Acer Extensa 5220 - LOW price´n NICE

comatron

173 posts in this topic

Hello comatron,

I formatted the whole hd with fat32+set boot flag with gparted,connected my external monitor, used F8 -v cpus=1 option,

entered into DiskUtility and chosen disk0s1 under FirstAid panel Verified and named the partition to Leo and

formatted to Mac OS Extended Journaled on Erase panelon:

Volume Format=Mac OS Extended Journaled

Name=Leo

On the left partition Leo appeared. Chosen this under FirstAid

--> Verify has given: The Volume Leo appears to be OK

I chose HD(not Leo partition!!) and in Partition panel i saw

Leo partition in Volume scheme: current

BUT Option cannot be chosen. WHY???

What did I wrong?

When I set Volume scheme: 1 partition and fill again:

Name=Leo

Format=Mac OS Extended Journaled,

Option can be chosen.

Set to GUID-ra + Apply and installation started.

Chosen Leo (Customize not changed) ---> installation OK.

(Is there something to be chosen to be able to do upgrades???)

Restart+turnoff PC, turn-on + take out Kaly Install DVD:

hd(0,1)

hd(0,2) Leo

appeared.

Chosen:Leo system came up!!!

Why Leo is on hd(0,2) Leo -- when i have only 1 partition??

What to do if disk0s1 NTFS (XP), disk0s2 NTFS (DATA), and disk0s3 (FAT32) were created in Gparted

and disk0s3 chosen set active for OSX?

MBR or GUID to be chosen?

I would like to do bup+restore of XP partition sometimes.

But the most important:

Your gmax3100.pkg from CD copied to Desktop + 2x clickk and it is automatically installed.

PC turned off - LCD unplugged + turn on and - voila!! - notebook ok with Leopard!!!

Thank you very much comatron!!

To be set:

Audio - not yet done (Taruga ALC 268 installer??)

LAN - Broadcom Netlink 5787M - NOK (f.e. change BMC5701 kext in hexeditor? )

Thanks for the answers.

bozon42

Hi comatron,

following your advice, I used first the Taruga file then the AppleHDA kext

and I have sound now. Fantastic!!!

Have you tried recently (4-Jan-2008) the solution of Diego Giovany

D.G.D_Mod_of_Taruga_ALC268___V0.3abc.zip to get volume control???

Regards,

bozon42

It will be {censored} quality, just like every Acer built. See if the power connector's still in-tact, a year from now.

I spend half my life fixing the ruddy things. I've started soldering non-OEM power plugs on those I repair because they look more solid, but they're just a flawed design. So many of the power sockets either crack or the centre pin comes out...

The oddest fault I've encountered is one I've got in a drawer here which just drops the power connection the the HDD randomly. The connector is soldered down to the PCB fine, so it must be a PCB fault, no doubt caused by the excessive flex allowed by Acer's crappy cheap cases.

People think they're saving money by buying this filth, but if you have to buy a new Acer every year, you may as well have bought the MacBook you wanted to start with, or at least spend a few more quid and get something properly built like a Dell or a Lenovo - at least with them, you'll be able to get through to tech support when the need arises...

Good point worth reiterating. I stared in horror at the power socket on my new Acer Extensa 5620. The laptop has a business like robustness about it and I am unusually happy with the keyboard but the power socket looks appallingly cheap. Furthermore, one of the four USB sockets is dead. Though not exactly reassuring I could care less about the latter but the former bothers me. The new Gemstone range look cheaper in pictures than they do in the flesh but I am concerned about durability. The Extensas seems to be aimed at the more rugged business sector.

Lenovos don't appear to be as well made as the full blown IBM models and the keyboards are apparently soggy (I love IBM keyboards so that was dissapointing news). Dells seem to be trouble, or is that just the GMA X3100 on certain models not working as in other laptops? Samsung appeal to me a lot, great reivews, great build quality and reliability rating but... incompatible graphics chipsets. Damn it. You're spot on that people should buy a MacBook - hackintoshes are for hobbyists who are cash strapped but aspire to Mac ownership and want to eulogize the Mac experience - but the MacBook case's squared front edge chafes against my palms and the keyboard... you wouldn't want to write a novel on that thing, in my opinion. If they put Firewire on the next generation of MacBook Airs, I'm front of the queue!

Hi Comatron, good thread :rolleyes: I have put a link to it here on an Acer (Intel) thread I started, re Leopard.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=77396&st=0

the first thing i dont like, is that the x3100 gfx/gui is kinda slow when several windwos opened (not TOO slow but slow) . there must be a solution to get it faster cause on macbooks its way faster - i dont think its just the cpu givin the gfx more power. i have 2gb 667mhz rams inside. maybe an EFI-string would work better with original kexts - i dont know :) would be great to hear what you think.

lan is the second problem - if you get solutions - let me now

detox, seen you thread - nice!!

the first thing i dont like, is that the x3100 gfx/gui is kinda slow when several windwos opened (not TOO slow but slow) . there must be a solution to get it faster cause on macbooks its way faster - i dont think its just the cpu givin the gfx more power. i have 2gb 667mhz rams inside. maybe an EFI-string would work better with original kexts - i dont know :wacko: would be great to hear what you think.

lan is the second problem - if you get solutions - let me now

detox, seen you thread - nice!!

