Acer Laptop users (Intel).

Detosx

572 posts in this topic

Posted here ages back, so I thought I'd drop in again and say Hi...

Still using my trusty Acer Extensa 5620-6830. It's come a long way from using hacked distro's; now I have a nice clean retail OSX installation using Boot231 on a GUID formatted drive, directly updated to 10.5.7. 90% of my kexts are on the hidden EFI partition instead of S/L/E. Things are SO much more stable now. I use it all day with heavy multitasking and never see a KP, crash, or lockup.

It's been over a year since I got it, so I've got some sweet hardware upgrades planned for it (as soon as I get the money). I'll try documenting everything I do for posterity, of course :D So far I just bumped up the Ram slightly and swapped the Wifi card.

There are of course still a few negatives, namely; choosing whether to have working Ethernet or working Sleep; having the first few cold boots of the day bring up a scrambled screen; having the Crystal Eye webcam work in everything BUT Photobooth. But the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages, I think. It's so stable now that instead of dual booting, I run my XP virtually within OSX... where the webcam even works!

I noticed a few others here use this model- share your successes and experiences! Perhaps if needed, I can package up my kext's and do a quick writeup on how I got to this point.

Hi CharredPC, I need to update my 5620 details. I remain fond of my 5620, cracking keyboard, decent screen, especially the later models; they got brighter and brighter through each revision. I am running retail with chameleon. Were you able to get sound working from Chameleon's Extra/Extensions folder? I am told it is not hard to do but have yet to find anyone who can tell me how to do it, drives me mad. I am running Madtux's ALC628 with auto switch from headphones to speakers, from S/L/E; pity the volume on the speakers isn't louder; using VLC player is louder than Quicktime or Divx player but still too quiet. Do you just have sleep or full hibernate working? I miss the latter using 10.5.7. I am told voodoohda works from Extra/Extensions but want to remain as close to Vanilla as possible. I use Temperature Monitor to keep an eye on temps. The 5620 runs hotter than some when rendering, etc.

Great business budget laptop, though. Mine came with one non functioning USB - but perfect otherwise! A nine cell battery would be nice, if there is such an option, or else an external battery pack.

Hi guys, I'm very interested in OSX and I'm using an ACER laptop. The model is Aspire 5573ANWXMi. I wonder whether I can install osx leopard on it?

Here are the specs of my laptop

Intel Core Duo processor T2350 1.86ghz, 533mhz fsb, 2mb L2 cache

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

320gb HDD

2.5gb DDR2 ram

Hope you guys can advice me. Thank you :P

Hi all,

I've updated my kalyway to 10.5.7 (after with 10.5.6) and now my Aspire 3690 haves high temperature, i guess the fan cooler is not working and my screen stays freezen when this temp stays high.

Anyone know how do i to solve this?

Finally got around to installing leo on my Aspire 7720-6182 and I couldn't be happier. There are a couple of minor snags, but nothing deal breaking, most of them involve things I don't use often anyways.

before buying this laptop, I did a couple days research to find the most compatible, decently powered machine I could find for a reasonable price, and it completely paid off. A big thanks to everyone here for helping out!

Here's a rundown:

Software:

Leo4All 10.5.2 v3 -> combo update to 10.5.5 then 10.5.7

Vanilla Kernel

Dual-boot with Vista (for BD playback)

Shut down/Restart work, no sleep yet (wakes immediately after sleeping, still working on this, but not really a high priority for me, as I generally use ac power)

Battery Meter works perfectly.

speedstep works

Hardware:

Core 2 Duo T5750@ 2ghz, 2mb L2 Cache

3GB ddr2 667

Intel PM965 Express Chipset

250GB Hard Drive

BD-ROM

nVidia Corporation Geforce 8400M GS - Works using NVKush/Leo graphics update with QE/CI. havent tested external monitor support yet (has DVI/VGA/S-video).

Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express - Installed drivers, shows up in profiler and system prefs, but haven't tested yet as I use wifi 99% of the time.

Intel 3945 a/b/g - replaced with Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n PCI Express, works out of box as airport.

Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter - works, but at the expense of some weird mouse behavior when a card is inserted. I never use it anyways, as my camera works as a card reader when I plug it in.

Realtek ALC268 - Works flawlessly, external/internal speakers, as well as internal/external mic

Firewire - Works out of box

Acer CrystalEye Webcam - surprisingly works perfectly out of box with photobooth. I didn't expect it to work at all, let alone with photobooth.

I don't have any cards to test the Expresscard 54 slot

again, I highly recommend this laptop, as most of the issues are only minor and won't really affect the overall experience (except the sleep issue, which I'm confident is fixable)

Hi guys, I'm very interested in OSX and I'm using an ACER laptop. The model is Aspire 5573ANWXMi. I wonder whether I can install osx leopard on it?

Here are the specs of my laptop

Intel Core Duo processor T2350 1.86ghz, 533mhz fsb, 2mb L2 cache

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

320gb HDD

2.5gb DDR2 ram

Hope you guys can advice me. Thank you :)

Hi tyc03, is that definitely the correct model number? Usually the best thing to do is to do a search on google or what have you, and use the model number and insanelymac as search terms. I didn't find anything with the model above. It sounds hopeful from the specification that you list. There are two ways you can approach this. One is to purchase Leopard/iLife/iWork as a single package and then, for ease, download and install IPC osx86. Or you could go the Chameleon/retail DVD route. I suggest beginners go the IPC route but please keep in mind you need to do the right thing and buy Leopard.

Re the install, first of all find out exactly which components your laptop has on the motherboard, including sound, wifi card and so on - then it will make selecting options from the IPC installer an easy enough task. There are no guarantees, though. Also download and install Temperature monitor to keep and eye on temperatures. Find out what the working temperature tolerances are for the T2350.

Hi all,

I've updated my kalyway to 10.5.7 (after with 10.5.6) and now my Aspire 3690 haves high temperature, i guess the fan cooler is not working and my screen stays freezen when this temp stays high.

Anyone know how do i to solve this?

I think netkas wrote about this on his website. Do a search. Are you running Temperature monitor?

• 3 weeks later...

The update to 10.5.8 went smoothly. As I use Chameleon V2, the only kexts that I needed to reinstate in System/Library/Extensions was the HDAenabler and HDA kexts. After repairing permissions, everything was working as before - but the laptop is much more responsive, the best update since 10.5.5 in that respect. I read that boot up times have been reported to be faster but, on my Extensa 5620, I haven't noticed any difference. I need to put a stopwatch to it, perhaps.

Just installed the 10.5.8 update and my Touchpad (Trackpad) and Keyboard doesn't work on my Laptop. I upgraded from iDeneb v1.4 (10.5.6) and my touchpad and keyboard was working fine before i upgraded.

I have an Acer Aspire 5310 Laptop.

- Bass

EDIT:

Nevermind, luckily before i updated from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 i made a backup of my extensions using OSX86 Tools and restored them when the update was complete.

My Touchpad, Keyboard, and Sound now work =D

Then I decided to have a go with the chameleon rc2 bootloader and it works great! It looks awsome man i recomend anyone to get it.

Also i had to reinstall the seatbelt kext to prevent kernel panics on mounting dmg's.

What i need to get fixed is the sleep, because it just doesn't work. Before i installed chameleon rc2 i had the command line darwin bootloader and when i went to boot up it said something about sleep failed and hibernate failed, I'm not sure what it said, so that might be a reason why it aint working, but hey the chameleon rc2 might have fixed it??

I will reply with the answer, i will go on check now.

Yeah i have an Acer aspire 5920

the specs and status of specs are a follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 With Centrino @ 2.00Ghz - Works even with both cores :D

Broadcom 5787M Ethernet - Works But you must use it in Promiscuous mode Follow Nobb1x's way of installing this

Intel Wireless 3945ABG - No working Yet but i have faith in mercurysquad and his skills for now i use a USB adapter with the ralink chipset and a fake airport menu (thanks for the menu by the way)

Intel ICH8 Chipset - Works

Intel GMA X3100 - Works perfectly at full resolution (1280x800) but you must install the GMA 950 Kexts therefore it poses GMA 950 and stretches the boot screen can plug in external monitor but may not mirror displays SERIOUSLY DO NOT TRY IT I HAD TO OPEN VOICE OVER AND NAVIGATE TO THE CHECKBOX TO TURN IT OFF.

