P5K-SE - Retail Leopard Instalation

Jimmy Mallmann

1,037 posts in this topic

Hi, there are some files that may be found in a post here in this topic, you may use them to install snow :blink:

I am not using it though, bluetooth is now working properly yet...

I'm just curios what the current status of a Snow Leopard install is for our boards?

Are there directions for such an install such as what jimmy has in this thread?

What works and what does not? and what are the major issues with general day to day

usage.

Thanks

Chuck E.

Hello to Jmmy & all

WOW - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU!

I am a total noob at osx to PC and the jargon.

I finally got all the files downloaded

I have downloaded the Leopard 5.6 OS just to see if it will install

This setup is so slick and easy even for me ......near perfect to installation

I have even set up an older IDE 110gb WD/HD with Win XP and the F8 dual boot works great.

The only problems:

1> "mic inputs don't work", but I have sound out ......

2> 3 random occasions I get a grayed out roll down screen, "You need to restart your computer. Hold Down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button". (is that a kernel panic?)

My System:

Motherboard Asus P5K-SE L775 IntP35 –

Ram Kingston <2/2gb> 4gb DDR2 667 CL5 -

Intel CPU C2Q Q6600 2.4 8m 1066f

Rb Intel CPU C2Q Q6600 2.4 8m 10 –

Hard Drive WD <WD3200AAJS> 320gb SATA –

Video eVGA VCX N733 8400gs 256mb 459-

DVD Samsung DVDRW 22X SATA SH-S223F -

Sound realtek ALC883 –

Lan Attansic L1 Gigabit

USB Mouse & Keyboard

I am now looking to try a Snow Leopard 64 install, if I can find out how on my mobo .....

Thanks in advance for your help

Tony in Central Florida

• 1 month later...

Hey, whats up all.. just updating my "progress" in the installation of Mac OS X...

Ive created a custom EFI string in OSX86Tools (cuz i didnt find any kexts that work, and dont really know how they actually work) and now the settings of my graphic card are right! But I still cant install some games (like Call of duty modern warfare 2 - I receive the error: Video hardware acceleration is currently disabled due to safe mode operation or a driver error.

Please ensure you have a working OpenGL Hardware Renderer and try again.)

Graphics Displays:

nVidia GeForce 9500 GT:

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce 9500 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0640

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: nVidia GeForce 9500 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

Is there something I can do to install the game? What does mean hardware acceleration?

thanks

valeu raça loca

hey guys i installed Snow.L.10.6.1-10.6.2.SSE2.SSE3 hazard but after install successfull and restarting it when it gets to boot screen i get a panic and i don't know what to do...

panic(cpu0 caller 0x2a76e6)

debugger called: <panic>

backtrace (cpu). frame : return address ............

....................... a lot of codes

and at the end of it

system uptime in nanosecondes : 2119044

and it hangs...

my system is :

Main :asus p5k se

Cpu :intel E7400 core 2dou

Ram :4 gig ocz 800

Graphic :ati 4870

H.D.D : sata 500 & sata 160

Audio :Realtek High Definition

Lan :Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter

• 1 month later...

Congrats..

:D

hey guys i installed Snow.L.10.6.1-10.6.2.SSE2.SSE3 hazard but after install successfull and restarting it when it gets to boot screen i get a panic and i don't know what to do...

and at the end of it

and it hangs...

my system is :

and at the end of it

and it hangs...

my system is :

Can't really help you there since all I am able to do is follow guides anyway my system is working fine now about 2 months running almost day and night 10.6.4 is stable and except 2 things audio is working but just front one while after sleep it comes back with just the back one.

BTW: Jimmy saw you have a q9450 at 3.0 did you overclock it? mine is 2.66 I think

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, yep, it was overclocked, without any harm to the system, I was using an Asus Rampage Formula...

As I said before, I bought Macs and after that I have quit the hackintosh thing, mainly because my job got really demanding in terms of time and dedication.

Can't really help you there since all I am able to do is follow guides anyway my system is working fine now about 2 months running almost day and night 10.6.4 is stable and except 2 things audio is working but just front one while after sleep it comes back with just the back one.

BTW: Jimmy saw you have a q9450 at 3.0 did you overclock it? mine is 2.66 I think

Hi, probably you have to check the FakeSMC.kext (I guess), explore the contents and remove a plugin related to the ATI chipset). Get the updated one and remove that plugin from it's contents..

VooDooHDA may also be a suspect, update it too...

If that does not work, try a different kernel.

and at the end of it

and it hangs...

my system is :

Go to Kexts.com, and get a video enabler, that should do the trick.

:o

Hey, whats up all.. just updating my "progress" in the installation of Mac OS X...

Ive created a custom EFI string in OSX86Tools (cuz i didnt find any kexts that work, and dont really know how they actually work) and now the settings of my graphic card are right! But I still cant install some games (like Call of duty modern warfare 2 - I receive the error: Video hardware acceleration is currently disabled due to safe mode operation or a driver error.

Please ensure you have a working OpenGL Hardware Renderer and try again.)

