Acer Extensa 5220 - LOW price´n NICE

comatron

173 posts in this topic

just bought that acer low end notebook (for 400 EURO!) and installed kalyway leo 10.5.1 (on external display). installed the gmxx3100.pkg to get the gfx working on internal display. ci/qe worx out of the box! wlan, firewire, ahci controller, out of the box, too! installing efi8 and guid from dvd-installations works like a charm. used azalia.kext to get sound out.

system specs: celeron 530 1.73 (like core solo - SSE3), 512mb ddr2 ram (will be upgraded next week!), 80gb ahci sata hd, x3100 gma intel gfx, realtek alc 268 sound, wlan??? but does work as airport card, lan NOT workin yet as i didnt find out what chip it is - but i guess realtek too, dl-dvd-writer worx outta the box. sleep worx NICE out of the box with stock kernel.

FIXED:

speakers out, headphones out, internal mic and external mic WORK!

battery power management WORX

ONLY lan not working - but WLAN is fine - everythings TOP NOTCH!

Installing SOUND:

First install the executable taruga patcher - DONT REBOOT after that - then install the AppleHDA kext by using kexthelper or manually by shell - then reboot. DONE.

acer5220.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hello comatron,

I also have Acer Extensa 5220 but I am not able to boot kalyway 10.5.1 into GUI and start Disk Utility.

Have you formatted the whole HD before ? To FAT32?

What option did you use in F8 ?

Have you used -v cpu=1 ?

How did you add the needed kexts then?

A would highly appreciate if you could help me.

Thanks in advance,

bozon42

just bought that acer low end notebook (for 400 EURO!) and installed kalyway leo 10.5.1 (on external display). installed the gmxx3100.pkg to get the gfx working on internal display. ci/qe worx out of the box! wlan, firewire, ahci controller, out of the box, too! installing efi8 and guid from dvd-installations works like a charm. used azalia.kext to get sound out.

system specs: celeron 530 1.73 (like core solo - SSE3), 512mb ddr2 ram (will be upgraded next week!), 80gb ahci sata hd, x3100 gma intel gfx, realtek alc 268 sound, wlan??? but does work as airport card, lan NOT workin yet as i didnt find out what chip it is - but i guess realtek too, dl-dvd-writer worx outta the box. sleep worx NICE out of the box with stock kernel.

NEED TO BE FIXED:

can you guys help me get the sound IN (internal mic OR mic jack) get to work? i tried hdapatcher 1.20 with linux dumpfile - patching routine works and says: OK but still no sound in :-/

also i cant get a battery status or power management in the preferences.

Hi Hackintosh user! Welcome you to this topic! Try to explain you problem on them sub-forum, we need to know more issue! ;)

bozon you need to put an external screen on the maschine to setup leo. i will upload all the software tweaks in this thread tomorrow - you need a gfx patch for internal screen, a soundpatch and the ahci patch to get the battery indicator working. here EVERYTHING is workin except LAN - WLAN WORK out of the box ...

BTW i used kalyway 10.5.1 cause iatkos sux and wont run efi8/guid from installation. kalyway is teh men.

bozon you need to put an external screen on the maschine to setup leo. i will upload all the software tweaks in this thread tomorrow - you need a gfx patch for internal screen, a soundpatch and the ahci patch to get the battery indicator working. here EVERYTHING is workin except LAN - WLAN WORK out of the box ...

BTW i used kalyway 10.5.1 cause iatkos sux and wont run efi8/guid from installation. kalyway is teh men.

hi,

thanks for the quick reaction.

BTW I have also Kalyway 10.5.1 - hope it will be ok.

See you tomorrow.

bozon42

ps: This Kaly works on my Desktop PC - on the 2nd SATA disk.

comatron,

one more question:

will it be a single os installation with whole HD formatting or can I leave the primary1 NTFS XP(15GB)+ primary2 NTFS HIDE(5GB) untouched?

i am thinking to have XP_LINUX_OSX system... if possible.

But will be happy to try at least with OSX for the start :-))

bozon42

oh thats kinda multiboot question :D im runnin in on the whole HD with guid ... check some multiboot threads how to use guid with linux und windows - sorry i cant help you with that :thumbsup_anim: i just need mac os on this machine ...

But I still would like to tru your solution if you do not mind ...

Thanks in advance,

bozon42

oh thats kinda multiboot question :) im runnin in on the whole HD with guid ... check some multiboot threads how to use guid with linux und windows - sorry i cant help you with that :P i just need mac os on this machine ...

Hello comatron,

yesterday i reformatted the whole 120GB HD and installed 10.4.9 version to newly created 1partition-HD.

So it seems 10.5.1 can be installed also - I hope.