Ricoh SD/MMC Card Controller - Works

500GB Seagate HDD - Works

4GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM - Works

Audio With Dolby Home theater Virtual Surroung sound - Works Well with VoodooHDA Internal Mic doesn't work but i can plug one in and the volume scroll wheel works aswell.

Keyboard & Trackpad - Works Perfectly with VoodooPS2 2 Finger and Side Scroll Works Very Well But no Acer media Touch :( (acer media touch is part of the trackpad by the way so i can see why it would not work but if it were part of the keyboard it might work) neither do the scroll button in the middle and some of the function keys work aswell such as mute and turn trackpad off.

82801 Mobile PCI Bridge - Works

FireWire - Works

Bluetooth 2.0 - Works

DVD-RW and other formats 8x Disc Burner/Tray - Works

Acer Crystal Eye Webcam - Works but not with Photobooth i use Camspinner

Acer Crystalbrite Display 15.4" - Works as a Normal Unrecognized by apple kinda display without the brightness toggle

Running iDeneb 10.5.8 (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!)

And WOW i am fully up to date with all of apple's releases

Just installed the 10.5.8 update and my Touchpad (Trackpad) and Keyboard doesn't work on my Laptop. I upgraded from iDeneb v1.4 (10.5.6) and my touchpad and keyboard was working fine before i upgraded.

I have an Acer Aspire 5310 Laptop.

- Bass

EDIT:

Nevermind, luckily before i updated from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 i made a backup of my extensions using OSX86 Tools and restored them when the update was complete.

My Touchpad, Keyboard, and Sound now work =D

Then I decided to have a go with the chameleon rc2 bootloader and it works great! It looks awsome man i recomend anyone to get it.

Also i had to reinstall the seatbelt kext to prevent kernel panics on mounting dmg's.

What i need to get fixed is the sleep, because it just doesn't work. Before i installed chameleon rc2 i had the command line darwin bootloader and when i went to boot up it said something about sleep failed and hibernate failed, I'm not sure what it said, so that might be a reason why it aint working, but hey the chameleon rc2 might have fixed it??

I will reply with the answer, i will go on check now.

If you are using Chameleon, now, with the needed kexts for keyboard and mouse in Chameleon's Extra/Extensions folder, you might want to install 10.5.8 again and get the full benefit of all those updated kexts. Sound doesn't work from Extra/Extensions, or at least I have yet to find someone who can tell me how to get it working from there. That's the only modified kext I have in System/Library/Extensions, along with one for ethernet but that's not a mod.

Yeah i have an Acer aspire 5920

the specs and status of specs are a follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 With Centrino @ 2.00Ghz - Works even with both cores :)

Broadcom 5787M Ethernet - Works But you must use it in Promiscuous mode Follow Nobb1x's way of installing this

Intel Wireless 3945ABG - No working Yet but i have faith in mercurysquad and his skills for now i use a USB adapter with the ralink chipset and a fake airport menu (thanks for the menu by the way)

Intel ICH8 Chipset - Works

Intel GMA X3100 - Works perfectly at full resolution (1280x800) but you must install the GMA 950 Kexts therefore it poses GMA 950 and stretches the boot screen can plug in external monitor but may not mirror displays SERIOUSLY DO NOT TRY IT I HAD TO OPEN VOICE OVER AND NAVIGATE TO THE CHECKBOX TO TURN IT OFF.

Ricoh SD/MMC Card Controller - Works

500GB Seagate HDD - Works

4GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM - Works

Audio With Dolby Home theater Virtual Surroung sound - Works Well with VoodooHDA Internal Mic doesn't work but i can plug one in and the volume scroll wheel works aswell.

