Acer Extensa 5220 - LOW price´n NICE

comatron

173 posts in this topic

Hi,

I also got my Acer 5220 working with kalyway 10.5.2. Is there any chance to get sidebar-scrolling enabled for the trackpad? Does it even have sidebar-scrolling in windows? I tried FFScroll and it worked partially, but my mousepointer always kind of jumped around like every 3 minutes.

Hope anyone has a working solution.

• 2 weeks later...

hello, im from germany - my english is not good :D but i have a question:

does everyone have updated to the kalyway 10.5.3 and have the Powermanagement at work?

i have tried it but i dont becom informations about the battery with the 10.5.3.

Transparency is on but no Powerinfo :hysterical:

should it work wenn i backup the Powermangeemant drivers from 10.5.2? but there is then a new question: where did i find them an how they called?

i hope someone can read my english and can answer me ;)

Edit: i solved the problem myselves -> backup the extensions and the powermanagement.bundle are the answer for the battery info problem. now i have 10.5.3, transparency and battery info :P

• 1 month later...

Hey Folks,

bought an Acer Extensa 5220 cheap off ebay and now I'm trying to get it to work.

It is an 5220 - 100508 VHB

Celeron M540 w/ 1.86Ghz

Bios Revision 1.22

I installed 10.5.1 from stock DVD and did a combo update to 10.5.4 using netkas-script to kill the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext immediately, replaced dsmos.kext and installed the AppleACPIPlattorm.kext from the package provided here.

The installation runs on any compatible machine here fine - but not on the Acer.

Booting with -v shows

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A8CD4): Kernel trap at  0x0017403a, type 14=page, fault, registers: ...

followed by

Debugger called: <panic>

followed by some strings and then

Mac OS version:
not yet set

Kernel Version:
Darwin Kernel Version 9.4.0: bla bla bla

Has somebody any idea how to solve this?

<-- EDIT -->

Tried iAtkos 10.5.1 as well as Kalyway 10.5.2...

Both come up with the same panic and "driver for this platform not found... either AHCI or IDE Mode is enabled... :D

Edited by sheeplover

Hello,

as far as I remember, I used Kaly10.5.1 (with external screen!!), added Kaly 10.5.2 (combo+kernel)+apple GraphicsUpdate 1.0(??), KalyCombo10.5.3 (following instructions inside) then mac update 10.5.4 from apple webpage.

Then played with setting sound, battery. [check http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77524&st=0&gopid=570687entry570687 for acer5220.zip. (comatron's input)]

Regards,

bozon42

Note: I used boot -v cpus=1 for 10.5.1 installation!!!

bozon42

I tested some more and I think the Extensa is damaged.

Even Vista is unable to install, it comes up with a message of a missing kernel on boot.

I think either the CPU or RAM will be broken - I will call acer for repair or replacement.

Thanks for your answer!

• 2 weeks later...

soooo ...

My Acer 5220 is back from service with RAM replaces. I did a fresh install using ChameleonEFI and a stock-Leopard DVD.

I installed the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the first post as well as Taruga and an Powermanagment.bundle.

So far, everything is working just fine, like the X3100-gfx ootb with QE/CI enabled.

I installed a spare Dell 1390 Mini-PCI wireless-adapter that gets recognized as third-party airport compatible with PIN20 taped because I couldn't find a working kext for the Acer InviLink card that came with it (part-nr. 54.03174.081) - any clue regarding that?

Everything working so far, there is one really big issue:

Neither keyboard trackpad work! No success using ps2nub.kext either.

So, anybody???

----

So I solved this one - keyboard & trackpad are working now ... needed the ApplePS2Controller.kext additionally to get it to work.

No I also installed FFScrollDaemon and I got 2-FingerScrolling working :D

This notebook is really great for the little money - I will go for 2GB Ram and a C2D CPU ... :)

Mine works fine Extensa 5220-2516

I used iAtkos 10.5 v4 with sata and x3100 drivers.

The only challenge was the BCM4311 - but I just added the device ID to BCM43xx_enabler.sh

The only issues I have right now: sleep, and touchpad that screws up my typing.

Hello,

as far as I remember, I used Kaly10.5.1 (with external screen!!), added Kaly 10.5.2 (combo+kernel)+apple GraphicsUpdate 1.0(??), KalyCombo10.5.3 (following instructions inside) then mac update 10.5.4 from apple webpage.

Then played with setting sound, battery. [check http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77524&st=0&gopid=570687entry570687 for acer5220.zip. (comatron's input)]

Hello. 

can you send me your kexts for sound and battery? I forgot to backup my kexts =( and i have sound only from my built-in speackers...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a extensa 5220, its a great machine. but, i have a problem (see my picture). keyboard and trackpad works, only my system prefs for keyboard and mouse don´t work!

can you help me please?

post-10343-1220110280_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello:

i buy a 5220 with dual core T1400.