I did not have enough time to check everything - but neither LAN nor SOUND worked in 10.4.9.

To be frank this system is too new for me and did not read any docs so far ...

So I am waiting for your 10.5.1 solution...

bozon42

It will be {censored} quality, just like every Acer built. See if the power connector's still in-tact, a year from now.

I spend half my life fixing the ruddy things. I've started soldering non-OEM power plugs on those I repair because they look more solid, but they're just a flawed design. So many of the power sockets either crack or the centre pin comes out...

The oddest fault I've encountered is one I've got in a drawer here which just drops the power connection the the HDD randomly. The connector is soldered down to the PCB fine, so it must be a PCB fault, no doubt caused by the excessive flex allowed by Acer's crappy cheap cases.

People think they're saving money by buying this filth, but if you have to buy a new Acer every year, you may as well have bought the MacBook you wanted to start with, or at least spend a few more quid and get something properly built like a Dell or a Lenovo - at least with them, you'll be able to get through to tech support when the need arises...

ok the patches are in the first post now. for how to install kexts read the forum please. sure acer is cheap and the case isnt very stable, but its 400$!!! where to get a cheaper notebook AND its very compatible. it has santa rosa so you can put 4gig of ram and a core2duo 2,2ghz in it without any stress or lost of guarantee. the display is nice to me (bright and the colors are very intensive). sure lenovo/dell is better - but 200 bucks expensiver.

and yes, turn ahci on. make sure you got at least bios 1.21

ok the patches are in the first post now. for how to install kexts read the forum please. sure acer is cheap and the case isnt very stable, but its 400$!!! where to get a cheaper notebook AND its very compatible. it has santa rosa so you can put 4gig of ram and a core2duo 2,2ghz in it without any stress or lost of guarantee. the display is nice to me (bright and the colors are very intensive). sure lenovo/dell is better - but 200 bucks expensiver.

and yes, turn ahci on. make sure you got at least bios 1.21

thanks comatron,

hope i can try it this week.

My BIOS is updated to 1.18 - and AHCI is chosen - will this version be enough?

Does it mean I do not need to connect external monitor?

It means I will need more google for getting LAN running...

Thanks again and regards,

bozon42

bozon: 1. i guess yes 2. yes 3. oh yes

goodwin: sorry to hear that :o i just wanted to help. i am using original vanilla apple stock kernel 10.5.1 and efi8 (included in kalyway) and the ACPI kext worx perfectly here :-/

ps thanx goodwin for the lan info - as i never installed windows i couldnt check vendor and id :| thanx

2comatroni use toh rc2, now i'll try to install kalyway distrib :)There can be it because of that that I establish macos on the laptop dell and then I rearrange the hdd back in acerSimply there is no possibility to connect the external monitor :)But thanks for the help :|

just bought that acer low end notebook (for 400 EURO!)

you got ripped off, 400 euro = $800 usd and u could get an acer aspire on ebay with a core duo and a gb of ram for $400usd = 200 euro

lol ... you cant get ANY new notebook under 400euro in germany exept you buy an EEPc which sucks and isnt a notbook imo. check the german prices :( and btw 400 euro are 588 usd but you cant see it that way... for example: m-audio fasttrack pro soundcard costs 199euro lowest price in germany. i ordered mine NEW from the us and paid - including shipping - 135 euro. seems like theres big inflation goin on.

bozon: 1. i guess yes 2. yes 3. oh yes

goodwin: sorry to hear that :P i just wanted to help. i am using original vanilla apple stock kernel 10.5.1 and efi8 (included in kalyway) and the ACPI kext worx perfectly here :-/

ps thanx goodwin for the lan info - as i never installed windows i couldnt check vendor and id ;) thanx

Thanks comatron.

You'e a Big Help.

bozon42

ps: a stupid question: did you put all xp drivers from web to check the driver types you need for your Acer? Since XP installs its own drivers

and DeviceID identification results in quite stupid information.

lol ... you cant get ANY new notebook under 400euro in germany exept you buy an EEPc which sucks and isnt a notbook imo. check the german prices :) and btw 400 euro are 588 usd but you cant see it that way... for example: m-audio fasttrack pro soundcard costs 199euro lowest price in germany. i ordered mine NEW from the us and paid - including shipping - 135 euro. seems like theres big inflation goin on.

my bad, i confused EUROs with British Pounds :rolleyes:

bozon no - i checked the pdf of the book and some sites to see the hardware build in. but i couldnt get the lan chip vendor and id till now. anyone a solution for it? then ALL things would work what is VERY nice :)

I see comatron.

I do will try the installation --- not having solution for LAN is a big pity though for me as well, since LAN would be the only way to get to Net.

But I do not give up!!!:-))

bozon42