Graphics Displays:

nVidia GeForce 9500 GT:

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce 9500 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0640

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: nVidia GeForce 9500 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

Is there something I can do to install the game? What does mean hardware acceleration?

thanks

valeu raça loca

• 1 month later...

will i be able to complete this particular "retail" installation with the image burned in a windows xp machine?

i currently don't have a SERIAL ATA (S-ATA) DVD DRIVE on my pc where i want to install the hackintosh.

i may go ahead and buy a new disk drive (no problem there), but i will need to prepare a copy of the retail leopard install disk on my pc. I already have the image file (downloaded via torrent-please no messages to remind me this is illegal etc, thank you very much)

my current OS is win xp.

thank you.

You need the S-ATA DVD device and S-ATA HD device, that is mandatory.

burn the Dual-Layer DVD at a 4x speed and pray...

will i be able to complete this particular "retail" installation with the image burned in a windows xp machine?

i currently don't have a SERIAL ATA (S-ATA) DVD DRIVE on my pc where i want to install the hackintosh.

i may go ahead and buy a new disk drive (no problem there), but i will need to prepare a copy of the retail leopard install disk on my pc. I already have the image file (downloaded via torrent-please no messages to remind me this is illegal etc, thank you very much)

my current OS is win xp.

thank you.

You need the S-ATA DVD device and S-ATA HD device, that is mandatory.

burn the Dual-Layer DVD at a 4x speed and pray...

Thank you so much for your quick and prompt answer. This is more than a two year old thread-and I wasn't sure if I was going to get any replies. I will try to follow your instructions.

I hope next time I post it will be just to thank you for a smooth installation, and I hope not to bother you with redundant questions! Skeptical about praying, but I might as well.

Thanks again.

One of the easiest installations I have ever done!

Thank you very much. Works fine.

(the only problem I had was burning the image file: waisted 6 DL-DVDs! I would recommend you do the following: Use PowerISO to convert the dmg file to iso. Then burn in ImgBurn to DVD. Simple as that. I couldn't get Nero work for me)

Many thanks.

Don't worry, you're using almost the same principles, just follow the steps from that post.

Be sure to get all the updated kexts from kexts.com (really good place to get kexts)

:wacko:

Good Luck!

Ok, sorry hard to sort out 1000+ posts....

for all those interested in Snow upgrade, here is Jimmy's post (#980) on the issue:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...096&st=980#

Jimmy, would this be where to start from? Or any other tutorials that you would recommend for p5k se?

Thank you again.

• 2 months later...

Well, I finally got Snow installed on my P5K Pro. I installed from the retail CD from my Leopard installation on to a SATA drive attached to an X-Drive USB 2.0 SATA to USB adapter. The SATA drive plugs in to the X-drive base, and

the base hooks up to the USB.

After installing I booted in to the installation using RebelEFI, and installed Jimmy's P5K-Family_10.6.2.pkg, NVEnabler 64.kext (Graphics card), IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (Orange drive fixer), then installed the Chameleon 2 RC3.pkg

I was then able to boot in to the drive, and installed all of the updates to bring me up to 10.6.5.

It has been working for 2 days, with the drive attached to the USB, with no problems (I don't use Sleep, so I do not know if that works.) but sound, internet/network and graphics (EVGA 8800GT 512) all work fine. Itunes connects to my Gen 1 Apple TV via WiFi, and to my iPad through the USB. My MagicJack USB phone works, and my USB Flash drive. It Recognizes the printer and USB drive connected to my Airport Extreme router.

I thought I had read elsewhere that there were USB issues, but I don't seem to be having them. Could someone elaborate on what the USB issues are?

Also Jimmy, I know you don't monitor here very often, as you are mostly out of the hackintosh world, but I'd like to

know what problems you had with bluetooth? I was thinking about getting a bluetooth USB Dongle, and I'd like to

know what issues to look for.

I had tried this installation a while back on an old drive, and it worked, but the drive crashed about a week later. When I emailed Jimmy about it working, He suggested I go to kexts.com and update the kexts provided in his package. I started to do that tonight, and downloaded the VooDooHDA 2.7.2 Kext, and installed it, but it did not work, No sound from any program, and a hissing sound from the audio and a strange grating noise when I moved the volume slider.

Do I need to edit something in the KEXT? Could some of you that are using this kext with Snow tell me what version

you are using?

At any rate I have unplugged the drive from the USB and plugged it in to a SATA port on my computer, and if it keeps working I will Clone it over to the boot partition on my 1tb main drive.

About the time I get this all working Lion will come out and it will be time to start all over. :o

Thanks

Chuck E.

Hello, happy new year!

Well, VooDooHDA is the best .kext for sound, be sure to have the vanilla AppleHDA and no other enablers installed,

make a

kextutil /System/Library/Extensions/TheKextYouWantToCheck.kext

and check if it is the right one for your system.

Some kexts provided are for 64bit architecture, thus won't work.

Some bluetooth dongs won't work with Snow, but it depends on the usb controllers, not sure why, p5k users seem to be fine with it.

