Acer Extensa 5220 - LOW price´n NICE

comatron

173 posts in this topic

Glad you got it working, good that reinstalling leopard does not take that long on the 5220.

I live in Germany where the acer 5220 is at the moment 379 exclusive shipping that's the edition without windows. I bought mine a month ago for 399 inclusive shipping. The 379 price is at the (in germany well known store) www.alternate.de. Prices for the 5220 tend to fluctuate between 379 and 419.

I noticed one weird thing with my current install : When leopard comes out of sleep the number 7 is typing continuously, i have to hit escape to stop it. Also i have to switch on airport manually when coming out of sleep mode. Other than that it's fine. Nic-cardreader-infrared remain without function. I have no pcmcia cards to check that function.

Lets not forget we have a 15,4 inchscreen notebook on which we can run everyting (all windows, linux, osx) for next to nothing ! An apple laptop with 15,4inch is 1899 euro's....

For bozon : rightclick on the battery indictator > select show > time, if that does not work i recomment a clean install then it should work. And what do you mean with the power cable ?

hello germike,

battery indicator is ok - i had to make another reboot.

What annoys me is that after shutdown (when monitor goes off) i have to keep power on/off button longer to really turn my Acer off.

I realized that when there is no power cable - it means Acer goes from its batteries - after shutdown it shows a window

in different languages that I should turn off the computer.

Do you have the same error???

Regards,

bozon42

Hello Bozon,

That is strange mine does not have the same error. When i shutdown the laptop goes completly off without me having to do anything extra. No difference when on battery power. Maybe it is the bios version ? mine is the new 1.21 with the ide/ahci option. Check if you have that, if so we have the same version.

At the moment i am back to vista on the acer, because i had real trouble with the small font redering on osx. I find it extremely hard to read. On vista everything is crystal clear. Vista however has other problems, mostly that it is quite slow on the acer compared to leopard.

Hello Bozon,

That is strange mine does not have the same error. When i shutdown the laptop goes completly off without me having to do anything extra. No difference when on battery power. Maybe it is the bios version ? mine is the new 1.21 with the ide/ahci option. Check if you have that, if so we have the same version.

At the moment i am back to vista on the acer, because i had real trouble with the small font redering on osx. I find it extremely hard to read. On vista everything is crystal clear. Vista however has other problems, mostly that it is quite slow on the acer compared to leopard.

Hello germike,

my bios is 1.18 and was updated via CD taken from net. Could you prepare me similar CD with 1.21 version and I can repeat the whole process sometime in the future?

probably some kext may be the source of the problem. PowerCPUxxx.kext???

I do not remember the exact name but read somewhere on the forum that needs to be deleted.

Regards,

bozon42

Hi,

can any tell me which Firewire chipset the notebook have?

A TI chip would be nice but i think for this price it´ll be any cheap chip

Hello Napstar195,

check more on

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Extensa_5220

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Acer_Extensa_5220

or try to boot with Linux LiveCD of any distribution and run lspci command.

Regards,

bozon42

• 2 weeks later...

my installation:

install leo4all first version (not used the ppf-patch) with ioata-fix

delete appleacpips2nub.kext from the system/library/extensions (because it has disabled my mouse and kb)

used ALC268_Installer2 from here

Ive also installed the LeopardGraphicsUpdate from apple, but I dont know if its necessary...

For the batterymeter Ive used the apleacpiplatform.kext and put the powermanagement.bundle into the systemconfiguration as described in this thread.

~

followed all the hints and tricks in this thread to install and apply patches/extensions etc

everything works fine, minus the mentioned "bugs" ... kinda curious why 7 is typed all the time when woken up out of standby ...

followed all the hints and tricks in this thread to install and apply patches/extensions etc

everything works fine, minus the mentioned "bugs" ... kinda curious why 7 is typed all the time when woken up out of standby ...

That doesn't happen on mine!

no more "7" problems here after updating everything and adding battery indicator etc.

does your fan go on form time to time if you only have adium running?

Yeap, and thats cause celerons lack speedsteping so it does it in windows too ;P

:D I have installed that iso image 'Leo4all' on the ACER Extensa 5220 Laptop (with 1GB of RAM) this time you don't need that external display to install... :P It seems like that the Intel GMA 3100 graphics driver are already included. There was a fine intro with cool graphics by the first registration logon. The only mayor thing too fix is the sound which can be done by the earlier instructions on this topic... the only thing left is to wait for the LAN driver, the wireless LAN is working out of tha box. A little issue with the energy saver preferences, the battery indicator is working well..But I can't choose for 'better energy savings' i seems it's stuck on 'normal' (I have used the power management bundle from 10.4.11) maybe somebody has the solution for this...?? and if anybody knows a driver for the LAN (wired) any replies would be nice... (so I can finally delete that stinking Vista from this Laptop !! :P