Keyboard & Trackpad - Works Perfectly with VoodooPS2 2 Finger and Side Scroll Works Very Well But no Acer media Touch ;) (acer media touch is part of the trackpad by the way so i can see why it would not work but if it were part of the keyboard it might work) neither do the scroll button in the middle and some of the function keys work aswell such as mute and turn trackpad off.

82801 Mobile PCI Bridge - Works

FireWire - Works

Bluetooth 2.0 - Works

DVD-RW and other formats 8x Disc Burner/Tray - Works

Acer Crystal Eye Webcam - Works but not with Photobooth i use Camspinner

Acer Crystalbrite Display 15.4" - Works as a Normal Unrecognized by apple kinda display without the brightness toggle

Running iDeneb 10.5.8 (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!)

And WOW i am fully up to date with all of apple's releases

As far as I am aware Acers using the GMA X3100 graphics chip don't require any install option be selected from the iDeneb/IPCosx86 installers; the default Leopard kexts and those on the combo/update work without issue with Acer's GMA X3100 chip. I may be misreading what you are saying, though. People with some Dells do require a patched GMA X3100 to get the chip working without issue but not, as far as I am aware, Acer users.

I have yet to try VoodooPS2. Good to hear it works.

i Have an Acer aspire 5920 and i want the display to be seen as a color display does anyone know how i may be able to get this going
Hi Mr Vista, take a look at Vood's guide. I don't know if he is using the same model of 5920 as yourself but it might help:-

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=134310

If the URL link ever becomes outdated, search for the following subject line -  Acer 5920G + Leopard 10.5.5 Vanilla Retail GUIDE 2.0, Everything working

• 2 weeks later...
Detosx, do use chun nan´s pcmciafamily.kext (leopard version since 10.5.5) with 10.5.8 ?

On my Acer 6292 it did work till 10.5.7 - since the update it causes kernel panics.............

The only problem I am having at the moment is a periodic clicking sound, once every three seconds or so. I assumed it was the DVD drive but it seems to be related to the ALC268/HDA.

I am not sure I am using the chun nan kext with the 5620 but could well be with the 4720z. I will check over the next few days when I have some time off work, though I expect after all this time you will have found a work-around! 10.5.8 seemed to make Finder, etc, run a little faster, snappier, but my bootup time seems to have slowed a bit. I need to -v and see what's going on.

The only problem I am having at the moment is a periodic clicking sound, once every three seconds or so. I assumed it was the DVD drive but it seems to be related to the ALC268/HDA.

I am not sure I am using the chun nan kext with the 5620 but could well be with the 4720z. I will check over the next few days when I have some time off work, though I expect after all this time you will have found a work-around! 10.5.8 seemed to make Finder, etc, run a little faster, snappier, but my bootup time seems to have slowed a bit. I need to -v and see what's going on.

thanks....looking forward to your results -_-

Detosx, do use chun nan´s pcmciafamily.kext (leopard version since 10.5.5) with 10.5.8 ?

On my Acer 6292 it did work till 10.5.7 - since the update it causes kernel panics.............

I use it since 10.5.2 up 10.5.8, but i need keep/change those files to same time other case kernel panic:

IOPCIFamily.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

Check this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=167187

Sorry to have taken so long getting back to you. The short answer is I am not using a modded pcmciafamily.

My Extra/Extensions folder has the AHCIPortinjector, ACPIPS2NUB Decrypt PS2Controller ATAPortinjector Disabler IOAHCIBlockSotrageinjector JMicronATAinjector OpenHaltRestart VoodooBattery Some of those default install with Chameleon and aren't needed. In S/L/E I have HDA HDAEnabler (my Backup Extensions folder says those are the only two that I replaced) and BCM5787MEthernet. That's my Extensa 5620. I am not currently running 10.5.8 on 4720Z. Everything works on the 5620 apart from the card reader. The WiFi card I replaced for a Broadcom 4311, which works out-of-the-box.