People should be just fine using the directions I posted before, that are in theory the same used to installing 10.5.xx versions using Vanilla installs.

Hope it helps :o

Well, I finally got Snow installed on my P5K Pro. I installed from the retail CD from my Leopard installation on to a SATA drive attached to an X-Drive USB 2.0 SATA to USB adapter. The SATA drive plugs in to the X-drive base, and

the base hooks up to the USB.

After installing I booted in to the installation using RebelEFI, and installed Jimmy's P5K-Family_10.6.2.pkg, NVEnabler 64.kext (Graphics card), IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (Orange drive fixer), then installed the Chameleon 2 RC3.pkg

I was then able to boot in to the drive, and installed all of the updates to bring me up to 10.6.5.

It has been working for 2 days, with the drive attached to the USB, with no problems (I don't use Sleep, so I do not know if that works.) but sound, internet/network and graphics (EVGA 8800GT 512) all work fine. Itunes connects to my Gen 1 Apple TV via WiFi, and to my iPad through the USB. My MagicJack USB phone works, and my USB Flash drive. It Recognizes the printer and USB drive connected to my Airport Extreme router.

I thought I had read elsewhere that there were USB issues, but I don't seem to be having them. Could someone elaborate on what the USB issues are?

Also Jimmy, I know you don't monitor here very often, as you are mostly out of the hackintosh world, but I'd like to

know what problems you had with bluetooth? I was thinking about getting a bluetooth USB Dongle, and I'd like to

know what issues to look for.

I had tried this installation a while back on an old drive, and it worked, but the drive crashed about a week later. When I emailed Jimmy about it working, He suggested I go to kexts.com and update the kexts provided in his package. I started to do that tonight, and downloaded the VooDooHDA 2.7.2 Kext, and installed it, but it did not work, No sound from any program, and a hissing sound from the audio and a strange grating noise when I moved the volume slider.

Do I need to edit something in the KEXT? Could some of you that are using this kext with Snow tell me what version

you are using?

At any rate I have unplugged the drive from the USB and plugged it in to a SATA port on my computer, and if it keeps working I will Clone it over to the boot partition on my 1tb main drive.

About the time I get this all working Lion will come out and it will be time to start all over. :)

Thanks

Chuck E.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jimmy,

I'm trying to install SL on my Asus p5k SE/EPU with the rebel EFi as you wrote earlier but i can't get past the 'no smoking' sign when the retail SL is starting after i inserted it.

I've read the Rebel EFI needs AHCI but my bios doesn't support it. I read an older bios does but is this why i can't get past the 'no smoking' sign?

Txs!

Hey

well, the epu mobos are tricky!

you may crossflash your mobo, to a plain p5k-se

but, first, try that

be sure your first sata connector is on your first hd, and your second sata connector is on your first DVD

try to boot it now

if that fails, crossflash your mobo, but be sure what your are doing. Else, it should work.

Good luck.

Hi Jimmy,

I'm trying to install SL on my Asus p5k SE/EPU with the rebel EFi as you wrote earlier but i can't get past the 'no smoking' sign when the retail SL is starting after i inserted it.

I've read the Rebel EFI needs AHCI but my bios doesn't support it. I read an older bios does but is this why i can't get past the 'no smoking' sign?

Txs!

• 2 months later...
10.5.x will for sure :P

Great and thanks! I removed that harddisk just in case. Anyway i'm back at it again and did the crossflash and it worked. But i have a problem with the universal installer. I have a feeling i need a new one for 10.6. I got 1.2 but it gives me error's when i try to run it. Also it show me efi nr 9 and i think we're are efit 10 right now. We don't use boot123 but Rebel efi for 10.6 right?

Also is there a new topic for just installing the 10.6 onto the p5k-se? I get a little bit confused like this.

Thanks!

Hello, no, no new post for it.

the Snow Leopard Version is here...

10.6.X

Great and thanks! I removed that harddisk just in case. Anyway i'm back at it again and did the crossflash and it worked. But i have a problem with the universal installer. I have a feeling i need a new one for 10.6. I got 1.2 but it gives me error's when i try to run it. Also it show me efi nr 9 and i think we're are efit 10 right now. We don't use boot123 but Rebel efi for 10.6 right?

Also is there a new topic for just installing the 10.6 onto the p5k-se? I get a little bit confused like this.

Thanks!

Txs i tried only that 10.6.2 package and the Chameleon 2.0 RC 4.0 and it didn't work. But i also tried the exact parameters of the Uinstaller like in the first post of this topic and that did work. I even got it updated untill 10.6.7 but still don't have my graphics running. But i'll have a look again a kexts.com. I recall that yesterday it won't let me register so i could download.

Hello, no, no new post for it.

the Snow Leopard Version is here...

10.6.X

Mmm it didn't work i think because my bios mixes up my boot order sometimes. I use a usb drive to test this setting.

So i dont have to use the Uinstaller and just use the 10.6.2 package and the chameleon rc4 and it should work?