By the way Vista says on the wired LAN it's a broadcom too, a 'Broadcom NetLink Gigabit' with the hardware ID: 'PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1693&SUBSYS_011C1025&REV_02' maybe someone knows a quick solution too get the wired LAN working too.. (I really hate to use Vista when I have to use the wire for internet) :dev:

hi again dudes. i just installed leo4allv2 on a seperate hd to test with the acer. i did that to test if the gma3100 would be faster this time cause on real macbooks the gui is much faster than on the acer (tryin to figure out why). i didnt select ANY drivers at startup. after first full boot i checken ci/qe: not available. system profiler says: no kext loaded. so i removed the gma950 and framebuffer stuff from the extensions (like said in many posts - also on netkas forums) but STILL no qe/ci. i dont want to install any injector or package for that ... can anyone help me? like givin me some ideas - GFX string maybe? i dunno why that damn machine doesent run the x3100 nativly after the new setup ... lemme hear what you thinkok.

EDIT: i installed the 10.5.2 gfx update from apple.com and it worx again (qe/ci) - but no better performance then previous install. but with this install i did no use any 3rd party drivers for gfx so far :rolleyes:

I've got a problem with leo4all. can't open trackpad settings. any solutions?

On my first boot (after registration) my keypad and trackpad were working fine, but after the first restart my keypad and trackpad were disabled !! I couldn't figure out why... In a desperate way I put the AppleACPIPlatform.kext in my extensions folder (which is posted in the beginning of this topic in the Acer 5220 zipfile) and repaired it with Set and repairpermisssions 1.0 because with this software I haven't to put my blank password with the keyboard (which wasn't working) With this software I only had to click with my USB mouse... this was my only input device what still was working...

After the reboot everything was working fine, including the trackpad setting in the mouse and keyboard section on the system preferences panel !! Maybe this a solution too for you.. I don't know I'm pretty new in this {censored}..

just read about deleting the "AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext" would be the solution to fix trackpad/keys - which would be an easy solution :P

PS: did any of you put a stronger CPU (c2d 7xxx series) in the machine? i read that it is no problem but i want to hear about performance pluses ;)

No I am way to poor. but you can stick 3 gigs of memory into it *1 1 gig and 1 2 gig chip* plus any socket P processor *dunno about the 45nm ones though* work. Memory can be up to 667mhz *anything more is a waste* processor can be 800mhz fsb.

Now send me some money so I can update ;)

Hi,

I haven't found any info about the internal modem. On my 5220 it's not recogniced by 10.5.2.

Anybody with infos about an external USB-Modem that works, alternatively?

Thanks in advance...

• 4 weeks later...

Hello I just installed kalyway leo 10.5.2 on my acer extensa 5220

Everything works perfect(I didn't even have to plug in an external display to install), except USB. No matter what I plug in the iAcer :unsure: doesn't detect anything.

Has anyone got a solution?

• 2 weeks later...

Warning for people who want to buy this Extensa 5220; you will not have WLAN since this laptop is now being shipped with an incompatible chip (AR5007EG). I bought the portable thinking it will be WLAN compatible, but it is not. Only the older models were shipped with a Realtek chip.

Things that will not (yet) work:

-WLAN

-Card reader slot

-IR

-cursor buttons below touchpad

-S-Video out

-56K modem

-LAN

Hello I just installed kalyway leo 10.5.2 on my acer extensa 5220

Everything works perfect(I didn't even have to plug in an external display to install), except USB. No matter what I plug in the iAcer ;) doesn't detect anything.

Has anyone got a solution?

I had the same problem. Try reinstalling and deselect most of the patches you do not need (like all of the chipsets, USB correction patch...). By default, too many patches are being installed. I hope this will help.

Hi

I installed the Kalyway OS X and it works fine except LAN and the other things ...

-Card reader slot

-IR

-cursor buttons below touchpad

-S-Video out

-56K modem

-LAN

To get the front / headset out to work I installed the Patch from the first post.

How get i the Coverflow in Itunes to work? I've read something that it could be the driver but don't know.

PS:

not every Extensa is shipped with this Broadcom chipset. Acer used three different wlan chips, atheros, broadcom and intel...

It seems there are lots of different 5220 models:

e.g.:

Acer Extensa 5220-201G08Mi

Acer Extensa 5220-101G08Mi

Acer Extensa 5220-100508MI

Acer Extensa 5220-100508Ci

which ones are you guys talking about, and do they all work with the same compatibility?

Installed 10.5.3 delta update today following Netkas' tutorial. Works.

I only replaced appleHDA.kext and, 'cause WiFi is not recognized anymore, IO80211family.kext with versions from 10.5.2.

No problems so far, System seems a bit faster, still no LAN nor modem.