• 2 weeks later...

when i use 2gb ram in my 3690 the ethernet freeze, i dont have ping or traceroute and when i replug this cable into ethernet my dhcp dont works. only restarting this system my ethernet works again. with 1gb ram my laptop works fine without errors. anyone knows if this ethernet freeze's or this problem it's with my laptop?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an acer 5735Z, here are the FULL specs :(

Operating System System Model

Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 2 (build 6002)

Install Language: English (United States)

System Locale: English (United Kingdom) Acer Aspire 5735 0100

System Serial Number: LXATL0Y010908062292000

Enclosure Type: Notebook

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core

64 kilobyte primary memory cache

1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

64-bit ready

Multi-core (2 total)

Not hyper-threaded Board: Acer CathedralPeak Rev

Serial Number: LXATL0Y010908062292000

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD V1.11 02/02/2009

Drives Memory Modules c,d

123.34 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

44.78 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7590S ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Hitachi HTS543216L9A300 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 090207FB2206LCJYM1JH, rev FB2OC40C, SMART Status: Healthy 2972 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'M1' has 2048 MB (serial number 4BF4202E)

Slot 'M2' has 2048 MB (serial number 3AF4202B)

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 123.34 GB 44.78 GB free

Network Drives

None detected

Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers

local user accounts last logon

Graham Howden 05/10/2009 16:31:17 (admin)

local system accounts

Administrator 02/02/2009 21:10:25 (admin)

Guest never

DISABLED Marks a disabled account; LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account

Lexmark X1100 Series on USB001

Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:

Controllers Display

IDE Channel [Controller] (4x)

Intel® ICH9M/M-E Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2929 Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family [Display adapter] (2x)

LGD LP156WH1-TLA1 [Monitor] (15.3"vis)

Bus Adapters Multimedia

Microsoft iSCSI Initiator

Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934

Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935

Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936

Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937

Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2938

Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939

Intel® ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A

Intel® ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C Realtek High Definition Audio

Virus Protection [back to Top] new Group Policies

Norton AntiVirus Version 16.7.2.11

Virus Definitions Version 05/10/2009 Rev 3

None discovered

Communications Other Devices

Agere Systems HDA Modem

Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Network Adapter

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

Launch Manager [Keyboard]

Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad [Mouse]

Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader

USB Root Hub (8x)

Generic volume shadow copy

Any help here would be greatly apprecaited as I havn't the faintest clue as to what I am doing... I know a lot about computers, but nothing about mac and certainly nothing about making it work on a PC.

I have snow leopard, but seeing as that forum doesn't seem to want to help, if you can, I will buy leopard instead

Also the chipset is GL40

• 4 weeks later...

07:00.0 System peripheral [0880]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2382]

07:00.2 SD Host controller [0805]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2381]

07:00.3 System peripheral [0880]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2383]

07:00.4 System peripheral [0880]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2384]

i cant get my sd slot to work i tried voodoosdhc.kext but that didnt work for me...

voodoosdhc.kext claims it works for jmicron but i cant get it to work.

if anyone has got this to work please help me out it is the only thing that doesnt work

i have everything else working!

thank you!

=]

07:00.0 System peripheral [0880]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2382]

07:00.2 SD Host controller [0805]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2381]

07:00.3 System peripheral [0880]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2383]

07:00.4 System peripheral [0880]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2384]

i cant get my sd slot to work i tried voodoosdhc.kext but that didnt work for me...

voodoosdhc.kext claims it works for jmicron but i cant get it to work.

if anyone has got this to work please help me out it is the only thing that doesnt work

i have everything else working!

thank you!

=]

Hi trevormiller3, the problem with your laptop, if I am correct about it using Intel GMA 4500MHD integrated graphics, is that it uses Intel GMA 4500MHD integrated graphics - which is not supported. There are people working on getting a driver together for that chip but it could be a dead end. Take a look at the Graphics Cards / Intel thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showforum=151

At the moment they don't have QE/CI working, which is a bit like running Windows in Safe mode, a number of programs/applications won't work. I would hold off until/if a solution is found. Meantime, off topic, I would be tempted to try Kubuntu 9.10, which becomes full product on Thursday 29th October - looks good, can be skinned, very fast boot time and, apparently, full support for Intel integrated chipsets in laptops.