Comatron - your sound package solution worked for my Acer Extensa 5620 :) The sound isn't quite right via headphones but it is 100% better than anything I have tried previously, which included no volume adjustment. Quite a revelation! It means I won't have to carry around my X-FI usb soundcard, which works brilliantly but obviously will be drawing more power. I'll hold off to let you post on that Acer thread and take deserved credit, because it's a biggie (otherwise I'll feel like I'm stealing your thunder and offers of beers! http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry547415 . My workplace seems to be all about other people taking credit for things I do). Big thanks to Taruga, obviously (have you posted on the Taruga thread?) and thanks to anyone who suggested other fixes - but a big nod to you for putting it all together. :)

EDIT: I am sorry to have to add this one but the AppleHDA.kext breaks shutdown with my laptop, meaning the laptop's screen goes black and the laptop appears to be off but in fact the fan starts up shortly thereafter. In fairness the Power led remains illuminated but... if you missed that and the fan was silent and you put your laptop in a day pack... you could fry said laptop. You can however use a USB soundcard. I use a Creative X-FI usb card and it works brilliantly. Not an ideal solution but full shutdown is essential to me. Other things break shutdown, for sure, but this is one I am able to replicate with consistency.

I have wondered about Celeron processors and Leopard. Have you tried iATKOS? I have Kalyway on one partition, iATKOS on another. The xbench results for each are different, with the rounded up result favoring Kalyway by about 1.5%. Whether one or other will favour Celeron processors would be interesting to know.

For those who are using an Acer laptop that has an intel GMA X3100 it might be good to hear that iATKOS has the GMA X3100 as an install option, so you don't need to use an external monitor during the install process.

Edit: I suspect you've been working; I posted a link and credit on the Acer thread. Again, thanks :)

@detox: very nice acer thread!!! acer got thousands of models with very variing hardware solutions - so ill stay here with that 5220 thread to get this maschine 100% working :( (i have not that much time to spent on fixing aso.) ill concentrate now on efi strings cause you can get up all the hardware in this book without using modded kexts (except ahci yet)

@hRDCORE: install the AppleAHCI... kext from my package (post1) reboot, reboot again. and voila :) should do the trick (system preferences/power savings/battery)

greets back to germany, from germany :)

Apparently the shutdown issue is common and I am finding more users who have fried their laptop, thinking it was shutdown fully when it was not. The issue seems to be with core 2 duo laptops, though not all, and not with single core/Celeron laptops.

With Kalyway, if you have the GMA X3100 graphics chip, you might find that you have to delete the Appleintegratedframebuffer.kext in order to boot up your laptop using both cores. You will know if that is you because currently you will be typing cpus=1 or -x in order to boot to the desktop. I found that intially Kalway does shut down, after a clean install, but it takes very little to break that shutdown. I managed to install iLife but installing any other apps or the AppleHDA.kext killed shutdown and I couldn't ressurect it by removing said apps or the AppleHDA.kext. Perhaps the next Apple kernel update will fix the problem but I can find few Mac owners who have said problem and usually it turns out to be due to, say, keyboard remapping applications.

Hi Guys i need help i cant get it working.I Use Kalyway 10.5.1.Everytime in the Setup when the install is nearly finished.It shows me that the install has failed :(.Bios is up to date and i dont know what to do now :( please help me guys :( In the Bios if selected AHCI and ive tried both EFI MBR and GUID and it doesnt work for me what the hell is wrong? :(

greets

crucky

Ok I finally picked one up. Installed Iatkos V1.0 and did PC EFI V8 Manually off a stick. It boots and video, sound, battery display all work ;) Shutdown and Reboot seem to work too. Sleep however is broken. Once it sleeps I cannot wake it up. I need this to work badly. Anyone who could help I would be very happy. Also what do you all use to measure temp.. ect... and is there anything else I should be running. I am running Vanially Kernel and APCI... If I should replace either let me know. Or if I need to delete any extra KEXTs

Shutdown is messed because of the soundcard ;\

Though I did get the sleep to work and battery by changing the SMBIOS file

I have same problem with shutdown, after install its works but when I used Taruga patcher... shutdown isnt workin as it should... to shut down machine you need to hold power button a bit annoying :D

If anyone know how to fix this, let us know.

Darn it all to HECK! I installed 10.5.2 and The Graphics update. Graphics update worked but have yet to fully test it. Rates seem DOUBLE though in Itunes Visualizer. Though Xbench is still showing OPenGL around 18 ;( *GMA950 score over 200*

as i started the thread, here my 10.5.2 update resume

installed sucessfully (kaly/guit/efi) with the dmg file from apple.com (using netkas guide). directly after installation i replaced the kexts: AppleHDA & NATIT thats all. so the rest ist runnin with stock apple stuff - nice! trackpad and keyboard didnt work - installed ps2nub - worked again.

installed the gfx update 1.0. after that i was able to remove NATIT so my x3100 is natively injected !!! still {censored} benchmarks with the card and NOT that smooth gui like on my big machine. but it runs well. maybe i helped some of you with this info.

