New Safari For Windows Beta

22 posts in this topic

Safari for Windows Public Beta

Experience the web, Apple style, with Safari: the fastest, easiest-to-use web browser in the world. Build 306A10 has significant improvements in performance, stability and compatibility. Please review the seed notes for details. Requires: Windows XP or Vista, At least 256MB of RAM and 500Mhz Pentium-class processor or better.

Login To ADC To Download It, You DON'T Need A Paid Account

No, listen, Safari for Windows is like Internet Explorer for Mac emulated in rosetta so it's unusable.

Safari for Windows is like Internet Explorer for Mac. (need I say more? :D )

I think you mean "Safari is like Internet Explorer: they both suck." :blink: I hate Safari, I don't even use it on my Mac OS systems; the very, very, very first thing I do on all new operating systems is grab Firefox.

I don't get why built-in browsers on operating systems suck so badly. IE, Safari, Konqueror, Epiphany, they ALL suck. Making Firefox the default browser in Ubuntu is darn near the smartest thing ever done, even if Ubuntu does suck in every other dimension.

Personally, I'm a Safari user on OS X but on any other OS, I set Firefox as my default.

That's how I was, but lately I've been using FF in OS X too. FF3 will be fantastic on OS X, i'm really looking forward to it.

That's how I was, but lately I've been using FF in OS X too. FF3 will be fantastic on OS X, i'm really looking forward to it.

I would set FF as my default, but I hate mouse scrolling in FF on OS X. It seems to be really choppy when scrolling up and down compared to Safari. :dev:

Firefox just isn't as well-integrated into the Mac OS as Safari is - I don't understand how anyone could use anything but safari...there's nothing wrong with it at all, and Firefox is an overcelebrated piece of crapware.

Here's the seed notes if anyone cares:

Getting Started:

PLEASE UNINSTALL ANY PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED COPY OF SAFARI FOR WINDOWS BETA BEFORE INSTALLING THIS VERSION

1. Launch Safari by double-clicking the Safari icon on the desktop, or by selecting Safari from

the Start Menu under Program Files/Safari.

2. The first time you launch Safari, it will automatically import bookmarks from Firefox and

Internet Explorer. These can be viewed in the Bookmarks Editor.

3. You can change your default browser to Safari by selecting Safari in the Default Web Browser

pop-up in the General Preferences panel.

4. When reporting crashing bugs, please include a crash dump file. Â

Information on locating these files can be found here:Â

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2...rash-dumps.aspx

5. If you have the debug menu turned on you may see errors related to SymRegisterCallbackW64. These

errors should not reappear occur after restart; If they do persist, you can turn off the debug menu or

install the MS symbols from http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols...x86_6.8.4.0.msi

================================================================================

===========

Please Note:Â

- If you want to install Java, you can download it from this URL:Â http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

- Plug-ins are used out of vendor's installation folder, or from Firefox plug-in directory

- Networking preferences are pulled in from the Internet control panel on Windows for proxies

- If you want to uninstall this build, simply go to "Add or Remove Programs",

scroll down to Safari, click it and then click "Change or Remove".

================================================================================

===========

Filing Bugs: Please file bugs via http://bugreporter.apple.com and include the build number [ 306A10 ]

===========

This build contains a significant number of fixes. Please give it a good thrashing!

- Added support for window.showModalDialog

- Focus is now put on the page for newly opened windows, instead of the address field

- Autocomplete list for form controls no longer submit form when hitting enter to select item

- Caps lock icon shows up in password fields

- Safari application supports mail-link: urls, for Safari RSS' "Mail Link to This Page" action

- window.resizeTo now restricts the resized window to the size of the screen

- Safari obeys "Never Accept" cookie policy, from preferences

- Can now type in edit fields after printing a page via context menu

- Maximized window no longer intrudes on 2nd monitor

- Back button is now enabled even if page navigation hasn't completedÂ

- Pressing Enter on selected buttons fires onClick

- "Open in New Tab/Window" options implemented in context menu, for selected URL text

- Help buttons in pop up window opens corresponding file when removing cookies

- Dates on history menu are correct

- Keyboard shortcuts work when modal dialog is displayed in another window

- Safari alerts if attempted download does not have privileges to save into the chosen location

- New window to be opened behind current one is not be drawn in front first

- Keyboard accelerators now working in Print Preview window

- Correct file extension suggested for saved image file (png)

- Autofill preserves original case of characters typed

- Can open local files when dragging them from localized desktop to address field on Russian system

- Can now drag images out of browser directly to other apps

- Accelerators are now working in current window if AB window for Autofill is open somewhere

- Tabs are now repainted in minimized window after selecting "show Tab bar" in open window

- Font Picker should is not listed in Safari History

- Hang on specific gaming website now fixedÂ

- "Would you like to save password" sheet does not disappear when new page in another tab is opened

- Java 5 is now supported by Safari

- Contents of Activity Window are sized to match window when first brought up

- Fixed crash in Silverlight when opening a specific web page

- SVG image support is turned on

- Developer menu has been added with web developer specific options (enabled in preferences)

- Crash fixed, when opening any FTP site in second tab/window

- popup blocking is applied to plugins on Windows

- "Include Develop menu" was changed to "Show Develop menu in menu bar" to match rest of OS

===========

Visit the Safari Developer FAQ http://developer.apple.com.internet/safari/faq.html for

Safari specific web developer tips including the user-agent string and debugging information.

And also (finally) they added the developer/debug menu on the menu bar.

developby5.jpg

Thanks for this information, Needed to make sure my site looked ok in Safari under Windows (Dunno why it shouldn't since it must use the same HTML Rendering Engine as the Mac Safari).

I'm waiting for Safari to get Vista style Minimize/Mazimize/Close buttons, and move the menu bar up to the top of the window like on iTunes.

It's been a while since I got on my ADC account....Let's see if I remember my password =p

I'm waiting for Safari to get Vista style Minimize/Mazimize/Close buttons, and move the menu bar up to the top of the window like on iTunes.

It's been a while since I got on my ADC account....Let's see if I remember my password =p

i have bad password habits. i use the same password for almost everything

Yeah, me too. They gave iTunes the nice easy-to-click min/max/close buttons, why not safari? I don't get why Apple {censored} all over MS's GUI guidelines >_>.

Thanks for letting me know. ;)

h ,h ,h hhhhhh, oooohhh ooh ho oho god

yes i put thought into that.

ur not admin u cant access that nor can admins.

unless,,,

My Pulse:-----------------------------------______________------------------------------

Firefox just isn't as well-integrated into the Mac OS as Safari is - I don't understand how anyone could use anything but safari...there's nothing wrong with it at all, and Firefox is an overcelebrated piece of crapware.

Hasn't Internet Explorer taught people anything? Browser-OS integration is about the worse thing you can do for security purposes.