I try to install Jas10.5.4 and Kalyway 10.5.2 and the install it's ok.

I can install the kext for broadcom wifi 4312 and leo recognize as airport.

All runs fine: camera, mic, sound, battery, lan...

But when i try to install any kext or app, the system crash and can't reboot again and i've got to reinstall all again.

In about this mac, the processator is recognized like intel core 2 duo.

What's the problem?

Do i need to use cpus=1 in a dual core?

Do i change something in bios?

I'm very happy with the compatibility with leo but my other installs in others machine allways run fine and without serious problems.

Regards

Hello all,

yesterday I updated my Acer 5220 to 10.5.5.

1. First, download the update directly from Apple's website.

You can grab 10.5.5 at

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...s/macosx1055upd

ate.html

2. Before you run the downloaded file,

open up Terminal and type:

sudo su -

Enter your user password and then type:

while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done

3. Keep this window open while you run the downloaded update and install

it

4. Before you reboot, exit the Terminal script by holding down Ctrl and

pressing X (Ctrl + X).

Close Terminal and hit the button on the Update to reboot your computer.

5 Done

Note: I had to reboot twice.

Note2: sound was not working after update.

Solution:

See Link:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...96434&st=40

Post#50

Saved guide from wiki.taruga.net

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Definitive Guide to Fixing the Realtek ALC268 Soundcard (With Workin Shutdown!!!!) In Leopard

1.Run ALC268Installer 2 or 1. (Depending on which works for you.)

2.Before Restarting delete /System/Library/Extensions/ALCInject.kext

3.Use Kext Helper b7 to install HDAEnabler.kext

4.With DiskUtility Fix permissions

5.Restart and make sure that Internal Speakers is selected in Audio Settings

6. Then run HDA Fix v3 (Riavvia in seguito means Restart later, Riavvia means Restart now)

7. Click Restart Later

8.Repair permissions with Disk Utility

9.Restart

10.Bootup and sound and shutdown should work.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've got iDeneb 10.5.4 (later upgraded to 10.5.5) installed on my Extensa 5220. No onboard wifi (uses the Atheros chip, unsupported for now), but sound works using the steps in the post above, and I just got LAN to work!! using this kext: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=903347

You can also try this one: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127903

I've got iDeneb 10.5.4 (later upgraded to 10.5.5) installed on my Extensa 5220. No onboard wifi (uses the Atheros chip, unsupported for now), but sound works using the steps in the post above, and I just got LAN to work!! using this kext: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=903347

You can also try this one: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127903

Hi:

What specifications has your 5220?

Regards

Hi:

What specifications has your 5220?

Regards

It's a Extensa 5220 101G08MI, with:

Intel Celeron 540 - 1.86GHz

Intel X3100 video - works with the patch included on iDeneb, sometimes there are random screen glitches while booting but QE/CI works

1GB DDR2 RAM

80GB HDD - upgraded to a 250GB one, SATA/AHCI works

Atheros AR5007EG Wireless - not working, I use a Zydas USB dongle

Broadcom BCM5787M - working using the kext I mentioned before, mac 00:00:00:00:00:00

ALC268 sound - working with shutdown, using the steps above mentioned

Now I'm looking for a way to enable the onboard Card Reader so I don't have to use my USB one, but so far it works great.

It's a Extensa 5220 101G08MI, with:

Intel Celeron 540 - 1.86GHz

Intel X3100 video - works with the patch included on iDeneb, sometimes there are random screen glitches while booting but QE/CI works

1GB DDR2 RAM

80GB HDD - upgraded to a 250GB one, SATA/AHCI works

Atheros AR5007EG Wireless - not working, I use a Zydas USB dongle

Broadcom BCM5787M - working using the kext I mentioned before, mac 00:00:00:00:00:00

ALC268 sound - working with shutdown, using the steps above mentioned

Now I'm looking for a way to enable the onboard Card Reader so I don't have to use my USB one, but so far it works great.

Thanks.

Did you select Ahci from bios before install leo?

Regards

I think so - it wasn't Leo but iDeneb 10.5.4 (now 10.5.5 is available). I remember that it didn't boot in ATA/IDE mode, it only booted when SATA was chosen

I install leo 10.5.2 and Jas10.5.4 without AHCI and the system boot well both.

The problem is that leo is inestable and crash when i try to install apps.

If i don't install anything, leo runs well :wacko:

I try with AHCI but windows xp don't start with this option...

Thanks

Though I did get the sleep to work and battery by changing the SMBIOS file

Hi,

I installed iatkos 4i (10.5.4) and it works fine and sound etc works almost out of the box on this laptop!

But the sleep function does not work like you stated before.

Can you explain a bit more what you did to get this working? Were is the SMBIOS file located on the system?

Could you send/post the SMBIOS file?