PS: please dont pm me - i dont check my pms - if its acer 5220 related, POST it here and set yourself "enable email notification of replies"!

Hi!

Kinda new to hachintoshing, but anyway - read info that i can install Leo on this notebook instantly done it(wife uses it - so no need for other software besides mail/web).

Installed kaly 10.5.1, with guid and efi. Booted for first time smoother than Vista. Then installed video kexts and sound solution - all works perfectly. Installed also AHCI - but still battery sign doesn't show. So my current problem is to get working WLAN and LAN.

Currently can't find solution for my WLan card - in Vista it was Atheros AR5007EG, and LAN is Broadcom NetLink ™ Gigabit Ethernet, maybe someone have solution.

Ahh. I have Acer Extensa 5220 - with 1.86GHz proc, 1gig ram and 120gig hdd ahci sata with X3100 graphic card.

Hi!

Kinda new to hachintoshing, but anyway - read info that i can install Leo on this notebook instantly done it(wife uses it - so no need for other software besides mail/web).

Installed kaly 1.5.1, with guid and efi. Booted for first time smoother than Vista. Then installed video kexts and sound solution - all works perfectly. Installed also AHCI - but still battery sign doesn't show. So my current problem is to get working WLAN and LAN.

Currently can't find solution for my WLan card - in Vista it was Atheros AR5007EG, and LAN is Broadcom NetLink ™ Gigabit Ethernet, maybe someone have solution.

Ahh. I have Acer Extensa 5220 - with 1.86GHz proc, 1gig ram and 120gig hdd ahci sata with X3100 graphic card.

Janux:

You have Broadcom BCM 5787M, for which there is no solution so far.

Use USB-Eth Adapter until it is solved.

Check the following:

"As I said this is only a temporary solution but at least you have wired eth connection:

try to read http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...4987&st=400.

Especially posts 410-411,416-417.

This is testimony, that DUB-E100 USB-Eth Adapter is working!!!"

Regards,

bozon42

bozon42:

Actually LAN is the last thing that i need - i need to get that WLAN working - but after browsing some threads think there is currently no solution for AR5007EG.

Is it possible that 10.5.2 could have some drivers?

Maybe someone can suggest some USB or PCMCIA WLAN for that - so i could get at least some WLAN.

info: dunno what for others but for me XP/Vista drivers for this card just sucks - only problems: cannot authenticate/connect or when connected about 30% of dropped packets.(USB WLan stick works marvelously - but not supported by MacOS)

Now i'm rethinking that need to get that notebook for service.

It will be {censored} quality, just like every Acer built. See if the power connector's still in-tact, a year from now.

I spend half my life fixing the ruddy things. I've started soldering non-OEM power plugs on those I repair because they look more solid, but they're just a flawed design. So many of the power sockets either crack or the centre pin comes out...

The oddest fault I've encountered is one I've got in a drawer here which just drops the power connection the the HDD randomly. The connector is soldered down to the PCB fine, so it must be a PCB fault, no doubt caused by the excessive flex allowed by Acer's crappy cheap cases.

People think they're saving money by buying this filth, but if you have to buy a new Acer every year, you may as well have bought the MacBook you wanted to start with, or at least spend a few more quid and get something properly built like a Dell or a Lenovo - at least with them, you'll be able to get through to tech support when the need arises...

Personally, I've been using an Acer Travelmate 4600 for over two years now. It's used constantly, the AC connector hasn't broken, it's been dropped on it's side once, slightly cracking the case, and I've never had a day's trouble from the HDD. The ODD failed out of the box, but was replaced immediately by Acer. It's been my constant companion sitting in a rucksack and I take it everywhere work takes me, day in, day out with no complaints, either in the work's van, or strapped to me back on my motorbike.

The only design flaw in the entire setup is the rucksack. That's put enough pressure on the screen to leave an outline of the keyboard scratched into the display, but you can only see that before it's powered on, and there's nothing wrong with the LCD matrix itself. I'll take the opposite side of things in this argument, and say I've either had a bloomin' miracle of a production model (Which could get upgraded to a Class II Relic since we've got two of them that we bought at the same time here at work, and neither's went wrong), or I'm just dead lucky when it comes to working with Acers. :blink:

Hmm. Anyone have some battery sign solution? After installing comatron's kexts it still doesn't show, rebooted 3 times.

Maybe there is some others kext's to try?

Janux: sorry but I do not have either the battery sign.

comatron:

1.You wrote to me (bozon42) in post4:

" you need a gfx patch for internal >screen, a soundpatch and the ahci patch to get the battery indicator working. here EVERYTHING is workin except LAN - WLAN WORK out of the box ..."

But I have the same problem as Janux.

2a. You also wrote that you updated to 10.5.2. Did you use afterwards only acer5220.zip to solve screen, sound and battery problem?

2b.You also mentioned that after graphics update you can remove Natit. Which file(s) or dir is (are) it exactly?

Thanks and regards,

bozon42