Oh I am doomed ;)

Try to make installation from USB stick.

I keep an old 64Mo stick with boot132 (help me to retrieve my system after some deep tweeks) and use another stick for installation (made under OSX with Disk Utility from original DVD).

So you can avoid SATA drive for the moment...

Try to make installation from USB stick.

I keep an old 64Mo stick with boot132 (help me to retrieve my system after some deep tweeks) and use another stick for installation (made under OSX with Disk Utility from original DVD).

So you can avoid SATA drive for the moment...

hmmm but for that I will need a (M|H)acintosh, which I don't have. This is going to be my first experience with OSX, IF I get it to work ;)

If I don't borrow that SATA DVD, I will have to fall back to iDeneb or iAtkos. But then I will leave EVERYTHING out (as much as possible) to try and prevent those damn kernel panics during install.

I am so damn disapointed :)

last night I tried iAtkos and iDeneb, at least twice, each of them. All I get is that damn kernel panic DURING INSTALL.

I went for minimalistic installations, that is, I just picked what, SUPPOSEDLY, was really needed, like ps/2 and chipset support, along of course with the essential stuff. All the time I got kernel panics.

Today I got another Retail Leopard and this afternoon I should get a Retail Snow Leopard. Let's see if these will help in any way. And no, I still couldn't get a SATA DVD, but since people got to install them with IDE DVD drives...

Hello there Jimmy.

Well, really congrats for the nice work (the howto).

I got a new SATA DVD drive and then I followed your rules, by the book and it really worked. Since I did the install with little time, I couldn't test all the stuff. I just booted from HDD and saw the magic happening. Then I told the PC to restart (to another Linux).

Later I should be able to test if the videocard is ok, sound and network. Really thanks

Something bad has happened for me. I've been on 10.5.6 for months with my p5k-e WiFi/AP q6600 using Jimmy's method and I just ran the 10.5.8 Combo Updater and then installed the "P5K-Family_10.5.8.pkg" as described in his first post. When hit the Restart button the computer shut down, then there was only one beep and that's it. Nothing. Not even the Asus mobo screen comes up. I have turned the computer off, unplugged it, disconnected the hard drives, removed a Firewire PCIe card and still a single beep with no splash screen. Any idea what I might have done wrong?

EDIT: It looks like it was my HP LP2475w display's USB hub. I disconnected it and the computer booted (albeit seemingly slow. Has anyone else experienced such a problem with a USB hub and 10.5.8?

EDIT2: I just did a Repair Disk Permissions and the IOUSBFamily and MassStorage kexts all needed repaired. But surely this doesn't explain why the computer wouldn't even present the Asus splash screen, would it?

Jimmy, or anyone who can help, I am having three problems:

1- my PS/2 Keyboard (Brazilian ABNT-2 layout) works, but not as it should. The "windows" key doesn't work like the "apple" key; some keys like "/" are misplaced. I am using the VoodooPS2 kext which came with your package (or at least the one from your howto);

2- my mouse (usb) moves on its own. If, example, I move the mouse just a little to the right and release it, the pointer keeps moving till it reaches the right border of the screen. The same goes to any direction. The pointer only stops if I click or use the wheel;

3- the mouse wheel doest work smoothly. Let's say I am working on a 5 pages document. If i am at the top of the document and use the wheel to scroll down (like I would like to scroll just a few lines down) the screen keeps scrolling until it reaches the bottom of the document. The contrary (from bottom to top) is also true. It only stops scrolling if I move the mouse or click with any mosue button.

Any tips on how to fix these problems?

Other than that, everything is working just fine. VGA, Sound and Network are just perfect.

Thanks guys!