Hello guys.

I am currently using an Acer Aspire 3738g.

The specs are as follows:

Operating System

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

Processor & Chipset

Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology, featuring

Intel® Core™2 Duo processor T6600 (2 MB L2 cache, 2.2 GHz, 800 MHz, 35 W), supporting Intel® 64 architecture

Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset

Memory

4 GB RAM DDR3

HDD

320GB S-ATA hard disc drive

Storage

8X DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive

5-in-1 card reader, supporting Secure Digital™ (SD) Card, MultiMediaCard (MMC), Memory Stick® (MS), Memory Stick PRO™ (MS PRO), xD-Picture Card™ (xD)

Display

15.6″ HD 1366 x 768 pixel resolution, high-brightness (220-nit) Acer CineCrystal™ LED-backlit TFT LCD, supporting simultaneous multi-window viewing via Acer GridVista™

16.7 million colours

16:9 aspect ratio

8 ms high-def response time

60% color gamut

Graphics

Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset with integrated 3D graphics, featuring Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (Intel® GMA 4500MHD) with up to 1759 MB of Intel® Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0 (64 MB of dedicated video memory, up to 1695 MB of shared system memory*), supporting Microsoft® DirectX® 10

HDMI™ (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) with HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) support

Acer Arcade™ Deluxe featuring Acer CinemaVision™ and Acer ClearVision™ technologies

Multimedia

Dolby®-optimized surround sound system with two built-in stereo speakers

Optimized 3rd Generation Dolby Home Theater® audio enhancement, featuring Dolby® Digital Live, Dolby® Pro Logic® IIx, Dolby® Headphone, Dolby® Natural Bass, Dolby® Sound Space Expander, Dolby® Inverse Filtering, Dolby® High Frequency Enhancer technologies

True5.1-channel surround sound output

High-definition audio support

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) support for digital speakers

MS-Sound compatible

Built-in microphone

Communication

Acer Video Conference, featuring integrated Acer Crystal Eye webcam supporting enhanced Acer PrimaLite™ technology

Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 5100/5300 (dual-band quad-mode 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N) Wi-Fi CERTIFIED® network connection, featuring MIMO technology, supporting Acer SignalUp™ with Nplify™ wireless technology or

56K ITU V.92 modem with PTT approval; Wake-on-Ring ready

Gigabit Ethernet; Wake-on-LAN ready

Bluetooth® 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)

I/O Interface

5-in-1 card reader (SD™, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD)

4x USB 2.0 ports

HDMI™ port with HDCP support

1x external display (VGA) port

1x Headphone/speaker/line-out jack

1x Microphone-in jack

Line-in jack

1x Modem (RJ-11) port

1x Ethernet (RJ-45) port

1x DC-in jack for AC adapter

Security

Acer Bio-Protection fingerprint solution, featuring Windows® logon, computer protection, Acer FingerLaunch, ProfileLaunch, MusicLaunch, Password Bank, MyLaunch, FingerNav

Slot for Kensington lock

BIOS user, supervisor, HDD passwords

Will it be able to handle iDeneb OSX with a dual boot?

Thanks in advance,

3n3rGyZ

Hello guys.

I am currently using an Acer Aspire 3738g.

The specs are as follows:

Operating System

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

Processor & Chipset

Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology, featuring

Intel® Coreâ„¢2 Duo processor T6600 (2 MB L2 cache, 2.2 GHz, 800 MHz, 35 W), supporting Intel® 64 architecture

Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset

Memory

4 GB RAM DDR3

HDD

320GB S-ATA hard disc drive

Storage

8X DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive

5-in-1 card reader, supporting Secure Digitalâ„¢ (SD) Card, MultiMediaCard (MMC), Memory Stick® (MS), Memory Stick PROâ„¢ (MS PRO), xD-Picture Cardâ„¢ (xD)

Display

15.6″ HD 1366 x 768 pixel resolution, high-brightness (220-nit) Acer CineCrystal™ LED-backlit TFT LCD, supporting simultaneous multi-window viewing via Acer GridVista™

16.7 million colours

16:9 aspect ratio

8 ms high-def response time

60% color gamut

Graphics

Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset with integrated 3D graphics, featuring Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (Intel® GMA 4500MHD) with up to 1759 MB of Intel® Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0 (64 MB of dedicated video memory, up to 1695 MB of shared system memory*), supporting Microsoft® DirectX® 10

HDMIâ„¢ (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) with HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) support

Acer Arcadeâ„¢ Deluxe featuring Acer CinemaVisionâ„¢ and Acer ClearVisionâ„¢ technologies

Multimedia

Dolby®-optimized surround sound system with two built-in stereo speakers

Optimized 3rd Generation Dolby Home Theater® audio enhancement, featuring Dolby® Digital Live, Dolby® Pro Logic® IIx, Dolby® Headphone, Dolby® Natural Bass, Dolby® Sound Space Expander, Dolby® Inverse Filtering, Dolby® High Frequency Enhancer technologies

True5.1-channel surround sound output

High-definition audio support

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) support for digital speakers

MS-Sound compatible

Built-in microphone

Communication

Acer Video Conference, featuring integrated Acer Crystal Eye webcam supporting enhanced Acer PrimaLiteâ„¢ technology

Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 5100/5300 (dual-band quad-mode 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N) Wi-Fi CERTIFIED® network connection, featuring MIMO technology, supporting Acer SignalUpâ„¢ with Nplifyâ„¢ wireless technology or

56K ITU V.92 modem with PTT approval; Wake-on-Ring ready

Gigabit Ethernet; Wake-on-LAN ready

Bluetooth® 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)

I/O Interface

5-in-1 card reader (SDâ„¢, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD)

4x USB 2.0 ports

HDMIâ„¢ port with HDCP support

1x external display (VGA) port

1x Headphone/speaker/line-out jack

1x Microphone-in jack

Line-in jack

1x Modem (RJ-11) port

1x Ethernet (RJ-45) port

1x DC-in jack for AC adapter

Security

Acer Bio-Protection fingerprint solution, featuring Windows® logon, computer protection, Acer FingerLaunch, ProfileLaunch, MusicLaunch, Password Bank, MyLaunch, FingerNav

Slot for Kensington lock

BIOS user, supervisor, HDD passwords

Will it be able to handle iDeneb OSX with a dual boot?

Thanks in advance,

3n3rGyZ

I'm afraid you have the curse of your laptop being one that uses the GMA 4500MHD graphics chip, which isn't supported, specifically no QE/CI which means some software won't run and with others the CPU will be working away at near 100%. You could either return your machine and change it for one compatible, or hold off installing until/if a driver is written for the 4500. It will be no easy task, though, and a community first if someone writes a driver from the ground up. A fine laptop, though, you might consider OS X's sister operating system, Linux; Linux Mint 8 or Kubuntu 9.10 look great. The former is still in alpha, the latter is full product and very fast, even compared to Snow Leopard and Windows 7 - not what you want to read on an OSX86 forum but something to keep you entertained, meantime!

OSX86 wise, here are the GMA 4500 threads:-

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showforum=175

For those that don't check out the modding section of this forum, I thought I'd jump in here with some Acer Extensa 5620 info...

I've posted a little guide here about doing some hardware upgrades (and modifications) to revamp this two-year-old notebook into something respectable again. Cheaper than buying a newer, less compatible model! I'm very pleased with the results- they make a huge difference. Pretty much no waiting when I go to do anything now :(

I run a retail EFI installation of 10.5.8, using Chameleon + FakeSMC + DSDT. Everything including sleep works except for: the webcam (which functions perfectly in my virtual VMware WinXP); Ethernet (only kext that works kills sleep, so bought a cheap USB Ethernet adapter instead); and the memory card reader. 100% rock solid, no stability issues. Even the Wifi indicator light and trackpad multitouch works! Very pleased with my budget laptop purchase.

I'll package up my kexts if anyone needs them.